Topic Wiki

One line summary:
Areivim USA is a dignified way to give צדקה. It is not Life Insurance and doesn't guarantee any sort of financial protection to its members. it is registered as a religious organization and as such isn't required to incur the additional cost of preparing and filing form 990 with the IRS.

http://www.areivim.info/rform.php

Eb228
I spoke to Areivim at length as I sell life insurance and wanted to best advise ppl that had Areivim already and wanted to supplement it with LI.
I was told that it has never happened that Areivim declined to pay out based on someones assets or LI. It has happened that the family told them they don't need the money, but they never told the family no.
Simple reasoning is, they also think that 100K per yasom doesn't really cover it, the program just won't allow for a higher payout at $28/ monthly. So they encourage everyone to have LI as well to make sure kids are adequetly covered, and owning LI does not disqualify a payout [unless each kid will receive over a million dollars etc].

They are tax exempt. Click on the below IRS link and then download the first attachment. Then search "Areivim USA"

https://www.irs.gov/charities-non-profits/tax-exempt-organization-search-bulk-data-downloads

This (I have been to a few Areivim meeting with these Rabbonim)

Harav Elya Brudny, Rosh Yeshivas Mir Flatbush;
Harav Yitzchok Isaac Eichenstein, Galanter Rav;
Harav Doniel Geldzahler, Rosh Yeshivas Ohr Yisrael;
Harav Binyomin Zev Landau, Tosher Dayan of Boro Park;
Harav Henoch Shachar, Rav of Klal Ohr Tuvia in Lakewood

Areivim Terms and Conditions (emphasis added):
4) Areivim USA is not life insurance. Areivim USA has been established primarily as a charitable endeavor and its halachic status is like that of all tzedakah money collected from the public. In the event of a the passing of a member r”l, all contributions can be made with maaser money.

5) In the event of (G-d forbid) a large number of deaths among members (as a result of a war, an earthquake, etc.), Areivim USA reserves the right to consult with its Rabbinical Board on proper procedures.

6) Members have no rights to sue or submit legal claims against the decisions of Areivim USA or its Rabbinical Board, including for failure to initiate a collection. There are no oral agreements or other commitments between Areivim USA and its members, and no such oral agreements or commitments shall be given any legal effect.

« Last edited by ExGingi on May 30, 2021, 11:11:03 AM »

Poll

Do you have Areivim & Life Insurance? (NOTE: Areivim is not life insurance)

Yes
49 (70%)
Only Areivim
21 (30%)

Total Members Voted: 70

Author Topic: Areivim USA - Coronavirus  (Read 146577 times)

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
Re: Areivim USA - Coronavirus
« Reply #360 on: May 03, 2020, 02:28:50 PM »
I wouldn't make assumptions based on 1 year, we would need to see the past 5-10 years.
I am making zero assumptions, only raising concerns.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #361 on: May 03, 2020, 02:29:46 PM »
You keep citing Tzedakah as if it’s somehow a counter-argument to my contention that Arevim is unsustainable.

You are simply WRONG. The reason Areivim IS sustainable is that there are no guarantees or promises, just intentions, and that is why citing Tzedakah as a counter-argument to sustainability is valid.

That doesn't mean it might not shut down when people realize that intentions ≠ promises, עאכו"כ not guarantees.

I pointed out the flaws to anyone who asked me about Areivim. I praise them as a well intentioned צדקה, and hopefully in raising awareness to Life Insurance, but point out that it is not insurance, and there are no guarantees.

Here are some changes they might want to implement in order to make it more sustainable:

• Areivim USA is registered as a 501(c)3 Religious Corporation, and as such isn't required to file form 990 with the IRS. It would be beneficial to either file such a form, or at the very least provide an annual report for transparency purposes.

