Topic Wiki

The substantial substance of your sustained subsistent substance has subdued me into subversion.

« Last edited by Iz on May 05, 2020, 11:24:47 AM »

Author Topic: 5 Towns/Rockaway Rabbonim Ban All Minyanim Due To COVID-19 (Split Topic)  (Read 86863 times)

Online JMHO

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Lichvod the Wonderful Members of our Far Rockaway and Five Towns Community שיחיו,

We sincerely hope that this letter finds you all managing well under the current difficult circumstances, and we daven continuously that HaKB"H send all Acheinu B'nei Yisroel the refuos, nechamos, and yeshuos for which we all so truly yearn.

There has recently been much discussion regarding the loosening of social distancing restrictions. We would like to specifically address herein the numerous calls and requests that have been presented to all our community Rabbanim regarding outdoor Minyanim.

Many individuals have been asking Rabbanim to demonstrate leadership by issuing clear guidelines for the establishment of safe outdoor Minyanim. We all understand that Tefilla Bi'Tzibbur is a crucial imperative for Klal Yisroel, especially in a time of crisis, and that davening together could provide us the זכויות and the connection that we so desperately need. People are requesting that Rabbanim, in conjunction with medical professionals, create guidelines for safe and legal Minyanim in our neighborhoods, with all participants wearing masks at safe distances, perhaps on separate properties, with safeguards in place to ensure that there is no significant risk.

We, the undersigned Rabbanim and Roshei Yeshivos, after much thought and careful consideration, feel obligated to communicate- in unequivocal terms- our united decision to reinforce our previous mandate, and bid our community against the creation of any Minyanim, as well as to cease unauthorized Minyanim. This includes porches, front-/backyard, Minyanim--with no exceptions whatsoever. We will continue to reassess and reanalyze this decision on a regular and ongoing basis as new developments unfold.

Pikuach Nefesh is the greatest imperative in the Torah, and overrides almost any other Mitzva. Although on an individual level it may be possible to safeguard against risk, it is impossible to allow the establishment of Minyanim across a community without also accepting the unavoidable violations of safety guidelines and inadvertent health risks that will inevitably result (especially with hundreds davening three times a day, every day). כל המקיים נפש אחת מישראל...כאילו קיים עולם מלא-- סנהדרין לז. Easing the prohibition would be, at the very minimum, a Sa'fek Pi'kuach Nefesh that could endanger participants, and could increase the likelihood of illness and loss of life in our community, chalila vi'chas. And this simply cannot be allowed. At this point in time, this overarching principle is docheh the imperatives of Tefilla B'tzibbur, Aveilim reciting Kaddish, and many other Halachos. We call upon each and every member of our community to adhere to the safeguards that are essential for the protection of us all. Let us do our absolute utmost in following the Torah's mandate of ונשמרתם מאד לנפשותיכם.

Our responsibility to be proactive and vigilant against any possibility of health risk and sakanah extends to far more than just Minyanim. It should be obvious that if we have taken this extraordinary step of temporarily being mi'vatel Tefilla B'Tzibbur in order to save lives, we most certainly must be extra cautious when shopping and engaging in any other activity outside the home. We strongly urge our community to not only adhere scrupulously to all laws and protocols regarding social distancing, but also to exhibit extra zehirus and care to stay within your homes, and to limit any outside social interactions- even while wearing masks- to only that which is extremely important, absolutely necessary, and truly unavoidable. This includes avoiding trips into restaurants and other situations of potential exposure that are not truly essential.

We know that current conditions have been extremely difficult. We truly commiserate and are in constant deliberation how best to make the matzav more bearable. Please take comfort in the fact that, B’Ezras Hashem, your admirable efforts and sacrifices have made a dramatic difference: you have saved, and will IY"H continue to save, countless lives.

