Author Topic: Termites  (Read 1440 times)

Offline Sowhat

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Termites
« on: May 03, 2020, 01:15:07 PM »
A year ago, I had termites in an interior side door molding. Local guy whom I have used for years treated it, including by removing a part of the frame, treating the area, and the exterior.

About two weeks, I started seeing flying termites (they are not ants), getting worse, and I found some holes in a first floor window molding and a basement window frame.  My understanding is that the winged termites come only after the nest has been in existence for a long time.  That means that the treatment last year was not effective.  Yesterday, when it was warm, the flying bugs were out in force, for the first time.

Does anyone know if this makes sense--that the treatment last year was not effective?  The local guy is coming tomorrow to look and treat.  He is a nice guy and has always been a mentsch, but I wonder if this is above his pay grade.  I may ask him, but I wonder if the collective knowledge here can shed some light.  If I call another exterminator he will just want to do the complete treatment again, and I don't know if a new guy will be better.

Thanks.

Offline biobook

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Termites
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2020, 09:27:33 PM »
Do you know if they are drywood, dampwood, or subterranean termites?

My experience is with drywood termites, in Florida.  A drywood termite colony begins with a single male and female who enter a crevice in a piece of wood, seal themselves inside, and mate.  A couple weeks later there will be about 20 young ones, and the adults mate again. They chew on the wood, thereby hollowing out a tunnel in the wood.  They obtain all the nutrients they need from the wood, digesting it, and releasing tiny fecal pellets ("frass"), that look like sand, and which they push out of the tunnels through tiny holes.  This frass is the only indication humans have that there are termites within the structure.  They continue doing this for 3-5 years, at which time the colony has grown to about 2000 termites.  At that time, some termites begin to develop wings, and those are the ones that will fly out in the spring, looking for a mate and a new piece of wood to create a new colony.  This swarming of termites can continue for a few weeks or months in the spring, usually at night, peaking around sunset and sunrise.  Hundreds of the flying termites exit the colony, but the original colony remains in place.  That is, 500 may fly out, but there are still 1500 inside the tunnels. The following spring, a new group will develop wings and fly out. 

So, if you have drywood termites, the answer to your questions are:

Yes, when you see flying termites, they are coming from a colony has been in existence for several years already.

No, the presence of flying termites this year does not necessarily mean that the previous year's treatment was ineffective, just that it was incomplete.  There are at least two explanations:

1.  Last year's treatment may have destroyed part of the colony's termites, which are living in tunnels several feet long, with many branches.  When poison is injected into a tunnel, it will kill many termites, but termites in a distant part of the tunnel can block off that region, and live happily on for many years in regions of the tunnel that are free of the poison.  It can be difficult to completely eradicate the colony in one treatment, so I would not blame the guy if the colony is still active.  Did he make only one visit last year, or did he return a few weeks later to check if the colony was still active? (by seeing new frass deposited outside the tunnels, for example)

2.  Last year's treatment may have effectively destroyed the colony that you identified at that time, but clearly your house is termite heaven.  If one pair found a cozy retreat in a window molding five years ago, and a second pair set up housekeeping in the basement window, and a third pair somewhere else.  So the guy may have effectively destroyed several colonies, but not been aware of all of them. 

Again, this is for drywood termites.  Dampwood and subterranean termites have somewhat different life cycles and living conditions, and I have no experience with them.  But I think my answers would generalize to them as well, that is, (a) flying termites reflect a long-term colony, and (b) the local guy should not necessarily be blamed for the reappearance of flying termites this year.  They can be hard to get rid of, especially after a single treatment.

Online yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2020, 10:05:23 PM »
Thank you @biobook for your generous, in-depth explanation. May we never need to know more about termites... :)

Offline Sowhat

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2020, 11:46:57 AM »
Thank you.

We found the problem, something covered and which I did not remember last year.  So, the treatment last year probably slowed things, but could not eradicate what is the source.  Waiting to see how bad.

Offline biobook

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2020, 12:03:42 PM »
Good luck, and thanks for giving me the chance to talk about some of my favorite animals.

Offline stooges44

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 269
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2020, 12:40:01 PM »
Good luck, and thanks for giving me the chance to talk about some of my favorite animals.

With all the nonsense that typically overruns this place (corona, politics, corona politics, the he said/she said, etc..). Your post was such a breath of fresh air. Thank you for it.
If it's not free shipping it's not worth it.

Offline justmeha

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2020, 05:06:07 PM »
Do you know if they are drywood, dampwood, or subterranean termites?
thank you for taking the time to write up a helpful and informative post.
these post's make ddf usefull and interesting