• Joining Areivim should require proof of an in-force life insurance policy on the member and spouse. Such proof should be provided annually. There should be two exceptions to this requirement: a. Religious exemption (i.e. following a ruling not permitting purchase of Life Insurance - such as Stolin), or b. Uninsurable (or highly rated by insurance companies). In the case of people that don't have their own life insurance, they should be required to pay a monthly amount into a separate fund at Areivim USA. If no "claim" was filed by the time member reaches a certain point, a portion (85-95%) could be returned to the member/family and membership terminated. This monthly amount would be in addition to all other collections.

Fair point, but the odds this should happen is very high.

Beside here are some things Areivim has over LI
1. LI is only for healthy people, Areivim is for also for people with conditions.
2. LI is only for 1 person, Areivim is for both, the husband and wife.
3. For a 45 year old with 10 kids unmarried, he can still get Areivim which would be $1.1M coverage, and LI would cost him way more.

1. Addressed above. Areivim should perform some kind of basic underwriting and have a requirement for higher-risk individuals.
2. Huh? Most of my clients have life insurance on both spouses.
3. What was this 45 year old doing for the past 20 years to protect and provide for his family?
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #362 on: May 03, 2020, 02:29:55 PM »
That sounds odd that there would be different charges to different members in different months? Anyone else have similar data to share?

Anyone want to share/verify the details provided on beneficiaries were the same? If there are differences there . . . E.g. those in crown heights told the death is Manchester and those in Manchester told the death is in crown heights. . . That would make it pretty obvious something is wrong here.
The explanation can be very simple if they have different billing dates.

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #363 on: May 03, 2020, 02:32:38 PM »
Fair point, but the odds this should happen is very high.

Beside here are some things Areivim has over LI
1. LI is only for healthy people, Areivim is for also for people with conditions.
2. LI is only for 1 person, Areivim is for both, the husband and wife.
3. For a 45 year old with 10 kids unmarried, he can still get Areivim which would be $1.1M coverage, and LI would cost him way more.

Note that every single point you mentioned is a reason why relying on Areivim is foolhardy.

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #364 on: May 03, 2020, 02:33:23 PM »
You are simply WRONG. The reason Areivim IS sustainable is that there are no guarantees or promises, just intentions, and that is why citing Tzedakah as a counter-argument to sustainability is valid.
THIS!

Offline JACKBLUE

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: May 03, 2020, 02:33:48 PM »
I will look up my CC charges soon and update you. Could be I’m wrong.

Jan $28
Feb $28
March $28
April $28
May $28
June $28
Nov $7

Jan $28
Feb $7
May $28
June $21
Aug $14
Sep $28
Oct $28
Nov $21

Feb $21
Aug $28

April $28
May $21
June 28
July $28
Aug $28
Nov $28
Dec $7

Jan $28
Feb $28
March $28
April $28
June $28
July $28
Aug $28
Sep $28
Nov $28
Dec $28

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #366 on: May 03, 2020, 02:34:07 PM »
Major difference between this and LI is that in LI you always make payments, even when losses are low. This allows companies to build reserves (which accumulate interest as well) for these tail events. Had Areivim done this (and not invested the money in SUNGAMES) their liquidity/solvency would be in a much better position.
Is this a fact? Did they indeed do this? If so, they should have been shut down as soon as that became public knowledge!

Playing catch up next few years may hopefully work but wouldn't get them an AMBEST A++.

I'm also curious where the line is drawn with regards to not being subject to DOI regulations/oversight.

As I pointed out several times, Areivim is a Religious organization, and their terms provide absolutely no guarantees or promises. It will therefore never be rated by A.M. Best and not be subject to state insurance regulation (unless someone complains and says that Areivim didn't provide the coverage promised, and then if regulators decide that it looks enough like insurance, they might shut it down - but I don't think it's likely).
-- Dan

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #367 on: May 03, 2020, 02:48:58 PM »
iirc, here in Israel, (most of) the chareidi politicians got the government to heavily subsidize LI for avreichim recently. Perhaps this is s/t that the tzibbur in the US could create as well.

http://lifeinisrael.blogspot.com/2019/06/life-insurance-for-avreichim-finally.html

This seems like a case of gross misunderstanding by the reporters.

