Author Topic: Is it time to reopen the country?  (Read 43642 times)

Offline Lurker

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
Re: Is it time to reopen the country?
« Reply #300 on: May 21, 2020, 10:35:31 AM »
Because they did the right thing and immediately removed infected people from the facility and didn't allow the hospitals to send them back until they were cleared.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2020/05/coronavirus-crisis-ron-desantis-florida-covid-19-strategy/

Basically Florida shows how many nursing home deaths Cuomo is responsible for.

If you can show me how many nursing home patients were infected vs how many survived in Florida, we can talk.

Btw, Cuomo's policies cost many, many lives of nursing home patients, but they still account for as many as 50% of the deaths nationwide. This isn't just a NY problem.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline zh cohen

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: May 21, 2020, 10:41:22 AM »
What do we know about Florida's numbers? How many tourists or snowbirds were infected or died? How many dual citizens from Europe or South America? How many illegal aliens?

If they were in Florida when they were tested they are included in Florida's numbers. The only question is if there were people who caught it in Florida but didn't get tested until they got home.

Offline Kobe Bryant

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: May 21, 2020, 10:43:19 AM »
If you can show me how many nursing home patients were infected vs how many survived in Florida, we can talk.

Btw, Cuomo's policies cost many, many lives of nursing home patients, but they still account for as many as 50% of the deaths nationwide. This isn't just a NY problem.

That is because he did such a great job across the board, that it evened out at around  50% (we don't actually have the nursing home death numbers for NY).

Offline Kobe Bryant

• View Profile
« Reply #303 on: May 21, 2020, 10:44:44 AM »
If they were in Florida when they were tested they are included in Florida's numbers. The only question is if there were people who caught it in Florida but didn't get tested until they got home.

And vice versa, possibly many came infected from the tri state area.

Offline zh cohen

• View Profile
« Reply #304 on: May 21, 2020, 10:46:51 AM »

Are you asking me to find data to support your argument? Show me that there was an unexplained difference in death rates and I will concede that Desantis is feeding the bodies to alligators to cover up the death rate.

NJ, PA and MI (which together with NY account for 2/3 of the US deaths) had the same policy in place.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 10:54:07 AM by zh cohen »

Offline Kobe Bryant

• View Profile
« Reply #305 on: May 21, 2020, 10:54:12 AM »

Offline cholent

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: May 21, 2020, 11:20:26 AM »
"All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others"

https://www.pennlive.com/news/2020/05/health-secretary-rachel-levines-removal-of-mom-from-care-home-amid-epidemic-draws-scrutiny.html
I find this criticism dumbfounding. Of course she should do what's best for her mother. So should whoever has that option. True, others don't have that option, or their specific circumstances mean that taking a parent out of a nursing home will actually expose them to more risk. Why should that mean that her mother, or anyone with better options, should remain in a nursing home now?
Don't ask stupid questions and you won't get stupid answers

Offline yaakov35

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: May 21, 2020, 11:36:27 AM »
Are you serious? Its obvious that the most vulnerable population and an extremely high percentage (if not majority) of Covid19 deaths are from nursing homes.

This.

And therefore if @Lurker decides that not enough people died, the numbers must be skewed?!

Offline avromie7

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: May 21, 2020, 11:43:45 AM »

Unless I'm misunderstanding, this makes no sense. The point is Florida made the #1 priority to protect the vulnerable, more specifically nursing home residents. A low number of infections in nursing homes was the goal of the policies and it seems to have succeeded.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline Kobe Bryant

• View Profile
« Reply #309 on: May 21, 2020, 11:53:05 AM »
I find this criticism dumbfounding. Of course she should do what's best for her mother. So should whoever has that option. True, others don't have that option, or their specific circumstances mean that taking a parent out of a nursing home will actually expose them to more risk. Why should that mean that her mother, or anyone with better options, should remain in a nursing home now?

