Topic Wiki

The substantial substance of your sustained subsistent substance has subdued me into subversion.

« Last edited by Iz on May 05, 2020, 11:24:47 AM »

Author Topic: 5 Towns/Rockaway Rabbonim Ban All Minyanim Due To COVID-19 (Split Topic)  (Read 88688 times)

Offline Iz

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
Re: Re: 5 Towns/Rockaway Master Thread
« Reply #60 on: April 29, 2020, 02:30:54 PM »
learnt under Rav Lichtenshtein.
Quite irrelevant. Need I give examples of talmidim not exactly emulating their rebbeim? You can probably think of a few.

Offline JS69

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 29, 2020, 03:47:45 PM »
Quite irrelevant. Need I give examples of talmidim not exactly emulating their rebbeim? You can probably think of a few.

But does he not deserve the Rabbi moniker?

Offline sammyp

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 29, 2020, 04:37:38 PM »
But does he not deserve the Rabbi moniker?
Read my last post for explanation.

Offline S209

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #63 on: April 30, 2020, 08:50:09 AM »
Sorry to burst your bubble, but the "whole community" does not go to his minyan factory. I personally went there once for a maariv when I was stuck. When I heard the kaddish coming from the ladies section I realized it was not for me.

It has nothing to do with his opinion. Many great Rabbis agree with him about the minyan issue. But anybody who publicly bashes five of our greatest and most respected leaders and poskim, just because they don't buy into his agenda, is not worthy of being called a Rabbi. Rabbi Lichtenshtein zt"l would have never done that. Nor would he have been moser other Rabbis who don't agree with him. Mesira is the next level and is prohibited under almost all circumstances. (In a teshuva written recently by Rabbi Shternbuch from Eretz Yisroel he writes one can only be moser if you know for sure that the person is positive, is not keeping distancing rules, and was warned first and does not listen. Otherwise, he writes there are severe ramifications for those who are moser.)
I know nothing about this Rav but out of curiosity have you ever researched this, including what they always did in Europe and R’ Moshe’s opinion?
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline ethana

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile

Offline ushdadude

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 30, 2020, 09:50:49 AM »

Offline mercaz1

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 30, 2020, 09:55:14 AM »
are the bingo rumors dead?

Offline coralsnake

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 30, 2020, 10:23:16 AM »

Interesting. That's Lowe's parking lot. Wonder who they are replacing
Probably old Kmart.
"Here at DansDeals we don’t do buses." -Dan

Offline sammyp

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 30, 2020, 11:15:16 AM »
I know nothing about this Rav but out of curiosity have you ever researched this, including what they always did in Europe and R’ Moshe’s opinion?
This Rov isv one of the leading authorities still alive now. Wrote many sefarim including Moadim Uzmanim.

Yes I did research. In Europe they would "accidentally" drown the a moser in the mikvah...

Offline Iz

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 30, 2020, 11:17:02 AM »
This Rov isv one of the leading authorities still alive now. Wrote many sefarim including Moadim Uzmanim.

Yes I did research. In Europe they would "accidentally" drown the a moser in the mikvah...
You missed his bolding. Reread his post.

Offline sammyp

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 30, 2020, 11:24:52 AM »
are the bingo rumors dead?

No. They are not dead. I spoke  to someone on the inside. They are finishing their store in Monsey. After it's open, they are going to focus on the Five Towns. They are a little nervous to come here. Somebody is telling therm it wont take off. (Probably a GG affiliate.) But they are still interested. t would help if people from here would email them to let them know we want them here. That's what II hear froom the iinside.

The Stop & Shop move is a pretty stupid move on their part.  Their new location is very inconvenient. It get's very trafficy there. It's sad to see them leave when they are doing so well...

Offline coralsnake

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 30, 2020, 11:28:27 AM »
The Stop & Shop move is a pretty stupid move on their part.  Their new location is very inconvenient. It get's very trafficy there.
Something I agree with.

Although S&S Burnside location would be lovely for Bingo...

Offline sammyp

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 30, 2020, 11:28:57 AM »
You missed his bolding. Reread his post.

Correct. I missed his bolding. This was not done in Europe and is not an accepted practice in most of the frum world.  Most ladies did not even attend shul in those days. If you have more information, kindly share.

Offline sammyp

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 30, 2020, 11:45:14 AM »
I don't know who put it in or if it's at all reliable, but someone put as local Bingo location into Waze already.

