Author Topic: Is there a second wave?  (Read 24967 times)

Offline Lurker

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
Please wear a mask.

Offline Proisrael

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG,Hilton,Club Carlson
Re: Is there a second wave?
« Reply #631 on: July 03, 2020, 03:10:12 AM »
There are currently 8 positives with 2 pending. The person in the ICU has tested negative for Covid. As per Dr. Friedman of CHEMED (who has been collating the cases in Lakewood.)

The fact that absolutely nobody wears masks in Lakewood means this can spiral extremely fast out of control. Very sad.

Offline Yard sale

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: July 03, 2020, 04:14:40 AM »
The fact that absolutely nobody wears masks in Lakewood means this can spiral extremely fast out of control. Very sad.
Or that Lakewood residents  have taken the position that there is little risk of it quickly spiraling out of control into a massive wave in Lakewood. A far more reasonable position in my opinion.

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: July 03, 2020, 07:34:11 AM »
Or that Lakewood residents  have taken the position that there is little risk of it quickly spiraling out of control into a massive wave in Lakewood. A far more reasonable position in my opinion.
Or the most reasonable position, which is that the reality falls somewhere in the middle of those two extremes
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline B.D.Da'ehu

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 126
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz PC, National EE, Sixt Platinum, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum
« Reply #634 on: July 03, 2020, 07:37:15 AM »
Or the most reasonable position, which is that the reality falls somewhere in the middle of those two extremes
+1000

The all or nothing mentality is ridiculous.

Offline CountValentine

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #635 on: July 03, 2020, 08:15:12 AM »
You need to ask yourself if your extreme position is wrong what will the cost to human life be?
You're so far up Trump's a** you can see Giuliani's feet.  HT Baruch

Offline moko

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: July 03, 2020, 08:19:57 AM »
You need to ask yourself if your extreme position is wrong what will the cost to human life be?
you may as well just post the hamster wheel instead of a written response
Using your g-d given right of stupidity is an option, not a requirement. Please use sparingly.

Offline CountValentine

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #637 on: July 03, 2020, 08:24:46 AM »
you may as well just post the hamster wheel instead of a written response
If I get one person to think about it then it was worth it but just in case.  :)
You're so far up Trump's a** you can see Giuliani's feet.  HT Baruch

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #638 on: July 03, 2020, 08:51:05 AM »

Tell me, how do you define "massive wave?" Does more than 50% of any given population need to get it in order to qualify? What about 10% of a very large population? And what if it doesn't spiral quickly? What if it takes a couple of months? Is that acceptable?
Please wear a mask.

Offline Yard sale

• View Profile
« Reply #639 on: July 03, 2020, 09:08:33 AM »
Tell me, how do you define "massive wave?" Does more than 50% of any given population need to get it in order to qualify? What about 10% of a very large population? And what if it doesn't spiral quickly? What if it takes a couple of months? Is that acceptable?
Was just responding to
this can spiral extremely fast out of control. Very sad.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #640 on: July 03, 2020, 09:14:07 AM »
Was just responding to

I understand. I'm trying to understand what your parameters are for "spiraling" into a "massive" second wave. When do you think Lakewood residents should start to get concerned?
Please wear a mask.

Offline Yard sale

• View Profile
« Reply #641 on: July 03, 2020, 10:19:00 AM »
I understand. I'm trying to understand what your parameters are for "spiraling" into a "massive" second wave. When do you think Lakewood residents should start to get concerned?
I donít know that there is a clear number but to me evidence of community spread, particularly secondary community spread, meaning locally contacted virus spreading to other Lakewood residents in several different settings (not residents contracting it outside of Lakewood) or a number of individuals (not 4 or 5) contacting it from another locally contracted case at even one community event would indicate a need for concern and further precautions. At that point elderly and immunocompromised should be taking strict measures. If we were to see incidence of spread beyond that, particularly coupled with several hospital transports, that would signal the potential beginning of a wave necessitating strict community wide measures. The frum healthcare providers are very coordinated at this point and real time information should be available fairly quickly unlike what we saw before pesach.

Conversely, multiple individuals contracting the virus outside of Lakewood is not particularly  concerning since it does not call the premise of herd immunity or near herd immunity in Lakewood into question.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #642 on: July 03, 2020, 10:32:17 AM »
Conversely, multiple individuals contracting the virus outside of Lakewood is not particularly  concerning since it does not call the premise of herd immunity or near herd immunity in Lakewood into question.

Have you seen the data and community warnings that have come out of CH this week regarding reinfections?
Please wear a mask.

Offline avromie7

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: July 03, 2020, 10:45:00 AM »
What if it takes a couple of months? Is that acceptable?
That leaves more than enough time to change course if the situation warrants it.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #644 on: July 03, 2020, 10:51:39 AM »
That leaves more than enough time to change course if the situation warrants it.

It seems like the main concern isn't people getting sick, since the fatality rate is relatively low and long-term damage is just a theory for now. CMIIW, but the 2 main concerns I'm seeing from you and @Yard sale are a massive wave overwhelming the healthcare system, and enough spread to trigger another lockdown. So my question is, when do the flags go up?
Please wear a mask.