Yi'yasher Ko'chachem for all your tremendous concern, patience, and understanding.
!חזק חזק ונתחזק

We will get through this crisis together as a unified community, with abundant Siyata Dishmaya each and every day IY"H. Let us continue to give the Ribbono Shel Olam נחת רוח in carrying out Ratzon Hashem at this time, and merit to emerge from this crisis stronger and better than ever before.

With boundless love, profound care and concern, and sincere admiration for this incredible and special community,

56 Roshei Yeshivos and Rabbanim in the Five Towns/Far Rockaway/Bayswater Community- in alphabetical order:
R' Shalom Axelrod
R' Yaakov Bender
R' Dovid Bender
R' Hershel Billet
R' Yisroel Meir Blumenkrantz
R' Meyer Bodner
R' Simcha Bondi
R' Meir Braunstein
R' Dov Bressler
R' Moshe Brown
R' Pinchas Chatzinoff
R' Shaul Chill
R' Ariel Edelstein
R' Menachem Feifer
R' Aaron Feigenbaum
R' Eytan Feiner
R' Yaakov Feitman
R' Eliezer Feuer
R' Tzvi Flaum
R' Binyamin Forst
R' Aryeh Zev Ginzberg
R' Daniel Glatstein
R' Dr. Aaron Glatt
R' Nosson Greenberg
R' Kenneth Hain
R' Simcha Hopkovitz
R' Yaakov Horowitz
R' Naftali Jaeger
R' Yudi Jeger
R' Muttel Katz
R' Moshe Zev Katzenstein
R' Aryeh Lebowitz
R' Simcha Lefkowitz
R' Yoni Levin
R' Avi Miller
R' Motti Neuburger
R' Uri Orlian
R' Yechiel Yitzchok Perr
R' Ephraim Polakoff
R' Zvi Ralbag
R' Isaac Rice
R' Elysha Sandler
R' Shay Schachter
R' Yehuda Septimus
R' Aaron Stein
R' Asher Stern
R' Mordechai Stern
R' Moshe Teitelbaum
R' Yaakov Trump
R' Shmaryahu Weinberg
R' Moshe Weinberger
R' Pinchus Weinberger
R' Akiva Willig
R' Eliyahu Wolf
R' Zalman Wolowik
R' Mordechai Yaffe
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 11:46:47 PM by Dan »

Offline sammyp

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
Re: 5 Towns/Rockaway Master Thread
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2020, 04:54:18 PM »
It's interesting to note which Rabonim's signatures are NOT on the letter.

Offline momo

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Re: 5 Towns/Rockaway Master Thread
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2020, 05:08:30 PM »
Care to share?

Online JMHO

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2020, 05:33:16 PM »
Care to share?
R' Elisha Horowitz (Novominsk Rebbe son in law) among others.

Offline Afrages6

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2020, 05:38:15 PM »
R' Elisha Horowitz (Novominsk Rebbe son in law) among others.
Rabbi Horowitz son in law did sign it interestingly enough

Offline coralsnake

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2020, 05:59:00 PM »
The ones who work for GG?
"Here at DansDeals we don’t do buses." -Dan

Offline Sammy82

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2020, 06:24:32 PM »

Offline shiframeir

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
  • Programs: spg gold. nothing else. sigh.
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2020, 02:48:12 AM »
looks like r Weitz (ishei yisroel) didnt?

Online JMHO

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2020, 09:07:44 AM »
Rabbi Horowitz son in law did sign it interestingly enough
Who's that?

