Topic Wiki

One line summary:
Areivim USA is a dignified way to give צדקה. It is not Life Insurance and doesn't guarantee any sort of financial protection to its members. it is registered as a religious organization and as such isn't required to incur the additional cost of preparing and filing form 990 with the IRS.

http://www.areivim.info/rform.php

Eb228
I spoke to Areivim at length as I sell life insurance and wanted to best advise ppl that had Areivim already and wanted to supplement it with LI.
I was told that it has never happened that Areivim declined to pay out based on someones assets or LI. It has happened that the family told them they don't need the money, but they never told the family no.
Simple reasoning is, they also think that 100K per yasom doesn't really cover it, the program just won't allow for a higher payout at $28/ monthly. So they encourage everyone to have LI as well to make sure kids are adequetly covered, and owning LI does not disqualify a payout [unless each kid will receive over a million dollars etc].

They are tax exempt. Click on the below IRS link and then download the first attachment. Then search "Areivim USA"

https://www.irs.gov/charities-non-profits/tax-exempt-organization-search-bulk-data-downloads

This (I have been to a few Areivim meeting with these Rabbonim)

Harav Elya Brudny, Rosh Yeshivas Mir Flatbush;
Harav Yitzchok Isaac Eichenstein, Galanter Rav;
Harav Doniel Geldzahler, Rosh Yeshivas Ohr Yisrael;
Harav Binyomin Zev Landau, Tosher Dayan of Boro Park;
Harav Henoch Shachar, Rav of Klal Ohr Tuvia in Lakewood

Areivim Terms and Conditions (emphasis added):
4) Areivim USA is not life insurance. Areivim USA has been established primarily as a charitable endeavor and its halachic status is like that of all tzedakah money collected from the public. In the event of a the passing of a member r”l, all contributions can be made with maaser money.

5) In the event of (G-d forbid) a large number of deaths among members (as a result of a war, an earthquake, etc.), Areivim USA reserves the right to consult with its Rabbinical Board on proper procedures.

6) Members have no rights to sue or submit legal claims against the decisions of Areivim USA or its Rabbinical Board, including for failure to initiate a collection. There are no oral agreements or other commitments between Areivim USA and its members, and no such oral agreements or commitments shall be given any legal effect.

« Last edited by ExGingi on May 30, 2021, 11:11:03 AM »

Poll

Do you have Areivim & Life Insurance? (NOTE: Areivim is not life insurance)

Yes
49 (70%)
Only Areivim
21 (30%)

Total Members Voted: 70

Author Topic: Areivim USA - Coronavirus  (Read 144058 times)

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
Re: Areivim USA - Coronavirus
« Reply #100 on: May 01, 2020, 11:16:44 AM »

I am a big proponent of/for Areivim. While I am not personally on, as I have LI, i have made one time contributions.

Just look here at how someone who HAS LI is considering Areivim a replacement.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Kobe Bryant

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 01, 2020, 11:20:00 AM »
Did you guys see the survey they sent out about collecting for the 16 families that the parent passed away? Curious what you all answered if youre willing to share.

They need to raise $8m
They are questioning whether to bill everyone $400 one time shot or different amounts and it will take 3 years etc.

Great organization! Tough times!

I have term life insurance bh but I also am signed up for areivim & I am a big believer in the organization for many reasons starting from a tzedaka perspective & from a self interest perspective of course too. If you havent signed up you should look into it

Didn't go through the entire thread, but looked into Areivim in the past, as i am a big proponent that every married person has a responsibility to their spouse and kids to make sure they are taken care of in an unfortunate event CV, and therefore if one cant self insure, they must have life insurance.
It's important to note that many don't qualify for Areivim based on income (and possibly even based on assets/networth).
Although i assume many donate on a monthly basis as Segula and a worthy cause.

Does anyone know if one would qualify if they have a life insurance policy?

Offline dealfinder11

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 01, 2020, 11:26:40 AM »
Just look here at how someone who HAS LI is considering Areivim a replacement.

Not to be understood, I never considered it as a replacement personally. I am aware of many who wouldn’t have any life insurance regardless and only have security because of Areivim. IME with people I have spoken to, most people who are smart enough to look at Areivim as a life insurance replacement, are smart enough to realize they should have real LI.

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 01, 2020, 11:32:18 AM »
Didn't go through the entire thread, but looked into Areivim in the past, as i am a big proponent that every married person has a responsibility to their spouse and kids to make sure they are taken care of in an unfortunate event CV, and therefore if one cant self insure, they must have life insurance.
It's important to note that many don't qualify for Areivim based on income (and possibly even based on assets/networth).
Although i assume many donate on a monthly basis as Segula and a worthy cause.

If you truly care about your spouse then you should make sure that they have this security.

Offline mgarfin

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 01, 2020, 11:36:40 AM »

From my understanding, it is up to the family and their rabonim to determine if a collection should me initiated if there are other assets.

In almost lots of cases, a 1m LI is not enough to get the kids married off and alow for the surviving parent to remarry without new spouse taking over the burden

Offline Chapshnell

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Delta Skypesos, AA Shilling, AS Pounds.
« Reply #105 on: May 01, 2020, 11:37:36 AM »
If you truly care about your spouse then you should make sure that they have this security.

if you are responsible enough to get married & have kids you should be responsible enough to get life insurance, I am not an agent, no strings attached, totally unbiased.
Dont leave your almana & kids to the rachmunis of others. Everyone can afford "some" life insurance, even a smaller policy

Offline Kobe Bryant

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 01, 2020, 11:39:44 AM »

Not sure what your addressing.

