Author Topic: When does it ever pay to book with Hertz, Avis, and other big names vs. Hotwire?  (Read 2919 times)

Offline momo613

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Hi,
I've been a Dansdeals and DDF follower for over a year now. I've learned a tremendous amount and have earned 100's of thousands of miles through credit cards. Every detail is clearly explained, maximizing award charts, points, and miles. However, I still don't get the Car rental deal. Why would anyone book with the big names when they are so much more than the cheaper companies. How do you get Elite status with the big names to get upgrades, and are the upgrades really worth it compared to the cheaper brands or Hotwire.
For years, I booked all my hotels and cars with hotwire. I'll be using Cash and points with SPG for my next hotel stay, and I clearly see the benefits there, but Car rentals still have me stumped.
Any Car rentals for Dummies guides, tips, or tricks you could give me? :)
thanks! :o

Offline BAHayman

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
Rentals under 21 years of age?

Offline yossi4k

• View Profile
  • Programs: Avis President's Club National Executive Elite Sixt Platinum
With avis if you get the right awd number plus coupon it will definitely come out cheaper than hotwire. Also with hot wire you never know which company your getting from as is the situation by priceline. I personally like using avis and hertz over the rest as they include basic liability in the rate.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Offline gozalim

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
I personally like using avis and hertz over the rest as they include basic liability in the rate.

I believe all companies must, by law, insure their cars to state minimum.
I doubt that those 2 companies are unique. all companies sell it as SLI (Supplemental Liability)

Offline Cbs

• View Profile
  • Programs: HHonors Gold, Delta Diamond Medallion, AA Platinum Pro
Hi,
I've been a Dansdeals and DDF follower for over a year now. I've learned a tremendous amount and have earned 100's of thousands of miles through credit cards. Every detail is clearly explained, maximizing award charts, points, and miles. However, I still don't get the Car rental deal. Why would anyone book with the big names when they are so much more than the cheaper companies. How do you get Elite status with the big names to get upgrades, and are the upgrades really worth it compared to the cheaper brands or Hotwire.
For years, I booked all my hotels and cars with hotwire. I'll be using Cash and points with SPG for my next hotel stay, and I clearly see the benefits there, but Car rentals still have me stumped.
Any Car rentals for Dummies guides, tips, or tricks you could give me? :)
thanks! :o
well if ur under 21 then the only way ull be able to rent (unless u have ur own corp.) is thru hertz USAA, so thats why ppl here do that.
and even if ur not under 21 i still believe that MOST times ull get a better rate with Hertz - especially if you change the country of origin.

Offline momo613

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
I am not under 21. Why? Are most of you guys on here under 21? Just wondering. ;D

Offline momo613

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
With avis if you get the right awd number plus coupon it will definitely come out cheaper than hotwire. Also with hot wire you never know which company your getting from as is the situation by priceline. I personally like using avis and hertz over the rest as they include basic liability in the rate.

Where do I get "right AWD numbers" and coupons?

Sorry,
I'm a complete newbie when it comes to rental car companies

Offline Cbs

• View Profile
  • Programs: HHonors Gold, Delta Diamond Medallion, AA Platinum Pro
Where do I get "right AWD numbers" and coupons?
Choose one ;)

Offline yossi4k

• View Profile
  • Programs: Avis President's Club National Executive Elite Sixt Platinum
Choose one ;)
Exactly. Its basically a hit or miss. Some awd's will work better than others in City A but will we be worse in City B.