Author Topic: Is it time to reopen the country?  (Read 43495 times)

Offline Yard sale

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Is it time to reopen the country?
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2020, 10:11:27 AM »
Got it. So the NYT data on excess deaths is only up until around April 19th? That’s a long time age. One thing is clear. The landscape has dramatically shifted from early April.  Back then EMS were seeing  spikes in at home deaths from cardiac arrest and unknown causes in droves that were not reported as covid in New York City. Nursing homes were  disincentivized to report deaths as covid and admit that infection was rampant in their facility. Now nursing homes are mandated to report  covid victims. Hospitals are now incentivized to categorize all symptomatic patients as covid even without confirmed diagnosis . Not that I blame them. There is a tremendous amount of federal funding going to the hospitals for Covid patients. Even the small frum healthcare centers are getting close to $1 million just for Covid testing. If I was a hospital CEO I would fire my senior management if they had to return federal dollars instead of maximizing  the Covid diagnoses to the maximum legal extent they possibly can. Deaths without known cause around the country are now being investigated for possible Covid. The political will is there. It’s a very different story from early April and likely to be poorly reflected in the numbers that are being touted daily. The CDC count will indeed give a more accurate depiction as numbers are updated.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 10:15:12 AM by Yard sale »

Offline Lurker

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2020, 10:15:17 AM »
Got it. One thing is clear. The landscape has dramatically shifted from early April.  Back then EMS were seeing  spikes in at home deaths from cardiac arrest and unknown causes in droves that were not reported as covid in New York City. Nursing homes were  disincentivized to report deaths as covid and admit that infection was rampant in their facility. Now nursing homes are mandated to report  covid victims. Hospitals are now incentivized to categorize all symptomatic patients as covid even without confirmed diagnosis . Not that I blame them. There is a tremendous amount of federal funding going to the hospitals for Covid patients. Even the small frum healthcare centers are getting close to $1 million just for Covid testing. If I was a hospital CEO I would fire my senior management if they had to return federal dollars instead of maximizing  the Covid diagnoses to the maximum legal extent they possibly can. Deaths without known cause around the country are now being investigated for possible Covid. The political will is there. It’s a very different story from early April and likely to be poorly reflected in the numbers that are being touted daily. The CDC count will indeed give a more accurate depiction as numbers are updated.

No one's denying that it's messy and money messes it up even more. But when you look at overall deaths, you can't deny the increase, and in significant numbers. That's the stat everyone should be following if they want to get around political BS.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2020, 10:22:19 AM »
Got it. So the NYT data on excess deaths is only up until around April 19th? That’s a long time age. One thing is clear. The landscape has dramatically shifted from early April.  Back then EMS were seeing  spikes in at home deaths from cardiac arrest and unknown causes in droves that were not reported as covid in New York City. Nursing homes were  disincentivized to report deaths as covid and admit that infection was rampant in their facility. Now nursing homes are mandated to report  covid victims. Hospitals are now incentivized to categorize all symptomatic patients as covid even without confirmed diagnosis . Not that I blame them. There is a tremendous amount of federal funding going to the hospitals for Covid patients. Even the small frum healthcare centers are getting close to $1 million just for Covid testing. If I was a hospital CEO I would fire my senior management if they had to return federal dollars instead of maximizing  the Covid diagnoses to the maximum legal extent they possibly can. Deaths without known cause around the country are now being investigated for possible Covid. The political will is there. It’s a very different story from early April and likely to be poorly reflected in the numbers that are being touted daily. The CDC count will indeed give a more accurate depiction as numbers are updated.

The Economist article was updated later It does make sense that the drop would be more dratic just as the rise was more dramatic.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline S209

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2020, 10:25:10 AM »
You're not being mechadesh anything. This has been studied pretty well already, and they're continuing to track it.

Here's one example:
https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/2020/04/16/tracking-covid-19-excess-deaths-across-countries
This article is from April 28.

You do raise valid points. However, people are taking these facts (which should give you pause when you see certain numbers) and running with it to promote a position that is just plain false. Excess mortality is a very good indicator of the facts.
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline grodnoking

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2020, 01:05:51 PM »
Comrade De'Blasio has no plans on every opening up NYC. Time to revolt!
I'm not who you think I am.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2020, 02:16:36 PM »
Comrade De'Blasio has no plans on every opening up NYC. Time to revolt!
Why not just recall him, if that’s what the majority feel?
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline KSMH

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
Always praying for delayed baggage.

Offline zh cohen

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2020, 04:42:59 PM »
Haven't heard much about Georgia in the media recently. I assume that means their reopening is going well?

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2020, 04:53:54 PM »
Haven't heard much about Georgia in the media recently. I assume that means their reopening is going well?

https://www.ajc.com/news/state--regional/coronavirus-georgia-the-latest-figures/HXfoEnBqHW7i0AJpYArL0J/

Offline Kobe Bryant

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2020, 04:56:08 PM »

Have you been hearing alot on DeSantis lately?

Offline KSMH

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2020, 06:19:58 PM »
https://twitter.com/TheBelaaz/status/1261416423211048960

Is her point valid?
Do people here agree with her?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2020, 06:21:10 PM »
Erm, #FakeNews

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/15/business/georgia-reopening-3-weeks-later/index.html

Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2020, 06:24:05 PM »

Offline KSMH

• View Profile

Offline Yef

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2020, 03:09:12 PM »
We keep hearing evidence of earlier and earlier cases of the virus in NYC and other places as early as January. If it took from Jan to Mid March for it to become serious in NYC, how long would a second wave take to show up if there is one?
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline mgarfin

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2020, 03:12:50 PM »
We keep hearing evidence of earlier and earlier cases of the virus in NYC and other places as early as January. If it took from Jan to Mid March for it to become serious in NYC, how long would a second wave take to show up if there is one?

There is more testing now, No?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2020, 03:15:05 PM »
I'd assume it would follow the same timeline.

Started in Wuhan in October and became serious in January.
Started here in January and became serious in March.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.