Topic Wiki

One line summary:
Areivim USA is a dignified way to give צדקה. It is not Life Insurance and doesn't guarantee any sort of financial protection to its members. it is registered as a religious organization and as such isn't required to incur the additional cost of preparing and filing form 990 with the IRS.

http://www.areivim.info/rform.php

Eb228
I spoke to Areivim at length as I sell life insurance and wanted to best advise ppl that had Areivim already and wanted to supplement it with LI.
I was told that it has never happened that Areivim declined to pay out based on someones assets or LI. It has happened that the family told them they don't need the money, but they never told the family no.
Simple reasoning is, they also think that 100K per yasom doesn't really cover it, the program just won't allow for a higher payout at $28/ monthly. So they encourage everyone to have LI as well to make sure kids are adequetly covered, and owning LI does not disqualify a payout [unless each kid will receive over a million dollars etc].

They are tax exempt. Click on the below IRS link and then download the first attachment. Then search "Areivim USA"

https://www.irs.gov/charities-non-profits/tax-exempt-organization-search-bulk-data-downloads

This (I have been to a few Areivim meeting with these Rabbonim)

Harav Elya Brudny, Rosh Yeshivas Mir Flatbush;
Harav Yitzchok Isaac Eichenstein, Galanter Rav;
Harav Doniel Geldzahler, Rosh Yeshivas Ohr Yisrael;
Harav Binyomin Zev Landau, Tosher Dayan of Boro Park;
Harav Henoch Shachar, Rav of Klal Ohr Tuvia in Lakewood

Areivim Terms and Conditions (emphasis added):
4) Areivim USA is not life insurance. Areivim USA has been established primarily as a charitable endeavor and its halachic status is like that of all tzedakah money collected from the public. In the event of a the passing of a member r”l, all contributions can be made with maaser money.

5) In the event of (G-d forbid) a large number of deaths among members (as a result of a war, an earthquake, etc.), Areivim USA reserves the right to consult with its Rabbinical Board on proper procedures.

6) Members have no rights to sue or submit legal claims against the decisions of Areivim USA or its Rabbinical Board, including for failure to initiate a collection. There are no oral agreements or other commitments between Areivim USA and its members, and no such oral agreements or commitments shall be given any legal effect.

« Last edited by ExGingi on May 30, 2021, 11:11:03 AM »

Poll

Do you have Areivim & Life Insurance? (NOTE: Areivim is not life insurance)

Yes
49 (70%)
Only Areivim
21 (30%)

Total Members Voted: 70

Author Topic: Areivim USA - Coronavirus  (Read 140606 times)

Offline Zevwolf

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
Re: Areivim USA - Coronavirus
« Reply #220 on: May 03, 2020, 12:58:15 AM »
But if you don't pay out for others, you don't get paid. Not membership, but membership.
It will be impossible to survive if you pay for not members.

Offline shulem92

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: May 03, 2020, 12:58:37 AM »
And to all those who wanted to know about the rabbonim involved, every time there is a collection it is under that family’s rav and they tell you who it is in the collection email

Offline Lurker

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #222 on: May 03, 2020, 01:03:33 AM »
Why wouldn’t it be considered tzedaka? Money is being collected to support families that suffered a loss.

You're buying insurance, and your premiums are being used to pay out another member's benefit. We're just calling that benefit tzedaka. How is this not LI?
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #223 on: May 03, 2020, 01:04:56 AM »
It will be impossible to survive if you pay for not members.

Again, I don't have a problem with the organization per se or it's rules. I just don't see why this is tzedaka and not LI, unless you have no possibility of being paid out.

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #224 on: May 03, 2020, 01:12:14 AM »
they don’t bill extra the next time. People just don’t see it on a practical level. Example: someone dies in January and leaves over 4 yesomim. They should collect $28 in January and $7 in February based on the old model. Now they would just collect $28 in January. When I said leftover i meant within the $7.... one of their main goals was that it should be increments of $7 because otherwise people feel like they’re getting charged random amounts every month. With their $7 collections you feel like u know exactly what it’s for every time. (They do charge less frequently now that there are more members. Take a look at this last collection notice “
We are hereby notifying you that due to the tragic passing of an Areivim Member from Lakewood, NJ who left behind a widow and 10 orphans we will be initaiting a collection on behalf of the family in the months of May and June. ” collecting 11x7=77 but somehow only collecting in may and June)
77*20000=1540000
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #225 on: May 03, 2020, 01:16:11 AM »
You're buying insurance, and your premiums are being used to pay out another member's benefit. We're just calling that benefit tzedaka. How is this not LI?
Because it has no guarantees whatsoever.

