Topic Wiki

One line summary:
Areivim USA is a dignified way to give צדקה. It is not Life Insurance and doesn't guarantee any sort of financial protection to its members. it is registered as a religious organization and as such isn't required to incur the additional cost of preparing and filing form 990 with the IRS.

http://www.areivim.info/rform.php

Eb228
I spoke to Areivim at length as I sell life insurance and wanted to best advise ppl that had Areivim already and wanted to supplement it with LI.
I was told that it has never happened that Areivim declined to pay out based on someones assets or LI. It has happened that the family told them they don't need the money, but they never told the family no.
Simple reasoning is, they also think that 100K per yasom doesn't really cover it, the program just won't allow for a higher payout at $28/ monthly. So they encourage everyone to have LI as well to make sure kids are adequetly covered, and owning LI does not disqualify a payout [unless each kid will receive over a million dollars etc].

They are tax exempt. Click on the below IRS link and then download the first attachment. Then search "Areivim USA"

https://www.irs.gov/charities-non-profits/tax-exempt-organization-search-bulk-data-downloads

This (I have been to a few Areivim meeting with these Rabbonim)

Harav Elya Brudny, Rosh Yeshivas Mir Flatbush;
Harav Yitzchok Isaac Eichenstein, Galanter Rav;
Harav Doniel Geldzahler, Rosh Yeshivas Ohr Yisrael;
Harav Binyomin Zev Landau, Tosher Dayan of Boro Park;
Harav Henoch Shachar, Rav of Klal Ohr Tuvia in Lakewood

Areivim Terms and Conditions (emphasis added):
4) Areivim USA is not life insurance. Areivim USA has been established primarily as a charitable endeavor and its halachic status is like that of all tzedakah money collected from the public. In the event of a the passing of a member r”l, all contributions can be made with maaser money.

5) In the event of (G-d forbid) a large number of deaths among members (as a result of a war, an earthquake, etc.), Areivim USA reserves the right to consult with its Rabbinical Board on proper procedures.

6) Members have no rights to sue or submit legal claims against the decisions of Areivim USA or its Rabbinical Board, including for failure to initiate a collection. There are no oral agreements or other commitments between Areivim USA and its members, and no such oral agreements or commitments shall be given any legal effect.

« Last edited by ExGingi on May 30, 2021, 11:11:03 AM »

Poll

Do you have Areivim & Life Insurance? (NOTE: Areivim is not life insurance)

Yes
49 (70%)
Only Areivim
21 (30%)

Total Members Voted: 70

Author Topic: Areivim USA - Coronavirus  (Read 144199 times)

Offline Eb228

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Areivim USA - Coronavirus
« Reply #160 on: May 01, 2020, 03:30:11 PM »
Areivim has never paid $$$$$ to a Almana.!   Been researching this for a long time. I would love to be wrong, so if someone can tell me that they saw a copy of a check payable to a family, I would love hear/see it.
Yes! They put money in a fund for the future!!! And so on. I’ve heard that a lot.
Thanks

No collection or parlor meeting has either. The money is always put away under supervision of aska im and rabbanim, only to be accessed by the almana for big expenses such as bar mitvah wedding etc.
It is never for daily expenses, no way that amount of money could be raised.
The almana can usually, hopefully cover day to day expenses, but without any savings. And the money is to give her menuchas hanefesh big one time expenses are covered

Offline JACKBLUE

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: May 01, 2020, 03:32:20 PM »
Areivim has never paid $$$$$ to a Almana.!   Been researching this for a long time. I would love to be wrong, so if someone can tell me that they saw a copy of a check payable to a family, I would love hear/see it.
Yes! They put money in a fund for the future!!! And so on. I’ve heard that a lot.
Thanks
Wow! Shocking to see someone posting like this.....
I have seen the money being giving over to families.
Yes they do open a board of 3 people for each case and the money needs to be put into CD account (they don’t allow to invest it) the money is meant to be sitting until the child gets married, but the do allow to take out up to $50K of it if the child needs special assistance like therapy etc. and $50K needs to stay until the child gets married.

Tha Almona gets the check right away.

Offline Yosel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: May 01, 2020, 03:37:35 PM »

So we are trusting Rabanim/askonim with finances! Let’s trust the life insurance companies with our שאלות.

Is there transparency as to who is in charge of the family’s money??

We have had DDF members pass away, let’s hear from their widows. Life insurance or arievim???

[/quote]

Offline Iz

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: May 01, 2020, 03:38:46 PM »
We should definitely start a thread.
Please do! Just create a good title. ;)

Offline Eb228

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: May 01, 2020, 03:42:47 PM »
So we are trusting Rabanim/askonim with finances! Let’s trust the life insurance companies with our שאלות.

We have had DDF members pass away, let’s hear from their widows. Life insurance or arievim???

As far as know, there is great transperacy between the askanim and the almanos.

And LI also offers small payouts over time instead one lump sum with similliar logic. It is supposed to last a long time, not one year

Offline Eb228

• View Profile
« Reply #165 on: May 01, 2020, 03:44:49 PM »
Wow! Shocking to see someone posting like this.....
I have seen the money being giving over to families.
Yes they do open a board of 3 people for each case and the money needs to be put into CD account (they don’t allow to invest it) the money is meant to be sitting until the child gets married, but the do allow to take out up to $50K of it if the child needs special assistance like therapy etc. and $50K needs to stay until the child gets married.

Tha Almona gets the check right away.

I never said every case is like this.

But I've been involved in a few cases that this is for sure true. And definetely know askanim that th8s is the policy.

