Topic Wiki

One line summary:
Areivim USA is a dignified way to give צדקה. It is not Life Insurance and doesn't guarantee any sort of financial protection to its members. it is registered as a religious organization and as such isn't required to incur the additional cost of preparing and filing form 990 with the IRS.

http://www.areivim.info/rform.php

Eb228
I spoke to Areivim at length as I sell life insurance and wanted to best advise ppl that had Areivim already and wanted to supplement it with LI.
I was told that it has never happened that Areivim declined to pay out based on someones assets or LI. It has happened that the family told them they don't need the money, but they never told the family no.
Simple reasoning is, they also think that 100K per yasom doesn't really cover it, the program just won't allow for a higher payout at $28/ monthly. So they encourage everyone to have LI as well to make sure kids are adequetly covered, and owning LI does not disqualify a payout [unless each kid will receive over a million dollars etc].

They are tax exempt. Click on the below IRS link and then download the first attachment. Then search "Areivim USA"

https://www.irs.gov/charities-non-profits/tax-exempt-organization-search-bulk-data-downloads

This (I have been to a few Areivim meeting with these Rabbonim)

Harav Elya Brudny, Rosh Yeshivas Mir Flatbush;
Harav Yitzchok Isaac Eichenstein, Galanter Rav;
Harav Doniel Geldzahler, Rosh Yeshivas Ohr Yisrael;
Harav Binyomin Zev Landau, Tosher Dayan of Boro Park;
Harav Henoch Shachar, Rav of Klal Ohr Tuvia in Lakewood

Areivim Terms and Conditions (emphasis added):
4) Areivim USA is not life insurance. Areivim USA has been established primarily as a charitable endeavor and its halachic status is like that of all tzedakah money collected from the public. In the event of a the passing of a member r”l, all contributions can be made with maaser money.

5) In the event of (G-d forbid) a large number of deaths among members (as a result of a war, an earthquake, etc.), Areivim USA reserves the right to consult with its Rabbinical Board on proper procedures.

6) Members have no rights to sue or submit legal claims against the decisions of Areivim USA or its Rabbinical Board, including for failure to initiate a collection. There are no oral agreements or other commitments between Areivim USA and its members, and no such oral agreements or commitments shall be given any legal effect.

« Last edited by ExGingi on May 30, 2021, 11:11:03 AM »

Poll

Do you have Areivim & Life Insurance? (NOTE: Areivim is not life insurance)

Yes
49 (70%)
Only Areivim
21 (30%)

Total Members Voted: 70

Author Topic: Areivim USA - Coronavirus  (Read 140567 times)

Offline David61

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Areivim USA - Coronavirus
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2020, 10:55:10 PM »
2010 article. were 10 years later now. under the terms and conditions there is no mention of that. It seems to be people who have no intention of collecting from areivim or people without kids or married off kids

Are you sure?  would it still be eligible for maser funds if the recipients are well off financially from an insurance policy?

Offline nucheiner

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2020, 10:56:31 PM »
I don’t think families are eligible for benefits under their plan if you have life insurance.

Plan documents:
“In the event of (G-d forbid) a large number of deaths among members (as a result of a war, an earthquake, etc.), Areivim USA reserves the right to consult with its Rabbinical Board on proper procedures.”

This was not unanticipated:
http://www.rabbihorowitz.com/PYes/articleDetails.cfm?Book_ID=1310&ThisGroup_ID=262&Type=article
According to the "written Agreement" this is certainly one of the G-d forbid events and needs Rabbinical Board intervention. The organization needs to be able to "move on" and deal with its regular case load or the system will be overwhelmed which will certainly keep new members away and may even cause people to quit. Its nice to have rachmanus but there is a clause for this very situation for a reason. This is a tough call, so I assume they want to see the membership supporting a "cash call" so they can help everyone and yet stay solvent. Otherwise they may be forced to lets say pool 12 months of collections and divide it proportionately between the cases.

Another misfortune of this whole mess.
Another reason not to be a Rabbi who needs to make these calls.

