Author Topic: Is there a second wave?  (Read 100108 times)

Offline yitzgar

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a second wave?
« Reply #780 on: December 21, 2020, 02:20:20 PM »
If it is not something knowable or measurable that how does this have any practical application and how does this have to do with anything that anyone said here? Who cares if the reason is because they weren't exposed to the same amount of viral particles or if they "happened" to sneeze when they were exposed and expelled the viral particles or some other reason? What are you getting at? THe point is that they were exposed and didn't get infected.
The point is that just because someone was "exposed" in the common vernacular, doesn't mean they were genuinely exposed to virus in such a way that they "should have" gotten sick. Therefore, having a spouse, chavrusa or whatever, in no way means that "I already had it"

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #781 on: December 21, 2020, 02:35:55 PM »
The point is that just because someone was "exposed" in the common vernacular, doesn't mean they were genuinely exposed to virus in such a way that they "should have" gotten sick. Therefore, having a spouse, chavrusa or whatever, in no way means that "I already had it"
Oh, that is basically what @S209 was saying and I thought you were disagreeing with him so I guess you are right that
You guys missed the point
Feelings don't care about your facts

Online S209

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #782 on: December 21, 2020, 02:42:39 PM »
It is certainly possible that this is so. It was stated as fact, though, and I was asking for a source that it actually works that way.
What was stated as fact? That if two people are exposed at the same second from the exact same angle and distance with the exact same immune response for the exact same duration from the same person that the outcomes would be different? That was not what I said.

I added to your point that not only isn’t everyone necessarily exposed to infectious viral shedding, but even if you *are* “exposed” to a person who *is* actively shedding infectious virus at that time you are not guaranteed to become infected.
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #783 on: December 21, 2020, 02:44:13 PM »
I totally agree with this sentiment.
However, I hope the irony of you using this argument at this stage isn't lost on you
Where's @TimT to show that it's not only "at this stage" that I have made this argument.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #784 on: December 21, 2020, 02:44:56 PM »
What was stated as fact? That if two people are exposed at the same second from the exact same angle and distance with the exact same immune response for the exact same duration from the same person that the outcomes would be different? That was not what I said.

I added to your point that not only isn’t everyone necessarily exposed to infectious viral shedding, but even if you *are* “exposed” to a person who *is* actively shedding infectious virus at that time you are not guaranteed to become infected.
I don't know that it is even possible to know that and therefore would have no practical applcations.

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #785 on: December 21, 2020, 02:45:59 PM »
Where's @TimT to show that it's not only "at this stage" that I have made this argument.
I didn't see any mention of "only" in his post.

Online S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #786 on: December 21, 2020, 02:51:05 PM »
I don't know that it is even possible to know that and therefore would have no practical applcations.
Exactly. My sisters and my wife were exposed to my mother at the same time, my wife and one sister caught it but my other sister didn’t. Negative for antibodies, never had it, consistent negative PCRs.

The point is that even if you were indeed exposed to someone shedding virus there is zero indication that you are now “immune”.

Offline yitzgar

• View Profile
« Reply #787 on: December 21, 2020, 02:57:38 PM »
Exactly. My sisters and my wife were exposed to my mother at the same time, my wife and one sister caught it but my other sister didn’t. Negative for antibodies, never had it, consistent negative PCRs.

The point is that even if you were indeed exposed to someone shedding virus there is zero indication that you are now “immune”.
+1
The argument here could potentially be that she is immune despite not showing antibodies. The only way to prove that theory wrong in this situation is if someone else in the same scenario later became infected from a different source.

Online S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #788 on: December 21, 2020, 03:02:55 PM »

The argument here could potentially be that she is immune despite not showing antibodies. The only way to prove that theory wrong in this situation is if someone else in the same scenario later became infected from a different source.
Key words: *potentially* and *theory*.

Offline Ergel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: December 21, 2020, 03:12:05 PM »
I didn't see any mention of "only" in his post.
It's been ironic every time you've made the argument
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #790 on: December 21, 2020, 03:21:15 PM »
+1
There are definitely cases such as at weddings and in shuls. Consideirng there is no way to measure who got more or less viral particles this means that even if the theory is true it has no practical application.

Offline yitzgar

• View Profile
« Reply #791 on: December 21, 2020, 03:44:08 PM »
Key words: *potentially* and *theory*.
Correct

Offline yitzgar

• View Profile
« Reply #792 on: December 21, 2020, 03:44:26 PM »
There are definitely cases such as at weddings and in shuls. Consideirng there is no way to measure who got more or less viral particles this means that even if the theory is true it has no practical application.
True

Online S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #793 on: December 21, 2020, 05:41:34 PM »
As I’ve stated in the past, it’s also possible that cross reactivity from another coronavirus caused temporary immunity which wanes fairly quickly

Offline Euclid

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Is there a second wave?
« Reply #794 on: December 21, 2020, 05:53:13 PM »
As I’ve stated in the past, it’s also possible that cross reactivity from another coronavirus caused temporary immunity which wanes fairly quickly
I was wondering about that - I had been fighting a cold for a couple weeks prior to my wife contracting covid and I didn't catch covid from her.

Online S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #795 on: December 21, 2020, 06:35:51 PM »
I was wondering about that - I had been fighting a cold for a couple weeks prior to my wife contracting covid and I didn't catch covid from her.
Did anyone catch it from her? Remember, 69% of patients do not infect anyone.

Offline Euclid

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: December 21, 2020, 06:39:28 PM »
Did anyone catch it from her? Remember, 69% of patients do not infect anyone.
I don't believe anyone did. And she had a very light case so it's conceivable her initial viral load was very low and her viral shedding also was. Sometimes I wish we had "covid goggles" to be able to visualize shedding.

Offline yitzgar

• View Profile
« Reply #797 on: December 21, 2020, 06:40:58 PM »
I don't believe anyone did. And she had a very light case so it's conceivable her initial viral load was very low and her viral shedding also was. Sometimes I wish we had "covid goggles" to be able to visualize shedding.
It would be a different world if we had those....