Topic Wiki

One line summary:
Areivim USA is a dignified way to give צדקה. It is not Life Insurance and doesn't guarantee any sort of financial protection to its members. it is registered as a religious organization and as such isn't required to incur the additional cost of preparing and filing form 990 with the IRS.

http://www.areivim.info/rform.php

Eb228
I spoke to Areivim at length as I sell life insurance and wanted to best advise ppl that had Areivim already and wanted to supplement it with LI.
I was told that it has never happened that Areivim declined to pay out based on someones assets or LI. It has happened that the family told them they don't need the money, but they never told the family no.
Simple reasoning is, they also think that 100K per yasom doesn't really cover it, the program just won't allow for a higher payout at $28/ monthly. So they encourage everyone to have LI as well to make sure kids are adequetly covered, and owning LI does not disqualify a payout [unless each kid will receive over a million dollars etc].

They are tax exempt. Click on the below IRS link and then download the first attachment. Then search "Areivim USA"

https://www.irs.gov/charities-non-profits/tax-exempt-organization-search-bulk-data-downloads

This (I have been to a few Areivim meeting with these Rabbonim)

Harav Elya Brudny, Rosh Yeshivas Mir Flatbush;
Harav Yitzchok Isaac Eichenstein, Galanter Rav;
Harav Doniel Geldzahler, Rosh Yeshivas Ohr Yisrael;
Harav Binyomin Zev Landau, Tosher Dayan of Boro Park;
Harav Henoch Shachar, Rav of Klal Ohr Tuvia in Lakewood

Areivim Terms and Conditions (emphasis added):
4) Areivim USA is not life insurance. Areivim USA has been established primarily as a charitable endeavor and its halachic status is like that of all tzedakah money collected from the public. In the event of a the passing of a member r”l, all contributions can be made with maaser money.

5) In the event of (G-d forbid) a large number of deaths among members (as a result of a war, an earthquake, etc.), Areivim USA reserves the right to consult with its Rabbinical Board on proper procedures.

6) Members have no rights to sue or submit legal claims against the decisions of Areivim USA or its Rabbinical Board, including for failure to initiate a collection. There are no oral agreements or other commitments between Areivim USA and its members, and no such oral agreements or commitments shall be given any legal effect.

« Last edited by ExGingi on May 30, 2021, 11:11:03 AM »

Poll

Do you have Areivim & Life Insurance? (NOTE: Areivim is not life insurance)

Yes
49 (70%)
Only Areivim
21 (30%)

Total Members Voted: 70

Author Topic: Areivim USA - Coronavirus  (Read 146748 times)

Offline JACKBLUE

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
Re: Areivim USA - Coronavirus
« Reply #980 on: June 14, 2023, 04:03:09 PM »
Did anyone ever claim they don’t pay out when there is life insurance?
I remember seeing such posts in this thread, i may be wrong though, can't find it now. my point is that i know a few cases that got payouts no questions asked, and i'm seeing here posts that they are Ganuvim and don't give payouts, so i'm trying to get a name of a case so i can ask them and report back. That's it!

Online WayBackMachine

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: June 14, 2023, 10:32:41 PM »
That minor condition MAY make it that there shouldn't be coverage. I don't know what the rules and contract say. But it's not that far-fetched. And if it's in there, I feel bad that they aren't getting the money they feel they are owed and probably need, especially at such a moment but the end of the day, it's aren't a tzedaka organization (and even tzedaka organizations have certain parameters of who they give to....)
its is a tzedaka organization with rules just like every organization, no one gives for all blindly otherwise they will close their doors yesterday

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: June 15, 2023, 12:01:14 AM »
its is a tzedaka organization with rules just like every organization, no one gives for all blindly otherwise they will close their doors yesterday

Every month they charge members they say which family it’s going to? I wasn’t aware of that.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline JACKBLUE

• View Profile
« Reply #983 on: June 15, 2023, 12:08:19 AM »
Every month they charge members they say which family it’s going to? I wasn’t aware of that.
They don’t say a name by every collection, they just say from which city and who the Rabanim are on the case.

Offline JACKBLUE

• View Profile
« Reply #984 on: June 15, 2023, 12:09:46 AM »
They don’t say a name by every collection, they just say from which city and who the Rabanim are on the case.
This is the last email I got.

