Topic Wiki

One line summary:
Areivim USA is a dignified way to give צדקה. It is not Life Insurance and doesn't guarantee any sort of financial protection to its members. it is registered as a religious organization and as such isn't required to incur the additional cost of preparing and filing form 990 with the IRS.

http://www.areivim.info/rform.php

Eb228
I spoke to Areivim at length as I sell life insurance and wanted to best advise ppl that had Areivim already and wanted to supplement it with LI.
I was told that it has never happened that Areivim declined to pay out based on someones assets or LI. It has happened that the family told them they don't need the money, but they never told the family no.
Simple reasoning is, they also think that 100K per yasom doesn't really cover it, the program just won't allow for a higher payout at $28/ monthly. So they encourage everyone to have LI as well to make sure kids are adequetly covered, and owning LI does not disqualify a payout [unless each kid will receive over a million dollars etc].

They are tax exempt. Click on the below IRS link and then download the first attachment. Then search "Areivim USA"

https://www.irs.gov/charities-non-profits/tax-exempt-organization-search-bulk-data-downloads

This (I have been to a few Areivim meeting with these Rabbonim)

Harav Elya Brudny, Rosh Yeshivas Mir Flatbush;
Harav Yitzchok Isaac Eichenstein, Galanter Rav;
Harav Doniel Geldzahler, Rosh Yeshivas Ohr Yisrael;
Harav Binyomin Zev Landau, Tosher Dayan of Boro Park;
Harav Henoch Shachar, Rav of Klal Ohr Tuvia in Lakewood

Areivim Terms and Conditions (emphasis added):
4) Areivim USA is not life insurance. Areivim USA has been established primarily as a charitable endeavor and its halachic status is like that of all tzedakah money collected from the public. In the event of a the passing of a member r”l, all contributions can be made with maaser money.

5) In the event of (G-d forbid) a large number of deaths among members (as a result of a war, an earthquake, etc.), Areivim USA reserves the right to consult with its Rabbinical Board on proper procedures.

6) Members have no rights to sue or submit legal claims against the decisions of Areivim USA or its Rabbinical Board, including for failure to initiate a collection. There are no oral agreements or other commitments between Areivim USA and its members, and no such oral agreements or commitments shall be given any legal effect.

« Last edited by ExGingi on May 30, 2021, 11:11:03 AM »

Poll

Do you have Areivim & Life Insurance? (NOTE: Areivim is not life insurance)

Yes
49 (70%)
Only Areivim
21 (30%)

Total Members Voted: 70

Author Topic: Areivim USA - Coronavirus  (Read 146660 times)

Offline mgarfin

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: Areivim USA - Coronavirus
« Reply #580 on: May 24, 2021, 08:16:18 PM »
I’m not a basher, just a skeptic. Rough back of the napkin math discussed upthread tells me it doesn’t seem to add up.

There's Asher, keeps questioning if the org is sustainable.
Legit
(Although sometimes he is harsh)

good point

But there is Yodel, he keeps on pushing that this is all a fraud and someone is pocketing all the money.
He has no basses and even after first hand reports

Offline JACKBLUE

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: May 24, 2021, 08:42:36 PM »
I’m not a basher, just a skeptic. Rough back of the napkin math discussed upthread tells me it doesn’t seem to add up.
So do some real research not by asking random DDF’ers and come back to post what you heard.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: May 25, 2021, 02:16:10 PM »
So do some real research not by asking random DDF’ers and come back to post what you heard.

I didn’t find anything that made me less skeptical. The burden of proof should be on the organization to be transparent/thorough, not for me to find someone’s uncle’s cousin’s dog who claims to know something and is likely less reliable than a random DDFer.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline michael

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: May 25, 2021, 02:24:52 PM »
I can confirm on the legal side that Areivim works very hard to be fully compliant. Can’t give specifics here, though you can PM for details and I can try to respond. Also cannot speak to the numbers as I’m not very involved on that side.

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #584 on: May 25, 2021, 02:51:57 PM »
I didn’t find anything that made me less skeptical. The burden of proof should be on the organization to be transparent/thorough, not for me to find someone’s uncle’s cousin’s dog who claims to know something and is likely less reliable than a random DDFer.

I haven't been following the current conversation much, but if you put the numbers aside, and look at it purely as a good way to give צדקה to אלמנות and יתומים, do you still have issues of transparency, or is whatever information provided sufficient for you to decide that this is a legitimate צדקה?
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #585 on: May 25, 2021, 03:18:50 PM »
I haven't been following the current conversation much, but if you put the numbers aside, and look at it purely as a good way to give צדקה to אלמנות and יתומים, do you still have issues of transparency, or is whatever information provided sufficient for you to decide that this is a legitimate צדקה?

But they don’t publish what percentage of their members don’t expect/need payouts. If I signed up I would want to know they could fulfill their obligations to my family if ch”v it came to it. If the numbers don’t add up it’s a ponzi scheme.

