Topic Wiki

One line summary:
Areivim USA is a dignified way to give צדקה. It is not Life Insurance and doesn't guarantee any sort of financial protection to its members. it is registered as a religious organization and as such isn't required to incur the additional cost of preparing and filing form 990 with the IRS.

http://www.areivim.info/rform.php

Eb228
I spoke to Areivim at length as I sell life insurance and wanted to best advise ppl that had Areivim already and wanted to supplement it with LI.
I was told that it has never happened that Areivim declined to pay out based on someones assets or LI. It has happened that the family told them they don't need the money, but they never told the family no.
Simple reasoning is, they also think that 100K per yasom doesn't really cover it, the program just won't allow for a higher payout at $28/ monthly. So they encourage everyone to have LI as well to make sure kids are adequetly covered, and owning LI does not disqualify a payout [unless each kid will receive over a million dollars etc].

They are tax exempt. Click on the below IRS link and then download the first attachment. Then search "Areivim USA"

https://www.irs.gov/charities-non-profits/tax-exempt-organization-search-bulk-data-downloads

This (I have been to a few Areivim meeting with these Rabbonim)

Harav Elya Brudny, Rosh Yeshivas Mir Flatbush;
Harav Yitzchok Isaac Eichenstein, Galanter Rav;
Harav Doniel Geldzahler, Rosh Yeshivas Ohr Yisrael;
Harav Binyomin Zev Landau, Tosher Dayan of Boro Park;
Harav Henoch Shachar, Rav of Klal Ohr Tuvia in Lakewood

Areivim Terms and Conditions (emphasis added):
4) Areivim USA is not life insurance. Areivim USA has been established primarily as a charitable endeavor and its halachic status is like that of all tzedakah money collected from the public. In the event of a the passing of a member r”l, all contributions can be made with maaser money.

5) In the event of (G-d forbid) a large number of deaths among members (as a result of a war, an earthquake, etc.), Areivim USA reserves the right to consult with its Rabbinical Board on proper procedures.

6) Members have no rights to sue or submit legal claims against the decisions of Areivim USA or its Rabbinical Board, including for failure to initiate a collection. There are no oral agreements or other commitments between Areivim USA and its members, and no such oral agreements or commitments shall be given any legal effect.

« Last edited by ExGingi on May 30, 2021, 11:11:03 AM »

Poll

Do you have Areivim & Life Insurance? (NOTE: Areivim is not life insurance)

Yes
49 (70%)
Only Areivim
21 (30%)

Total Members Voted: 70

Author Topic: Areivim USA - Coronavirus  (Read 140553 times)

Offline Lurker

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
Re: Areivim USA - Coronavirus
« Reply #280 on: May 03, 2020, 09:30:05 AM »
I don't know the numbers, but I can't imagine you'll get more for your money by buying LI for everyone. Besides for the risk of payout, LI has many more related expenses (overhead, paying agents, etc.)and profit which areivim and campaigns don't have.

I don't know the numbers, either. I'm all for an organization like Areivim to continue to implement the tzedaka aspects of this deal. Agent commissions can be donated or reduced. Maybe lower rates can be negotiated if Areivim takes responsibility for certain administrative tasks, such as billing. They can also try to negotiate small discounts for sending x million dollars in policies.

I know little about the industry, so some of this may be absurd to those in the know. I'm just looking at the current set up, and it doesn't look like it can survive.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline mgarfin

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: May 03, 2020, 09:30:55 AM »
You have to sign that both the husband and the wife are in complete health. People may unfortunately lie, but I'm sure it dissuades the majority of people with conditions from signing up falsely.

He meant conditions not illness with prominent death

Members are only scrutinized for their health when they request funds upon death or if a member raises a health condition before signing up and wants to get clarity if it is considered a pre-existing condition

Offline S209

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #282 on: May 03, 2020, 09:34:28 AM »
You have to sign that both the husband and the wife are in complete health. People may unfortunately lie, but I'm sure it dissuades the majority of people with conditions from signing up falsely.
Even if they lie, wouldn’t it disqualify them from receiving benefits? That would actually improve the selection of people paying vs. receiving.
Over the past 3 years, how much did they actually collect from each member? Assuming the rate of collections continues to be the same as it was before coronavirus with coronavirus being the outlier, anything less than $28/month will be able to be used to catch up. For example if instead of collecting $336/year  they collected $280 that means they have an average of $56/year leeway, at that rate in 4 years they will be fully caught up.
Upthread people mentioned a second wave as a possibility. Even if there are no more spikes in deaths in the next 4 years, I signed up in May 2019 and the only month since in which I have not experience a collection for since is August 2019. That would leave them with $28 a year extra, thus taking nearly 15 years to collect the difference.

