Poll

Do you know someone who has had Coronavirus after Pesach (NEW case)?

Don't know
I know in Tri-State area
I know other location in us
I know out of the US

Author Topic: Do you know someone who has had Coronavirus after Pesach?  (Read 79507 times)

Online ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
Re: Do you know someone who has had Coronavirus after Pesach?
« Reply #320 on: July 02, 2020, 11:28:27 AM »
Then you can let the Israeli Ministry of Health know that you have a person of unknown infectious status who has yet to infect people with antibodies if that’s what you mean by the all clear.

I honestly don't know what you're trying to say here.

Your inviting Floridians to stay at your house belies your entire underlying attitude about how herd immunity is what will keep the community safe. What’s your excuse for allowing people from a highly infectious place to stay in the community? Are you positive they don’t have COVID? Herd immunity will not protect at least *some* people from contracting COVID if you introduce a new infectious case.

You are making way too many assumptions recently. I honestly think that COVID-19 is having a bad effect on you. Maybe a vacation might help.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #321 on: July 02, 2020, 11:31:45 AM »
The surgical mask is probably one of the easiest to wear. What was the issue?
Other than one old one I had at home (obtained last year for bad allergy days for my son) that actually fit without feeling that my ears are about to be cut off, and seems semi-breathable, all the newer ones (mostly of Chinese origin) are too small/tight and not very breathable.
-- Dan

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #322 on: July 02, 2020, 11:35:33 AM »
Or find a new career, or come up with some other solution.

Every time we have these discussions where people say "wear a mask, it's not a big deal" it makes me think there isn't actually any science to back it up (as I've heard there are many infectious disease doctors who believe they don't help), it just makes people feel good because they feel they're "doing something".

Not sure if there's any science about it being "not a big deal" but I think it's pretty obvious that it could protect others, and possibly the wearer too. That being said, I'm not sure how much of an additional benefit they provide once social distancing is kept.
-- Dan

Online Kobe Bryant

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: July 02, 2020, 11:41:55 AM »
Did I? In any event, the Israeli ministry of health (supposedly relying on the CDC and/or WHO) claim that it is unknown if antibodies provide any immunity.

See: https://www.health.gov.il/Subjects/disease/corona/Documents/bz-259782620.pdf
Then you can let the Israeli Ministry of Health know that you have a person with antibodies ,of unknown infectious status, who has yet to infect people.if that’s what you mean by the all clear.

@S209  FTFY?

Offline gozalim

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: July 02, 2020, 11:45:05 AM »
once social distancing is kept.
a big assumption in our communities...

I've been called "the only guy in ch still wearing one" (or heckled, as discussed) for wearing in crowded indoor settings

Have you seen 770 lately? A wedding? A grocery store?

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #325 on: July 02, 2020, 11:55:48 AM »
a big assumption in our communities...

I've been called "the only guy in ch still wearing one" (or heckled, as discussed) for wearing in crowded indoor settings

Have you seen 770 lately? A wedding? A grocery store?

Are you joking? With my profile picture is it even a question whether I have been to 770 lately?

Not sure if you're trying to refute the claim that it is debatable as to how much additional protection is offered by a mask when social distancing is adhered to.
-- Dan

Offline S209

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #326 on: July 02, 2020, 12:09:46 PM »

You are making way too many assumptions recently. I honestly think that COVID-19 is having a bad effect on you. Maybe a vacation might help.
You wanted to sound the all clear based on your experience. I am saying you should go ahead and let that lone Israeli minister in on the memo that your antibodies protected you (from a person of unknown infectivity).

What assumptions did I make? I *asked* but did not *assume* whether you are confident the guests do not have COVID. If you’re sure, than clearly you have no proof of antibodies offering protection (which you inferred). If you’re not sure, then it was dangerous and wrong to host people from a virus hotspot and potentially introduce new infectious people into CH (against the clear advice of the *local* medical establishment).
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline gozalim

• View Profile
« Reply #327 on: July 02, 2020, 12:10:22 PM »
 My point is that
when social distancing is adhered to.
is an irrelevant hypothetical.

Let's talk about the benefits they bring in the real world situations we live in.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #328 on: July 02, 2020, 12:15:42 PM »
You're not following the conversation, he said "anyone who's being intelectually honest..." to which I said speak for yourself. His response was "I'm speaking for myself".

