Author Topic: An ICU nurses perspective  (Read 4313 times)

Offline yochiek93

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Re: An ICU nurses perspective
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2020, 07:51:20 PM »
So let's start:
1. First off you don't wait for a chest x-ray for tube placement, you listen to the lung sounds and then all that needs to be done to fix it is pull the tube out a bit from the right mainstem, it's ABCs of intubation.
2. There is a rhythm called PEA (pulseless electrical activity). I'm not saying that pt was in it because I was not there but in PEA that person is in cardiac arrest with what looks like a pulse on a heart monitor. Did she check for a pulse?
3. If a pt is intubated it's impossible to fill their lungs with feeding since the intubation tube occludes the full airway. That's the point of an intubation tube.
4. All meds have bar codes you have to scan both the meds and the PT's wrist band, yes mistakes do happen but they are very minimal when it comes to wrong meds unless they were given wrong information from when they were brought into the hospital.
5. If a pt needs a blood transfusion they are losing blood somewhere, how can she say there is no internal bleeding?
6. Plural drainage is drained into a chest tube not an et tube, an et tube (intubation tube) cuff is filled with air not fluid, the only time it's filled with saline is during a flight because changes in air pressure.
7. COVID-19 pneumonia is not bacterial pneumonia so antibiotics won't help otherwise everyone would be on it, it's a viral pneumonia.
8. Do some research most COVID-19 PT's have more trouble breathing at night so yes they try to wean them during the day but many times at night they have to raise the vent settings.
9. Nurses aren't the ones to manage dialysis machines it's the dialysis techs, which are trained in crrt.
10. There is a nurse during every single cardiac arrest that is the narrator their job is to write down everything that went on part of that is the time of death they will not assign a nurse a patient that has been dead for a while that patient would have been brought to the mourgue.
11. Giving bicarb when a patient is acidotic is not the solution it's a quick fix but it actually doesn't help unless you know the reason for the acidosis some more context is needed in order to determine any wrongdoing if there even was any.
12. Central lines while placed often with minimal side effects is still a risk, it's possible there was a mistake however I highly doubt it was done on purpose.
13. This isn't on the medical aspect but she said it's in the hood and she has reached out to black advocacy groups and they ignored her, this is hard to believe, and not something they would ignore.
All in all do research before believing what people tell you.
(I know people are going to say I'm sticking up for the hospital no matter what, however from context of what she said it's not a hospital I work at.)

Offline KSMH

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2020, 07:57:45 PM »
So let's start:
1. First off you don't wait for a chest x-ray for tube placement, you listen to the lung sounds and then all that needs to be done to fix it is pull the tube out a bit from the right mainstem, it's ABCs of intubation.
2. There is a rhythm called PEA (pulseless electrical activity). I'm not saying that pt was in it because I was not there but in PEA that person is in cardiac arrest with what looks like a pulse on a heart monitor. Did she check for a pulse?
3. If a pt is intubated it's impossible to fill their lungs with feeding since the intubation tube occludes the full airway. That's the point of an intubation tube.
4. All meds have bar codes you have to scan both the meds and the PT's wrist band, yes mistakes do happen but they are very minimal when it comes to wrong meds unless they were given wrong information from when they were brought into the hospital.
5. If a pt needs a blood transfusion they are losing blood somewhere, how can she say there is no internal bleeding?
6. Plural drainage is drained into a chest tube not an et tube, an et tube (intubation tube) cuff is filled with air not fluid, the only time it's filled with saline is during a flight because changes in air pressure.
7. COVID-19 pneumonia is not bacterial pneumonia so antibiotics won't help otherwise everyone would be on it, it's a viral pneumonia.
8. Do some research most COVID-19 PT's have more trouble breathing at night so yes they try to wean them during the day but many times at night they have to raise the vent settings.
9. Nurses aren't the ones to manage dialysis machines it's the dialysis techs, which are trained in crrt.
10. There is a nurse during every single cardiac arrest that is the narrator their job is to write down everything that went on part of that is the time of death they will not assign a nurse a patient that has been dead for a while that patient would have been brought to the mourgue.
11. Giving bicarb when a patient is acidotic is not the solution it's a quick fix but it actually doesn't help unless you know the reason for the acidosis some more context is needed in order to determine any wrongdoing if there even was any.
12. Central lines while placed often with minimal side effects is still a risk, it's possible there was a mistake however I highly doubt it was done on purpose.
13. This isn't on the medical aspect but she said it's in the hood and she has reached out to black advocacy groups and they ignored her, this is hard to believe, and not something they would ignore.
All in all do research before believing what people tell you.
(I know people are going to say I'm sticking up for the hospital no matter what, however from context of what she said it's not a hospital I work at.)
My guess is, some hospitals are worse then others. 

Let's leave it at that.
Thanx, so does make sense?
Always praying for delayed baggage.

Offline yochiek93

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2020, 08:30:13 PM »
Thanx, so does make sense?
yes but her stories are riddled with stuff that aren't true so I wouldn't trust what she is saying.