Regardless, I question your math. $56 a year to get to $400 would be more than 7 years.
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline YitzyS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: May 03, 2020, 09:35:40 AM »
Somehow I’m skeptical. Without any transparency we’ll never know.
There is a level of transparency. Recently, every collection had the name of a rav who is overseeing it. If a DDFer has a few minutes and wants to do a good deed, please call one of these rabbanim and hear firsthand about the collection, than report back here. I'll post the names of the last few collections.

April 28, 2020: We are hereby notifying you that due to the tragic passing of an Areivim Member from Lakewood, NJ who left behind a widow and 10 orphans we will be initaiting a collection on behalf of the family in the months of May and June.  This collection will be under the auspices of Rabbi Yechiel Rabinowitz, Rav D'Khal Tiferes Shimon.

Feb. 26, 2020: It is with great pain that we notify you of the recent untimely Petirah of two Areivim USA members, one from the Tosher Kehilla leaving behind 2 orphans R''l, and one from the Satmar Kehilla leaving behind a Widower and 7 orphans R''l.Therefore Areivim USA members are requested to donate in the months of March and April. Harav Yoel Hersh Moskowitz Shlita, Dayan  from Kiryas Tosh will be overseeing the collection on behalf of the Tosher family. Harav Yoel Teitelbaum Shlita Rav D'Bais Medrash Bais Boruch will be overseeing the collection on behalf of the Satmar family.

Nov. 28, 2019: It is with great pain that we notify you of the recent untimely Petirah of two Areivim USA members, one from Manchester leaving behind 7 orphans R''l, and one from the Lubavitcher Kehilla leaving behind 7 orphans R''l.Therefore Areivim USA members are requested to donate in the months of December, January and February. Harav Avrohom Yosef Halevi Heller Shlita, Rosh Kollel Avreichim and Moreh Tzedek in Crown Heights will be overseeing the collection on behalf of the Lubavitcher family. Harav Berel Cohen Shlita Rav D’Khal Ohr Yerushalayim of Manchester will be overseeing the collection on behalf of the Manchester family.

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #284 on: May 03, 2020, 09:37:00 AM »
I got this email from them last Rosh Hashana. Didn't crunch the numbers, but it may be helpful for those trying to do so.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #285 on: May 03, 2020, 09:38:19 AM »
There is a level of transparency. Recently, every collection had the name of a rav who is overseeing it. If a DDFer has a few minutes and wants to do a good deed, please call one of these rabbanim and hear firsthand about the collection, than report back here. I'll post the names of the last few collections.

April 28, 2020: We are hereby notifying you that due to the tragic passing of an Areivim Member from Lakewood, NJ who left behind a widow and 10 orphans we will be initaiting a collection on behalf of the family in the months of May and June.  This collection will be under the auspices of Rabbi Yechiel Rabinowitz, Rav D'Khal Tiferes Shimon.

Feb. 26, 2020: It is with great pain that we notify you of the recent untimely Petirah of two Areivim USA members, one from the Tosher Kehilla leaving behind 2 orphans R''l, and one from the Satmar Kehilla leaving behind a Widower and 7 orphans R''l.Therefore Areivim USA members are requested to donate in the months of March and April. Harav Yoel Hersh Moskowitz Shlita, Dayan  from Kiryas Tosh will be overseeing the collection on behalf of the Tosher family. Harav Yoel Teitelbaum Shlita Rav D'Bais Medrash Bais Boruch will be overseeing the collection on behalf of the Satmar family.

Nov. 28, 2019: It is with great pain that we notify you of the recent untimely Petirah of two Areivim USA members, one from Manchester leaving behind 7 orphans R''l, and one from the Lubavitcher Kehilla leaving behind 7 orphans R''l.Therefore Areivim USA members are requested to donate in the months of December, January and February. Harav Avrohom Yosef Halevi Heller Shlita, Rosh Kollel Avreichim and Moreh Tzedek in Crown Heights will be overseeing the collection on behalf of the Lubavitcher family. Harav Berel Cohen Shlita Rav D’Khal Ohr Yerushalayim of Manchester will be overseeing the collection on behalf of the Manchester family.
Right, I don’t buy that they’re intentionally deceptive, I know of choshuve Yidden who support them. I just think the business model is unsustainable if they’ll pay out in full for these victims, and haven’t seen a reason yet to dissuade me.

