Topic Wiki

One line summary:
Areivim USA is a dignified way to give צדקה. It is not Life Insurance and doesn't guarantee any sort of financial protection to its members. it is registered as a religious organization and as such isn't required to incur the additional cost of preparing and filing form 990 with the IRS.

http://www.areivim.info/rform.php

Eb228
I spoke to Areivim at length as I sell life insurance and wanted to best advise ppl that had Areivim already and wanted to supplement it with LI.
I was told that it has never happened that Areivim declined to pay out based on someones assets or LI. It has happened that the family told them they don't need the money, but they never told the family no.
Simple reasoning is, they also think that 100K per yasom doesn't really cover it, the program just won't allow for a higher payout at $28/ monthly. So they encourage everyone to have LI as well to make sure kids are adequetly covered, and owning LI does not disqualify a payout [unless each kid will receive over a million dollars etc].

They are tax exempt. Click on the below IRS link and then download the first attachment. Then search "Areivim USA"

https://www.irs.gov/charities-non-profits/tax-exempt-organization-search-bulk-data-downloads

This (I have been to a few Areivim meeting with these Rabbonim)

Harav Elya Brudny, Rosh Yeshivas Mir Flatbush;
Harav Yitzchok Isaac Eichenstein, Galanter Rav;
Harav Doniel Geldzahler, Rosh Yeshivas Ohr Yisrael;
Harav Binyomin Zev Landau, Tosher Dayan of Boro Park;
Harav Henoch Shachar, Rav of Klal Ohr Tuvia in Lakewood

Areivim Terms and Conditions (emphasis added):
4) Areivim USA is not life insurance. Areivim USA has been established primarily as a charitable endeavor and its halachic status is like that of all tzedakah money collected from the public. In the event of a the passing of a member r”l, all contributions can be made with maaser money.

5) In the event of (G-d forbid) a large number of deaths among members (as a result of a war, an earthquake, etc.), Areivim USA reserves the right to consult with its Rabbinical Board on proper procedures.

6) Members have no rights to sue or submit legal claims against the decisions of Areivim USA or its Rabbinical Board, including for failure to initiate a collection. There are no oral agreements or other commitments between Areivim USA and its members, and no such oral agreements or commitments shall be given any legal effect.

« Last edited by ExGingi on May 30, 2021, 11:11:03 AM »

Poll

Do you have Areivim & Life Insurance? (NOTE: Areivim is not life insurance)

Yes
49 (70%)
Only Areivim
21 (30%)

Total Members Voted: 70

Author Topic: Areivim USA - Coronavirus  (Read 146826 times)

Online Sammy82

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Areivim USA - Coronavirus
« Reply #960 on: June 13, 2023, 02:18:35 PM »
most of the time it was about the rabonim will have meeting........ after yom tov etc.   then there was a Trust issue (setting it up) then another meeting of the rabonim,,,,, they also had an issue that there was a charidy campaign where $300k was raised, what it has to do with these ganovim/arievim, I dont know.
The bottom line the almana has remarried by now and she and her yesomim were cheated .............

i may go public with the name, if i feel its the right thing to do............ but not yet
I have nothing to do with areivim and know very little about it. But from reading close to 1000 posts here, like the program or not, nobody claimed that they are ganavim. And my guess is that there are very chashuva rabbonim involved. I don't understand how this could happen, unless there's more to the story.

Offline Mordyk

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Some of this and some of that.
« Reply #961 on: June 13, 2023, 04:42:18 PM »
I have nothing to do with areivim and know very little about it. But from reading close to 1000 posts here, like the program or not, nobody claimed that they are ganavim. And my guess is that there are very chashuva rabbonim involved. I don't understand how this could happen, unless there's more to the story.
They should know this before they take his money for years....

I know another story. A person had a minor condition that he can live for years. He died of a totally different cause. And they did not want to pay out...
#TYH

Offline dovy2

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: June 13, 2023, 10:19:46 PM »
Are there no stories of Life insurance companies trying to wiggle out of paying?

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #963 on: June 13, 2023, 10:22:37 PM »
Are there no stories of Life insurance companies trying to wiggle out of paying?
They are regulated
Feelings don't care about your facts

Online yuneeq

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: June 13, 2023, 11:42:35 PM »
If the person wasn't covered at the time of sign up, it doesn't matter if their cause of death was unrelated to a minor issue that "they can live with for years". They weren't covered, period.

And lesson learned - don't pay for things that you aren't covered for.
Visibly Jewish

Online Sammy82

• View Profile
« Reply #965 on: June 14, 2023, 12:25:25 AM »

That minor condition MAY make it that there shouldn't be coverage. I don't know what the rules and contract say. But it's not that far-fetched. And if it's in there, I feel bad that they aren't getting the money they feel they are owed and probably need, especially at such a moment but the end of the day, it's aren't a tzedaka organization (and even tzedaka organizations have certain parameters of who they give to....)

Offline Mordyk

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Some of this and some of that.
« Reply #966 on: June 14, 2023, 01:12:28 AM »
If the person wasn't covered at the time of sign up, it doesn't matter if their cause of death was unrelated to a minor issue that "they can live with for years". They weren't covered, period.

And lesson learned - don't pay for things that you aren't covered for.
I left out details to protect the anonymity just in case.  It's minor and I believe areivim would initially cover him if it was disclosed.
#TYH

Offline yfr bachur

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: June 14, 2023, 02:23:10 AM »
I left out details to protect the anonymity just in case.  It's minor and I believe areivim would initially cover him if it was disclosed.