Online JMHO

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2020, 09:08:02 AM »
looks like r Weitz (ishei yisroel) didnt?
Lol

Offline Afrages6

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2020, 09:32:10 AM »

Offline ushdadude

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2020, 02:32:10 PM »
Rabbi Speigel
Rabbi Keilish

Offline sammyp

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2020, 03:31:35 PM »
Look at this comment on 5Townscentral

https://beta.5townscentral.com/2020/04/24/update-from-the-roshei-yeshivos-and-rabbanim-in-the-five-towns-far-rockaway-community/

Loyal 5T Resident April 26, 2020 At 10:50 am
Thank You. L’Kovod Chashuve Five Towns & Far Rockaway Rabbanim, I, like most of the community received the letter that was put out on Friday. It is indeed undeniable that the Coronavirus has taken a tremendous toll on the world at large and specifically Klal Yisrael. We have lost our rabbiem, grandparents, fathers, mothers, uncles and aunts. We are in a tremendous Eis Tzarah. While we have utmost Achrayos to uphold the Mitzvah in the Torah of “V’nishmartem m’eod lnafshosachem”, that does not mean we do not have to think in the way that the Torah teaches us to. It does not mean that we cannot be creative in trying to find ways to perform mitzvos under duress. The letter banning minyanim under any circumstance is draconian and too encompassing. It is also inconsistent with the lack of decrees against similar or worse situations that could spread this terrible disease. I’ll mention one: There is no denying that in this community there are hundreds, if not thousands of people, that have cleaning help coming to their house daily. It is overwhelmingly probable that cleaning ladies will transmit the disease. Did I see a letter about cleaning ladies coming to houses? Nope. In fact, a close friend of mine recently told me that when he asked his Rav about thi,s the Rav replied “I’ll have to look into it. I’m not sure there is anything to do about that.” Really? You seemed to be able to do something about minyanim! Instead of making blanked statements, why don’t we create solutions? After I davened in my home this Shabbos, I looked outside my window to see plenty of people on my block Shmuzing with the neighbors. Was anyone breaking the rules? Nope. They were responsible. Each of the three or four groups were socially distanced, some of them even wearing masks, and complying with all the rules. I mused to myself that the Ribono Shel Olam was probably very sad when he saw that people can’t Daven outside, yet they can Shmuz outside! Pikuach Nefesh does in fact override every Mitzvah in the Torah, but many Rabbanim outside of this community feel that if the minyanim are properly socially distanced, it is not deemed Pikuach Nefesh. Do the Rabbanim of this community not trust the people? You seem to trust them when it comes to going to restaurants and supermarkets. You trust them in every other facet of life. And you should. Why can the people not be trusted now? Every block will have one appointed member to be in charge, there will be no exceptions, any person who does not adhere to STRICT social distancing, will not be allowed to join the Minyan. There will be 3 set minyanim per day, no more. We can have police patrolling to make sure that everyone is adhering. (B”H this community is very well-connected governmentally). In fact, in Lakewood, the police do patrol the neighborhood to watch over the Minyanim. It can be done. We can do it. And while the Ratzon Hashem is to be very Makpid on Shmiras HaNefesh, we can be very careful while still davening with a minyan. I wonder if the Ratzon Hashem is to have no minyanim period. A prominent modern-orthodox Rabbi wrote on April 19, responding to the Lakewood Poskim, who are Tremendous Talmidei Chochomim and Yarei Shamayim. “The very fact that such a long winded essay is necessary to give license for outdoor minyanim is already an indication that this is a poor choice by those who created this document.” I hope that he does not criticize the letter he signed as long-winded. A poor choice? These are called guidelines. Is the long-winded text of the Bach and The Beis Yosef, “A poor choice”? Are tshuvos that are long- and winded from R’ Akiva Eiger a “poor choice”? No! This in fact the proof that the letter is sincere because it is based on halacha and da’as Torah! It is inexcusable for a Rabbi of that stature of to mock Talmidei Chachamim like that. We should in fact copy the Lakewood model, which has worked tremendously well. There are plenty of videos of the Lakewood porch Minyanim going around, and in every one of them it is seen that the people are adhering tremendously well. In fact, Lakewood Hatzalah has reported that the numbers of new Covid-19 admissions have significantly dropped in the past two weeks, despite the Porch Minyanim going on. In this community, the people have proven to follow the social distancing guidelines extremely well. This is well proven since hospital admissions have B”H dropped tremendously in the past 2 weeks in this community. The people of this community are clamoring to daven with a minyan again. We are clamoring, waiting, and longing to get back. We will do anything. We will social distance double the standard of the doctors. We will wear masks. We will check in with the doctors and Rabbanim.. Please trust us! Let us work together to make this happen safely, efficiently, sanitarily, and most importantly in a way that is Mekadesh Shem Shomayim. May we be zochech to see the end of this magefah with the coming of Moshiach B’mehaira B’yamainu Amen. Sincerely, A loyal Five Towns resident

Offline yitzgar

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2020, 03:42:48 PM »

https://beta.5townscentral.com/2020/04/24/update-from-the-roshei-yeshivos-and-rabbanim-in-the-five-towns-far-rockaway-community/

Thank You. L’Kovod Chashuve Five Towns & Far Rockaway Rabbanim, I, like most of the community received the letter that was put out on Friday. It is indeed undeniable that the Coronavirus has taken a tremendous toll on the world at large and specifically Klal Yisrael. We have lost our rabbiem, grandparents, fathers, mothers, uncles and aunts. We are in a tremendous Eis Tzarah. While we have utmost Achrayos to uphold the Mitzvah in the Torah of “V’nishmartem m’eod lnafshosachem”, that does not mean we do not have to think in the way that the Torah teaches us to. It does not mean that we cannot be creative in trying to find ways to perform mitzvos under duress. The letter banning minyanim under any circumstance is draconian and too encompassing. It is also inconsistent with the lack of decrees against similar or worse situations that could spread this terrible disease. I’ll mention one: There is no denying that in this community there are hundreds, if not thousands of people, that have cleaning help coming to their house daily. It is overwhelmingly probable that cleaning ladies will transmit the disease. Did I see a letter about cleaning ladies coming to houses? Nope. In fact, a close friend of mine recently told me that when he asked his Rav about thi,s the Rav replied “I’ll have to look into it. I’m not sure there is anything to do about that.” Really? You seemed to be able to do something about minyanim! Instead of making blanked statements, why don’t we create solutions? After I davened in my home this Shabbos, I looked outside my window to see plenty of people on my block Shmuzing with the neighbors. Was anyone breaking the rules? Nope. They were responsible. Each of the three or four groups were socially distanced, some of them even wearing masks, and complying with all the rules. I mused to myself that the Ribono Shel Olam was probably very sad when he saw that people can’t Daven outside, yet they can Shmuz outside! Pikuach Nefesh does in fact override every Mitzvah in the Torah, but many Rabbanim outside of this community feel that if the minyanim are properly socially distanced, it is not deemed Pikuach Nefesh. Do the Rabbanim of this community not trust the people? You seem to trust them when it comes to going to restaurants and supermarkets. You trust them in every other facet of life. And you should. Why can the people not be trusted now? Every block will have one appointed member to be in charge, there will be no exceptions, any person who does not adhere to STRICT social distancing, will not be allowed to join the Minyan. There will be 3 set minyanim per day, no more. We can have police patrolling to make sure that everyone is adhering. (B”H this community is very well-connected governmentally). In fact, in Lakewood, the police do patrol the neighborhood to watch over the Minyanim. It can be done. We can do it. And while the Ratzon Hashem is to be very Makpid on Shmiras HaNefesh, we can be very careful while still davening with a minyan. I wonder if the Ratzon Hashem is to have no minyanim period. A prominent modern-orthodox Rabbi wrote on April 19, responding to the Lakewood Poskim, who are Tremendous Talmidei Chochomim and Yarei Shamayim. “The very fact that such a long winded essay is necessary to give license for outdoor minyanim is already an indication that this is a poor choice by those who created this document.” I hope that he does not criticize the letter he signed as long-winded. A poor choice? These are called guidelines. Is the long-winded text of the Bach and The Beis Yosef, “A poor choice”? Are tshuvos that are long- and winded from R’ Akiva Eiger a “poor choice”? No! This in fact the proof that the letter is sincere because it is based on halacha and da’as Torah! It is inexcusable for a Rabbi of that stature of to mock Talmidei Chachamim like that. We should in fact copy the Lakewood model, which has worked tremendously well. There are plenty of videos of the Lakewood porch Minyanim going around, and in every one of them it is seen that the people are adhering tremendously well. In fact, Lakewood Hatzalah has reported that the numbers of new Covid-19 admissions have significantly dropped in the past two weeks, despite the Porch Minyanim going on. In this community, the people have proven to follow the social distancing guidelines extremely well. This is well proven since hospital admissions have B”H dropped tremendously in the past 2 weeks in this community. The people of this community are clamoring to daven with a minyan again. We are clamoring, waiting, and longing to get back. We will do anything. We will social distance double the standard of the doctors. We will wear masks. We will check in with the doctors and Rabbanim.. Please trust us! Let us work together to make this happen safely, efficiently, sanitarily, and most importantly in a way that is Mekadesh Shem Shomayim. May we be zochech to see the end of this magefah with the coming of Moshiach B’mehaira B’yamainu Amen. Sincerely, A loyal Five Towns resident
Chutzpah

