Topic Wiki

One line summary:
Areivim USA is a dignified way to give צדקה. It is not Life Insurance and doesn't guarantee any sort of financial protection to its members. it is registered as a religious organization and as such isn't required to incur the additional cost of preparing and filing form 990 with the IRS.

http://www.areivim.info/rform.php

Eb228
I spoke to Areivim at length as I sell life insurance and wanted to best advise ppl that had Areivim already and wanted to supplement it with LI.
I was told that it has never happened that Areivim declined to pay out based on someones assets or LI. It has happened that the family told them they don't need the money, but they never told the family no.
Simple reasoning is, they also think that 100K per yasom doesn't really cover it, the program just won't allow for a higher payout at $28/ monthly. So they encourage everyone to have LI as well to make sure kids are adequetly covered, and owning LI does not disqualify a payout [unless each kid will receive over a million dollars etc].

They are tax exempt. Click on the below IRS link and then download the first attachment. Then search "Areivim USA"

https://www.irs.gov/charities-non-profits/tax-exempt-organization-search-bulk-data-downloads

This (I have been to a few Areivim meeting with these Rabbonim)

Harav Elya Brudny, Rosh Yeshivas Mir Flatbush;
Harav Yitzchok Isaac Eichenstein, Galanter Rav;
Harav Doniel Geldzahler, Rosh Yeshivas Ohr Yisrael;
Harav Binyomin Zev Landau, Tosher Dayan of Boro Park;
Harav Henoch Shachar, Rav of Klal Ohr Tuvia in Lakewood

Areivim Terms and Conditions (emphasis added):
4) Areivim USA is not life insurance. Areivim USA has been established primarily as a charitable endeavor and its halachic status is like that of all tzedakah money collected from the public. In the event of a the passing of a member r”l, all contributions can be made with maaser money.

5) In the event of (G-d forbid) a large number of deaths among members (as a result of a war, an earthquake, etc.), Areivim USA reserves the right to consult with its Rabbinical Board on proper procedures.

6) Members have no rights to sue or submit legal claims against the decisions of Areivim USA or its Rabbinical Board, including for failure to initiate a collection. There are no oral agreements or other commitments between Areivim USA and its members, and no such oral agreements or commitments shall be given any legal effect.

« Last edited by ExGingi on May 30, 2021, 11:11:03 AM »

Poll

Do you have Areivim & Life Insurance? (NOTE: Areivim is not life insurance)

Yes
49 (70%)
Only Areivim
21 (30%)

Total Members Voted: 70

Author Topic: Areivim USA - Coronavirus  (Read 143507 times)

Offline Lurker

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
Re: Areivim USA - Coronavirus
« Reply #420 on: May 05, 2020, 02:53:07 PM »
Why do you say that isn’t promised anywhere? As I have stated and the poll shows, many sign up specifically because of the guarantee (you can find it on their site) that they will initiate a collection for you if that’s needed Chas Vesholom

Initiating a collection isn't a guarantee of funds. It's "I'll try."
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #421 on: May 05, 2020, 02:53:47 PM »
Why do you say that isn’t promised anywhere? As I have stated and the poll shows, many sign up specifically because of the guarantee (you can find it on their site) that they will initiate a collection for you if that’s needed Chas Vesholom

That is a significant issue because their long term viability is questionable.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline S209

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #422 on: May 05, 2020, 02:55:00 PM »
Initiating a collection isn't a guarantee of funds. It's "I'll try."
They should be more clear
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #423 on: May 05, 2020, 02:55:21 PM »

As noted above, of course you need more people to constantly join, because people become ineligible as they leave that phase of life. An equal (greater, actually) amount of people become eligible as people become ineligible. However, the  pool does not need to grow, just maintain its size, which isn’t an unreasonable size at the max needed for viability (15-20K.)

He was not referring to replacement rate but growth rate as is very clear in his math. What is your calculation showing that this is the max needed for viability?

