Author Topic: What are MEN in the USA that usually go to the Mikvah daily doing?  (Read 38682 times)

Offline m65

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: What are MEN in the USA that usually go to the Mikvah daily doing?
« Reply #140 on: May 04, 2020, 06:36:19 PM »
Could you post publicly here in detail (maybe with pictures) what you did for heater and filter/pump. What do you do about the faucet at the bottom?
i will try bl"n to write up the exact instructions, it might take some time
i have a heating unit, no filter, only chlorine. when the water gets too dirty (not very often at all) i just switch it, but thats complicated

Offline yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 04, 2020, 06:42:00 PM »
what could be stored in them that would stop u from buying it, holy water blessed by DJT?
Dangerous chemicals. That's what alot of them are used for.

Online ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
« Reply #142 on: May 04, 2020, 06:43:04 PM »
interesting, רבינו נבג"מ is one of the chabad rebbes?
i would love to see the source where רבינו נבג"מ says this, what youre quoting is a ליקוט מנהגים

If you would flip to the page before, you would see the source. This is a quote from the writings of R' Yaakov Landa z"l - Rov of Bnei Brak from 1936 to 1986. So רבינו נבג"מ is referring to the Rebbe Rashab.

Interestingly, a little further down he states that the shiur mikvah is about 726 liters - which is around 192 Gallons.

I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Online CountValentine

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #143 on: May 04, 2020, 06:43:56 PM »
what could be stored in them that would stop u from buying it, holy water blessed by DJT?
Dangerous chemicals. That's what alot of them are used for.
Ding ding ding we have a winner.
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
« Reply #144 on: May 04, 2020, 06:44:43 PM »
i will try bl"n to write up the exact instructions, it might take some time
i have a heating unit, no filter, only chlorine. when the water gets too dirty (not very often at all) i just switch it, but thats complicated

What kind of a heating unit? I wonder if something similar can be found in the US. How do you empty the water?
-- Dan

Offline m65

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 04, 2020, 06:56:48 PM »
Interestingly, a little further down he states that the shiur mikvah is about 726 liters - which is around 192 Gallons.

thats closer to the opinion of the chazon ish, which is interpreted as anywhere between 650-950 liters, i dont recall all the different places ive seen the different numbers claiming to be the chazon ish's shiur

If you would flip to the page before, you would see the source. This is a quote from the writings of R' Yaakov Landa z"l - Rov of Bnei Brak from 1936 to 1986. So רבינו נבג"מ is referring to the Rebbe Rashab.

do u know what the name of the sefer/kuntres where he explains why rubber is a kli hamekabel tumah? over here it sounds like its referencing to somewhere

Offline m65

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 04, 2020, 07:00:34 PM »
What kind of a heating unit? I wonder if something similar can be found in the US. How do you empty the water?
i took it from a dud shemesh, its the part with the metal rods that heat the water in the tank, in the tambur they cost new aprox 80 shekels (dont worry i didnt pay for it ;) )
there has to be something in the usa that heats water that gets switched every so often, hence being available as a separate piece.

Offline m65

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 04, 2020, 07:02:06 PM »
Ding ding ding we have a winner.
wow, u really r religious!

Offline m65

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 04, 2020, 07:04:07 PM »
seems like we have quite a few mikva enthusiasts over here, maybe its time for @CountValentine to start a MR thread- for mikve reports, where everyone can brag about the craziest things theyve done for a mikve

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 04, 2020, 07:40:45 PM »
thats closer to the opinion of the chazon ish, which is interpreted as anywhere between 650-950 liters, i dont recall all the different places ive seen the different numbers claiming to be the chazon ish's shiur

do u know what the name of the sefer/kuntres where he explains why rubber is a kli hamekabel tumah? over here it sounds like its referencing to somewhere

I now noticed an asterisk at the beginning of the piece, that mentions that this piece is a quote from טהרת מים by R' Nissan Telushkin. TLDR

However, regarding the rubber, this might have been a verbal instruction. R' Landa was the Posek in the courtyard of the Rebbe Rashab. IINM everything we know about the directives of the Rebbe Rashab as it relates to מקוואות are based on his testimony and writings.
-- Dan

Online CountValentine

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #150 on: May 04, 2020, 07:43:18 PM »
wow, u really r religious!
seems like we have quite a few mikva enthusiasts over here, maybe its time for @CountValentine to start a MR thread- for mikve reports, where everyone can brag about the craziest things theyve done for a mikve
I am worried about safety. You are going to be adding pumps and heaters around water. You need to be careful.
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline m65

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: May 04, 2020, 08:13:20 PM »
I now noticed an asterisk at the beginning of the piece, that mentions that this piece is a quote from טהרת מים by R' Nissan Telushkin. TLDR

However, regarding the rubber, this might have been a verbal instruction. R' Landa was the Posek in the courtyard of the Rebbe Rashab. IINM everything we know about the directives of the Rebbe Rashab as it relates to מקוואות are based on his testimony and writings.

i spent some time searching in the sefer טהרת מים that u mentioned. the author was obviously brilliant. he discusses it in  מהדורא תניינא pages קפ-קפג.  he is referring to a rubber cloth. which he brings opinions that it may be mekabel tumah like a בגד. he is not referring to a piece of rubber which cant be used as a cloth. there is no way that would be considered דבר המקבל טומאה.