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 01, 2020, 11:42:21 AM »
if you are responsible enough to get married & have kids you should be responsible enough to get life insurance, I am not an agent, no strings attached, totally unbiased.
Dont leave your almana & kids to the rachmunis of others. Everyone can afford "some" life insurance, even a smaller policy

I agree but I am stressing not the responsibility aspect but how truly caring about your spouse and children should mean giving them this security. Do you care enough about your family to want to ensure that the ability to keep their home, put food on the table, have respectable simchos, etc without being dragged through having parlor meetings around town for the family that nebach needs it? Even that is better than the families affected now and are being dragged around the world but ending up with half the amount of funds needed.

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 01, 2020, 11:43:01 AM »
Not sure what your addressing.

Does this explain it better?

I agree but I am stressing not the responsibility aspect but how truly caring about your spouse and children should mean giving them this security. Do you care enough about your family to want to ensure that the ability to keep their home, put food on the table, have respectable simchos, etc without being dragged through having parlor meetings around town for the family that nebach needs it? Even that is better than the families affected now and are being dragged around the world but ending up with half the amount of funds needed.

Offline Kobe Bryant

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 01, 2020, 11:46:41 AM »
Does this explain it better?

NOPE!
Not sure where in my post you deduced, that my DW and myself do not have a LI policy that we feel would be sufficient enough to cover what we need and more!

Offline Chapshnell

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Delta Skypesos, AA Shilling, AS Pounds.
« Reply #110 on: May 01, 2020, 11:46:58 AM »

First of all IN MY OPINION there is no shame for any family that is collecting now (Corona). Its my opinion... B"H Hashem didn't & shouldn't test me. Tremendous funds are coming in & I am sure many of them had Life Insurance, areivim etc. as well. You mentioned previously that parlor meetings bring in more, call me naive but no parlor meeting brings in $250k-$1m
Sorry, the tzedaka events in peoples houses I know raise about $20k-$40k max if its successful.

Offline JMHO

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 01, 2020, 11:48:24 AM »
From my understanding, it is up to the family and their rabonim to determine if a collection should me initiated if there are other assets.
Any idea who their Rabonim are?

Offline dealfinder11

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 01, 2020, 11:58:01 AM »
You mentioned previously that parlor meetings bring in more, call me naive but no parlor meeting brings in $250k-$1m
Sorry, the tzedaka events in peoples houses I know raise about $20k-$40k max if its successful.

They make a parlor meeting in every neighborhood each time. Most times the funds well exceed $1M. Regardless it is far from an ideal situation.

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 01, 2020, 11:58:56 AM »
NOPE!
Not sure where in my post you deduced, that my DW and myself do not have a LI policy that we feel would be sufficient enough to cover what we need and more!
Oh you thought I was addressing you personally? Just the opposite! I am agreeing with you and adding to it!

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 01, 2020, 12:01:37 PM »
First of all IN MY OPINION there is no shame for any family that is collecting now (Corona). Its my opinion... B"H Hashem didn't & shouldn't test me. Tremendous funds are coming in & I am sure many of them had Life Insurance, areivim etc. as well. You mentioned previously that parlor meetings bring in more, call me naive but no parlor meeting brings in $250k-$1m

I am familiar with the local parlor meeting system in Lakewood and sponsor many of them. I am also involved with some now and I am extremely concerned about the financial viability of the current group of families. We are looking at half the amount being raised for them.

How many parlor meetings do you think are held?

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 01, 2020, 12:04:09 PM »
First of all IN MY OPINION there is no shame for any family that is collecting now (Corona).
Why would it be less for a family of a corona victim than the family of a cancer vitim or of a car crash?

Offline Cholentfresser

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 01, 2020, 12:14:48 PM »
They were pushing everyone in my community to sign up a couple years ago. At the time, I found it weird that they were saying that a) this does not replace life insurance and b) if someone who is signed up c'v passes away, they would determine if the family needs the funds...

I understood that as "this isn't life insurance, but if you sign up with us, and also have life insurance, we won't pay out to your family." Which basically means that it's pure tzedakah.
In order to understand recursion, you first need to understand recursion.

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 01, 2020, 12:19:59 PM »
They were pushing everyone in my community to sign up a couple years ago. At the time, I found it weird that they were saying that a) this does not replace life insurance and b) if someone who is signed up c'v passes away, they would determine if the family needs the funds...

I understood that as "this isn't life insurance, but if you sign up with us, and also have life insurance, we won't pay out to your family." Which basically means that it's pure tzedakah.
THIS IS PURE TZEDAKA!

Offline JMHO

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 01, 2020, 12:24:59 PM »
THIS IS PURE TZEDAKA!
Typically Tzedaka's have Rabbinic leadership or a group of named askanim. Who is Areivim's?

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 01, 2020, 12:30:38 PM »
Typically Tzedaka's have Rabbinic leadership or a group of named askanim. Who is Areivim's?
I think you asked this already. I personally do not know. You haven't answered this:

Why aren't they helping people?