Topic Wiki

The substantial substance of your sustained subsistent substance has subdued me into subversion.

« Last edited by Iz on May 05, 2020, 11:24:47 AM »

Author Topic: 5 Towns/Rockaway Rabbonim Ban All Minyanim Due To COVID-19 (Split Topic)  (Read 86829 times)

Offline ethana

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Re: 5 Towns/Rockaway Master Thread
« Reply #200 on: May 04, 2020, 08:29:38 PM »
Why did doma and cork and slice decide to close?

Offline Afrages6

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: May 04, 2020, 08:36:24 PM »
Why did doma and cork and slice decide to close?
Cork and slice opened for pickup/delivery today and Doma seems to be doing the same very soon.

Offline ethana

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: May 04, 2020, 08:39:06 PM »
Ah ok. Good to know

Offline reed

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: May 04, 2020, 08:49:44 PM »
Chosen closed?

Offline sammyp

• View Profile
« Reply #204 on: May 04, 2020, 08:50:57 PM »
In the letter they say specifically that outdoors or porch minyanim is a safek pn so where are you quoting that they themselves said it isn't?
For your second point about making issues about vaping, my whole point is that for a mitzva you need to be extra vigilant that a takala doesnt come out of it. Vaping would go into the same category as going shopping during covid where they dont have to make issue or get involved with.
You can disagree with him making that tzu shtel but I think his point was regardless of what was in halichos shlomo. He just puts in that someone showed him that the concept was also brought there but that wasnt where he was coming from. He was saying this concept based on a bunch of other rayos he showed disregarding the fact that halochos shlomo had said what he said.
In regards to it being a moot point because they are seeing the light, you are making it sound like they are all finally realizing the truth. Everything will eventually open up at some point and the indicator will be when they feel that cases are not prevalent enough to constitute a pn. Not that they will see that they were always wrong and see the light.

You didn't read their letters carefully. Nowhere do they write that outside minyanim themselves are dangerous. That would be silly. I spoke to them and also saw what the Rabbi of YIW wrote clearly. It was a gezaira maybe people might go inside or not keep rules.

The shtikel you posted did not have any solid rayos at all. In fact we always find שלוחי מצוה אינם ניזקין and שומר מצוה לא ידע דבר רע when it come to kiyum hamitzvos. To say differently is a big chidush.

Offline ushdadude

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: May 04, 2020, 08:54:22 PM »
Chosen closed?
a while ago. opening up again this week

Offline yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: May 04, 2020, 09:54:47 PM »
You are a troll. You keep on misquoting me out of context. You should apply for a job at CNN
I legitimately have no idea what your problem is, but you really need help. רפואה שלימה
Way to go, guys. You've really made your case. Thank you so much for making it clear there are no two sides the way you both present it. Have a good day.

Offline shiframeir

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
  • Programs: spg gold. nothing else. sigh.
« Reply #207 on: May 04, 2020, 10:01:22 PM »
In fact we always find שלוחי מצוה אינם ניזקין and שומר מצוה לא ידע דבר רע when it come to kiyum hamitzvos. To say differently is a big chidush.
that's just not true, virtually every pirush on those reads that as u get credit in the next world etc., but that mitzvos dont actually protect you from physical world dangers, and indeed those who are extra holy and constantly involved in mitzvos are sometimes taken first. if u were right every tzaddik would live for ever.

Offline sammyp

• View Profile
« Reply #208 on: May 04, 2020, 10:33:04 PM »
that's just not true, virtually every pirush on those reads that as u get credit in the next world etc., but that mitzvos dont actually protect you from physical world dangers, and indeed those who are extra holy and constantly involved in mitzvos are sometimes taken first. if u were right every tzaddik would live for ever.

Really?!? I don't know of a single peirush that explains it that way. See מעשה רב אות רכא ובמשנה ברורה רל"ט שעה"צ ס"ק י"ז for starters. At least that is how we go l'halacha.

Online EliJelly

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: May 04, 2020, 10:37:45 PM »
Really?!? I don't know of a single peirush that explains it that way. See מעשה רב אות רכא ובמשנה ברורה רל"ט שעה"צ ס"ק י"ז for starters. At least that is how we go l'halacha.
Multiple clear gemaras is a better source to go. שלוחי מצוה אינם ניזקין is for physical danger, but still the gemara says היכי דשכיח היזיקא שאני, so not a useful מכריע in this debate.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 10:44:34 PM by EliJelly »

Online S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #210 on: May 04, 2020, 10:49:31 PM »
You are a troll. You keep on misquoting me out of context. You should apply for a job at CNN
I legitimately have no idea what your problem is, but you really need help. רפואה שלימה
Yeah, my bad, you guys blew my cover. I’m trolling you completely, this virus is a walk in the park. Enjoy.

Adios!
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline sammyp

• View Profile
« Reply #211 on: May 04, 2020, 11:24:06 PM »
Multiple clear gemaras is a better source to go. שלוחי מצוה אינם ניזקין is for physical danger, but still the gemara says היכי דשכיח היזיקא שאני, so not a useful מכריע in this debate.

You are correct. I was just trying to show that practically the poskim bring it l'maaseh. True היכי דשכיח היזיקא שאני, the question is if we are now in that situation especially when proper protocol is kept. Even a few weeks ago when the situation was a lot worse, one of the great Gedolim here in America gave a talk (in Yiddish) in which he said that based on his research, the chance of harm goes up about .1% when davening in a shul. He paskened that is not called  שכיח היזיקא. And that is even davening inside a shul.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Topic split and moved.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline yelped

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: May 04, 2020, 11:54:20 PM »
You are correct. I was just trying to show that practically the poskim bring it l'maaseh. True היכי דשכיח היזיקא שאני, the question is if we are now in that situation especially when proper protocol is kept. Even a few weeks ago when the situation was a lot worse, one of the great Gedolim here in America gave a talk (in Yiddish) in which he said that based on his research, the chance of harm goes up about .1% when davening in a shul. He paskened that is not called  שכיח היזיקא. And that is even davening inside a shul.
.1%? Lol.

I think we spoke about slightly mixed up math in this thread already.

Offline yitzgar

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
Topic split and moved.
Thanks. Now I can go back that thread again

Online aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
Okay,so how many deaths are there in NYC compared to a typical April and May?
Why am I not shocked that this was ignored.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline reed

• View Profile
« Reply #216 on: May 05, 2020, 12:29:21 AM »

Please stop with the hearsay it’s too dangerous here to just varf some hock. Please provide sources, names and backup material. Would love to see the research that was done to come to such a conclusive decision.

Anyway, my friend, while I do enjoy arguing with you on these forums (as eye-opening and frighting as it has been). DDF will not change the psak of the Rabbanim. I invite you to call up Rabbi Brown, Rabbi Bender, Rabbi Perr, Rabbi Finer and let them know of all the knowledge you profess to have. (Chas veshalom I would never suggest you call the the YU or YI rabbis - May catch the apikurses through the phone).

Who knows? Maybe you will convince them that you are better informed than Rabbi-Dr Glatt and Dr Bergman and we will all be back in Shuls coughing on each other’s chulent this Shabbos.

Offline Lurker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
Finding this thread here is like coming back from having your house tented and discovering they missed the garage.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline ari3

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
Help!

Not another minyan thread.

Offline Iz

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: May 05, 2020, 03:55:55 AM »
Which gadol? Feel free to PM, if you don't want to post the name.