Topic Wiki

The substantial substance of your sustained subsistent substance has subdued me into subversion.

« Last edited by Iz on May 05, 2020, 11:24:47 AM »

Author Topic: 5 Towns/Rockaway Rabbonim Ban All Minyanim Due To COVID-19 (Split Topic)  (Read 86827 times)

Offline sammyp

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
please name 1 yeshiva in NY or NJ that is legally open....
I will let you do your own homework. I'll give you a little help though. Patterson has been open since right after Pesach. They actually never closed. Safely and legally. The rest you can find out. I'm not here to give names and open cans of worms.

Offline mochjas

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 123
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, AA EX PLAT, Jetblue Mosaic, Qatar Gold, United Silver
I will let you do your own homework. I'll give you a little help though. Patterson has been open since right after Pesach. They actually never closed. Safely and legally. The rest you can find out. I'm not here to give names and open cans of worms.
how can it be legal if the state governments ordered all schools must close?

Offline JMHO

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
Not legal...

Offline mochjas

• View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, AA EX PLAT, Jetblue Mosaic, Qatar Gold, United Silver
Not legal...
exactly. That’s the only reason I asked for names. He said it’s legal. If it’s legal they should have no issues being named publicly. And it won’t open any cans of worms...

Offline ari3

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
exactly. That’s the only reason I asked for names. He said it’s legal. If it’s legal they should have no issues being named publicly. And it won’t open any cans of worms...
There is legal as in Gov Murphy signing an executive order that bicycle shops can open and there is legal as in getting govt and law enforcement to agree to tolerate something but the minute there is pushback it's over (see chasunos in Lakewood after pesach)

Offline sammyp

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
Not legal...

You don't know what you're talking about. It is legal and there are loophioles. That is also why when the reporter called the police on the school in KJ this weekend, the cops did nothing. Because there are loopholes.

The law is not just the few snippets you see posted on CNN. Its more complicated. Patterson is a dorm Yeshiva and is legally opened since Pesach. Now many shuls are also legally open. Go to Brooklyn and check it out.

Offline JMHO

• View Profile
So if it's legal, please share the names.

(Hint: it's not legal)

Offline Jellybelly

• View Profile
So if it's legal, please share the names.

(Hint: it's not legal)
There are many reasons not to name names....

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
You don't know what you're talking about. It is legal and there are loophioles. That is also why when the reporter called the police on the school in KJ this weekend, the cops did nothing. Because there are loopholes.

The law is not just the few snippets you see posted on CNN. Its more complicated. Patterson is a dorm Yeshiva and is legally opened since Pesach. Now many shuls are also legally open. Go to Brooklyn and check it out.
Re KJ it was not legal and the YEN headline was fake news. Just because you say it is legal doesn't mean that it is true. It is not like you have a reputation for accuracy here.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline ushdadude

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
who said cuomo won’t allow 10 people to daven together?

Rabbi Dr Glatt

Offline mochjas

• View Profile
Rabbi Dr Glatt
go watch the Cuomo press conference from yesterday. It’s on his twitter feed. Don’t rely on others to tell you what he said

Offline ushdadude

• View Profile
I wouldn't necessarily characterize it like that. I feel they are acting more out of (very misplaced) religious conviction (and feel-goodism) than the other camp.
i don't understand this. can you please clarify?

Draw your own conclusions, but I note that the people pushing for minyanim by-and-large represent groups that take their religion very seriously.
i meant quite literally, i don't understand. there are a lot of pronouns. i  don't know who you are referring to

Offline mochjas

• View Profile
Re KJ it was not legal and the YEN headline was fake news. Just because you say it is legal doesn't mean that it is true. It is not like you have a reputation for accuracy here.
They can’t be legal. The government clearly said all schools must be shut. I don’t know where he gets his info from. There’s a reason it’s not being publicized. There is no reason to hide something legal

Offline Sam Finkelstein

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
i meant quite literally, i don't understand. there are a lot of pronouns. i  don't know who you are referring to

I really didn't want to generalize here, but the more Yeshivish crowd is generally pro-minyan, and the Modox are typically anti.
Formula for success: rise early, work hard, strike oil. –J. Paul Getty

Online S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
I think he’s suggesting that people in the pro-minyan “camp” are more likely to actually be doing it leshem Shamayim than people in the anti-minyan “camp”

Disclaimer: I don’t necessarily agree with him, and he doesn’t necessarily agree that they’re right.
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline ushdadude

• View Profile
go watch the Cuomo press conference from yesterday. It’s on his twitter feed. Don’t rely on others to tell you what he said
Dr glatt claimed lawn minyanim are illegal (they never were because they aren't gatherings)

Offline Sam Finkelstein

• View Profile
They can’t be legal. The government clearly said all schools must be shut. I don’t know where he gets his info from. There’s a reason it’s not being publicized. There is no reason to hide something legal
It's possible they made special arrangements to not have it enforced. The same way it's technically illegal to walk with ice cream in your pocket on Sundays, which is also unenforced.
(And no, I'm not saying the two are similar.)

Online S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
I really didn't want to generalize here, but the more Yeshivish crowd is generally pro-minyan, and the Modox are typically anti.
Good, because although I don’t know him personally, there is a good chance that @aygart and I are more yeshivish than our dear friend @sammyp.

Agreed that overall your observation holds true.
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline EliJelly

• View Profile
It's possible they made special arrangements to not have it enforced. The same way it's technically illegal to walk with ice cream in your pocket on Sundays, which is also unenforced.
(And no, I'm not saying the two are similar.)
Oh finally someone is getting it.

Offline Sam Finkelstein

• View Profile
Good, because although I don’t know him personally, there is a good chance that @aygart and I are more yeshivish than our dear friend @sammyp.

Agreed that overall your observation holds true.

I'm wondering if that would change if you would live in the 5T where this is actually going on.