Offline michael

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2020, 10:56:52 PM »
That article is also about Kol Yisroel Areivim, which was, back in 2010, a competitor to Areivim USA. No longer around.

Offline JACKBLUE

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2020, 10:59:17 PM »
1. Even if you have life insurance you get their benefit.
2. They are giving for all people that died from Covid.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 12:50:15 AM by JACKBLUE »

Offline EliJelly

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2020, 11:13:39 PM »
I'm waiting for my filter to open the survey site.
Same here, still no access. Is the main question whether a lump sum or not? If so I won't bother, I'll let others decide.

Offline David61

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 01, 2020, 12:09:18 AM »

Why is there not a single person‘s name, rabbinical endorsement, 501c3 number, or auditors letter on the website?

I’m not saying this is a fraud but how do you know that it’s not? ( E.g. how do you know don’t collect much more than they distribute?)

Why would a legitimate organization maintain that level of anonymity and not have rabbinical endorsements, or details of the members of a board overseeing it?

Even collectors seeking a few dollars in shul are expected to have documents verifying their legitimacy.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 12:14:18 AM by David61 »

Offline Yehudaa

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 111
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 01, 2020, 12:25:29 AM »

Why is there not a single person‘s name, rabbinical endorsement, 501c3 number, or auditors letter on the website?

I’m not saying this is a fraud but how do you know that it’s not? ( E.g. how do you know don’t collect much more than they distribute?)

Why would a legitimate organization maintain that level of anonymity and not have rabbinical endorsements, or details of the members of a board overseeing it?

Even collectors seeking a few dollars in shul are expected to have documents verifying their legitimacy.

Per https://hamodia.com/2020/04/28/reaffirms-commitment-mourning-families-amid-coronavirus-crisis/ :

Last Thursday, Areivim convened two meetings, one of its governing board and another of its Rabbinical board...The second meeting was conducted by telephone and included Harav Elya Brudny, Rosh Yeshivas Mir Flatbush; Harav Yitzchok Isaac Eichenstein, Galanter Rav; Harav Doniel Geldzahler, Rosh Yeshivas Ohr Yisrael; Harav Binyomin Zev Landau, Tosher Dayan of Boro Park; and Harav Henoch Shachar, Rav of Klal Ohr Tuvia in Lakewood.

Offline David61

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 01, 2020, 12:46:43 AM »
Thank you.

Do these rabbonim or others oversee an audit of the books?

If so their names should be on the website. (the absence is quite unusual I think)

If not how do you know the funds are fully distributed . . . unless you personally know and trust the organizer.

Offline myi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 356
    • View Profile
  • Programs: 2Many2List!
« Reply #48 on: May 01, 2020, 01:04:45 AM »

2010 article. were 10 years later now. under the terms and conditions there is no mention of that. It seems to be people who have no intention of collecting from areivim or people without kids or married off kids
I signed up back in Yeshiva while i was a Bachur there. Was amazed by the organization and wanted to give a one time donation of $28, but they told me that it would go towards the office costs(meaning the expenses to run the office), and if you would want to have it go to the organization, you would need to sign up and then cancel when you like.             
        But B"H many years later i'm still on it, happy to be able to give!

Really a beautiful Organization, worth every penny i so far gave to be able to support such a wonderful organization.
I remember when they came to BMG to get some more applicants, Over a thousand applicants signed up, lots of people were amazed with the beautiful job they do for those who unfortunately need to collect from these funds.

Didn't read the survey, just the email i happen to glace at, but yes this will definitely be hard for some to give out extra cash that they don't have, they have x amount of maaser and not necessarily the extra 400 or extra 50 a month, lots of the members who signed up are guys learning in Kollel or are not necessarily making a fortune, so whatever they do end up doing they got to make sure it works for everyone, unless they can pull it off by finding a donor to give whats needed in one lump sum.