Offline Afrages6

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2020, 03:44:17 PM »

Offline yitzgar

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2020, 03:46:50 PM »
Why?
It is literally dripping with chutzpah toward the Rabbonim. Starting off with the word "lechavod" doesn't kasher it. And if someone has an issue with a nearly unanimous psak of the town Rabbonim, they should take it up with them, not post online.

Offline neveryou

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2020, 04:26:51 PM »
It is literally dripping with chutzpah toward the Rabbonim. Starting off with the word "lechavod" doesn't kasher it. And if someone has an issue with a nearly unanimous psak of the town Rabbonim, they should take it up with them, not post online.
He's asking a מהיכן דנתוני

He's trying to understand the rabanim

Offline shiframeir

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
  • Programs: spg gold. nothing else. sigh.
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2020, 04:30:52 PM »

in addition to chutzpah, its misguided and silly. 1) the chillul hashem we will get from these policed minyanim isnt worth it. 2) has he never heard of a loh plug? Chazal said we couldnt blow shofer on RH and miss out on the only day of deoraisah lulav on succos because we may come to carry to a mumche, aye, we could have set up safeguards! Chazal were Bums!! 3) re household help, i believe most rabbis clearly and specifically suggested everyone stop household help (I know R willig did) unless they are living at the house (live-ins) anyway and everyone is quarantining together). I just ordered a robotic vacuum mop, bc we havent had help since before purim :)

Offline neveryou

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2020, 04:35:52 PM »

in addition to chutzpah, its misguided and silly. 1) the chillul hashem we will get from these policed minyanim isnt worth it. 2) has he never heard of a loh plug? Chazal said we couldnt blow shofer on RH and miss out on the only day of deoraisah lulav on succos because we may come to carry to a mumche, aye, we could have set up safeguards! Chazal were Bums!! 3) re household help, i believe most rabbis clearly and specifically suggested everyone stop household help (I know R willig did) unless they are living at the house (live-ins) anyway and everyone is quarantining together). I just ordered a robotic vacuum mop, bc we havent had help since before purim :)

"Suggested" not assured,
Big difference

Offline sammyp

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2020, 04:50:06 PM »

Only Chazal have the right to make "lo plugs".

This commentator is just trying to understand why the Five Towns is the one of the only neighborhoods coming out with such heavy restrictions against davening with a minyan. On Shabbos, everyone davens at home and then go outside to socialize. Just doesn't seem right. Also, not all Rabonim signed, and apparently not all signatories really agree with it. Some say they were pressured to sign, while some even deny signing at all.

If the law allows it, it can't be that dangerous,