Author Topic: Will the truth come out how NYC & NYS made blunder after blunder?  (Read 52985 times)

Offline stooges44

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 269
    • View Profile
If it's not free shipping it's not worth it.

Offline yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
Re: Will the truth come out how NYC & NYS made blunder after blunder?
« Reply #381 on: August 04, 2020, 03:25:03 PM »
https://abc7ny.com/health/nyc-health-commissioner-resigns-slams-de-blasios-covid-response/6353061/
A whole article that is based on how the health commissioner slammed DeBlasio's response, but it doesn't actually say a single thing that she said. What did she say?

Offline Kobe Bryant

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: August 04, 2020, 09:30:44 PM »
A whole article that is based on how the health commissioner slammed DeBlasio's response, but it doesn't actually say a single thing that she said. What did she say?

She said she didn’t give “two rats’ a--es about your cops.”

O, and she said back in February that New Yorkers were encouraged to go to Chinatown as  “The risk for New Yorkers of the coronavirus is low, and our preparedness as a city is very high. While it is understandable that people feel anxious, that is no way shape or form an excuse for them to use that as an opportunity to spread misinformation, to spread racist ideas because that is currently the greatest risk to New Yorker’s.”

Offline yelped

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: August 04, 2020, 11:00:48 PM »
She said she didn’t give “two rats’ a--es about your cops.”

O, and she said back in February that New Yorkers were encouraged to go to Chinatown as  “The risk for New Yorkers of the coronavirus is low, and our preparedness as a city is very high. While it is understandable that people feel anxious, that is no way shape or form an excuse for them to use that as an opportunity to spread misinformation, to spread racist ideas because that is currently the greatest risk to New Yorker’s.”
Isn't this DeBlasio's position as well? How did she slam DeBlasio's response?

Offline zh cohen

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: August 18, 2020, 12:37:20 AM »
I see Cuomo is still insisting on calling Covid19 the "European virus" because most cases in the US came through Europe. Shouldn't other states then call it the New York virus?

Online CountValentine

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #385 on: August 18, 2020, 08:05:56 AM »
I see Cuomo is still insisting on calling Covid19 the "European virus" because most cases in the US came through Europe. Shouldn't other states then call it the New York virus?
If that is where the main cause came from go right ahead.
The fact is you want to blame Cuomo for deaths but not Trump so your objectivity is close to zero.
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline Lurker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #386 on: August 18, 2020, 08:54:59 AM »
The fact is you want to blame Cuomo for deaths but not Trump so your objectivity is close to zero.

European Virus is cool, Chinese Virus is racist. Got it. Your painting should be titled The Eternal Double Standards of a Woke Mind.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2020, 09:11:58 AM by Lurker »
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #387 on: August 18, 2020, 09:02:00 AM »
European Virus is cool, Chinese Virus is racist. Got it.
Who said European Virus is cool?
Your painting should be titles The Eternal Double Standards of a Woke Mind.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #388 on: August 18, 2020, 09:12:39 AM »
Who said European Virus is cool?

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #389 on: August 18, 2020, 09:42:32 AM »

Very seldom do I accuse you of reading comprehension but:
Shouldn't other states then call it the New York virus?
New York is a place.

Online gozalim

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #390 on: August 18, 2020, 09:47:20 AM »
Very seldom do I accuse you of reading comprehension but:New York is a place.
China is a plate

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #391 on: August 18, 2020, 11:38:32 AM »

Online avromie7

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: August 18, 2020, 12:48:54 PM »
I think everyone agrees mistakes were bound to be made. Trump closed travel to China early in the face of humongous political pressure, there are other things he should have done sooner that probably would have helped. Cuomo gave multiple directives which were harmful, but his nursing home directive was downright stupid and was directly responsible for the most loss of life.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #393 on: August 18, 2020, 12:57:44 PM »
I think everyone agrees mistakes were bound to be made. Trump closed travel to China early in the face of humongous political pressure, there are other things he should have done sooner that probably would have helped. Cuomo gave multiple directives which were harmful, but his nursing home directive was downright stupid and was directly responsible for the most loss of life.
Trumps neglect to close flights from Europe probably had a worse effect of lives.

Online aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #394 on: August 18, 2020, 01:16:54 PM »
Trumps neglect to close flights from Europe probably had a worse effect of lives.

