Author Topic: Is there a second wave?  (Read 100104 times)

Offline yzj

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a second wave?
« Reply #260 on: June 14, 2020, 01:25:41 AM »
Source? (medical)Did you think this was a normal thing to say in any way for any reason?
I don’t think a medical source is necessary at this point. Not when you have this
going on in frum communities and similar but smaller scale in Lakewood and numbers haven’t budged.

Offline Lurker

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #261 on: June 14, 2020, 08:38:55 AM »
Cute. But florida barely had any cases originally so how is it a second wave? If new york had a tremendous uptick that would be a second wave... there still on the first

Who said second wave? @incendia said we shouldn't be talking about a second wave until the first is over when he quoted that tweet with the record numbers.

Serious question: you seem to be of the opinion that Covid is irrelevant to your community specifically and the NY/NY Jewish communities in general. Why do you still hang around the Covid board if it's null and void? Seems to be an epic waste of your time...
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Online moko

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: June 14, 2020, 08:47:22 AM »
Why do you still hang around the Covid board if it's null and void? Seems to be an epic waste of your time...
that describes the entire JS board and some more... Yet we're all here  :)

Offline avromie7

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: June 14, 2020, 09:20:36 AM »
Serious question: you seem to be of the opinion that Covid is irrelevant to your community specifically and the NY/NY Jewish communities in general. Why do you still hang around the Covid board if it's null and void? Seems to be an epic waste of your time...
Even those who believe COVID is gone never to be seen again are affected by the lockdown.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #264 on: June 14, 2020, 10:10:54 AM »
Lakewood-almost no cases with thousands of frum people in shuls and schools with no SD. Same for many NYC frum communities. People are confusing places that haven’t been hit hard and are indeed susceptible to a second (first?) wave and places that have been hit and are not seeing any further activity nor are they even remotely likely to see a large second wave going forward.

As a senior Crown Heights Hatzolah member put it to me on Shabbos: Places that didn't experience what Crown Heights, Williamsburg and Boro Park experienced (we were discussing EY) will keep on seeing flare-ups. While our communities have experienced virtually no new cases for weeks, despite going back to normal. This has been the case for weeks.

Driving down Bedford Avenue on Friday it felt like I crossed a border at Park Avenue. Until that points masks were seen everywhere. Once Park Avenue was crossed, there was not a face (or even chin-) mask to be seen (except for an occasional outsider passing through).
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Online S209

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #265 on: June 14, 2020, 10:50:18 AM »
I don’t think a medical source is necessary at this point. Not when you have this
going on in frum communities and similar but smaller scale in Lakewood and numbers haven’t budged.
You said there is no chance of a second wave occurring at a future date. That has nothing to do with there not having been a resurgence yet.
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Online S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #266 on: June 14, 2020, 10:54:05 AM »
As a senior Crown Heights Hatzolah member put it to me on Shabbos: Places that didn't experience what Crown Heights, Williamsburg and Boro Park experienced (we were discussing EY) will keep on seeing flare-ups. While our communities have experienced virtually no new cases for weeks, despite going back to normal. This has been the case for weeks.

Driving down Bedford Avenue on Friday it felt like I crossed a border at Park Avenue. Until that points masks were seen everywhere. Once Park Avenue was crossed, there was not a face (or even chin-) mask to be seen (except for an occasional outsider passing through).
Has it been your experience that Hatzalah members understand this virus more than doctors and other professionals? Everyone’s been saying it and he’s no more an expert than the next guy.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #267 on: June 14, 2020, 10:56:16 AM »
Has it been your experience that Hatzalah members understand this virus more than doctors and other professionals? Everyone’s been saying it and he’s no more an expert than the next guy.

Exactly. And the Doctors and health professionals don't understand it either!

אין לו לדיין מה שעיניו רואות.

Those that lack the humility to acknowledge that they don't know and don't understand, and that opposing views might be valid, lose credibility.
-- Dan

Online S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #268 on: June 14, 2020, 10:59:28 AM »
Exactly. And the Doctors and health professionals don't understand it either!

Those that lack the humility to acknowledge that they don't know and don't understand, and that opposing views might be valid, lose credibility.
You took the words right out of my mouth.

Also, doctors do understand it better than Hatzalah members and laymen. What is so hard for people to understand about this?

Online aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #269 on: June 14, 2020, 11:18:11 AM »

That does not mean that everyone is qualified to interpret what they see to understand where it can potential lead.
One of the most important things for a dayan is to know when he has the tools to understand what the data really means. Does the lack of cases now mean that we don't have what to worry about or is it simply that it takes more time that they are assuming for things to blow up? I hope that it means we are done, but don't have confidence that every person who is qualified to keep someone alive for a few minutes to get them to a hospital has enough knowledge to bring what they are seeing to an actionable interpretation.
Hopefully it will turn out well. If it does that does not translate to everyone having said that we can go back to life as usual right here and now having been correct.
I will leave you with this:
Just because it worked out doesn't mean you were right or smart. A dumb choice can also work out well.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 11:48:38 AM by aygart »
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline biobook

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: June 14, 2020, 11:35:17 AM »

If I were a virus, walking down Park Avenue, and had my druthers, I'd turn down the street of the unmasked.