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #424 on: May 05, 2020, 02:59:38 PM »
He was not referring to replacement rate but growth rate as is very clear in his math. What is your calculation showing that this is the max needed for viability?
Based on their calculations. If it grows larger, the economics balance out- make a separate fund or collect less per member per death. Liability shouldn’t be growing disproportionately just because the group got larger, and they supposedly don’t need growth to maintain the status quo. That was his accusation, and it’s false.
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #425 on: May 05, 2020, 03:02:03 PM »
Based on their calculations. If it grows larger, the economics balance out- make a separate fund or collect less per member per death. Liability shouldn’t be growing disproportionately just because the group got larger, and they supposedly don’t need growth to maintain the status quo. That was his accusation, and it’s false.
On what basis is anyone saying that they don't need growth to maintain?

Offline skyguy918

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: May 05, 2020, 04:36:04 PM »
They note that payment is only to those who qualify for financial assistance and leave single children behind. It’s also only per single child, so as you get older (and mortality rises) your potential assistance is lowered and presumably the lifetime amount you have contributed is greater
 As noted above, of course you need more people to constantly join, because people become ineligible as they leave that phase of life. An equal (greater, actually) amount of people become eligible as people become ineligible. However, the  pool does not need to grow, just maintain its size, which isn’t an unreasonable size at the max needed for viability (15-20K.)
 If your credit card doesn’t work, you’re no longer “insured”. Just like with any term policy. Presumably there are volunteers working, but I don’t think the cost of this is too great relative to the amount regularly collected. Perhaps one full time worker?
Adverse selection pokes holes in most of this. If the whole of their membership actually viewed it as tzedakah, that would not likely be a concern. But since the reality is there is likely a significant portion of their membership that does view it as a kind of insurance, adverse selection becomes a problem.

Offline shulem92

• View Profile
« Reply #427 on: May 05, 2020, 04:43:23 PM »

Life insurance is a guaranteed (and regulated) contract. As long as it's in force, you received value.

With Areivim, the value you receive is the value of giving tzedaka. Nothing more, nothing less. If it goes belly up, you still gave tzedaka. As far as your family getting a monetary benefit if a member dies,  that isn't promised anywhere!
Once again you missed my point. Leaving aside this pandemic, as long as the organization is running, you will get a collection if u drop dead. Obviously its not guaranteed for 10 years. But as long as the organization is running you will get a collection. Comparison– term LI, as long as youre insured, you will get a payout. The proper comparison would be organization shuts down = your term policy expires. Im not saying this is LI, just pointing out that the organization was a success for the years it has been running, and as @YitzyS said, even if it shuts down today it was worth it while it was running

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #428 on: May 05, 2020, 05:06:32 PM »
Once again you missed my point. Leaving aside this pandemic, as long as the organization is running, you will get a collection if u drop dead. Obviously its not guaranteed for 10 years. But as long as the organization is running you will get a collection. Comparison– term LI, as long as youre insured, you will get a payout. The proper comparison would be organization shuts down = your term policy expires. Im not saying this is LI, just pointing out that the organization was a success for the years it has been running, and as @YitzyS said, even if it shuts down today it was worth it while it was running

It is YOU who are missing MY point.

Areivim offers no promises or guarantees (please correct me if I'm wrong about this, by showing me the contract or wording on their website that indicates the contrary). They are a charity with very good intentions. They cannot promise or guarantee that those intentions will actually be carried out.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline David61

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: May 05, 2020, 05:08:21 PM »

. . . .Except to those who were insurable 10, 5, or 2, years ago when they signed up and have since developed a medical condition that makes their rates unaffordable.

Perhaps less money is needed if https://simchainitiative.org/  gains traction 

See https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=115607.0 for more on that topic

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: May 05, 2020, 05:14:13 PM »
I remember seeing a membership drive for something like this, I’m not 100% sure but it sounded really similar. It was not framed as Tzedakah and I could see how people who lack critical thinking skills would see it as an alternative to insurance.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #431 on: May 05, 2020, 05:17:38 PM »
I remember seeing a membership drive for something like this, I’m not 100% sure but it sounded really similar. It was not framed as Tzedakah and I could see how people who lack critical thinking skills would see it as an alternative to insurance.

