Topic Wiki

The substantial substance of your sustained subsistent substance has subdued me into subversion.

« Last edited by Iz on May 05, 2020, 11:24:47 AM »

Author Topic: 5 Towns/Rockaway Rabbonim Ban All Minyanim Due To COVID-19 (Split Topic)  (Read 88502 times)

Offline sammyp

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Do you have real facts or only opinion pieces?

Why don't you actually take the time to read and watch the links. There are real doctors speaking and writing there.

I guess that would be too much to expect from you.

Offline reed

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
I did have very close family members and friends who died, some who barely made it, and I also had Corona myself. I also spent weeks helping to save the lives of family members who barely made it. I do not think it's a joke at all. I do think some of the extra precautions are useless and counterproductive though.

I also believe most people who will get it, already got it. In my family and many others, some got it and some did not. We did not quarantine within the house. We shared bathrooms, ate meals together, and lived in the house normally. Still, some people did not get it, and the doctors they are seeing this with many families.

There is no reason to create panic and fear. Let people out in a safe and legal manner and we'll all be better off. Start by davening with a minyan.

A fellow was stuck on his rooftop in a flood. He was praying to God for help.
Soon a man in a rowboat came by and shouted to the man on the roof: “Jump in. I can save you.”
The stranded fellow shouted back: “No, it’s okay. I’m praying to God, and he is going to save me.”
So the rowboat went on.
Then a motorboat came by, and the person in the motorboat shouted: “Jump in. I can save you.”
To this, the stranded man said: “No thanks. I’m praying to God, and he is going to save me. I have faith.”
So the motorboat went on.
Then a helicopter came by, and the pilot shouted down: “Grab this rope, and I will lift you to safety.”
To this, the stranded man again replied: “No thanks. I’m praying to God, and he is going to save me. I have faith.”

So the helicopter pilot reluctantly flew away.
Soon the water rose above the rooftop, and the man drowned. When he arrived in heaven and finally got his chance to discuss this whole situation with God, he exclaimed: “I had faith in you, but you didn’t save me. You let me drown. I don’t understand why!”
To this, God replied: “I sent you a rowboat and a motorboat and a helicopter. What the hell more did you want from me?!”

Offline EliJelly

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
Lucky 5 Towners, the one person who challenges the "no manyanim whatsoever" approach, keeps on arguing this is just the flu and SD is not proven beneficial.

Offline reed

• View Profile
Lucky 5 Towners, the one person who challenges the "no manyanim whatsoever" approach, keeps on arguing this is just the flu and SD is not proven beneficial.

Please be sure to know that he does not represent our community - the rest of us believe in science not conspiracy theories.

Offline EliJelly

• View Profile
Please be sure to know that he does not represent our community - the rest of us believe in science not conspiracy theories.
You missed my point

Offline sammyp

• View Profile

True. Your community is the Young Israel community. Our community is the rest of Five Towns. Most of who do not follow your shuls dictatorship and listen to our own Rabbis. Our community has a different set of standards. We daven with a minyan, we don't talk in shul, our women cover their hair and dress tznius.

Different communities entirely.

Offline sammyp

• View Profile

Do you have trouble reading?!? Your side just keeps on misquoting others, and have one Rabbi and on doctor who you keep on quoting. In addition, most of these people speed about 3 minutes a morning davening and are quote happy not going to shul.

There was a post here by an Infectious disease doctor which you and your friends ignore because it doesn't really fit with your agenda well.

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
True. Your community is the Young Israel community. Our community is the rest of Five Towns. Most of who do not follow your shuls dictatorship and listen to our own Rabbis. Our community has a different set of standards. We daven with a minyan, we don't talk in shul, our women cover their hair and dress tznius.

Rabbi Jaeger is YI?

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
Why don't you actually take the time to read and watch the links. There are real doctors speaking and writing there.

I guess that would be too much to expect from you.

Proving a point does not mean making an appeal to authority and expecting someone else to sift through to find the bits of fact buried in an opinion piece. Someone being a doctor does make it less of an opinion. Do you have FACTS?
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline JMHO

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile

Wow, this is this how you talk about other Jews who you don't feel are as frum as you? You do not represent any Jew in the 5 Town/Rockaway. Go away.

Offline EliJelly

• View Profile
Do you have trouble reading?!? Your side just keeps on misquoting others, and have one Rabbi and on doctor who you keep on quoting. In addition, most of these people speed about 3 minutes a morning davening and are quote happy not going to shul.

There was a post here by an Infectious disease doctor which you and your friends ignore because it doesn't really fit with your agenda well.
;D That was funny..

