Topic Wiki

The substantial substance of your sustained subsistent substance has subdued me into subversion.

« Last edited by Iz on May 05, 2020, 11:24:47 AM »

Author Topic: 5 Towns/Rockaway Rabbonim Ban All Minyanim Due To COVID-19 (Split Topic)  (Read 86741 times)

Offline Sam Finkelstein

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Leave the Rabbanim out of it for a minute. I think the letter is more about pointing out that people have all of a sudden become "frum" by being anti-minyan. (Yes, anti-minyan more than pro-health, it seems, unfortunately.)
Formula for success: rise early, work hard, strike oil. –J. Paul Getty

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
Leave the Rabbanim out of it for a minute. I think the letter is more about pointing out that people have all of a sudden become "frum" by being anti-minyan. (Yes, anti-minyan more than pro-health, it seems, unfortunately.)
The same way some have become rebellious by being pro minyan.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline S209

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
Speak for yourself. If someone is pointing out the hypocrisy of some people who act self righteous by talking down to minyan goers but then go to the beach, by all means. But don’t drag the Rabbanim into your indignant rage. A Rav who wouldn’t daven with a minyan but would go to the beach, yes. I hope that doesn’t exist. So why blame the Rabbanim?
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline S209

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
That’s not what the letter asked, though. It asked why Rabbanim don’t condemn them like they assured minyanim. What??
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline Sam Finkelstein

• View Profile
The same way some have become rebellious by being pro minyan.
I wouldn't necessarily characterize it like that. I feel they are acting more out of (very misplaced) religious conviction (and feel-goodism) than the other camp.

Offline Sam Finkelstein

• View Profile
That’s not what the letter asked, though. It asked why Rabbanim don’t condemn them like they assured minyanim. What??
Speak for yourself. If someone is pointing out the hypocrisy of some people who act self righteous by talking down to minyan goers but then go to the beach, by all means. But don’t drag the Rabbanim into your indignant rage. A Rav who wouldn’t daven with a minyan but would go to the beach, yes. I hope that doesn’t exist. So why blame the Rabbanim?

Your point is valid. I was just trying to validate his view before invloving the Rabbanim.

Offline Afrages6

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
Cuomo said something about Memorial Day gatherings of up to 10 people. Was he also referring to minyanim?
I just want to say this and I hope all can agree with me here. I don’t care about Memorial Day ceremonies in regards to them happening or not. But the fact that Cuomo is allowing ten person ceremonies but won’t allow ten people to daven together is a blatant act of religious discrimination and unconstitutional. We pay organizations a lot of money to advocate for us, where are they?

There are lots of rabbonim who would allow them if legal and certainly there are others who don’t allow them - Everyone should follow their own rov. But where is the Agudah who takes millions of dollars to be our advocacy group? Why is everybody so busy with fancy weddings when our rights are being trampled on. I can’t say that I’ve never missed a minyan in my life and I can’t say that I won’t in the future. But it’s upsetting to me that we are allowing Cuomo to trample all over us without saying so much as a world.

Offline mochjas

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 123
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, AA EX PLAT, Jetblue Mosaic, Qatar Gold, United Silver
I just want to say this and I hope all can agree with me here. I don’t care about Memorial Day ceremonies in regards to them happening or not. But the fact that Cuomo is allowing ten person ceremonies but won’t allow ten people to daven together is a blatant act of religious discrimination and unconstitutional. We pay organizations a lot of money to advocate for us, where are they?

There are lots of rabbonim who would allow them if legal and certainly there are others who don’t allow them - Everyone should follow their own rov. But where is the Agudah who takes millions of dollars to be our advocacy group? Why is everybody so busy with fancy weddings when our rights are being trampled on. I can’t say that I’ve never missed a minyan in my life and I can’t say that I won’t in the future. But it’s upsetting to me that we are allowing Cuomo to trample all over us without saying so much as a world.
who said cuomo won’t allow 10 people to daven together?

Offline Afrages6

• View Profile
who said cuomo won’t allow 10 people to daven together?
Cuomo

Offline mochjas

• View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, AA EX PLAT, Jetblue Mosaic, Qatar Gold, United Silver
Cuomo
when? He said on Sunday that they are putting together regulations for Shuls to be open on Shavuot

Offline sammyp

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile

I am no Agudist, but I happen to know they are quite busy in Albany working on getting our institutions open. There happen to be, l'havdil, other religious leaders working on this to.

I'm sure it doesn't help though when another Jewish advocacy group is lobbies to stay closed though.

At least starting Monday we can daven at the beach. I hope they have lights there for Shavuos night too!

Offline Afrages6

• View Profile
when? He said on Sunday that they are putting together regulations for Shuls to be open on Shavuot
He did not say that. He was referring very clearly to upstate and said it was a possibility. Any gathering of any kind in NYS is currently illegal. Besides for Memorial Day ceremonies of course.

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
I wouldn't necessarily characterize it like that. I feel they are acting more out of (very misplaced) religious conviction (and feel-goodism) than the other camp.
Someone who comes to an unsanctioned minyan and smokes until halfway through birchos  krias sham and then whips them off to leave and schmooze down the block right after kedusha...
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline mochjas

• View Profile
He did not say that. He was referring very clearly to upstate and said it was a possibility. Any gathering of any kind in NYS is currently illegal. Besides for Memorial Day ceremonies of course.
thats simply not true

Offline Afrages6

• View Profile
I am no Agudist, but I happen to know they are quite busy in Albany working on getting our institutions open.
The problem is exactly this. They shouldn’t be working with him, they should be filing a lawsuit and send a message that we shouldn’t have to compromise on our constitutional rights!

Offline Afrages6

• View Profile
thats simply not true
The question was asked about upstate regions which were already “reopened”.

Offline mochjas

• View Profile
The question was asked about upstate regions which were already “reopened”.
ok but they are not making a rule that only Memorial Day gatherings are allowed and nothing else is. It might start on Memorial Day but from then on out all similar gatherings with similar guidelines will be allowed

Offline Afrages6

• View Profile
ok but they are not making a rule that only Memorial Day gatherings are allowed and nothing else is. It might start on Memorial Day but from then on out all similar gatherings with similar guidelines will be allowed
He said today specifically that Memorial Day gatherings are allowed with ten people. But nothing else.

Offline mochjas

• View Profile
He said today specifically that Memorial Day gatherings are allowed with ten people. But nothing else.
yes but that was the topic at hand. He didn’t say all other gatherings are not allowed with 10 people or less.

Offline Sam Finkelstein

• View Profile
Someone who comes to an unsanctioned minyan and smokes until halfway through birchos  krias sham and then whips them off to leave and schmooze down the block right after kedusha...

Not everyone who attends a minyan is pro-minyan.
Not everyone who doesn’t attend a minyan is anti-minyan.