Is there a contract? (If there was one, would it jeopardize their 501(c)3 status? It would probably subject them to state regulation).
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 01:21:21 AM by ExGingi »
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline Yosel

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: May 03, 2020, 01:19:29 AM »
I am reading about “old model” and new “new model” , when did it change? And who was notified?

Eagerly waiting for the response @JACKBLUE as he knows the boss personally

Offline yesitsme

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: May 03, 2020, 01:21:01 AM »
I am reading about “old model” and new “new model” , when did it change? And who was notified?

and after you hear back will you be satisfied? or you're just looking to bash them?

Offline shulem92

• View Profile
« Reply #228 on: May 03, 2020, 01:21:19 AM »
77*20000=1540000
exactly my point. They aren’t collecting $77 from every member. (According to the old model they would have) now they only mentioned may and June which would be $56, which equals just over $1.1m

Offline Zevwolf

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: May 03, 2020, 01:22:56 AM »

26) The goal is to establish funds of up to $100,000 per orphan. If more people than the number required to reach that goal join, the amount of assistance collected from each member decreases.
http://www.areivim.info/terms.php

Offline shulem92

• View Profile
« Reply #230 on: May 03, 2020, 01:24:11 AM »

only difference being how many members. Old model was supposed to be capped at 14k members x $7 per yasom = 100k. New model- unlimited members, and essentially collecting less per yasom every time because there are more members. Yasom still gets the same 100k. That is the only difference

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #231 on: May 03, 2020, 01:31:28 AM »
only difference being how many members. Old model was supposed to be capped at 14k members x $7 per yasom = 100k. New model- unlimited members, and essentially collecting less per yasom every time because there are more members. Yasom still gets the same 100k. That is the only difference

Still capped at $28/mo? More members also means more payouts, unfortunately.

Online aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #232 on: May 03, 2020, 01:32:18 AM »

But grows the risk pool
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #233 on: May 03, 2020, 01:35:07 AM »
But grows the risk pool

Possibly, depending on their balance in membership. (Members who risk getting paid out vs members solely giving tzedaka.)

Offline shulem92

• View Profile
« Reply #234 on: May 03, 2020, 01:36:40 AM »

yes but they reach the payout quicker. Look at the example I posted up thread. Whereas the old model would have taken 3 months to raise the funds for 11 people with the $28 cap, now it only takes 2 months

Offline Yosel

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: May 03, 2020, 01:50:01 AM »
and after you hear back will you be satisfied? or you're just looking to bash them?
No חס ושלום.
I am just for someone with “first” hand experience of receiving $$$$ from them. I’ve been trying to find am almana that was able to confirm to me personally, with no success.

Online mgarfin

• View Profile
« Reply #236 on: May 03, 2020, 02:39:45 AM »
No חס ושלום.
I am just for someone with “first” hand experience of receiving $$$$ from them. I’ve been trying to find am almana that was able to confirm to me personally, with no success.
I'm not sure how you looked but personally know 3 families that got.

It's also not that hard to find an almonh that got. On each collection there's a rav listed as that ruv.

WHICH BRINGS ME TO THE CONCLUSION YOU ARE .....

Offline David61

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: May 03, 2020, 04:11:27 AM »
exactly my point. They aren’t collecting $77 from every member. (According to the old model they would have) now they only mentioned may and June which would be $56, which equals just over $1.1m

So are there no credit card fees to pay? In these calculations?

Someone mentioned they get a notification call to notify them of future charges.   If true  Who makes (thousands?) of calls without pay?  (even if it’s for those without access to email Alerts )?

Online mgarfin

• View Profile
« Reply #238 on: May 03, 2020, 04:16:40 AM »
So are there no credit card fees to pay? In these calculations?

Someone mentioned they get a notification call to notify them of future charges.   If true  Who makes (thousands?) of calls without pay?  (even if it’s for those without access to email Alerts )?
A robo call system
They operate out of the offices of a different prominent charity there for reducing operation cost to minimum

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: May 03, 2020, 06:28:57 AM »
But grows the risk pool

I bet they have adverse selection, where their average member is more of a risk/burden than your average American of the same age/gender.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael