Author Topic: Is Right Wing Media Pushing You Left Over COVID-19?  (Read 12306 times)

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
Re: Is Right Wing Media Pushing You Left Over COVID-19?
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2020, 03:58:02 PM »
This seems to be a common theme.
Well earned by the vast majority of them.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline CountValentine

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2020, 03:59:56 PM »
Possibly if I would see that they can get past biases. I haven't seen any of that on either side.
You have to want to see first. That is step one.
Do you every watch the nightly news on FOX, ABC, NBC, CBS or the other majors. If so do you think they just make things up?
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2020, 04:01:49 PM »
Well earned by the vast majority of them.
...but your position is that on so many things except in your little circle.
I was going to say I wonder why but I won't.  :)

Offline yelped

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2020, 04:02:17 PM »
Agreed, but most people will find that they align with one or the other on most issues.
I lean more right, but it depends in which areas. Some people just fall hook, line and sinker, for what it bandied about as right-wing.

In any case, people forget that Trump lovers are a whole different breed. Trump has very few "authentic" right-wing views.

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2020, 04:03:15 PM »
You have to want to see first. That is step one.
Do you every watch the nightly news on FOX, ABC, NBC, CBS or the other majors. If so do you think they just make things up?
I don't think that they make things up, but they view EVERYTHING through tinted lenses. The actual reporting is very slanted toward they way they want it to be.

Likovod May 4th I will bring a quote from my childhood

“The truth is often what we make of it; you heard what you wanted to hear, believed what you wanted to believe.”
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 04:06:21 PM by aygart »

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2020, 04:04:39 PM »
...but your position is that on so many things except in your little circle.
I was going to say I wonder why but I won't.  :)

1. where have I said it about things unrelated to politics?
2. What makes you think that I exclude my little circle?

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2020, 04:08:07 PM »
I don't think that they make things up, but they view EVERYTHING through tinted lenses.
Of course "they" view EVERYTHING through tinted lenses. "They" are different then you. 
Politicians and "they" we all know come from a different planet.  ::)

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2020, 04:09:49 PM »
Of course "they" view EVERYTHING through tinted lenses. "They" are different then you. 
Politicians and "they" we all know come from a different planet.  ::)
Everyone has their biases. The more vested someone becomes in their biases the more difficult it is to see past them.

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2020, 04:11:49 PM »
2. What makes you think that I exclude my little circle?
I don't recall you lumping everyone in your circle together. So let me just ask. Is everyone or "they" in your circle a fraud, dishonest or sees things only through rose colored glasses?

Offline yochiek93

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2020, 04:14:38 PM »
The one thing that got me surprised was I found myself agreeing with Anderson cooper on multiple occasions, which never happened before.

Offline Redbull3

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2020, 04:17:06 PM »
Left, right. I don't identify with either. They are all frauds. All they care about is their "honor" and money. This is kindergartners playing games with people lives. I can't fathom why people eagerly swallow all the garbage the pundits push down their throats. I identify with certain policies only.
This is how I always felt
Agreed, but most people will find that they align with one or the other on most issues.
Could be for most people but not me. I never really understood why pro-life and pro-2a and anti-gay marriage and smaller government etc etc all go with each other. I would rather think for myself and have my opinion on each issue.

As far as this particular issue goes I agree the typical right-wing "open up" stuff is nauseating, but I also cringe at the out of touch, ivory tower liberals telling everyone to "stay the F home" when they have no sensitivity to the lives at stake if we go into another depression. I identify with that venn diagram meme going around that says it's ok to be concerned with all 3 things - dangers of the virus, dangers of mass unemployment, dangers of government overreach.

Offline Sam Finkelstein

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2020, 04:17:22 PM »
Why did it need to become partisan is my question? Is both right and left wing media at fault?
Is leadership at fault for making it partisan?

The LW media stoked hysteria in order to crash the economy and make Trump look bad. RW media overcompensated. Then it blew up beyond how anyone imagined.
Formula for success: rise early, work hard, strike oil. –J. Paul Getty

Offline Jellybelly

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2020, 04:18:39 PM »
Certainly not true. I liked Kasich and Rubio in the primaries, but most here were Trump fans.
Actually, none at all.
Agree, I personally was a Rubio/ Cruz guy. But we were not given that choice in November!
Do you only not have regrets because your vote didn’t make a difference or would you feel the same if your vote would’ve caused Ohio to go to Hillary and for her to go on and win the election?

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2020, 04:18:56 PM »
The one thing that got me surprised was I found myself agreeing with Anderson cooper on multiple occasions, which never happened before.
He has his agenda but I can say he just doesn't make things up. Bret Baier on FOX I can say the same for. Dana Perino I put in the group also.
If people would just open their eyes they would see there is real reporting going on from both sides.

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2020, 04:23:20 PM »
I don't recall you lumping everyone in your circle together. So let me just ask. Is everyone or "they" in your circle a fraud, dishonest or sees things only through rose colored glasses?

I don't think that everyone is a fraud. I do think that politicians are worse (this includes the wider political industry) in that they are so vested in the minutae of their biases and their own advancement that it blocks out reality. I do think that everyone including myself sees life through tinted lenses. I am sure that I see the finer differences better among those that I am close with.

Offline Sam Finkelstein

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2020, 04:28:42 PM »
As far as this particular issue goes I agree the typical right-wing "open up" stuff is nauseating, but I also cringe at the out of touch, ivory tower liberals telling everyone to "stay the F home" when they have no sensitivity to the lives at stake if we go into another depression. I identify with that venn diagram meme going around that says it's ok to be concerned with all 3 things - dangers of the virus, dangers of mass unemployment, dangers of government overreach.

Well-said. Right-wing stuff doesn’t nauseate me; I just wish they’d be more open to acknowledging the danger. What gets me most of all is the groupthink that pols who advocate opening up don’t care about people’s lives.

DACOTYA also goes to Gov. Murphy: “Public health is economic health.”
Formula for success: rise early, work hard, strike oil. –J. Paul Getty

Offline zale

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2020, 04:42:46 PM »
Why did it need to become partisan is my question? Is both right and left wing media at fault?
Is leadership at fault for making it partisan?

Partisan politics has engulfed everything now. Both sides do this full time, but the Left started it. Their absolute trashing of Trump day in and day out has produced a reaction from the Right.

The Left was celebrating Covid-19 as a "takedown" of the economy, and therefore Trump. The Right reacted by trying to tone down the panic about Covid-19 and completely misrepresenting how dangerous it is. I don't and never have liked the crazies like Hannity and Tucker. O'reilly was a voice of reason, but alas he couldn't keep it in his pants.

The Left isn't clean in this. At the start , they too misrepresented the danger in the name of intersectionality and xenophobia. Nancy Pelosi in SF and many Liberal politicians in NY told people to attend a Chinese parade after alarm bells and red flags were already sprouting up.

You are upset about the Right for misrepresenting Covid-19, and understandably so. But look back at the disgusting, repulsive behavior of Left-wing reporters during Trump's addresses on Covid-19. Look at how the Left spent the early days of Covid doing nothing but trashing Trump.

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2020, 04:49:49 PM »
Partisan politics has engulfed everything now. Both sides do this full time, but the Left started it. Their absolute trashing of Trump day in and day out has produced a reaction from the Right.

The Left was celebrating Covid-19 as a "takedown" of the economy, and therefore Trump. The Right reacted by trying to tone down the panic about Covid-19 and completely misrepresenting how dangerous it is. I don't and never have liked the crazies like Hannity and Tucker. O'reilly was a voice of reason, but alas he couldn't keep it in his pants.

The Left isn't clean in this. At the start , they too misrepresented the danger in the name of intersectionality and xenophobia. Nancy Pelosi in SF and many Liberal politicians in NY told people to attend a Chinese parade after alarm bells and red flags were already sprouting up.

You are upset about the Right for misrepresenting Covid-19, and understandably so. But look back at the disgusting, repulsive behavior of Left-wing reporters during Trump's addresses on Covid-19. Look at how the Left spent the early days of Covid doing nothing but trashing Trump.
Good thing this response isn't slanted.  :)

Does this statement mean it didn't happen during the last administration?
"Both sides do this full time, but the Left started it. Their absolute trashing of Trump day in and day out has produced a reaction from the Right."

Lets agree that both sides got it wrong from the beginning. The problem is when the writing was on the wall you still had the main player from one side saying things like 15 will be 0 in a couple days.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2020, 04:50:09 PM »

At least personally, the right did more practical damage. The left's knee-jerk responses were expected and gross, but the right went off the deep-end for me and many stayed there throughout.
Among people I know, they parroted talking points from the start that this was just the flu and that I was was causing panic for nothing. Many still think that way.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Online Yehuda57

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2020, 04:55:26 PM »
So many good posts in this thread (in between Chaim's Aygart-CV spin). Refreshing.

The biggest trust hit will always be the media (if possible), not politicians. Contrasting the way some reported on Republican governers slowly (and responsibly) opening things up and being called murderers to the reporting on packed NYC parks (well, I guess you can't keep the people locked up too long, that's unreasonable). Or contrasting Joe Biden reporting to Kavanaugh reporting, really removes any hint of a mask on the biases.

It would be shameful if there was any shame left to be had.

I didn't vote for Trump. Won't vote for him in 2020 either. But I completely understand why anyone would vote for him. I didn't in 2016.