That may be true, but they specificaly say that if you don't disclose relevant medical info, you arn't covered.

Honestly, non disclosure of relevant medical info won't just leave you at risk of denial of insurance coverage, it's a crime called insurance fraud.

Offline incendia

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: June 14, 2023, 08:11:28 AM »
That minor condition MAY make it that there shouldn't be coverage. I don't know what the rules and contract say. But it's not that far-fetched. And if it's in there, I feel bad that they aren't getting the money they feel they are owed and probably need, especially at such a moment but the end of the day, it's aren't a tzedaka organization (and even tzedaka organizations have certain parameters of who they give to....)

If they aren't a tzdaka and they aren't an insurance what are they?

If they aren't a tzdaka why do they say you can use masser money?

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #969 on: June 14, 2023, 08:29:06 AM »

They ABSOLUTELY ARE a tzedaka.

Online Sammy82

• View Profile
« Reply #970 on: June 14, 2023, 08:31:11 AM »
If they aren't a tzdaka and they aren't an insurance what are they?
It's an organization to help the community. Not sure why it has to be one or the other. There are thousands of other types of organizations.

[/quote]If they aren't a tzdaka why do they say you can use masser money?
[/quote]
Not sure ur serious or not and I probably shouldn't be answering. But I will anyway.
There are many places you could put your maaser money. For example, making a donation to a local school, hatzalah, masaskim, etc. Are any of them tzedaka organizations? Tomchai shabbos, Masbia, and similar are tzadaka organizations that give handouts but as I mentioned, even they have certain internal (and probably external too) parameters that they would generally follow as to who they give to.

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #971 on: June 14, 2023, 08:33:34 AM »
It's an organization to help the community. Not sure why it has to be one or the other. There are thousands of other types of organizations.

If they aren't a tzdaka why do they say you can use masser money?

Not sure ur serious or not and I probably shouldn't be answering. But I will anyway.
There are many places you could put your maaser money. For example, making a donation to a local school, hatzalah, masaskim, etc. Are any of them tzedaka organizations? Tomchai shabbos, Masbia, and similar are tzadaka organizations that give handouts but as I mentioned, even they have certain internal (and probably external too) parameters that they would generally follow as to who they give to.

You need to read up on this thread (and the others about Areivim that are link therein).

Offline yos9694

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: June 14, 2023, 10:50:44 AM »

Is this question a red herring or an argument from ignorance?

Offline Yosel

• View Profile
« Reply #973 on: June 14, 2023, 01:21:16 PM »
If they don't pay out to the family, for whatever reason like @Mordyk mentioned on May 28, yet they charged the credit card of all members........... they are called in Lushen Koidesh ""GANAVIM"

Sorry!!  is there another word you would like to replace it with?
TIA

Offline Yosel

• View Profile
« Reply #974 on: June 14, 2023, 01:37:59 PM »
I think that whenever there is a questionable claim at Areivim/GANAVIM, they should ask the members via email, "are you willing to pay for this almana and her children the $28"  Like a charidy campaign

also disclose to us that they had no life insurance, and the Amana is really in Need Etc. ..............

The rabanim only meet twice a year (that my understanding) and they are sitting on money that belongs to almamnoth or should be returned to the members who's CC were charged

Offline tov hashem

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #975 on: June 14, 2023, 01:39:13 PM »
I’m waiting for the day when all Jewish services will be up for review, the way it works in the secular world

Offline Yosel

• View Profile
« Reply #976 on: June 14, 2023, 01:43:43 PM »
Can you PM me a name and i'll reach out to them to find out details, i'll post back here what answer i get from them.
I will not PM you........ I will post their name in public............ its time that klal yisroel has a look into their behavior (pansy scheme) expose them and their bank account.

BTW, can you find out what the balance is in their account today?? get us a Dollar amount, then we will check for the month of May, April, lets see the numbers, and as adults we can decide for our self ..........................

Of course I thank you in advance

Offline JACKBLUE

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: June 14, 2023, 03:27:13 PM »
I will not PM you........ I will post their name in public............ its time that klal yisroel has a look into their behavior (pansy scheme) expose them and their bank account.

BTW, can you find out what the balance is in their account today?? get us a Dollar amount, then we will check for the month of May, April, lets see the numbers, and as adults we can decide for our self ..........................

Of course I thank you in advance
Let's go post their name, what are you waiting for??? You're screaming like a kid (i'm sorry) without any info...... There's 2 sides to every story and i'd love to hear the other side, i myself know of a a few cases that did get payouts and yes their spouse DID HAVE LIFE INSURANCE, So something doesn't add up with your stories/screaming.

If anyone wants to PM me for names of Almunas that got payouts can PM me no problem.

Offline knowitall

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: June 14, 2023, 03:43:16 PM »
Let's go post their name, what are you waiting for??? You're screaming like a kid (i'm sorry) without any info...... There's 2 sides to every story and i'd love to hear the other side, i myself know of a a few cases that did get payouts and yes their spouse DID HAVE LIFE INSURANCE, So something doesn't add up with your stories/screaming.

If anyone wants to PM me for names of Almunas that got payouts can PM me no problem.
Did anyone ever claim they don’t pay out when there is life insurance?

Offline Yehudaa

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 111
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: June 14, 2023, 03:50:11 PM »
I’m sure there are, but presumably the solution is often a lawsuit. I’m sure there are lots of lawyers out there who do that for a living. Not sure that’s relevant with Areivim though.