Topic Wiki

One line summary:
Areivim USA is a dignified way to give צדקה. It is not Life Insurance and doesn't guarantee any sort of financial protection to its members. it is registered as a religious organization and as such isn't required to incur the additional cost of preparing and filing form 990 with the IRS.

http://www.areivim.info/rform.php

Eb228
I spoke to Areivim at length as I sell life insurance and wanted to best advise ppl that had Areivim already and wanted to supplement it with LI.
I was told that it has never happened that Areivim declined to pay out based on someones assets or LI. It has happened that the family told them they don't need the money, but they never told the family no.
Simple reasoning is, they also think that 100K per yasom doesn't really cover it, the program just won't allow for a higher payout at $28/ monthly. So they encourage everyone to have LI as well to make sure kids are adequetly covered, and owning LI does not disqualify a payout [unless each kid will receive over a million dollars etc].

They are tax exempt. Click on the below IRS link and then download the first attachment. Then search "Areivim USA"

https://www.irs.gov/charities-non-profits/tax-exempt-organization-search-bulk-data-downloads

This (I have been to a few Areivim meeting with these Rabbonim)

Harav Elya Brudny, Rosh Yeshivas Mir Flatbush;
Harav Yitzchok Isaac Eichenstein, Galanter Rav;
Harav Doniel Geldzahler, Rosh Yeshivas Ohr Yisrael;
Harav Binyomin Zev Landau, Tosher Dayan of Boro Park;
Harav Henoch Shachar, Rav of Klal Ohr Tuvia in Lakewood

Areivim Terms and Conditions (emphasis added):
4) Areivim USA is not life insurance. Areivim USA has been established primarily as a charitable endeavor and its halachic status is like that of all tzedakah money collected from the public. In the event of a the passing of a member r”l, all contributions can be made with maaser money.

5) In the event of (G-d forbid) a large number of deaths among members (as a result of a war, an earthquake, etc.), Areivim USA reserves the right to consult with its Rabbinical Board on proper procedures.

6) Members have no rights to sue or submit legal claims against the decisions of Areivim USA or its Rabbinical Board, including for failure to initiate a collection. There are no oral agreements or other commitments between Areivim USA and its members, and no such oral agreements or commitments shall be given any legal effect.

« Last edited by ExGingi on May 30, 2021, 11:11:03 AM »

Poll

Do you have Areivim & Life Insurance? (NOTE: Areivim is not life insurance)

Yes
49 (70%)
Only Areivim
21 (30%)

Total Members Voted: 70

Author Topic: Areivim USA - Coronavirus  (Read 140598 times)

Offline S209

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
Re: Areivim USA - Coronavirus
« Reply #120 on: May 01, 2020, 12:31:49 PM »
Add options for no areivim and yes or no life insurance, to see the difference. I know @ExGingi already has a thread but that incorporates both Areivim and non-Areivim members, and I don’t think the sample size is big enough to compare against
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline yesitsme

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 01, 2020, 12:33:13 PM »
I don't have life insurance I only have Areivim because its a charity and not a life insurance
["-"]

Offline Chapshnell

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Delta Skypesos, AA Shilling, AS Pounds.
« Reply #122 on: May 01, 2020, 12:35:39 PM »
Why would it be less for a family of a corona victim than the family of a cancer vitim or of a car crash?

Again, my opinion: When you have many many funds opened up & klal yisroel is in a giving mode & this is the norm now its not embarrassing. I cant talk for anyone though. I feel terrible for these families & thats why I donate to each one.

Online JMHO

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 01, 2020, 12:39:54 PM »
I think you asked this already. I personally do not know. You haven't answered this:
Why aren't they helping people?

Perhaps they are, perhaps they are not.

Without leadership and transparency, who knows what they are doing?

I certainly hope someone isn't just lining their pockets.

Are they even a 501c3?!

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #124 on: May 01, 2020, 12:41:24 PM »
Perhaps they are, perhaps they are not.

Without leadership and transparency, who knows what they are doing?

I certainly hope someone isn't just lining their pockets.

Are they even a 501c3?!

I know families who partially avoided needing fundraising efforts due to Areivim.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #125 on: May 01, 2020, 12:49:04 PM »
I know families who partially avoided needing fundraising efforts due to Areivim.
Hence, people are relying on Areivim for life insurance. If those people drop out, the price will continue to go up for everyone, and they will end up in a death spiral. Which brings me back to my original point.

This is a difficult situation but I don’t think they should just raise the price for everyone. Perhaps a voluntary contribution option, and if there’s a difference the family gets less or they try to fundraise somehow? It’s tough.

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #126 on: May 01, 2020, 12:57:25 PM »
Hence, people are relying on Areivim for life insurance. If those people drop out, the price will continue to go up for everyone, and they will end up in a death spiral. Which brings me back to my original point.

This is a difficult situation but I don’t think they should just raise the price for everyone. Perhaps a voluntary contribution option, and if there’s a difference the family gets less or they try to fundraise somehow? It’s tough.
Note the "partially".