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #586 on: May 25, 2021, 03:40:58 PM »
But they don’t publish what percentage of their members don’t expect/need payouts. If I signed up I would want to know they could fulfill their obligations to my family if ch”v it came to it. If the numbers don’t add up it’s a ponzi scheme.
Which tzedaka is not a ponzi scheme with this reasoning?
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #587 on: May 25, 2021, 03:42:17 PM »
And with this they "feel" like it is deserved and not like they are receiving tzedaka which makes it a higher form of tzedaka.

Offline Yosel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: May 25, 2021, 03:58:01 PM »
absolutely, but a lot of innocent families rely on this program (panzi scheme). and is not fair

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #589 on: May 25, 2021, 04:04:00 PM »
absolutely, but a lot of innocent families rely on this program (panzi scheme). and is not fair

אין לנו על מי להשען אלא על אבינו שבשמים.
-- Dan

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: May 25, 2021, 04:13:50 PM »

My understanding is that they claim to take in enough to cover claims. Please CMIIW.

I don’t know of any other charity that only supports their own donors, so asking me about other charities isn’t an apples-to-apples comparison.

Offline yesitsme

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: May 27, 2021, 12:56:09 AM »
Could you please summarize your concerns? I'll do my best to get you the answers bl'n
["-"]

Offline tov hashem

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: May 27, 2021, 01:34:26 AM »
I personally know of a family of 8 who areivim denied funds for them because they claimed that when he signed up he had some condition on his records (you have to sign that your healthy) of which statistics show that it could lead to cancer which he eventually got and fully recovered and then died from something else. I respect the decision made by areivims rabbi (big professional in medical). but the issue is that this yingerman had peace of mind knowing that he has some sort of Insurance, VS real LI where if they accept you by blood test means they cant screw you later on. (Check out the online application.)

Offline yuneeq

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: May 27, 2021, 02:12:02 AM »
I personally know of a family of 8 who areivim denied funds for them because they claimed that when he signed up he had some condition on his records (you have to sign that your healthy) of which statistics show that it could lead to cancer which he eventually got and fully recovered and then died from something else. I respect the decision made by areivims rabbi (big professional in medical). but the issue is that this yingerman had peace of mind thinking that he has some sort of Insurance, VS real LI where if they accept you by blood test means they cant screw you later on. (Check out the online application.)

FTFY
The issue is that someone with 8 children and a significant medical issue could have peace of mind after signing up for a charity program without reading the basic terms. And real insurance companies can in fact come after you within a certain time span if you lied on your application.

Take a look at the Areivim sign up page. Doesn’t get clearer than this:

-Husband feels well, does not have any significant medical issues and has no history or suspicion of significant medical issues.

-Wife feels well, does not have any significant medical issues and has no history or suspicion of significant medical issues.

http://www.areivim.info/rform.php
« Last Edit: May 27, 2021, 02:15:29 AM by yuneeq »
Visibly Jewish

Offline yuneeq

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: May 27, 2021, 02:21:04 AM »
My understanding is that they claim to take in enough to cover claims. Please CMIIW.

I don’t know of any other charity that only supports their own donors, so asking me about other charities isn’t an apples-to-apples comparison.

It’s actually really simple and covered in their terms

“20) The full collection of $100,000 per orphan is based on the membership of approximately 14,500 families which constitutes the group. In the event that a member’s death occurs before the group is complete, the collection total will be adjusted downward accordingly.“
Visibly Jewish

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #595 on: May 27, 2021, 08:49:54 AM »
I personally know of a family of 8 who areivim denied funds for them because they claimed that when he signed up he had some condition on his records (you have to sign that your healthy) of which statistics show that it could lead to cancer which he eventually got and fully recovered and then died from something else. I respect the decision made by areivims rabbi (big professional in medical). but the issue is that this yingerman had peace of mind knowing that he has some sort of Insurance, VS real LI where if they accept you by blood test means they cant screw you later on. (Check out the online application.)
Why didn't he buy life insurance? Was it because he was uninsurable because of this condition? If yes, that clearly violates the terms and for them to pay out to them would undermine the entire system. This story actually gives me more confidence in the program not less.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #596 on: May 27, 2021, 09:37:46 AM »
Why didn't he buy life insurance? Was it because he was uninsurable because of this condition? If yes, that clearly violates the terms and for them to pay out to them would undermine the entire system. This story actually gives me more confidence in the program not less.

Though the plight of the uninsurable definitely exists, maybe they should look into creating a sub-program for the uninsurable with graded benefits (or personal pay-in to uninsurable risk pool). IDK I am not an actuary, but since it is not restricted by state insurance laws, maybe something reasonable could be devised.
-- Dan

Offline tov hashem

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: May 27, 2021, 09:38:51 AM »
he would definitely be eligible for life insurance

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #598 on: May 27, 2021, 10:14:57 AM »
he would definitely be eligible for life insurance
So then why didn't he get some?

Offline yfr bachur

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: May 27, 2021, 12:04:49 PM »

Random Question: Did Areivim charge all it members when he died? if yes, what happened to that money?