Other askanim may give the mmoney right away based on their daas torah.

But it's not exclusive to Areivim that the almana does not get the money as a check

Offline JACKBLUE

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: May 01, 2020, 04:08:17 PM »

Do we have a thread for Stupidest posts of DDF??

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #167 on: May 01, 2020, 04:12:08 PM »
I don't have life insurance I only have Areivim because its a charity and not a life insurance
Stolin?
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline Eb228

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: May 01, 2020, 04:46:26 PM »

Do we have a thread for Stupidest posts of DDF??

I don't beleive the word you were looking for was stupidest.

More accurate may have been wrongest.
Of course we trust our rabbanim on any subject. They may decide to ask advice from financial professinals, but we never value anyones opinion above our rabnanim.

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #169 on: May 01, 2020, 04:50:18 PM »
I don’t want to ch”v make light of this org.
Just try uhh to clarify.
Are they not making campaigns for the families that had areivim?

And is it verified that they give out money to families that have other life insurance? No mater how much?
They do need to make smaller campaigns since less is needed but it is not as extensive. Same goes for someone under insured.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Yosel

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: May 01, 2020, 04:50:27 PM »
As far as know, there is great transperacy between the askanim and the almanos.

And LI also offers small payouts over time instead one lump sum with similliar logic. It is supposed to last a long time, not one year
Transparency should be between all the contributors and the organization.

Life insurance companies do pay in one lump sum you have an option to choose that you don’t want to have that and get a monthly payment. Don’t know if anybody ever asks for monthly payments.

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: May 01, 2020, 04:52:20 PM »

It is tzedaka and gets dictated by the organization through which it was given. In this case, Areivim.

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: May 01, 2020, 04:53:19 PM »
Transparency should be between all the contributors and the organization.

Life insurance companies do pay in one lump sum you have an option to choose that you don’t want to have that and get a monthly payment. Don’t know if anybody ever asks for monthly payments.
They are transparent with the donors that it is put in a trust

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #173 on: May 01, 2020, 05:20:11 PM »

I know a beneficiary of a life insurance policy that had the option to leave the funds with the insurance company for a guaranteed interest rate of 3%. BH the death benefit was large enough so the family can pay all regular expenses from the interest earned risk free.
-- Dan

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #174 on: May 01, 2020, 05:23:02 PM »
A point I want to bring up is that we see now how their setup has been stressed by a disease which mostly was not dangerous for younger people. If they need to raise $8,000,000 that means covering "a mere (r"l)" 80 yesomim. This is putting the system under stress. What about additional payouts which they may be obligated for over the next 4 years? Considering how families have grown since enrolling and the enrollees have gotten older, it statistically makes sense that this will happen. In addition to this, how would it survive if there is C"V a second wave? What if that second wave is C"V worse? What if this virus C"V causes chronic future issues? Most of all, would it survive a situation where younger people are equally affected? Where women are equally affected?
I see you agree with my point ;)
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: May 01, 2020, 05:27:24 PM »
I see you agree with my point ;)
Possibly. Where did you make this point?

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #176 on: May 01, 2020, 05:32:10 PM »
The bottom line is that it seems like Areivim wasn't designed as actuarially sound program (I never thought it was). Another program that is giving some people a false sense of security is the group life insurance offered through the Shluchim office.

It was designed with (almost) a communist mindset. Everyone pays the same rate regardless of age, gender or health. As such, the program is bound to have adverse selection, with most people that are able to get better coverage elsewhere opting to do so, and only the sickest signing up (though I have heard of a few younger healthy Shluchim that signed up out of a feeling of mutual ערבות). Group policies usually have rates guaranteed for 3 years. Rates are likely to go up with every renewal, until eventually no renewal will be offered.
-- Dan

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #177 on: May 01, 2020, 05:34:35 PM »
Possibly. Where did you make this point?
I think this may backfire and cause members who are using it for life insurance to drop out. Either way, if they think it’s going to be incorporated back into the regular cycle they’re wrong, these are extra deaths and will be significantly more than the usual so they’ll be backed up forever.

It’s a difficult situation and I’m not sure what the correct method is.
So you think all 20,000 members signed up exclusively because they want to give a steady sum each month to orphans and widows? Sorry to say but if they all drop out you will need to donate significantly more to each fund. There’s a reason they offer it as a benefit. And why is the blood of a non-member any less red than a member? Should they also make you give a set amount to every non-member’s family?
Hence, people are relying on Areivim for life insurance. If those people drop out, the price will continue to go up for everyone, and they will end up in a death spiral. Which brings me back to my original point.

This is a difficult situation but I don’t think they should just raise the price for everyone. Perhaps a voluntary contribution option, and if there’s a difference the family gets less or they try to fundraise somehow? It’s tough.
Correct. So these people were NOT properly insured, and relied on Areivim. I strongly believe there are many who rely on Areivim for life insurance, and they will drop out if the price rises, causing it to fall apart. I’m speaking anecdotally from asking around. “Do you have life insurance?” “Not yet, I really should get. I do have Areivim though..”

My point has been that raising the price in a mandatory fashion will destroy the organization
Perhaps if life insurance doesn’t pay out, or he’s not insured enough, it’s a security blanket?

To all those saying it’s wrong to rely on this for life insurance, what if I need 1M of life insurance, can I get 600K of coverage and rely on this to fill the rest? That would lead to the same conclusion I was trying to make.
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline yesitsme

• View Profile
« Reply #178 on: May 01, 2020, 05:52:18 PM »
["-"]

Offline aygart

• View Profile