What I seem to gather from this is that avreichim who are paid a stipend by the government (indirectly?) will have a small deduction off their monthly stipend (mandatory participation - hence no adverse selection) which will provide some sort of "group term life insurance" - my guess is that such insurance will ensure that the monthly stipend continues even if the avreich passes away, G-d forbid. I doubt there is any government subsidy (beyond the actual stipend that is paid by the government in the first place).
-- Dan

Offline Toasted

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: May 03, 2020, 03:07:38 PM »
Is this a fact? Did they indeed do this? If so, they should have been shut down as soon as that became public knowledge!

As I pointed out several times, Areivim is a Religious organization, and their terms provide absolutely no guarantees or promises. It will therefore never be rated by A.M. Best and not be subject to state insurance regulation (unless someone complains and says that Areivim didn't provide the coverage promised, and then if regulators decide that it looks enough like insurance, they might shut it down - but I don't think it's likely).
First point was sarcasm. They don't save anything. Just saying that many who did end up losing their money to some ill will get rich quick scheme (endorsed by some respected people of course). Which actually highlights why insurance regulations are important for consumer protection. Insurance Co needs to invest their capital in safe/liquid vehicles.

Not sure why Religious Organization exempts you from anything. How about a religious drug company, religious car manufacturer? No oversight?

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #369 on: May 03, 2020, 03:12:22 PM »
Not sure why Religious Organization exempts you from anything. How about a religious drug company, religious car manufacturer? No oversight?

I guess it's part of the separation of church and state. If you can pull off something like https://www.spaghettimonster.org/ then I guess you can operate without filing a 990. Though I doubt you can do that while manufacturing cars for sale to the general public or doing something with controlled substances.
-- Dan

Offline YitzyS

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: May 03, 2020, 03:13:39 PM »
Hello people.

Areivim is a charity. Already said it, but I'll say it again. If they would close today, it would have been a resounding success.

Stop scrutinizing it through the lens of business. It's not a business.

Stop using Covid-19 as the microscope sample. There were many businesses with sound business plans that have been decimated by this coronavirus. Areivim worked until now, and they seem to be handling this crisis pretty reasonably.

Yes, it is okay to ask for increased transparency. But to hold them - during these times - to the standard of a typical business or a LI company - during prosperous times? You are needlessly dissuading people from partaking in a bona fide tzedakah.

End Rant.

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #371 on: May 03, 2020, 03:18:18 PM »
Hello people.

Areivim is a charity. Already said it, but I'll say it again. If they would close today, it would have been a resounding success.

Stop scrutinizing it through the lens of business. It's not a business.

Stop using Covid-19 as the microscope sample. There were many businesses with sound business plans that have been decimated by this coronavirus. Areivim worked until now, and they seem to be handling this crisis pretty reasonably.

Yes, it is okay to ask for increased transparency. But to hold them - during these times - to the standard of a typical business or a LI company - during prosperous times? You are needlessly dissuading people from partaking in a bona fide tzedakah.

End Rant.

That is great as a fundraising gimick until you hear people saying that they are relying on it instead of LI.

Offline S209

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #372 on: May 03, 2020, 03:21:10 PM »
That has been my point. They should NOT treat these deaths like regular deaths. If they do, they will go under. They need to separate these out and find a way to deal with them, because these are NOT normal times and will render them insolvent in the long run. It’s NOT OK to promise a death benefit for participating when you have no intention or way of paying out when that time comes, charity or not.
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline YitzyS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: May 03, 2020, 03:31:58 PM »
That is great as a fundraising gimick until you hear people saying that they are relying on it instead of LI.
Dear askanim,

I know that you held a fundraising drive the last few days for Ploni, a father of 11 who passed away suddenly leaving his family destitute. I appreciate the kind gesture you did by raising 1.3 million dollars for the family. Unfortunately, you are terrible people. Had you left the family to wallow in their poverty, who knows how many more parents would have seen and purchased life insurance.