I find it dumbfounding that public officials in charge of making public policy put into affect a policy that led to thousands of people dying, but when it came to personal decision making recognized how dangerous and irresponsible it was.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #310 on: May 21, 2020, 12:12:44 PM »

I found some official numbers for nursing homes. Unless I'm reading it wrong, they only give the numbers for currently infected residents, not a cumulative total of nursing home infections. While I stand by my skepticism of the accuracy of those numbers, I will walk back the extreme way in which I voiced my personal opinions. Below are the numbers, and you can decide for yourselves if the skepticism is completely unfounded. Keep in mind that the last update was on 5/18, although many facilities haven't updated their numbers as recently.

Facilities with infections: 533
Number of infections:
  • 1,789 positive residents
  • 2,228 positive residents transferred
  • 1,986 positive staff
Out of the 533 facilities with infections, around 340 of them reported 5 total infections or fewer.

Facilities with deaths: 211
Total deaths: 844

Some of you are saying that Florida has made it a priority to contain nursing homes and keep them safe. They've been ahead of the curve and have succeeded in their containment. They should be hailed around the world, and their model replicated. On April 18, after a long fight to get the state to release nursing home numbers, the state announced 303 facilities had infections. There were 220 new facilities affected in the last month. That doesn't scream containment. (ETA: Per the governor, on April 18 there were a total of 1,627 cases known to exist among the facilities’ residents and staff. Again, the increase in numbers don't show containment.)

Here's where the tinfoil hat come out.... If a nursing home patient dies, it's considered an expected death. There is no incentive for anyone to do a Covid test on the dead body. The nursing homes only stand to lose by increasing their numbers. The state only stands to lose by increasing their numbers. Ah, but there's a simple solution, right? Look at the overall death rate and look for an increase! Florida hasn't released mortality/morbidity numbers since the last week in February. There's no way to check the numbers.

Is this a crazy conspiracy theory? Yes. I've usually tried to keep my posts more towards facts and logic. But these numbers don't make sense to me, because we haven't seen them anywhere else in the world. When "one of these things is not like the others," it bears more scrutiny than just taking the Governor at his say so.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 12:17:41 PM by Lurker »

Offline zh cohen

• View Profile
« Reply #311 on: May 21, 2020, 12:19:20 PM »

Was she honest with the public about the dangers, or did she minimize it?

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #312 on: May 21, 2020, 12:46:00 PM »
And therefore if @Lurker decides that not enough people died, the numbers must be skewed?!

While I am totally unfamiliar with the FL numbers and have no opinion on whether or not they were skewed, this is something that @yuneeq was pointing out back in Feb and March. Here are a few.

1st case in Florida? Censored?

https://new.thescoopradioshow.com/concern-in-sarasota-county-after-a-document-on-doctors-hospital-letter-head-advises-the-public-that-a-presumptive-case-has-tested-positive-for-coronavirus/
Don't worry about visiting Florida! People in Florida are immune to Coronavirus, as long as censorship is in place.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/health-care/article240390676.html
Florida on a roll
https://miami.cbslocal.com/2020/03/02/coronavirus-confusion-miami-woman-allegedly-denied-proper-testing/
Censored, indeed. 
If you live in/visiting Florida, do you trust the public officials to tell the truth? Does this censorship make us safer?

Great quote from the original article -  "And if there’s a confirmed case, it will absolutely be reported.” -Surgeon General Scott Rivkees
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline zh cohen

• View Profile
« Reply #313 on: May 21, 2020, 12:57:39 PM »
I found some official numbers for nursing homes. Unless I'm reading it wrong, they only give the numbers for currently infected residents, not a cumulative total of nursing home infections. While I stand by my skepticism of the accuracy of those numbers, I will walk back the extreme way in which I voiced my personal opinions. Below are the numbers, and you can decide for yourselves if the skepticism is completely unfounded. Keep in mind that the last update was on 5/18, although many facilities haven't updated their numbers as recently.

Facilities with infections: 533
Number of infections:
  • 1,789 positive residents
  • 2,228 positive residents transferred
  • 1,986 positive staff
Out of the 533 facilities with infections, around 340 of them reported 5 total infections or fewer.