And if the virus makes that turn, we'll all regret it.  Maybe not today.  Maybe not tomorrow, but soon, and for the rest of our lives.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #271 on: June 14, 2020, 11:56:01 AM »
You took the words right out of my mouth.

Also, doctors do understand it better than Hatzalah members and laymen. What is so hard for people to understand about this?

How much Mandarin do you understand? If 0 then I understand more than you do. How about Turkish? My Turkish vocabulary is probably at about 2,000% of my Mandarin vocabulary. Does that mean I can have a most basic telephone conversation in Turkish? No. Then we get to Arabic. My vocabulary there is probably also several thousand percent my Turkish vocabulary. Can I have a telephone conversation? No! Can I pick up a gist of a TV news report? Sometimes. Can I say I understand Arabic in a way that can be relied upon? No.

I hope you get my point.
-- Dan

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #272 on: June 14, 2020, 11:57:00 AM »
If I were a virus, walking down Park Avenue, and had my druthers, I'd turn down the street of the unmasked.

And if the virus makes that turn, we'll all regret it.  Maybe not today.  Maybe not tomorrow, but soon, and for the rest of our lives.

Except that you're not a virus.  If you were, you'd likely to be decimated and die out there.
-- Dan

Online S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #273 on: June 14, 2020, 12:16:48 PM »
How much Mandarin do you understand? If 0 then I understand more than you do. How about Turkish? My Turkish vocabulary is probably at about 2,000% of my Mandarin vocabulary. Does that mean I can have a most basic telephone conversation in Turkish? No. Then we get to Arabic. My vocabulary there is probably also several thousand percent my Turkish vocabulary. Can I have a telephone conversation? No! Can I pick up a gist of a TV news report? Sometimes. Can I say I understand Arabic in a way that can be relied upon? No.

I hope you get my point.
I’m not trying to be clever but I honestly don’t.

Offline biobook

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: June 14, 2020, 12:26:56 PM »
Except that you're not a virus.  If you were, you'd likely to be decimated and die out there.
Not if I got inhaled into the nasal passages of a susceptible person without a mask.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #275 on: June 14, 2020, 12:29:20 PM »
I’m not trying to be clever but I honestly don’t.

Let's try a different one:

A chassid by the name of Reb Gershon Ber described the extent and depth of a tzaddik’s Torah knowledge. Reb Gershon Ber himself was a Torah genius and in his times was considered one of the greatest minds in the Chabad-Chassidic community — someone who understood the deep, abstract concepts of chassidic philosophy on the highest level.

He said, “If I would compare myself to the great chassid Reb Hillel Paritcher5 and compare the depth of my understanding to his, I would have to compare myself to a cat. I don’t mean,” he explained, “that as far as I am from the level of a cat, that is how distant I am to him. No. Reb Hillel Paritcher’s depth is so incredible that compared to him, the cat and I are of equal distance from him.”

He continued, “But if I would compare the level and depth of Reb Hillel Paritcher to that of the Tzemach Tzedek (who was the Rebbe at that time), I would also compare Reb Hillel to the cat. And I don’t mean that as distant as the cat is from Reb Hillel Paritcher, that is how distant he is to the Tzemach Tzedek. The depth of Torah knowledge of the Tzemach Tzedek is so incredible, that compared to him, Reb Hillel Paritcher and the cat are of equal distance to him.”

Source: https://www.sie.org/templates/sie/article_cdo/aid/2296329/jewish/Chapter-Two-But-Is-It-Jewish.htm
-- Dan

Online S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #276 on: June 14, 2020, 12:48:16 PM »

Offline Ergel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: June 14, 2020, 12:57:34 PM »
I have thought for a long time that the message of this pandemic was to show us how little we know. I'm amazed that we have taken that message to mean that experts know as little as us and therefore we don't need to take their opinion into account
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #278 on: June 14, 2020, 01:09:31 PM »
I have thought for a long time that the message of this pandemic was to show us how little we know. I'm amazed that we have taken that message to mean that experts know as little as us and therefore we don't need to take their opinion into account

Their opinions were taken into account and held in high regard, until they failed on a few basic fronts:

1. Acknowledging how little they actually know and understand.
2. Adapting their guidance and opinions to the actual evidence.
3. Cool headed thinking based on acquired experience.
4. Big picture thinking about the situation.

They are simply eroding their own credibility.
-- Dan

Offline CountValentine

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #279 on: June 14, 2020, 01:12:14 PM »
Like everything nowadays. If it fits the narrative they know what they are talking about. If it doesn't fit the narrative then they don't know what they are talking about.

Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half