Topic Wiki

The substantial substance of your sustained subsistent substance has subdued me into subversion.

« Last edited by Iz on May 05, 2020, 11:24:47 AM »

Author Topic: 5 Towns/Rockaway Rabbonim Ban All Minyanim Due To COVID-19 (Split Topic)  (Read 86777 times)

Offline S209

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
It's possible they made special arrangements to not have it enforced. The same way it's technically illegal to walk with ice cream in your pocket on Sundays, which is also unenforced.
(And no, I'm not saying the two are similar.)
OK I needed to google that :)

https://www.silive.com/news/2017/05/strangest_laws_in_new_york_sta.html
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline EliJelly

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
I'm wondering if that would change if you would live in the 5T where this is actually going on.
So true..

Offline Sam Finkelstein

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Formula for success: rise early, work hard, strike oil. –J. Paul Getty

Offline sammyp

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
Re KJ it was not legal and the YEN headline was fake news. Just because you say it is legal doesn't mean that it is true. It is not like you have a reputation for accuracy here.
Just because you don't like what someone says does not affect the accuracy of the information.

I do not even know what YEN is. But if you listened to the antisemitic reporter's report, she said the police could not do anything because there was nothing illegal there.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
I'm wondering if that would change if you would live in the 5T where this is actually going on.
We would become less yeshivish, or him more?

Offline Sam Finkelstein

• View Profile
I do not even know what YEN is.

I think he meant YWN.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
Just because you don't like what someone says does not affect the accuracy of the information.

I do not even know what YEN is. But if you listened to the antisemitic reporter's report, she said the police could not do anything because there was nothing illegal there.
They didn’t agree that school could be open. They said it wasn’t school.

Offline sammyp

• View Profile
Good, because although I don’t know him personally, there is a good chance that @aygart and I are more yeshivish than our dear friend @sammyp.

Agreed that overall your observation holds true.

To me, if I would have to guess, you sound like someone who went through the Yeshiva system and failed that system. From your tone it sounds like you resent that world.

Online ushdadude

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
We would become less yeshivish, or him more?
rashi in parshas noach has 2 pshatim

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
rashi in parshas noach has 2 pshatim
I’m confused. You are saying yeshivish is relative? That doesn’t make much sense, considering I was comparing one person to another directly.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
To me, if I would have to guess, you sound like someone who went through the Yeshiva system and failed that system. From your tone it sounds like you resent that world.
You sound like a truly lovely person. I’m sorry for offending you by saying it’s possible there are more yeshivish people out there than you. I’ll try to refrain from such ad hominem attacks in the future.

Perhaps I’ll be banned..

Offline sammyp

• View Profile
They didn’t agree that school could be open. They said it wasn’t school.

Now you got it! It was listed as some type of daycare, which is legal. It's called a loophole, probably by the advice of their local officials.

Many places that are open are using different loopholes by the advice of local officials.

The Governor has given a lot of power to local officials to translate and enforce the laws as they see fit. For example, in many areas they are allowing Kolelim to open. No davening, no shiurim, and no meals. So it's not a gathering. Just a bunch of groups of two.

Yes, this is a fact. Albany is allowing kolelim if local officials are ok with it.

Offline sammyp

• View Profile
You sound like a truly lovely person. I’m sorry for offending you by saying it’s possible there are more yeshivish people out there than you. I’ll try to refrain from such ad hominem attacks in the future.

Perhaps I’ll be banned..

Only if you report yourself....

The pro-minayn crowd is not into mesirah.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
Now you got it! It was listed as some type of daycare, which is legal. It's called a loophole, probably by the advise of their local officials.

Many places that are open are using different loopholes by the advice of local officials.

The Governor has given a lot of power to local officials to translate and enforce the laws as they see fit. For example, in many areas they are allowing Kolelim to open. No davening, no shiurim, and no meals. So it's not a gathering. Just a bunch of groups of two.

Yes, this is a fact. Albany is allowing kolelim if local officials are ok with it.
No, they said the only thing going on in there was some tutoring, and it was a small fraction of the regular students.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
Only if you report yourself....

The pro-minayn crowd is not into mesirah.
Calling reporting a post to the mods mesirah says something about the straightness of your logic

Offline Sam Finkelstein

• View Profile
Calling reporting a post to the mods mesirah says something about the straightness of your logic

I don't think that part was supposed to be taken seriously.

Offline sammyp

• View Profile
No, they said the only thing going on in there was some tutoring, and it was a small fraction of the regular students.

At least get the story straight!

From News12: "They say loopholes in the executive order make it difficult to enforce if a school claims they're open for child care, which is allowed during the pandemic."

http://westchester.news12.com/story/42149135/kiryas-joel-school-appears-to-be-open-despite-statewide-order

Offline sammyp

• View Profile

From News12: "They say loopholes in the executive order make it difficult to enforce if a school claims they're open for child care, which is allowed during the pandemic."

http://westchester.news12.com/story/42149135/kiryas-joel-school-appears-to-be-open-despite-statewide-order

From NYP: "Arriving state police officers told the channel that the school was allowed to remain open because a loophole in the executive order relating to virus closures lets places that provide childcare services operate, according to the report.
https://nypost.com/2020/05/19/loophole-bars-ny-cops-from-probing-an-open-yeshiva-report/

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy

A man outside the school, who identified himself as a parent, said it's open for tutoring and for children to collect their things.

Based on that, that it’s only open for tutoring, there are loopholes as far as child care.

Please be honest. It’s relatively straightforward.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
I don't think that part was supposed to be taken seriously.
How about the insinuation that the anti-minyan crowd is into mesirah? Or the part about me having failed the system and resenting the world? Should those be taken seriously, or should I write them off as the arrogant ranting of someone who is (at least acting) clueless and illogical?

Yeah, that’s my point.