Dear Mr. and Mrs.

It is with great pain that we notify you of the untimely Petirah of an Areivim USA member, from Lakewood leaving behind a widower and five orphans R''l  Therefore, Areivim USA members are requested to donate in the month of June.

Rav Uri Deutsch, Rav of Forest Park-Lakewood will be overseeing the collection on behalf of the family.

Your card/account ending in 9369, will be debited in the amount of $42 on or about 6/1/2023 .
Please make sure this card/account is still valid. In the case it is not valid, or you would like to change the payment method, please contact us no later than Thursday May 31st with the correct information.

If you do not wish to donate, please call us by Thursday May 31st or we will assume that you want us to charge the account we have on file for the above amount.

In the zechus of of supporting almonos & yesomim in a respectful and discreet manner, may we all be spared any sorrow and may our services speedily become obsolete.

Thank you & Tizku L'Mitzvos
For any questions or for further assistance feel free to contact us at:
1-877-827-3484 / 1-866-727-3484 / 718-977-5089
By email office@areivimusa.org or by replying to this email.

Offline yfr bachur

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: June 15, 2023, 05:29:56 AM »
If anyone cared enough, they could figure out who the payout is going to by cross referencing the Areivim details with a misaskim list...

Honestly, like every insurance co, they tell you the conditions up front.
If you come from a wealthy family, hide any health issues... They told you that you wont get a payment. They also tell you upfront that the funds will be collected! The rabbanim decide where those funds go to!
If someone went to a US insurance co, took out life insurance, hid the fact that they live in Israel, have diabites and high blood pressure... and then died in a car accident... The insurance co would NOT LOSE a court case to force them to pay/
It's NOT a regular tzedaka org. Its like a healthshare, a club, where the members make a pact that if you keep the rules of the club, the rest of the members will provide X for the members survivours. It happens to be, that becuase the benificiaries are raui to get tzedaka, it's tzedaka.

Offline Yehudaa

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 111
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: June 15, 2023, 06:35:06 AM »
If anyone cared enough, they could figure out who the payout is going to by cross referencing the Areivim details with a misaskim list...
How would you know which ones on the misaskim list were Areivim members?

If you come from health issues... They told you that you wont get a payment. They also tell you upfront that the funds will be collected! The rabbanim decide where those funds go to!
If someone went to a US insurance co, took out life insurance, hid the fact that they live in Israel, have diabites and high blood pressure... and then died in a car accident... The insurance co would NOT LOSE a court case to force them to pay/
It's NOT a regular tzedaka org. Its like a healthshare, a club, where the members make a pact that if you keep the rules of the club, the rest of the members will provide X for the members survivours. It happens to be, that becuase the benificiaries are raui to get tzedaka, it's tzedaka.
I’m sure there are, but presumably the solution is often a lawsuit. I’m sure there are lots of lawyers out there who do that for a living. Not sure that’s relevant with Areivim though.

Offline yfr bachur

• View Profile
« Reply #987 on: June 15, 2023, 10:41:18 AM »
How would you know which ones on the misaskim list were Areivim members?

Petirah of an Areivim USA member, from Lakewood leaving behind a widower and five orphans R''l  Therefore, Areivim USA members are requested to donate in the month of June. Rav Uri Deutsch, Rav of Forest Park-Lakewood will be overseeing the collection on behalf of the family.

You could narrow it down to a woman from lakewood, died in april or may, who left 5 children (bonus if they live in Forest Park)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2023, 11:20:25 AM by yfr bachur »

Offline yos9694

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: June 15, 2023, 11:58:34 AM »

If you come from a wealthy family, hide any health issues... They told you that you wont get a payment. They also tell you upfront that the funds will be collected! The rabbanim decide where those funds go to!

The life insurance co would get out of paying because the guy lives in Israel, not because of lying about blood pressure and diabetes. Life insurance is issued to people with those conditions all the time, so they'd only be able to claim that the misrepresentation would have led to a higher premium, not a denial

Offline Baruch

• View Profile
« Reply #989 on: June 15, 2023, 01:39:36 PM »

From what I understand they give to wealthy families as well, if the family insists, just they first have the family's Rav try to convince not to take, but technically any family can get if they insist, besides if there's a preexisting health condition.

