Topic Wiki

One line summary:
Areivim USA is a dignified way to give צדקה. It is not Life Insurance and doesn't guarantee any sort of financial protection to its members. it is registered as a religious organization and as such isn't required to incur the additional cost of preparing and filing form 990 with the IRS.

http://www.areivim.info/rform.php

Eb228
I spoke to Areivim at length as I sell life insurance and wanted to best advise ppl that had Areivim already and wanted to supplement it with LI.
I was told that it has never happened that Areivim declined to pay out based on someones assets or LI. It has happened that the family told them they don't need the money, but they never told the family no.
Simple reasoning is, they also think that 100K per yasom doesn't really cover it, the program just won't allow for a higher payout at $28/ monthly. So they encourage everyone to have LI as well to make sure kids are adequetly covered, and owning LI does not disqualify a payout [unless each kid will receive over a million dollars etc].

They are tax exempt. Click on the below IRS link and then download the first attachment. Then search "Areivim USA"

https://www.irs.gov/charities-non-profits/tax-exempt-organization-search-bulk-data-downloads

This (I have been to a few Areivim meeting with these Rabbonim)

Harav Elya Brudny, Rosh Yeshivas Mir Flatbush;
Harav Yitzchok Isaac Eichenstein, Galanter Rav;
Harav Doniel Geldzahler, Rosh Yeshivas Ohr Yisrael;
Harav Binyomin Zev Landau, Tosher Dayan of Boro Park;
Harav Henoch Shachar, Rav of Klal Ohr Tuvia in Lakewood

Areivim Terms and Conditions (emphasis added):
4) Areivim USA is not life insurance. Areivim USA has been established primarily as a charitable endeavor and its halachic status is like that of all tzedakah money collected from the public. In the event of a the passing of a member r”l, all contributions can be made with maaser money.

5) In the event of (G-d forbid) a large number of deaths among members (as a result of a war, an earthquake, etc.), Areivim USA reserves the right to consult with its Rabbinical Board on proper procedures.

6) Members have no rights to sue or submit legal claims against the decisions of Areivim USA or its Rabbinical Board, including for failure to initiate a collection. There are no oral agreements or other commitments between Areivim USA and its members, and no such oral agreements or commitments shall be given any legal effect.

« Last edited by ExGingi on May 30, 2021, 11:11:03 AM »

Poll

Do you have Areivim & Life Insurance? (NOTE: Areivim is not life insurance)

Yes
49 (70%)
Only Areivim
21 (30%)

Total Members Voted: 70

Author Topic: Areivim USA - Coronavirus  (Read 145460 times)

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
Re: Areivim USA - Coronavirus
« Reply #740 on: May 30, 2021, 06:06:19 PM »
So much for calling it a “request”. But it’s Tzedakah so let’s give them a free pass.

Exactly. You sign up as a member and get the זכות to get the requests for dignified donations. As long as you keep on donating for all requests while you are a member, your membership continues, and if C"V something happens to you, a similar dignified request will occur. If you decline to donate and then wish to resume your participation, you need to re-apply.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline yesitsme

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: May 30, 2021, 06:07:16 PM »
So much for calling it a “request”. But it’s Tzedakah so let’s give them a free pass.
Tzedakah is ממון שאין להן תובעים
You cant force it either way, they have policies in place how to distribute
« Last Edit: May 30, 2021, 06:13:19 PM by yesitsme »
["-"]

Offline S209

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #742 on: May 30, 2021, 06:47:21 PM »
You clearly care enough to respond to me. If everyone who signs up believes it’s charity and not insurance then I’m all for it. You believe that is the case, I don’t. Neither of us have objective proof of what anyone else believes, you have their stated terms, I have a personal experience. I don’t see any circles other than the fact that people are telling me I’m not entitled to skepticism because it’s a charity.
+1

I believe there are many (don’t know exactly how many) people who choose Areivim as a replacement for life insurance because they “can’t afford life insurance and Areivim is Ma’aser”. Spoken from the perspective of someone who’s a member and has had many conversations with people about this organization.