Hashem repays people who do mitzvos, but sadly, you are not they. I will pray for your souls as you rot in a very special place in hell.

Thanks for reading.

OR

as I said

Stop scrutinizing it

People can blame any good organization for it's downsides. "Without TAG, less people will have smartphones". Yes, maybe. But that doesn't outweigh their benefit. People think that just by being an organization, we can take them to task for every small downside.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 03:36:08 PM by YitzyS »

Offline avromie7

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: May 03, 2020, 03:47:47 PM »
That has been my point. They should NOT treat these deaths like regular deaths. If they do, they will go under. They need to separate these out and find a way to deal with them, because these are NOT normal times and will render them insolvent in the long run. It’s NOT OK to promise a death benefit for participating when you have no intention or way of paying out when that time comes, charity or not.
based on the numbers posted above, the average year has 7 collections, with 2017 and 2019 being outliers and cancelling each other out. At that rate, right now they have around 11 months backed up but in 1 year from now that will be 6 months. They should come up with a long term solution, but the current situation is far from unworkable
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #375 on: May 03, 2020, 03:48:32 PM »
Dear askanim,

I know that you held a fundraising drive the last few days for Ploni, a father of 11 who passed away suddenly leaving his family destitute. I appreciate the kind gesture you did by raising 1.3 million dollars for the family. Unfortunately, you are terrible people. Had you left the family to wallow in their poverty, who knows how many more parents would have seen and purchased life insurance.

Hashem repays people who do mitzvos, but sadly, you are not they. I will pray for your souls as you rot in a very special place in hell.

Thanks for reading.

OR

as I said

People can blame any good organization for it's downsides. "Without TAG, less people will have smartphones". Yes, maybe. But that doesn't outweigh their benefit. People think that just by being an organization, we can take them to task for every small downside.

I fully agree that it is great as a fundraising gimmick. There is nothing wrong with it being a gimmick. It worked for all of these people! I don't think that it is a sustainable system to be relied upon. I think the numbers show that very clearly. Therefore, any thoughts that it can be used as a reliable replacement for LI is misplaced. I think it would be beneficial for the organization itself to do a better job of stressing this point.

There is nothing wrong with scrutinizing it to point out its shortcomings. That is what can help improve the organization. Just because there are criticisms doesn't mean that they are terrible people. By making it seems that I am saying this you are in essence doing exactly what you wrongly accused me of.

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #376 on: May 03, 2020, 03:50:16 PM »
based on the numbers posted above, the average year has 7 collections, with 2017 and 2019 being outliers and cancelling each other out. At that rate, right now they have around 11 months backed up but in 1 year from now that will be 6 months. They should come up with a long term solution, but the current situation is far from unworkable
Or the risk profile has evolved adversely. Which one is it? It is not currently unworkable but is showing signs of heading in that direction.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #377 on: May 03, 2020, 03:59:18 PM »

Which is the point I made above. They should REQUIRE people to prove they have in-force Life Insurance (I'm not going to get into the amount or type of life insurance discussion), and provide an alternative ONLY to those who cannot get life insurance for religious or underwriting reasons (health usually cited, but there could be other reasons such as regular travel to risky countries, driving record, criminal record, bankruptcy, etc.).
-- Dan

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #378 on: May 03, 2020, 04:00:55 PM »
Which is the point I made above. They should REQUIRE people to prove they have in-force Life Insurance (I'm not going to get into the amount or type of life insurance discussion), and provide an alternative ONLY to those who cannot get life insurance for religious or underwriting reasons (health usually cited, but there could be other reasons such as regular travel to risky countries, driving record, criminal record, bankruptcy, etc.).
Yes. I am not sure about requiring, but at least be very proactive about promoting it.

Offline yesitsme

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: May 03, 2020, 04:01:40 PM »
or rather have a checkbox "By signing I understand that this is not a life insurance replacement of any kind"