Author Topic: Covid-19 # are skewed  (Read 12424 times)

Offline Lurker

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
Re: Covid-19 # are skewed
« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2020, 10:25:51 AM »
i think more then just 2 ppl could use this challange

I'm game. Anyone who is in and posts more than 20 times this week donates $50. First person to break 20 donates $100.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline yeshivabucher

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Travel Agent, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National EE, Uber VIP, SPG Gold
« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2020, 10:31:41 AM »
I'm game. Anyone who is in and posts more than 20 times this week donates $50. First person to break 20 donates $100.
maybe limit the 20 post rule to covid 19 thread

Offline yeshivabucher

• View Profile
  • Programs: Travel Agent, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National EE, Uber VIP, SPG Gold
« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2020, 10:32:07 AM »
open a new thread for this and lets see how much traction we get

Offline CountValentine

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2020, 10:34:13 AM »
So now we have a conspiracy to drive less traffic to DDF.
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline yeshivabucher

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2020, 10:38:52 AM »
So now we have a conspiracy to drive less traffic brainless post to DDF.
FTFY and yes

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 11, 2020, 10:40:36 AM »
FTFY and yes
You can also be limiting well thought out posts also.

Offline yeshivabucher

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 11, 2020, 10:45:39 AM »
You can also be limiting well thought out posts also.
should be worth $50-$100 then

Offline S209

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #47 on: May 11, 2020, 10:50:29 AM »
Why is it that anything that furthers your agenda of continued lockdown is assumed known as fact, while anything to the contrary is assumed false unless it can be proven with a double blind study of 10,000+ participants?

Source that I do that?

If I remember correctly early on you didn’t think it was that serious, although you at least pronounced doubt. Can I get an admittance on record that this has been much more deadly than you gave it credit for early on?

For some reason the people who’s agendas have stayed the same have relied on new arguments to convince themselves and others of the correct path. Was impeaching Trump for what happened in Ukraine biased or the right thing to do?

I wonder what the leading cause of excess deaths is, I think it can be very enlightening.
What exactly are you insinuating?
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #48 on: May 11, 2020, 10:52:33 AM »
Here's a friendly challenge, since we can't fix stupid anyway. In honor of Lag Ba'omer, let's cut down on the posts. Me and you. First person to 20 posts this week has to donate $100 to the other's tzedaka of choice. You get 20 posts, so good info can still be posted, but if you use them yelling at walls.... that's just a waste. You in?
Nope :(

Offline avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 11, 2020, 11:00:51 AM »
Source that I do that?
Here for one.
And no, they’re not dying from the lockdown. YOU’RE not stupid, at least that much I know.
What exactly are you insinuating?
Maybe we'll find evidence that the lockdown led to (some of) the excess deaths. I didn't specify because I don't want to start speculating without any evidence, but if we don't look at the data we'll never know.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #50 on: May 11, 2020, 11:06:03 AM »
Here for one.  Maybe we'll find evidence that the lockdown led to (some of) the excess deaths. I didn't specify because I don't want to start speculating without any evidence, but if we don't look at the data we'll never know.
I am sure that there were some deaths from the lockdown. There is no way the added stresses would not cause adverse enough effects in some with pre-existing conditions.

It is definitely worth examining and studying. The likelihood of that moving the needle in the context of COVID deaths is very slim.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #51 on: May 11, 2020, 11:10:53 AM »
Here for one.  Maybe we'll find evidence that the lockdown led to (some of) the excess deaths. I didn't specify because I don't want to start speculating without any evidence, but if we don't look at the data we'll never know.
The charts show a spike in deaths in all similar countries with or without lockdowns. You think there is a reasonable possibility that the lockdown immediately and directly contributed to the insane spikes?

I think it’s debatable to what extent various lockdowns have contributed to slow or stop the spread, though my Nordic countries comparison still seems to show a strong correlation between countrywide lockdown and lowering of deaths. What should not be debatable is whether COVID is directly causing many thousands of deaths in the US. Suggesting otherwise is a conspiracy theory on par with anti-vaxxers. Not every theory should be lent the same credibility and time of day. It’s especially not credible when they come from the same people that originally espoused ridiculous comparisons and arguments that have proven measurably false, who have since shifted their arguments to further the same agenda.