As far as your claim that it's a tiny step, I can scream until I'm blue in the face but you don't seem to care (and then claim you're the only one being intellectually honest) so I won't continue. I've heard the same from many other people. I sure am happy I don't work in a field that requires all day mask wearing, because I'm not sure what I would do.

I see you believe government overreach is impossible, because any time there is government overreach people are only upset because they're selfish.
I’m not denying you think masks are an imposition, I’m saying you didn’t try hard enough. I don’t believe you’re being intellectually honest. For some reason people who have been more serious about COVID have had no issues with masks (once they got used to it) but people who have been in denial all along can’t breathe. See the pattern?

Do you honestly think that all doctors and nurses prepared to go into that field by making sure they’re ok with wearing masks? Or do you think doctors and nurses have changed careers because they have to wear masks now? Come now, that’s the definition of intellectually dishonest. Ask a doctor just how hard they find it once they’re used to it.

Everyone who works in a hospital wears a mask all day. They’re all doing just fine and don’t need to take it off every few minutes to breathe. Don’t forget many of them are wearing far more restrictive masks than you are.

Offline avromie7

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: July 02, 2020, 12:17:43 PM »
I’m not denying you think masks are an imposition, I’m saying you didn’t try hard enough. I don’t believe you’re being intellectually honest. For some reason people who have been more serious about COVID have had no issues with masks (once they got used to it) but people who have been in denial all along can’t breathe. See the pattern?

Do you honestly think that all doctors and nurses prepared to go into that field by making sure they’re ok with wearing masks? Or do you think doctors and nurses have changed careers because they have to wear masks now? Come now, that’s the definition of intellectually dishonest. Ask a doctor just how hard they find it once they’re used to it.

Everyone who works in a hospital wears a mask all day. They’re all doing just fine and don’t need to take it off every few minutes to breathe. Don’t forget many of them are wearing far more restrictive masks than you are.
You're not following the conversation, he said "anyone who's being intelectually honest..." to which I said speak for yourself. His response was "I'm speaking for myself".

As far as your claim that it's a tiny step, I can scream until I'm blue in the face but you don't seem to care (and then claim you're the only one being intellectually honest) so I won't continue. I've heard the same from many other people. I sure am happy I don't work in a field that requires all day mask wearing, because I'm not sure what I would do.

I see you believe government overreach is impossible, because any time there is government overreach people are only upset because they're selfish.
I can't argue with denial of reality.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #330 on: July 02, 2020, 12:18:38 PM »
Thank you, that would have been a more concise way for me to put it.

As I said, I do believe you think that way.

ETA: Where did you see I don’t believe overreach *could* happen? I’m saying you lose ne’emanus when you’re consistent with your approach even to a point where overreach *isn’t* an issue. I personally *do* believe there has been overreach here. But I don’t think that was your big problem. It was a rationalization.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 12:22:16 PM by S209 »

Offline Lurker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #331 on: July 02, 2020, 12:24:07 PM »
Are you joking? With my profile picture is it even a question whether I have been to 770 lately?

Not sure if you're trying to refute the claim that it is debatable as to how much additional protection is offered by a mask when social distancing is adhered to.

So here's my question for you:

The latest update from The Gedalia Society (https://covid19ch.blogspot.com/2020/06/covid-19-update-34.html?m=1) discussed the recent positive Covid tests in CH from people who were previously infected months before. They give 3 possible explanations for the positive results: a) old, dead virus causing false positives; b) new infection caught from someone else; and c) these are flare ups of the first infection, which never left, just stayed dormant. The assumption of viral shed for both 'b' and 'c' follows the assumptions of any Covid positive, in that you are considered contagious if you're symptomatic, and should be careful for a period after symptoms leave just to be sure.