But whatever the case is, its a wonderful; organization and for those whom didn't sign up yet, check it out and think about signing up, a big zchus. You can always cancel if its out of your budget, Believe it or not they email and call you before each collection date(probably 5-6 days before and notify the exact amount, they tell you if you don't like to donate please call before this and this date.
Aside for the beautiful work they do, they manage to still do it while being honest with the members and not just taking money with no warnings.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 01:10:36 AM by myi »
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline Proisrael

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG,Hilton,Club Carlson
« Reply #49 on: May 01, 2020, 02:50:32 AM »
Why do they exclude residents of Israel? Would have loved to sign up for this!

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 01, 2020, 06:26:24 AM »
Unpopular opinion:

Arevim should find a way to (raise the funds to) pay the $7.5 million in COVID-19 claims, then dissolve so they don’t continue to give people a false sense of security.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline Chapshnell

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Delta Skypesos, AA Shilling, AS Pounds.
« Reply #51 on: May 01, 2020, 07:29:21 AM »

Isnt there one in Israel?

Offline JACKBLUE

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 01, 2020, 07:45:38 AM »
Isnt there one in Israel?
There is.

Offline JACKBLUE

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 01, 2020, 07:48:35 AM »
Unpopular opinion:

Arevim should find a way to (raise the funds to) pay the $7.5 million in COVID-19 claims, then dissolve so they don’t continue to give people a false sense of security.
The whole idea of Areivim is that there shouldn’t have to be campaigns for people (and there shouldn’t be pics and vids of the orphans crying by the Levaya, or a video of an Amlona crying that she needs food in her house) rather by collecting small amounts of all members they can raise the funds.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 01, 2020, 08:15:45 AM »
The whole idea of Areivim is that there shouldn’t have to be campaigns for people (and there shouldn’t be pics and vids of the orphans crying by the Levaya, or a video of an Amlona crying that she needs food in her house) rather by collecting small amounts of all members they can raise the funds.

Then have a charity that raises funds for this cause. Implying on the one hand that there will be funds available when needed, and OTOH capping it at $28 a month, is unsustainable. If they lose a bunch of members now when they suddenly ask them for $400, then the $400 from the remaining members won’t cut it.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Online yungermanchik

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: Previous Signatures: If you chapped hana'ah from a post, like it; You think you know the answers and things are the way they seem.. it just ain't so -The Rebbe from Lublin-
« Reply #55 on: May 01, 2020, 08:19:59 AM »
Then have a charity that raises funds for this cause. Implying on the one hand that there will be funds available when needed, and OTOH capping it at $28 a month, is unsustainable. If they lose a bunch of members now when they suddenly ask them for $400, then the $400 from the remaining members won’t cut it.
On the contrary, I (and others on the forum) just joined now (with the knowledge that they need the extra money)
Small people talk about other people.
Average people talk about things
BIG PEOPLE TALK ABOUT IDEAS.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 01, 2020, 08:21:00 AM »
On the contrary, I (and others on the forum) just joined now (with the knowledge that they need the extra money)

Let’s see how the cards fall.

Offline Chapshnell

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Delta Skypesos, AA Shilling, AS Pounds.
« Reply #57 on: May 01, 2020, 08:22:29 AM »
Let’s see how the cards fall.

Been working for a very long time!
Its a good system!

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 01, 2020, 08:23:07 AM »
Been working for a very long time!
Its a good system!

Ponzi schemes all “work” until they collapse. Even with traditional life insurance they only collect premiums while the insured is alive, hence you would only find out if they were broke once they had to pay a claim. This is a reason why insurance is highly regulated, there’s a lot of space for mismanagement (and fraud) that could cause customers to get left holding the bag when the company goes insolvent.

Offline Mordyk

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Some of this and some of that.
« Reply #59 on: May 01, 2020, 08:50:12 AM »
Ponzi schemes all “work” until they collapse. Even with traditional life insurance they only collect premiums while the insured is alive, hence you would only find out if they were broke once they had to pay a claim. This is a reason why insurance is highly regulated, there’s a lot of space for mismanagement (and fraud) that could cause customers to get left holding the bag when the company goes insolvent.
I wish this wasn't the case with Areivim. But i agree with you
#TYH