Offline Baruch

• View Profile
« Reply #990 on: June 15, 2023, 01:43:11 PM »
I will not PM you........ I will post their name in public............ its time that klal yisroel has a look into their behavior (pansy scheme) expose them and their bank account.

BTW, can you find out what the balance is in their account today?? get us a Dollar amount, then we will check for the month of May, April, lets see the numbers, and as adults we can decide for our self ..........................

Of course I thank you in advance
When they collected money for this almana, they named a Rav who is in charge. Everyone gave based on their trust that that Rav will take care of the family, that's what he signed on to by agreeing to give his name. It's his job to get the funds, and he can publicize that Areivim is stealing if they are. We rely on the Rabbanim to keep them honest.

Where do you come in?

Offline S209

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #991 on: June 15, 2023, 05:29:40 PM »
I will not PM you........ I will post their name in public............ its time that klal yisroel has a look into their behavior (pansy scheme) expose them and their bank account.

BTW, can you find out what the balance is in their account today?? get us a Dollar amount, then we will check for the month of May, April, lets see the numbers, and as adults we can decide for our self ..........................

Of course I thank you in advance
You have been the primary voice against Areivim calling them ganavim from day one on this thread so until and unless you actually post (or PM) a name I am inclined to believe you are completely making this up to support your previously held position.  I definitely agree that there are severe issues with the sustainability of the model but up that’s a far cry from labeling them ganavim.
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline JACKBLUE

• View Profile
« Reply #992 on: June 15, 2023, 05:31:45 PM »
You have been the primary voice against Areivim calling them ganavim from day one on this thread so until and unless you actually post (or PM) a name I am inclined to believe you are completely making this up to support your previously held position.  I definitely agree that there are severe issues with the sustainability of the model but up that’s a far cry from labeling them ganavim.
I'm still waiting for his PM with a name that he posted he will post public, which for some reason he didn't post public yet......

Offline yuneeq

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: June 15, 2023, 09:54:24 PM »

I keep hearing about the sustainability of their model. I don’t get the issue. They are not holding on to funds. When someone dies, they charge your card and disburse. They are supposed to be at $0 balance.

Worst case scenario - people leave the program and they can’t recruit new members - they can lower the disbursement. It’s not life insurance. It’s automated collective giving. And it’s been working very well for many years.
Visibly Jewish

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #994 on: June 15, 2023, 11:30:01 PM »
I keep hearing about the sustainability of their model. I don’t get the issue. They are not holding on to funds. When someone dies, they charge your card and disburse. They are supposed to be at $0 balance.

Worst case scenario - people leave the program and they can’t recruit new members - they can lower the disbursement. It’s not life insurance. It’s automated collective giving. And it’s been working very well for many years.
This has been rehashed several times, I don’t think this can last too long for several reasons but ultimately I agree with you that it will still have been a success even if/when they need to disband eventually.

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #995 on: June 16, 2023, 12:13:30 AM »
This has been rehashed several times, I don’t think this can last too long for several reasons but ultimately I agree with you that it will still have been a success even if/when they need to disband eventually.

How long is too long for it to last in your opinion? Is it a problem with the model or something that will/has changed?
From my research I can see they have been around since at least 2006.
Visibly Jewish

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #996 on: June 16, 2023, 12:37:48 AM »
How long is too long for it to last in your opinion? Is it a problem with the model or something that will/has changed?
From my research I can see they have been around since at least 2006.
I don’t think they will last a full generation of young families signing up and reaching the end of their dependence. So let’s say 40 years. I actually think they’ll last much less than that, probably not more than another 5 years or so.

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #997 on: June 16, 2023, 12:52:14 AM »
I don’t think they will last a full generation of young families signing up and reaching the end of their dependence. So let’s say 40 years. I actually think they’ll last much less than that, probably not more than another 5 years or so.

I don’t see any provided reason or logic backing that prediction. What will go wrong?
Visibly Jewish

Offline Euclid

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: June 16, 2023, 12:59:40 AM »
I don’t see any provided reason or logic backing that prediction. What will go wrong?
They need to lower the median age of the existing groups

Offline Joe4007

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #999 on: June 16, 2023, 12:33:15 PM »
They need to lower the median age of the existing groups
If the vast majority of funds are collected for unmarried children, then not sure this is true.