Again, it is reminiscent of the Democrats’ impeachment investigation and trial. While there may have been wrongdoing on the part of Trump, the Democrats lost a lot of credibility because they shouted for the same result for years, with different arguments.

Offline avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 11, 2020, 11:13:42 AM »
I am sure that there were some deaths from the lockdown. There is no way the added stresses would not cause adverse enough effects in some with pre-existing conditions.

It is definitely worth examining and studying. The likelihood of that moving the needle in the context of COVID deaths is very slim.
This is pure speculation, but what if we find a significant increase in deaths caused by blood clots that are not COVID related? I think it's definitely within the realm of possibility. It's also entirely possible that there will be evidence of under counted COVID deaths, but we definitely can't know without the numbers.

Offline avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 11, 2020, 11:15:02 AM »
The charts show a spike in deaths in all similar countries with or without lockdowns. You think there is a reasonable possibility that the lockdown immediately and directly contributed to the insane spikes?

I think it’s debatable to what extent various lockdowns have contributed to slow or stop the spread, though my Nordic countries comparison still seems to show a strong correlation between countrywide lockdown and lowering of deaths. What should not be debatable is whether COVID is directly causing many thousands of deaths in the US. Suggesting otherwise is a conspiracy theory on par with anti-vaxxers. Not every theory should be lent the same credibility and time of day. It’s especially not credible when they come from the same people that originally espoused ridiculous comparisons and arguments that have proven measurably false, who have since shifted their arguments to further the same agenda.

Again, it is reminiscent of the Democrats’ impeachment investigation and trial. While there may have been wrongdoing on the part of Trump, the Democrats lost a lot of credibility because they shouted for the same result for years, with different arguments.
Did you miss what I posted here?
I didn't specify because I don't want to start speculating without any evidence, but if we don't look at the data we'll never know.

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 11, 2020, 11:28:52 AM »
This is pure speculation, but what if we find a significant increase in deaths caused by blood clots that are not COVID related? I think it's definitely within the realm of possibility. It's also entirely possible that there will be evidence of under counted COVID deaths, but we definitely can't know without the numbers.
I wouldn't call it speculation since all information currently available leads in this direction. There is definitely reason to believe that COVID has been causing clotting and that this caused a spike in heart attacks which weren't attributed to the virus. Is it proven? No. Is there a good chance that some deaths are related to isolation? Is it possible that there is some something else out there causing these excess deaths? Yes, but the available information does not lead that way. Is it worth studying? yes.

Offline Redbull3

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #55 on: May 11, 2020, 11:43:34 AM »
Re lockdown, it's facts that it's leading to increased unemployment, hurting GDP, increasing poverty etc and we know poverty is like the number one risk factor for everything bad - drugs, crime, and yes mortality rates (dying early of diseases, starvation, crime, etc). Not negating anything said above but didn't see this stuff mentioned yet.

Offline avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 11, 2020, 11:53:46 AM »
I wouldn't call it speculation since all information currently available leads in this direction. There is definitely reason to believe that COVID has been causing clotting and that this caused a spike in heart attacks which weren't attributed to the virus. Is it proven? No. Is there a good chance that some deaths are related to isolation? Is it possible that there is some something else out there causing these excess deaths? Yes, but the available information does not lead that way. Is it worth studying? yes.
If we can find an increase in heart attacks in people confirmed COVID negative it would indicate an increase possibly due to lockdown. I don't know if we'll ever be able to find such data.

Offline yeshivabucher

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 11, 2020, 11:56:04 AM »
gets into a lot more topics including this one overall a  must see for everyone

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 11, 2020, 12:01:08 PM »
If we can find an increase in heart attacks in people confirmed COVID negative it would indicate an increase possibly due to lockdown. I don't know if we'll ever be able to find such data.
Correct.

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 11, 2020, 12:38:15 PM »
gets into a lot more topics including this one overall a  must see for everyone
Excellent piece but can we believe the counterpoint guy?