Like I’ve said previously, I appreciate the organization and am a member but I do believe it’s unsustainable long term. Whether that’s unforgivable not is up for debate, personally I appreciate the opportunity to help people in a dignified manner and the perceived benefit.
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline YitzyS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: May 31, 2021, 12:14:24 AM »
Btw, if anyone is interested in the first draw of Areivim handeleray, check out here: https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=40343.msg1815685#msg1815685

Offline yesitsme

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: May 31, 2021, 12:17:36 AM »
Btw, if anyone is interested in the first draw of Areivim handeleray, check out here: https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=40343.msg1815685#msg1815685
What a waste of breath
["-"]

Offline YitzyS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: May 31, 2021, 12:18:35 AM »
What a waste of breath
If you were the Chofetz Chaim you might get a smack

Offline yuneeq

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: May 31, 2021, 12:24:03 AM »
Just the name implies an acceptance of responsibility.

In arievims logo it says straight up that it's tzedaka.. they're very clear that it's tzedaka, can come from maaser etc... Whatever marketing I've seen and heard (there was a recent drive in Lakewood) they don't market as anything but tzedaka, iirc they actually incourage getting life insurance... Not quite sure what marketing you've seen and your claiming it's marketed as, I would suggest you go to the website and read they're t&c... It lays it out really clearly...

Areivim - it's in the name.  Other than that it's been a while since I've seen marketing for it.
Visibly Jewish

Offline yfr bachur

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: May 31, 2021, 09:38:46 AM »
This thread has started my chavrusa and I thinking.
We're both about 30. 2-4 kids. Learning in Kollel in EY. I'm a US and UK citizen, he's UK and Austrailian.
We have no idea what kind of life insurance we need, what is a responsible sum to be insured for, how often or why to it, even how to buy it and what it costs.
It's just easier to fill out a form for areivim when they come round the kollelim. (we both haven't done even that!)
He says he hasn't done it because "Life insurance is insuring loss of future income, I dont really have any anyway"
I wonder what percentage of young marrieds in EY are in the same boat?

Offline skyguy918

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: May 31, 2021, 10:06:02 AM »
He says he hasn't done it because "Life insurance is insuring loss of future income, I dont really have any anyway"
This wouldn't be a terrible line of reasoning IMO - if it were actually true. While many 30 year olds in kollel have not contributed significantly to their household income as yet, the number for which that will continue to be true through the rest of their working years is very small.

ETA: Also, if the household income is coming from one's spouse instead, then you should probably get LI for your spouse at the very least.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2021, 10:32:31 AM by skyguy918 »

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: May 31, 2021, 10:09:41 AM »
Curious question:

The way the Areivim USA funds/trusts are set up, are they taxable for the beneficiary?
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #750 on: May 31, 2021, 10:43:13 AM »
This thread has started my chavrusa and I thinking.
We're both about 30. 2-4 kids. Learning in Kollel in EY. I'm a US and UK citizen, he's UK and Austrailian.
We have no idea what kind of life insurance we need, what is a responsible sum to be insured for, how often or why to it, even how to buy it and what it costs.
It's just easier to fill out a form for areivim when they come round the kollelim. (we both haven't done even that!)
I wonder what percentage of young marrieds in EY are in the same boat?

Well, if this is what was accomplished by Areivim, והיה זה שכרנו.

Specifically to your question about "Life insurance is insuring loss of future income". That is actually not an accurate statement. Disability insurance insures only future income. Life insurance insures the economic loss that might be experienced due to the loss of life.

For a working person there are rules of thumb which give multiples of income based on age. Those are only rules of thumb. Remember an insurance company wants to sell as much insurance as possible, but in no way do they want to insure someone for more than they the economic impact of the risk.

If you have no current income, how are you surviving economically now? Is there a need to insure your wife as an income generating spouse and yourself as a non-working spouse (in the US insurance companies will usually allow between 50%-100% of working spouse coverage on the non-working spouse).