Offline chinagel

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 04, 2020, 08:34:44 PM »
Why not use a sous vide to heat it?

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: May 04, 2020, 09:24:00 PM »
i spent some time searching in the sefer טהרת מים that u mentioned. the author was obviously brilliant. he discusses it in  מהדורא תניינא pages קפ-קפג.  he is referring to a rubber cloth. which he brings opinions that it may be mekabel tumah like a בגד. he is not referring to a piece of rubber which cant be used as a cloth. there is no way that would be considered דבר המקבל טומאה.

I am definitely no expert AND DID NOT STUDY THE TOPIC. R Telushkin and R Landa were definitely giants in Halacha an Mikva'os, and yet R Landa wrote that

IINM R Sholom Ber Levin, the librarian of the library of Agudas Chassidei Chabad wrote a sefer about תקוני מקוואות according to the תקנות of the Rebbe Rashab. Maybe there's some more light to be shed on the topic over there, or maybe you can contact him directly to find out more about it.

ETA: Addressed in Chapter 8, footnote 35 of R Levin's sefer https://chabadlibrary.org/books/chasidim/mkvh/8.htm#_ftn126
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 09:59:34 PM by ExGingi »
-- Dan

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: May 04, 2020, 09:32:02 PM »

It should be noted that this is all about מקווה נשים so he might be going לחומרא.
-- Dan

Offline zh cohen

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: May 04, 2020, 10:31:58 PM »
What kind of a heating unit? I wonder if something similar can be found in the US.

Maybe something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/GESAIL-Immersion-Submersible-Thermostat-Protection/dp/B07S95WHXB/

I don't know how well this specific one would work for so much water. Also, I doubt it heats the water evenly, so it might be dangerous

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 04, 2020, 10:51:16 PM »
Maybe something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/GESAIL-Immersion-Submersible-Thermostat-Protection/dp/B07S95WHXB/

I don't know how well this specific one would work for so much water. Also, I doubt it heats the water evenly, so it might be dangerous

Possibly more suitable (requires 240V):

Electric Water Heater Tune-Up Kit

https://www.homedepot.com/p/204834414
-- Dan

Offline EliJelly

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: May 04, 2020, 10:56:05 PM »
Genuinely wondering, are there no open mikvahs in CH at all or it's just that you stay away of those?

Offline m65

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: May 05, 2020, 02:39:37 AM »
I am definitely no expert AND DID NOT STUDY THE TOPIC. R Telushkin and R Landa were definitely giants in Halacha an Mikva'os, and yet R Landa wrote that

if u look in the sefer טהרת מים which u told me is the source for that ruling, he discuses if this problem  is davka when the rubber is 3x3  tefachim (שלשה על שלשה) or even 3x3 etzbaos (שלש על שלש), that question is only relevant to a בגד, keilim are not measured in etzbaos or tfachim. he must be talking about בגדים which some are mekabel tumah at 3 etzbaos and some have to be 3 tfachim

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: May 05, 2020, 08:18:25 AM »
if u look in the sefer טהרת מים which u told me is the source for that ruling,
You totally misunderstood me. I didn't say טהרת מים is the source of the ruling. I said that the entire piece from R Landa in ספר המנהגים is a quote from טהרת מים.

he discuses if this problem  is davka when the rubber is 3x3  tefachim (שלשה על שלשה) or even 3x3 etzbaos (שלש על שלש), that question is only relevant to a בגד, keilim are not measured in etzbaos or tfachim. he must be talking about בגדים which some are mekabel tumah at 3 etzbaos and some have to be 3 tfachim

As suspected, R Levin's sefer (and especially the footnotes) shed lots of light onto this. He also remains with a צ״ע at the end of his comments.

ETA: Here are some links to מראי מקומות he references there: https://chabadlibrary.org/books/maharshab/shut/3/35.htm
http://www.otzar770.com/cgi-bin/ImageService.exe/convert?ilFN=c:\projects\otzar770\ocr_files\main\egrot\07\B0000124.tif&ilIF=G&ilSC=30

It should be noted that while R Sholom Ber Levin is a great תלמיד חכם, with vast knowledge (and easy access to one of the greatest Jewish Libraries in the world (and probably by professional courtesy and reciprocity also to others) he is not a מורה הוראה, and as such he might lack the special סייעתא דשמיא granted to those who actually have that responsibility. He is phenomenal in teaching various aspects and sources in Torah and Halacha, but for a Halachic ruling one should only go to someone that bears that responsibility.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 10:04:30 AM by ExGingi »
-- Dan