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
Honestly, @sammyp if you would be writing like a mentch (including with passion) I would think that you are simply yearning to fulfill mitzvos in the best way. Once I started seeing how every single point that anyone makes leads to you making personal attacks on everyone who disagrees with you it makes me say that the more you argue for mitzvos in such a manner the bigger chillul hashem you are making. This is the quintisential oy shelomdoi torah chas vsholom. Is the the way Hashem wants you to promote his tfilos? Are mitzvos which come from this what hashem is looking for?
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Honestly, @sammyp if you would be writing like a mentch (including with passion) I would think that you are simply yearning to fulfill mitzvos in the best way. Once I started seeing how every single point that anyone makes leads to you making personal attacks on everyone who disagrees with you it makes me say that the more you argue for mitzvos in such a manner the bigger chillul hashem you are making. This is the quintisential oy shelomdoi torah chas vsholom. Is the the way Hashem wants you to promote his tfilos? Are mitzvos which come from this what hashem is looking for?
+1. Please take a breather, come back in 3 days, and post more respectfully.
If you can't, please don't come back.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline yelped

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
+1. Please take a breather, come back in 3 days, and post more respectfully.
If you can't, please don't come back.
I was surprised it lasted this long. Others have been banner for far less.

Offline S209

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum

This is absolutely disgusting, and goes a long way towards explaining your other posts. This is the side that advocates for more Yiddishkeit?
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
I was surprised it lasted this long. Others have been banner for far less.
I've been avoiding this thread.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline ushdadude

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile

Did he explain why not?
he did not. he just said not yet

Offline NTorch

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 68
    • View Profile
I've been avoiding this thread.

Me too. And as someone who grew up on Long Island and has lived here for 45+ years, I feel like I need to say something.

This back and forth bitterness about who represents the 5 Towns is representative of nothing other than pirud at a time that we should thinking about ahavas yisrael. The passion about wanting to return to shul is fantastic and shows that people genuinely want to daven with a minyan. But while machlokes l'shem shamayim is good under certain circumstances, this has a devolved into personal attacks during the specific days that the Talmidei R'Akiva died because of not showing kavod one towards the other.

R' Lau has a story in his book about meeting the Pope and telling him a vort from R' Meir Shapira about the animals in the ark. When the animals were in the ark they did not eat each other. But when they left what happened? When we are in a situation where we all need to work together we can make a great Kiddush Hashem. But now as we are preparing to leave the ark we are seeing pirud which destroys the goodwill and Kiddush Hashem built up over the last six weeks.

So here's my two cents as a native Long Islander who lives "just outside" the 5 Towns. Treat this like a Beis Shammai - Beis Hillel. Everyone has their Rav who paskens for them. If you follow one school of thought that the minyanim can open on the block then go daven if the layout of your street allows. If your Rav feels it is not yet time, then know in your heart that you are following your Rav and that minyan will be there for you in a short while. But each group accepted the other and married into each other and did not call the other's taharos - tamei.

But please, the personal attacks need to stop, especially on this day (32nd of the Omer). I saw in the Minchas Asher that the reason the deaths of the talmidei R' Akiva in the mageifa (irony?) ended on the 33rd was because they decided on the 32nd to stop the fighting. If we can stop this now, who knows how soon we can all begin to daven together again.

Offline stooges44

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 269
    • View Profile
Me too. And as someone who grew up on Long Island and has lived here for 45+ years, I feel like I need to say something.

This back and forth bitterness about who represents the 5 Towns is representative of nothing other than pirud at a time that we should thinking about ahavas yisrael. The passion about wanting to return to shul is fantastic and shows that people genuinely want to daven with a minyan. But while machlokes l'shem shamayim is good under certain circumstances, this has a devolved into personal attacks during the specific days that the Talmidei R'Akiva died because of not showing kavod one towards the other.

R' Lau has a story in his book about meeting the Pope and telling him a vort from R' Meir Shapira about the animals in the ark. When the animals were in the ark they did not eat each other. But when they left what happened? When we are in a situation where we all need to work together we can make a great Kiddush Hashem. But now as we are preparing to leave the ark we are seeing pirud which destroys the goodwill and Kiddush Hashem built up over the last six weeks.

So here's my two cents as a native Long Islander who lives "just outside" the 5 Towns. Treat this like a Beis Shammai - Beis Hillel. Everyone has their Rav who paskens for them. If you follow one school of thought that the minyanim can open on the block then go daven if the layout of your street allows. If your Rav feels it is not yet time, then know in your heart that you are following your Rav and that minyan will be there for you in a short while. But each group accepted the other and married into each other and did not call the other's taharos - tamei.

But please, the personal attacks need to stop, especially on this day (32nd of the Omer). I saw in the Minchas Asher that the reason the deaths of the talmidei R' Akiva in the mageifa (irony?) ended on the 33rd was because they decided on the 32nd to stop the fighting. If we can stop this now, who knows how soon we can all begin to daven together again.

Thank you @NTorch

I do live in the 5 Towns and this thread has sunk to dismal depths, the fact that people keep posting (the same people) is so silly and even more so, sad.
If it's not free shipping it's not worth it.

Offline joeb1

• View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, CPA, Travel Agent
Time to close this thread