Facilities with deaths: 211
Total deaths: 844

Some of you are saying that Florida has made it a priority to contain nursing homes and keep them safe. They've been ahead of the curve and have succeeded in their containment. They should be hailed around the world, and their model replicated. On April 18, after a long fight to get the state to release nursing home numbers, the state announced 303 facilities had infections. There were 220 new facilities affected in the last month. That doesn't scream containment. (ETA: Per the governor, on April 18 there were a total of 1,627 cases known to exist among the facilities’ residents and staff. Again, the increase in numbers don't show containment.)

Here's where the tinfoil hat come out.... If a nursing home patient dies, it's considered an expected death. There is no incentive for anyone to do a Covid test on the dead body. The nursing homes only stand to lose by increasing their numbers. The state only stands to lose by increasing their numbers. Ah, but there's a simple solution, right? Look at the overall death rate and look for an increase! Florida hasn't released mortality/morbidity numbers since the last week in February. There's no way to check the numbers.

Is this a crazy conspiracy theory? Yes. I've usually tried to keep my posts more towards facts and logic. But these numbers don't make sense to me, because we haven't seen them anywhere else in the world. When "one of these things is not like the others," it bears more scrutiny than just taking the Governor at his say so.

Your numbers are telling me that

1 - Less than 15% of Florida's facilities had any cases.

2 - Facilities that had cases had very few

From point 1 I think we can see that they did a pretty good job keeping it out of facilities

From point 2 I think we can see that in facilities that did have cases they quickly contained it, so it didn't spread to other people in the facility.

Your conspiracy is based on the idea that people died either without first showing symptoms (which doesn't fit with what we know about this disease) or had their symptoms ignored. Either way, by the time they died many more in the facility would have caught it from them.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #314 on: May 21, 2020, 02:08:34 PM »
Your numbers are telling me that

1 - Less than 15% of Florida's facilities had any cases.

2 - Facilities that had cases had very few

From point 1 I think we can see that they did a pretty good job keeping it out of facilities

From point 2 I think we can see that in facilities that did have cases they quickly contained it, so it didn't spread to other people in the facility.

Your conspiracy is based on the idea that people died either without first showing symptoms (which doesn't fit with what we know about this disease) or had their symptoms ignored. Either way, by the time they died many more in the facility would have caught it from them.

Points taken. Tell me this: if Florida has this thing figured out and is kicking the world's collective butts at prevention, why have the affected facilities gone up 75% and the overall numbers more than tripled between April 18 and May 18, a time during which every other place in the country has seen new cases slow, plateau, or even decrease?

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #315 on: May 21, 2020, 03:07:30 PM »

Totally, cuz @Kobe bryent always agrees with everything I say.

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #316 on: May 21, 2020, 06:49:50 PM »
https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2020-05-21/coronavirus-lockdowns-haven-t-proved-they-re-worth-the-havoc

Let me point out one other fact about the pandemic of the late 1960s. Like many coronaviruses, the H3N2 virus came in waves. The last one began in the fall of 1969 and ended in early 1970. Assuming this coronavirus fades in the summer, there is a high likelihood that it will return with a vengeance in the fall and winter. If that happens, are you truly ready to lock down again?

I didn’t think so.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline zh cohen

• View Profile
« Reply #317 on: May 21, 2020, 07:42:07 PM »
Points taken. Tell me this: if Florida has this thing figured out and is kicking the world's collective butts at prevention, why have the affected facilities gone up 75% and the overall numbers more than tripled between April 18 and May 18, a time during which every other place in the country has seen new cases slow, plateau, or even decrease?

https://twitter.com/TheBabylonBee/status/1263530104124321792

Offline Kobe Bryant

• View Profile
« Reply #318 on: May 21, 2020, 09:31:34 PM »
Totally, cuz @Kobe bryent always agrees with everything I say.

I totally agree with this   ;)

Offline Kobe Bryant

• View Profile