Yes they collected tzedaka from Areivim members for the family. That is a life insurance policy just as effective as parlor meetings.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #127 on: May 01, 2020, 01:08:57 PM »
Note the "partially".

Yes they collected tzedaka from Areivim members for the family. That is a life insurance policy just as effective as parlor meetings.
Correct. So these people were NOT properly insured, and relied on Areivim. I strongly believe there are many who rely on Areivim for life insurance, and they will drop out if the price rises, causing it to fall apart. I’m speaking anecdotally from asking around. “Do you have life insurance?” “Not yet, I really should get. I do have Areivim though..”

My point has been that raising the price in a mandatory fashion will destroy the organization

Offline mgarfin

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 01, 2020, 01:09:49 PM »
Typically Tzedaka's have Rabbinic leadership or a group of named askanim. Who is Areivim's?

Offline JuryDuty

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 01, 2020, 01:13:33 PM »
So let me get this straight:

A person signing up is doing so for tzedaka.
That person is supposed to have life insurance and is not the intended beneficiary.
A beneficiary is only one who has signed up.
If you sign up for the benefits, you should really get life insurance instead.

For those reasons, I'm out.
Jury Duty: Nothing to do there but chill and write a TR. Kinda like the beach but missing the view and ocean breeze.

Online JMHO

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 01, 2020, 01:15:01 PM »

Is this public information or your experience? I don't see this information on their website or marketing materials.

Offline mgarfin

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 01, 2020, 01:23:33 PM »
Is this public information or your experience? I don't see this information on their website or marketing materials.
My knowledge.

The website hasn't been updated in a long time.
Mostly as its based on volunteers ....

Offline Chapshnell

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Delta Skypesos, AA Shilling, AS Pounds.
« Reply #132 on: May 01, 2020, 01:29:40 PM »
So let me get this straight:

A person signing up is doing so for tzedaka.
That person is supposed to have life insurance and is not the intended beneficiary.
A beneficiary is only one who has signed up.
If you sign up for the benefits, you should really get life insurance instead.

For those reasons, I'm out.

no sir, I have life insurance & this is an extra help C"V if something happens. And if I pay for nothing which I hope to do. (nothing meaning B"H I have the zchus of "nothing" to pay tzedaka) then thats great.

Offline Cholentfresser

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 01, 2020, 01:32:41 PM »
no sir, I have life insurance & this is an extra help C"V if something happens.
I'm not so sure that's accurate. They say that they will determine if the family needs the funds. If you have life insurance, would they say your family needs their funds? I assume not.
In order to understand recursion, you first need to understand recursion.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #134 on: May 01, 2020, 01:40:35 PM »
I'm not so sure that's accurate. They say that they will determine if the family needs the funds. If you have life insurance, would they say your family needs their funds? I assume not.
Perhaps if life insurance doesn’t pay out, or he’s not insured enough, it’s a security blanket?

To all those saying it’s wrong to rely on this for life insurance, what if I need 1M of life insurance, can I get 600K of coverage and rely on this to fill the rest? That would lead to the same conclusion I was trying to make.

Offline Eb228

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: May 01, 2020, 01:42:14 PM »

I spoke to Areivim at length as I sell life insurance and wanted to best advise ppl that had Areivim already and wanted to supplement it with LI.
I was told that it has never happened that Areivim declined to pay out based on someones assets or LI. It has happened that the family told them they don't need the money, but they never told the family no.
Simple reasoning is, they also think that 100K per yasom doesn't really cover it, the program just won't allow for a higher payout at $28/ monthly. So they encourage everyone to have LI as well to make sure kids are adequetly covered, and owning LI does not disqualify a payout [unless each kid will receive over a million dollars etc].

Offline Eb228

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 01, 2020, 01:47:38 PM »
To all those saying it’s wrong to rely on this for life insurance, what if I need 1M of life insurance, can I get 600K of coverage and rely on this to fill the rest? That would lead to the same conclusion I was trying to make.

That is what I advise ppl buying term insurance from me.  Calculate how much more you need than what Areivim will pay.
Currently  in Lakewood, if someone dies with no Areivim or LI, the askanim try to raise 180K per yasom, and another 180K per 3 yesomoim for the almana.
So if you have 3 kids, Areivim would pay 400K, but the askanim calculate the need to be 720K. So a 320K policy will do it.
Though you may want to get a little more [500K etc.] so as not to have to buy another small policy  every time you have another kid.

Offline michael

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 01, 2020, 01:48:28 PM »
They are tax exempt. Click on the below IRS link and then download the first attachment. Then search "Areivim USA"

https://www.irs.gov/charities-non-profits/tax-exempt-organization-search-bulk-data-downloads

Offline Cholentfresser

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 01, 2020, 01:48:41 PM »
That's helpful. I was going based off what it said in their terms, but if you're saying that they'll still pay out even if someone already has LI (and won't say that since they have LI, they don't "need" it), well, that's different.
In order to understand recursion, you first need to understand recursion.

Offline yesitsme

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 01, 2020, 01:57:20 PM »
wiki updated
["-"]