But the checked a box saying they understand this is not a replacement for LI?

Offline shulem92

• View Profile
« Reply #432 on: May 05, 2020, 05:55:42 PM »
It is YOU who are missing MY point.

Areivim offers no promises or guarantees (please correct me if I'm wrong about this, by showing me the contract or wording on their website that indicates the contrary). They are a charity with very good intentions. They cannot promise or guarantee that those intentions will actually be carried out.
once again, i am NOT saying this is similar to LI. and understandably there are no guarantees, but as long as the company is running and payouts are happening smoothly, you WILL get a payout if you drop dead. obviously if the program slowly starts sinking due to being overwhelmed, or because of the pandemic, then the program will go under and zehu. The point of my entire post was just to explain how the fact that they were around for 10 years already, and paid every claim so far, was in itself a good thing. once again I am not campaigning for the long term durability of this program, just explaining how up until it was a good program. every person who paid every month until now did so knowing that if they would have dropped dead THAT month, then they would have gotten paid. my only comparison to term LI was basically trying to say that each month is its own TERM LI... you pay your $28 premium and u get a payout if u drop dead in that month! anyone who was paying their "premiums" for the future in case they drop dead in a year is foolish. so back to your original question: were they misled? no. because anyone thinking that theyre paying now for their possible FUTURE claim isnt being realistic, because there is no guarantee

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #433 on: May 05, 2020, 06:22:04 PM »
once again, i am NOT saying this is similar to LI. and understandably there are no guarantees, but as long as the company is running and payouts are happening smoothly, you WILL get a payout if you drop dead. obviously if the program slowly starts sinking due to being overwhelmed, or because of the pandemic, then the program will go under and zehu. The point of my entire post was just to explain how the fact that they were around for 10 years already, and paid every claim so far, was in itself a good thing. once again I am not campaigning for the long term durability of this program, just explaining how up until it was a good program. every person who paid every month until now did so knowing that if they would have dropped dead THAT month, then they would have gotten paid. my only comparison to term LI was basically trying to say that each month is its own TERM LI... you pay your $28 premium and u get a payout if u drop dead in that month! anyone who was paying their "premiums" for the future in case they drop dead in a year is foolish. so back to your original question: were they misled? no. because anyone thinking that theyre paying now for their possible FUTURE claim isnt being realistic, because there is no guarantee
Fully agree. My only beef is that my impression always was that as long as they tell you that it isn't life insurance they are very willing any happy to have people using it as exactly that.

Offline dealfinder11

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: May 05, 2020, 06:22:19 PM »

If people bought life insurance with only the immediate future in mind, 30 year plans would be non existent. Instead, anecdotally I find they are the most common policy.

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #435 on: May 05, 2020, 07:06:25 PM »
my only comparison to term LI was basically trying to say that each month is its own TERM LI... you pay your $28 premium and u get a payout if u drop dead in that month!
This is not how the type of term that most people buy works. What you're describing is closest to yearly renewable term, as opposed to level term.

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #436 on: May 05, 2020, 09:33:50 PM »
Wiki updated.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline JACKBLUE

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: May 05, 2020, 10:16:11 PM »
Just heard from Arievim that one of the people that died from Covid19, left behind a big family, when he signed up originally he signed that he only wants to give and not get a payout if he dies because he had a nice amount of LI, in the last year he was struggling and left his LI lapse.
They are still deciding how to go about it.....
#JustSaying

Offline sillypainter

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: May 05, 2020, 10:20:55 PM »
Just heard from Arievim that one of the people that died from Covid19, left behind a big family, when he signed up originally he signed that he only wants to give and not get a payout if he dies because he had a nice amount of LI, in the last year he was struggling and left his LI lapse.
#JustSaying

What is there to decide. He is a member and deserves the payout.

Offline Lurker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #439 on: May 05, 2020, 10:23:17 PM »
#JustSaying

This bothers me so much. If they have to think about this for more than half a second, they have to stop claiming they are a tzedaka.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.