You can close your eyes and draw a picture of what life would be like today if you (or your wife) had died a month ago. That would help you get a picture of what you need as far as life insurance. Remember, it is there to maintain your current lifestyle without economic disruption, not to enrich anyone. Once you have your own picture, you can apply for insurance. A good insurance agent will draw a similar picture to the underwriter in order to get the amount of insurance approved.

I am familiar with the US life insurance market. My familiarity with the Israeli market is extremely limited. From what I gather it's not such a pretty picture, but it is what it is, and you need to make the best of it.
-- Dan

Offline PlatinumGuy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: May 31, 2021, 11:00:04 AM »

I am familiar with the US life insurance market. My familiarity with the Israeli market is extremely limited. From what I gather it's not such a pretty picture, but it is what it is, and you need to make the best of it.

There are plenty of international/global insurers who are also less inhibited by regulations
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #752 on: May 31, 2021, 11:03:52 AM »
There are plenty of international/global insurers who are also less inhibited by regulations

Are regulations good or bad?

Of those "plenty of international/global insurers" how many are you familiar with that will write a policy on an Israeli resident, unless we are talking about high net worth or high income person that will be paying substantial premiums?

Actual facts and observations please.
-- Dan

Offline Yosel

• View Profile
« Reply #753 on: May 31, 2021, 11:25:46 AM »
shtisim

Offline PlatinumGuy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: May 31, 2021, 12:37:10 PM »

Of those "plenty of international/global insurers" how many are you familiar with that will write a policy on an Israeli resident, unless we are talking about high net worth or high income person that will be paying substantial premiums?

Regulations are both good and bad. With health insurance US regulations force everybody buying insurance to subsidize the rest of the insurance companies customers regardless of their personal risk/expected cost, which drives the cost up dramatically for almost all customers.

Israel has no laws about offshore life insurance so there is no major global insurer that excludes Israeli residents.

Here are a few international insurers:

https://www.clements.com/insurance-solutions/you-and-your-family/international-term-life-insurance

https://globaluklife.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1p-72KT08AIVSbTtCh0Z1QKuEAMYAyAAEgJ9EvD_BwE

https://www.gninsurance.com/about-us/carriers/

The bigger names like Allianz, Geo Blue/Zurich, etc will only sell through brokers
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #755 on: May 31, 2021, 02:05:10 PM »
Regulations are both good and bad. With health insurance US regulations force everybody buying insurance to subsidize the rest of the insurance companies customers regardless of their personal risk/expected cost, which drives the cost up dramatically for almost all customers.
Irrelevant. We are talking about Life Insurance not Medical Insurance. Regulations will mostly pertain to allowable exclusions and to financial strength requirements.

Israel has no laws about offshore life insurance so there is no major global insurer that excludes Israeli residents.

FWIW, most countries don't exclude their residents from purchasing off-shore insurance. IINM Switzerland and Japan are notable exceptions.

Here are a few international insurers:

https://www.clements.com/insurance-solutions/you-and-your-family/international-term-life-insurance

https://globaluklife.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1p-72KT08AIVSbTtCh0Z1QKuEAMYAyAAEgJ9EvD_BwE

https://www.gninsurance.com/about-us/carriers/

The bigger names like Allianz, Geo Blue/Zurich, etc will only sell through brokers

Do you know ANYONE that purchased life insurance from any of these? (GeoBlue is health insurance, Allianz has subsidiaries in many countries).

It seems like non-smoker discount is the lowest rate that might be available. Have you gotten quotes and gone through underwriting? How does it compare to Israeli companies?
-- Dan

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: May 31, 2021, 02:22:15 PM »
It seems like non-smoker discount is the lowest rate that might be available. Have you gotten quotes and gone through underwriting? How does it compare to Israeli companies?

I was going to say that it makes sense if there’s a global policy that it’s more lowest-common-denominator and thus more expensive. If a company works to build compliant policies for a specific country/state then such policies are likely to be more cost-effective. You’re also likely to get a better deal choosing the cheapest such policy based on specific policy and medical terms.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #757 on: May 31, 2021, 02:28:39 PM »
I was going to say that it makes sense if there’s a global policy that it’s more lowest-common-denominator and thus more expensive. If a company works to build compliant policies for a specific country/state then such policies are likely to be more cost-effective. You’re also likely to get a better deal choosing the cheapest such policy based on specific policy and medical terms.