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #286 on: May 03, 2020, 09:39:41 AM »
Right, I don’t buy that they’re intentionally deceptive, I know of choshuve Yidden who support them. I just think the business model is unsustainable if they’ll pay out in full for these victims, and haven’t seen a reason yet to dissuade me.
One phone call to all any of these rabbonim and we can get the answers to all the questions on this thread...

Offline Drago

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: May 03, 2020, 09:40:32 AM »

He may be referring to transparency of their IRS statements that detail contributions, payouts, and expenses

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #288 on: May 03, 2020, 09:41:45 AM »
He may be referring to transparency of their IRS statements that detail contributions, payouts, and expenses
Good point.

Offline Drago

• View Profile
« Reply #289 on: May 03, 2020, 09:41:51 AM »
One phone call to all any of these rabbonim and we can get the answers to all the questions on this thread...
I'd be impressed if these Rabbonim have been on top of their books, let alone projections of expected deaths and collections. Shows a high level of dedication.

Offline JACKBLUE

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: May 03, 2020, 09:43:37 AM »
of course if somone has cancer he can’t sign up, but let’s say a diabetic are some other health issues you could sign up. I know this because my friend is diabetic and he called them to ask if he can sign up and the answer was YES.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #291 on: May 03, 2020, 09:44:10 AM »
They will answer how the business model is sustainable?

Offline JMHO

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: May 03, 2020, 09:44:24 AM »
There is a level of transparency. Recently, every collection had the name of a rav who is overseeing it.
Who is overseeing the whole organization/business??

There seems to be zero transparency with millions of dollars being collected.

It's not like someone dies and they raise x and it goes to that Rav's fund.

Now they want to collect money in 2027 to pay for 2020's campaign  :o

Offline JACKBLUE

• View Profile
« Reply #293 on: May 03, 2020, 09:48:21 AM »
Who is overseeing the whole organization/business??
his name is Rabbi Yosef Menachem Fishman, he runs Ezras Yisroel as well.
P.S. anyone cane PM me for his number and you can call him with all your questions!

Offline JMHO

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: May 03, 2020, 09:58:45 AM »
his name is Rabbi Yosef Menachem Fishman, he runs Ezras Yisroel as well.
P.S. anyone cane PM me for his number and you can call him with all your questions!
A one man band without any legal, Rabbinic or communal transparency requirements, sounds like a very bad idea...

Offline JACKBLUE

• View Profile
« Reply #295 on: May 03, 2020, 09:59:29 AM »
Areivim has now just a little more then 20K members.
Your question is a good question, I’m going to ask the founder of Areivim.
I know him personally.
I just asked him, he said that the collect now only $5 per orphan, they just charge $28 a month so people shouldn’t be confused with the numbers, and they can collect the money faster.

Offline JACKBLUE

• View Profile
« Reply #296 on: May 03, 2020, 10:00:43 AM »
A one man band without any legal, Rabbinic or communal transparency requirements, sounds like a very bad idea...
There’s a board of a few people it’s not a 1 man band, and they also have a board of Rabanim. I’m not sure who’s from the Rabonim but I believe R Binumin Landau is one of them.

Offline mgarfin

• View Profile
« Reply #297 on: May 03, 2020, 10:04:27 AM »
They will answer how the business model is sustainable?

I have asked  R Binumin Landau who is a very smart and thorough ruv.

He thought that it is extremely sustainable if the purpose is charity

Offline Drago

• View Profile
« Reply #298 on: May 03, 2020, 10:05:11 AM »
There’s a board of a few people it’s not a 1 man band, and they also have a board of Rabanim. I’m not sure who’s from the Rabonim but I believe R Binumin Landau is one of them.
Do you know if they need to publish a 990 or s/t similar? Couldn't find anything on their site.

Offline mgarfin

• View Profile
« Reply #299 on: May 03, 2020, 10:05:47 AM »
Do you know if they need to publish a 990 or s/t similar? Couldn't find anything on their site.

They don't if you want details private message me