Given that reinfections are happening in CH, and visitors are coming from all over the world still, and social distancing is not happening anywhere in CH, and your position on the value of masks, how do you justify anyone not wearing a mask in CH?
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline cholent

• View Profile
« Reply #332 on: July 02, 2020, 01:11:00 PM »
The surgical mask is probably one of the easiest to wear. What was the issue?
I wore one for just 1.5 hours and was left with a smashing headache
Don't ask stupid questions and you won't get stupid answers

Offline CountValentine

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #333 on: July 02, 2020, 01:14:02 PM »
Comes from the guy who says masks don't work. You can't make this stuff up.
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline CountValentine

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #334 on: July 02, 2020, 01:14:50 PM »
I wore one for just 1.5 hours and was left with a smashing headache
Do others work better or you just can't wear one?
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline cholent

• View Profile
« Reply #335 on: July 02, 2020, 01:16:11 PM »
Do others work better or you just can't wear one?
I have the same issue with all. And I work in healthcare so it's an issue. At this point I just stay out of patient care areas as much as possible and guard my chin.
Don't ask stupid questions and you won't get stupid answers

Offline biobook

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: July 02, 2020, 02:26:06 PM »
Speak for yourself. When I wear a mask I need to open it up to get a few breaths of air every couple of minutes. Yes, it is an imposition.
I'm going against the crowd here and sticking up for @avromie7 .  He doesn't have to wear a mask.  Yes, 100% of people should wear a mask, but if we got to 97% we'd be good with that. Avromie7 can be in the 3%.

There are various conditions that make mask-wearing almost impossible, such as COPD, asthma, PTSD, severe anxiety, certain allergies, claustrophobia, autism and cerebral palsy, among others.  We don't have to know what particular issue avromie7 has, but he's made it clear that he's an outlier, and that wearing a mask causes him more suffering than the majority of other people.

Here's some advice for those with problems wearing a mask, which includes staying home as much as possible, experimenting at home with wearing a mask to get used to it, trying different mask types, minimize time spent outdoors:

https://creakyjoints.org/living-with-arthritis/coronavirus/managing-symptoms/difficulty-breathing-face-mask-asthma-lung-disease/

And avromie7, if your Rov said you could eat on Yom Kippur because of some medical condition, would you proclaim it from the bima throughout the day?  I didn't think so.  So you personally can't wear a mask, okay, we get it, you'll deal with it.  But it's not necessarily relevant to what's best for the rest of society.

Offline avromie7

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: July 02, 2020, 02:53:18 PM »
I'm going against the crowd here and sticking up for @avromie7 .  He doesn't have to wear a mask.  Yes, 100% of people should wear a mask, but if we got to 97% we'd be good with that. Avromie7 can be in the 3%.

There are various conditions that make mask-wearing almost impossible, such as COPD, asthma, PTSD, severe anxiety, certain allergies, claustrophobia, autism and cerebral palsy, among others.  We don't have to know what particular issue avromie7 has, but he's made it clear that he's an outlier, and that wearing a mask causes him more suffering than the majority of other people.

Here's some advice for those with problems wearing a mask, which includes staying home as much as possible, experimenting at home with wearing a mask to get used to it, trying different mask types, minimize time spent outdoors:

https://creakyjoints.org/living-with-arthritis/coronavirus/managing-symptoms/difficulty-breathing-face-mask-asthma-lung-disease/

And avromie7, if your Rov said you could eat on Yom Kippur because of some medical condition, would you proclaim it from the bima throughout the day?  I didn't think so.  So you personally can't wear a mask, okay, we get it, you'll deal with it.  But it's not necessarily relevant to what's best for the rest of society.
At first my issue was with people saying "it's not a big deal", even now I wear a mask when necessary. After reading this thread I've come to the realization that masks are little more than a way to make people feel like they're "doing something".

As far as why I find it uncomfortable, I don't have any respiratory condition but this quote from the article you posted sounds right:
The physical barrier of the mask makes it harder to take in air; it also traps some carbon dioxide as you exhale, which means you end up breathing in air that is warmer and moister.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline biobook

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: July 02, 2020, 03:00:43 PM »
At first my issue was with people saying "it's not a big deal", even now I wear a mask when necessary. After reading this thread I've come to the realization that masks are little more than a way to make people feel like they're "doing something".
If you came to that realization by reading this thread, then you should read something else!  Try this:

https://www.masktoprotect.org/

Offline yuneeq

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: July 02, 2020, 05:44:37 PM »

As far as why I find it uncomfortable, I don't have any respiratory condition but this quote from the article you posted sounds right:

Have you tried anything other than masks? Bandana, scarf, cloth, etc. You might find it easier, though I haven't tried. Some N95 are really easy to breathe in (and some are quite difficult). You can also use this - it makes breathing really easy: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B087TD169N
Visibly Jewish