Offline coralsnake

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 30, 2020, 11:47:13 AM »
I don't know who put it in or if it's at all reliable, but someone put as local Bingo location into Waze already.
Interesting, but its McDonalds address.

Offline ReadsTheT&C

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 30, 2020, 12:13:22 PM »
Read my last post for explanation.
Say what you will about R' Billet. Everyone else in the YIW and the 5towns already has for decades. But to refuse to call a past president of the RCA and member of the OU board a rabbi after growing the YIW into one of, if not the largest Modern Orthodox congregation in the world is just plain wrong. If he is calling out rabbis who are maskim porch minyanim, I am sure it is done in consultation with his colleague Rabbi (Dr.) Glatt out of a deep concern for saving lives. I'm grateful for your opinion since it encapsulates what the Young Israel communities were afraid of when the Vaads merged in 2000: https://www.nytimes.com/2000/10/08/nyregion/long-island-journal-more-kosher-than-thou-in-the-five-towns.html

I just wish there was a forum we could review from 1848 when, l'havdil, a 39 year old R' Yisroel Salanter ztzl ate from the bimah in Vilna on Yom Kippur. I can't imagine there was anything close to unanimity that he was correct, or even in his ability to make that decision on behalf of the community. Completely OT but there's a great 18 page article written by a frum pediatrician on the subject: https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/bd92/204a15fcc87b7478827f0a191e321a4b2e03.pdf?_ga=2.170691168.1342060070.1588261941-406343607.1588261941

Back to Bingo! GG charges a lot and is making a killing but OTOH shopping there is a pleasure and their owner gives a massive amount of tzedaka so it's ok :) Now we're all caught up.

Offline ushdadude

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 30, 2020, 12:31:00 PM »
Something I agree with.

Although S&S Burnside location would be lovely for Bingo...
But the Burnside store is a dump. I actually drive to oceancide instead of going there. Hopefully they can maintain the new store better.

Offline sammyp

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 30, 2020, 12:41:20 PM »
Say what you will about R' Billet. Everyone else in the YIW and the 5towns already has for decades. But to refuse to call a past president of the RCA and member of the OU board a rabbi after growing the YIW into one of, if not the largest Modern Orthodox congregation in the world is just plain wrong. If he is calling out rabbis who are maskim porch minyanim, I am sure it is done in consultation with his colleague Rabbi (Dr.) Glatt out of a deep concern for saving lives. I'm grateful for your opinion since it encapsulates what the Young Israel communities were afraid of when the Vaads merged in 2000: https://www.nytimes.com/2000/10/08/nyregion/long-island-journal-more-kosher-than-thou-in-the-five-towns.html

I just wish there was a forum we could review from 1848 when, l'havdil, a 39 year old R' Yisroel Salanter ztzl ate from the bimah in Vilna on Yom Kippur. I can't imagine there was anything close to unanimity that he was correct, or even in his ability to make that decision on behalf of the community. Completely OT but there's a great 18 page article written by a frum pediatrician on the subject: https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/bd92/204a15fcc87b7478827f0a191e321a4b2e03.pdf?_ga=2.170691168.1342060070.1588261941-406343607.1588261941

Back to Bingo! GG charges a lot and is making a killing but OTOH shopping there is a pleasure and their owner gives a massive amount of tzedaka so it's ok :) Now we're all caught up.

It's amazing how you missed every point I made. A Rabbi can have his own opinion, even if the majority is against him. But he has not right to belittle (to put it mildly) those who disagree with him. It doesn't matter if he consults with his own Rabbi Dr.. The other Rabbis and Rosh Hayeshivas that also feel there should not be minyanim are not attacking the other side and are not going on a campaign. This is where your "Rabbi" stands alone.

And to be moser on an another respectable Rabbi crosses all lines. Even if he served on the RCA and OU, mesirah should have him dis-barred.

And about GG, let them lower the prices and allow people to feed their families, even if that will stop them from giving tzedaka.  Don't choke the world so you can have your emblem posted on every fundraiser in town.

Offline ushdadude

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 30, 2020, 12:41:26 PM »

Offline JuryDuty

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 30, 2020, 12:57:04 PM »
But the Burnside store is a dump. I actually drive to oceancide instead of going there. Hopefully they can maintain the new store better.

Yes, it's a dump, but it's close and convenient for most people's needs. I'm pretty disappointed.
Jury Duty: Nothing to do there but chill and write a TR. Kinda like the beach but missing the view and ocean breeze.