Which goes back to what I said earlier:

FWIW, I once wrote a policy in the US on a UK resident that was visiting the US and had family ties to the US. That person was not able to get insurance at all in the UK due to her medical background. Unfortunately, a death claim ended up being filed about 3 years after the policy was written. The death claim was paid as soon as all the paperwork was sorted out.

This was not a high net worth or high income person, but it was a permanent policy (not term insurance). It was also a different time. It would be much harder to get it approved nowadays.

Finding something online by searching does not constitute Facts or (personal) observations IMHO.

FWIW, I found a travel insurance policy that offers unbelievable coverage at any age (including over 80) at very low rates. While I did purchase it for my FIL, I would consider that very limited personal experience, as BH I have no claim experience. I did try to contact the company to contract with them to sell the product, as it seems to be a unique offering available globally, but they failed to respond to my emails. That would make me hesitant about buying a policy from them, but I did go ahead with the purchase as as it was the only offering I found.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2021, 02:36:42 PM by ExGingi »
-- Dan

Offline yfr bachur

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: May 31, 2021, 03:01:04 PM »
Thank you for your (really really condensed i'm sure) explanations. I have a few follow up questions
Specifically to your question about "Life insurance is insuring loss of future income". That is actually not an accurate statement. Disability insurance insures only future income. Life insurance insures the economic loss that might be experienced due to the loss of life.

I'm not really sure what the difference is, other than thing you might have to pay for to "make up" for the loss of one of the parents (Tutors, cleaning help etc)?

For a working person there are rules of thumb which give multiples of income based on age. Those are only rules of thumb. Remember an insurance company wants to sell as much insurance as possible, but in no way do they want to insure someone for more than they the economic impact of the risk.
Do these "rules of thumb" change based on the number of beneficiaries? The average secular family has far fewer children than the average orthodox one
If you have no current income, how are you surviving economically now? Is there a need to insure your wife as an income generating spouse and yourself as a non-working spouse (in the US insurance companies will usually allow between 50%-100% of working spouse coverage on the non-working spouse).
My wife works, and I draw a small stipend from the kollel and side jobs that equal the kollel stipend. Its not like we have huge expenses with just two children under two.

You can close your eyes and draw a picture of what life would be like today if you (or your wife) had died a month ago. That would help you get a picture of what you need as far as life insurance.
Maybe I'm some sort of naive person but, I'm not really sure what money would do. If it was me to go, my wife would have to continue working and find someone to help her raise two children (i.e. some father figure for the children). and if was her, I'd have to go to work, and find a new wife to help raise my kids. Maybe you could help me with what I'm missing.
Remember, it is there to maintain your current lifestyle without economic disruption, not to enrich anyone. Once you have your own picture, you can apply for insurance. A good insurance agent will draw a similar picture to the underwriter in order to get the amount of insurance approved.
Am I eligible for the US market? I lived 2/3 of my life in the states, most of my family still lives there...

Offline yuneeq

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: May 31, 2021, 03:18:40 PM »
Thank you for your (really really condensed i'm sure) explanations. I have a few follow up questions
I'm not really sure what the difference is, other than thing you might have to pay for to "make up" for the loss of one of the parents (Tutors, cleaning help etc)?

Income replacement - If someone is earning income of $500k/year and plans retire at 65, if executed, a policy to replace income will pay $500k/year until they turn 65. Disability insurance is used for this because if someone is disabled and can't work, they lost their entire income. It doesn't matter how much you need to live or if you have millions in the bank, you are insuring against your ability to work.

Economic loss replacement - If someone has a wife and 7 kids that they feed, school, marry, etc., if they drop one day, they want the family to still be able to eat, go to school, marry, etc. Depending on each persons family makeup and long term needs, you can insure that there will be a large enough payout to cover all those expenses down the road. Eg. How much money will be needed until the last child is married off? And then for how much will the wife need...
Visibly Jewish