Author Topic: Is there a second wave?  (Read 101735 times)

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a second wave?
« Reply #180 on: June 08, 2020, 09:07:15 AM »
anyone who thinks that because there were only a "few" new known cases in recent weeks this means we are in the clear is missing the boat.
+1

There is no intellectual argument that Covid is over. Only emotional & political statements 
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline Ergel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: June 08, 2020, 09:15:13 AM »
+1

There is no intellectual argument that Covid is over. Only emotional & political statements 
It just defies logic how people are saying this. I think it's because people see the only only alternative as complete lockdown, they have to go to the other extreme and say it doesn't exist.
It's just the way the world works. Most people lack nuance
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline yaakov35

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: June 08, 2020, 09:15:32 AM »
It can ONLY be this way. You will not have suddenly 10s of thousands of people with it. The average spread is to a handfull of people with some more and some less. It takes time for those 5 people who caught it to spread it to 25 then 125 etc. (the spread to 5 is arbitrary for the example).TO have reached anywhere near the numbers who caught it purim time there had to have been THOUSANDS of cases in the community before purim.
Why do we even need doctors and professionals if we have all the answers on ddf? If there's anything this pandemic should have taught us its that we are not in charge and have no idea whats going. Yet as time goes one and every curve ball that gets thrown someone here comes out with a new theory and why it really all makes sense. Sad

Offline Ergel

• View Profile
« Reply #183 on: June 08, 2020, 09:16:45 AM »
Why do we even need doctors and professionals if we have all the answers on ddf? If there's anything this pandemic should have taught us its that we are not in charge and have no idea whats going. Yet as time goes one and every curve ball that gets thrown someone here comes out with a new theory and why it really all makes sense. Sad
So instead you need to say that covid is dead? Sad

Offline Kobe Bryant

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: June 08, 2020, 09:17:22 AM »
+1

Covid is here to stay.

Offline yaakov35

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: June 08, 2020, 09:19:00 AM »
So instead you need to say that covid is dead? Sad
Interesting. Never mentioned a word about it yet thats the conclusion you came to

Offline Ergel

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: June 08, 2020, 09:25:25 AM »
Interesting. Never mentioned a word about it yet thats the conclusion you came to
Sorry, you are correct. I did not correctly remember your opinion

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #187 on: June 08, 2020, 09:33:24 AM »
I have been saying exactly this for quite some time.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline avromie7

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: June 08, 2020, 09:51:19 AM »
Unfortunately the doctors have been so far off the mark, that you can't blame people for doubting anything they say.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline S209

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #189 on: June 08, 2020, 04:38:15 PM »
Unfortunately the doctors have been so far off the mark, that you can't blame people for doubting anything they say.
Keep seeing this. Which doctors? How were they so far off the mark, and when?
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #190 on: June 08, 2020, 04:48:01 PM »

If you are going to judge all doctors by Neil Ferguson then yeah.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: June 08, 2020, 05:27:47 PM »
If you are going to judge all doctors by Neil Ferguson then yeah.
When his predictions are given the most weight by the decision makers it kinda makes people lose confidence in the entire system.

Offline avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #192 on: June 08, 2020, 05:28:39 PM »
Keep seeing this. Which doctors? How were they so far off the mark, and when?
Weren't you the one talking about the doctors who were too late to push shutdown?

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #193 on: June 08, 2020, 06:07:45 PM »
Weren't you the one talking about the doctors who were too late to push shutdown?
I was talking about one doctor and he’s still wrong. Politicians were late to shut down, but either way I agree that doctors didn’t know much about the virus before they saw it (obviously, and which they have pretty much all said outright from the beginning). Now, where were “the doctors” wrong? What did doctors as a group say that was proven wrong?

Offline good sam

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: June 08, 2020, 06:17:22 PM »
Here's what I'm grappling with. My family has been doing extreme social distancing since the week after purim. I think we should continue doing so until we have strong evidence that no second wave is coming. However, social distancing requires an aggregate effect; I alone cannot prevent the second wave.

If 85% (at least) of my community is not practicing any social distancing, and the same appears to be true in most other communities, and we ourselves are not high risk, why should we continue at all? Convince me otherwise.
If you don't care why would you comment?
HT: DMYD

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #195 on: June 08, 2020, 06:34:15 PM »
Here's what I'm grappling with. My family has been doing extreme social distancing since the week after purim. I think we should continue doing so until we have strong evidence that no second wave is coming. However, social distancing requires an aggregate effect; I alone cannot prevent the second wave.

If 85% (at least) of my community is not practicing any social distancing, and the same appears to be true in most other communities, and we ourselves are not high risk, why should we continue at all? Convince me otherwise.
I can’t speak for you without knowing your circumstances but you probably can ease up and not practice “extreme” social distancing. As long as you continue to take precautions you are probably doing the hishtadlus you’re supposed to. Just because some people aren’t practicing any (which is rare, since automatically just about everyone is currently interacting at least somewhat less than they used to at weddings, school, work, etc.) doesn’t mean you taking precautions won’t help.

Offline good sam

• View Profile
« Reply #196 on: June 08, 2020, 06:40:14 PM »
I can’t speak for you without knowing your circumstances but you probably can ease up and not practice “extreme” social distancing. As long as you continue to take precautions you are probably doing the hishtadlus you’re supposed to. Just because some people aren’t practicing any (which is rare, since automatically just about everyone is currently interacting at least somewhat less than they used to at weddings, school, work, etc.) doesn’t mean you taking precautions won’t help.
I don't think this answers my question.

There was a shalom zachor in my neighborhood. It was outdoors but everyone was socializing and eating as normal. I went in a mask for 30 seconds, I was the only one. Shuls are operating nearly at capacity. From what I'm reading here and from what I'm hearing, many other places are the same or worse. If what they are doing will spread the virus, my staying home, or wearing a mask, or keeping a 6 foot distance will not do anything to slow it.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #197 on: June 08, 2020, 06:41:35 PM »
I don't think this answers my question.

There was a shalom zachor in my neighborhood. It was outdoors but everyone was socializing and eating as normal. I went in a mask for 30 seconds, I was the only one. Shuls are operating nearly at capacity. From what I'm reading here and from what I'm hearing, many other places are the same or worse. If what they are doing will spread the virus, my staying home, or wearing a mask, or keeping a 6 foot distance will not do anything to slow it.
If 20% of people are careful the wave will be 20% less deadly

Offline good sam

• View Profile
« Reply #198 on: June 08, 2020, 07:03:35 PM »
If 20% of people are careful the wave will be 20% less deadly
That math doesn't check out, unless the 20% being careful are the most vulnerable.

Offline cmey

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: June 08, 2020, 07:58:56 PM »
That math doesn't check out, unless the 20% being careful are the most vulnerable.
Depending on how you define most vulnerable if the 20% most vulnerable takes extreme precaution that would probably work out to 90% less deadly, since over 90% of deaths were in the most vulnerable population.