What are the odds of that preventing arrival onto our shores? Anecdotally this seems to have been spreading long before it was really on the radar. He should have closed EU travel earlier than he did based on what was known at the time, but in hindsight it probably would have been futile.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Online avromie7

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: August 18, 2020, 01:21:30 PM »
What are the odds of that preventing arrival onto our shores? Anecdotally this seems to have been spreading long before it was really on the radar. He should have closed EU travel earlier than he did based on what was known at the time, but in hindsight it probably would have been futile.
This. But more importantly, not acting fast enough in a rapidly evolving situation can't be compared to an intentional directive.

P.S. Why doesn't anyone who berated Trump for closing flights to China get any blame?
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #396 on: August 18, 2020, 01:24:56 PM »
This. But more importantly, not acting fast enough in a rapidly evolving situation can't be compared to an intentional directive.

P.S. Why doesn't anyone who berated Trump for closing flights to China get any blame?
Also, you can't compare inadequate action or even inaction to actually doing something which caused so many deaths.

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #397 on: August 18, 2020, 01:47:01 PM »
Let me take a wild guess. They are not president and can't stop flights.  ::)

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #398 on: August 18, 2020, 01:53:25 PM »

I definitely don't think it would have been futile. The butterfly effect from that one call could have changed the trajectory of our country's handling of this virus, and possibly even the global response. Here's a hypothetical: Trump shuts flights from the EU, effectively slowing the spread in the US. Slower spread means hospitals aren't overwhelmed, leading to fewer bad calls by local officials, such as NY's nursing home debacle and extended shut-down. It means people get better treatment in March and April, and the delayed spread means more people have access to better treatment protocols by virtue of having gotten sick later. It's also possible that a national response at the level of closing EU travel evokes a more serious response from officials in the US and abroad, leading to fewer deaths and fewer illnesses before treatments and vaccines are widely available, with possibly fewer economic repercussions as a result. The what-if game is endless.

Looking back and pointing fingers is pretty pointless. There was bad info and bad reactions all around. The real focus should be on what the people who made the mistakes are doing right now. Are they busy playing CYA? Are they spinning the past? Are they preening over perceived victories? Are they learning from the things that went wrong and preparing for the future? To me it seems like we're headed for disaster come winter. I don't see Trump touting a revamped plan to prevent further spread. I don't see him bragging about our replenished stockpiles of PPE, ensuring we don't have shortages in this country again, whether during a resurgence of this pandemic or the next one. (To be fair, I don't see a plan from the Biden ticket, either.) I don't see Cuomo making sure NY doesn't have hospital shortages again. I don't see him addressing the accusations of gross medical mismanagement in his state. I don't see him talking about a plan to address the disparities in death rates in the high risk populations of NY. I don't see a single honest postmortem of the events and decisions of the last 6 months, or any attempt at a plan for protecting the people of this country from this virus as it stands today, or any future event of its kind that may come our way.

To the point of this thread's title, truths have come out. Now what?

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #399 on: August 18, 2020, 04:20:10 PM »
I definitely don't think it would have been futile. The butterfly effect from that one call could have changed the trajectory of our country's handling of this virus, and possibly even the global response. Here's a hypothetical: Trump shuts flights from the EU, effectively slowing the spread in the US. Slower spread means hospitals aren't overwhelmed, leading to fewer bad calls by local officials, such as NY's nursing home debacle and extended shut-down. It means people get better treatment in March and April, and the delayed spread means more people have access to better treatment protocols by virtue of having gotten sick later. It's also possible that a national response at the level of closing EU travel evokes a more serious response from officials in the US and abroad, leading to fewer deaths and fewer illnesses before treatments and vaccines are widely available, with possibly fewer economic repercussions as a result. The what-if game is endless.

Looking back and pointing fingers is pretty pointless. There was bad info and bad reactions all around. The real focus should be on what the people who made the mistakes are doing right now. Are they busy playing CYA? Are they spinning the past? Are they preening over perceived victories? Are they learning from the things that went wrong and preparing for the future? To me it seems like we're headed for disaster come winter. I don't see Trump touting a revamped plan to prevent further spread. I don't see him bragging about our replenished stockpiles of PPE, ensuring we don't have shortages in this country again, whether during a resurgence of this pandemic or the next one. (To be fair, I don't see a plan from the Biden ticket, either.) I don't see Cuomo making sure NY doesn't have hospital shortages again. I don't see him addressing the accusations of gross medical mismanagement in his state. I don't see him talking about a plan to address the disparities in death rates in the high risk populations of NY. I don't see a single honest postmortem of the events and decisions of the last 6 months, or any attempt at a plan for protecting the people of this country from this virus as it stands today, or any future event of its kind that may come our way.

To the point of this thread's title, truths have come out. Now what?

I think there is a good chance that by the time anyone realized that such a move would do anything it was too late. Which date do you think it should have been done?