Author Topic: My mysterious new HP printer uses ink that is not available online. Any Insight?  (Read 3199 times)

Offline YitzyS

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
My printer broke and I needed one urgently. So I ran to Walmart and bought the cheapest one on the shelve, intent on using it in the interim while I wait for a good deal to come along.

The printer I bought was $45. On the box it's described as "HP, Keep it simple," with a model number of DeskJet 2752. On the box it says that it uses ink number 67, with options for 67xl or 67xxl.

Here's my issue. The model printer shows no results online, not on Amazon, not on Walmart, and not even on HP. Even more troubling - the ink model - HP 67, also gets no results on Amazon, Walmart, Staples, or HP.

This is so bizarre. Should I return the printer? I cannot keep a printer with no option to buy ink. Is there something I'm missing here?

Offline Euclid

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Meh - a printer that cheap usually would cost you more in replacement ink than just trashing it and buying a new one. Keep it and wait for a good deal to replace it.

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
Meh - a printer that cheap usually would cost you more in replacement ink than just trashing it and buying a new one. Keep it and wait for a good deal to replace it.
But what am I to do when the included cartridges run out - like tomorrow? I need at least one replacement ink to get me until the next deal...

Offline Joel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 76
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, National EE, Hertz PC, Enterprise Platinum, Avis PC
My printer broke and I needed one urgently. So I ran to Walmart and bought the cheapest one on the shelve, intent on using it in the interim while I wait for a good deal to come along.

The printer I bought was $45. On the box it's described as "HP, Keep it simple," with a model number of DeskJet 2752. On the box it says that it uses ink number 67, with options for 67xl or 67xxl.

Here's my issue. The model printer shows no results online, not on Amazon, not on Walmart, and not even on HP. Even more troubling - the ink model - HP 67, also gets no results on Amazon, Walmart, Staples, or HP.

This is so bizarre. Should I return the printer? I cannot keep a printer with no option to buy ink. Is there something I'm missing here?
https://www.quill.com/hp-67xl-black-ink-cartridge-high-yield-3ym57an140/cbs/55378095.html

HP 67 ink cartridges work with: HP ENVY 6052, 6055, 6058, 6075, HP ENVY Pro 6452, 6455, 6458. HP DeskJet 1255, 2732, 2752, 2755, DeskJet Plus 4140, 4152, 4155, 4158

Offline zevi

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile

Offline Euclid

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Are you really planning to print a lot? I doubt it would run out in a matter days. I'd say you'd have at least a couple months.

A laser jet is best for high quantity of printing jobs.

Inkjet is best for occasional one off jobs (that would usually require color.)

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
https://www.quill.com/hp-67xl-black-ink-cartridge-high-yield-3ym57an140/cbs/55378095.html

HP 67 ink cartridges work with: HP ENVY 6052, 6055, 6058, 6075, HP ENVY Pro 6452, 6455, 6458. HP DeskJet 1255, 2732, 2752, 2755, DeskJet Plus 4140, 4152, 4155, 4158
The ink is found Online, but it seems it’s sold out. Maybe They have in store.

https://www.staples.com/HP-67XL-Black-HP-67-Tri-Color-Ink-Cartridges--High-Standard-Yield--2-Pack--3YP30AN-140-/product_24430096
Thank you! I'm not sure why it didn't show up when I Googled it before.

Offline Sam Finkelstein

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Are you really planning to print a lot? I doubt it would run out in a matter days. I'd say you'd have at least a couple months.

Yes, an inkjet is a terrible investment.
Formula for success: rise early, work hard, strike oil. –J. Paul Getty

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile

I plan to print a lot but I need this for the next week or so. I'm planning on buying a better printer as soon as there is a good sale. Dan posts printers pretty often so when the right one comes along, I'll snag it. It was still worth it for me to pay $45 plus $25 for an ink cartridge for printing this month...

Offline etech0

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF

Depends, some printers come with a regular ink cartridge and some just come with a "starter" ink which has much less ink.
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Offline myi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 356
    • View Profile
  • Programs: 2Many2List!
If your using for colored then you pay a nice price for the ink.
 But if your using just for b&w copies, then there's many options and ink is very reasonable priced.
The off brand tonors can be found online for very cheap.

All this is true when you have the right printer.
 Then again the printer might cost alot, vs a cheap printer and expensive ink. It's a two way deal.

For Example I have this exact printer that I bought from Costco, https://www.amazon.com/Brother-MFCL2750DW-Monochrome-Wireless-Replenishment/dp/B0763X6TCW.

It's a solid good printer but you pay more like $250 vs a $45 printer, and toner is very cheap.
 Actually got four toners for free from one of the companies that I purchased tonor in the past from, they wanted me to try out their new product.
    Or for those who are really cheap they sell the powdered ink that you can buy and refill the cartridges yourself. (I'm caught doing that I'll be kicked out head first from home! 😜, But I still want to try that one day and see if it really works.)
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
If your using for colored then you pay a nice price for the ink.
 But if your using just for b&w copies, then there's many options and ink is very reasonable priced.
The off brand tonors can be found online for very cheap.

All this is true when you have the right printer.
 Then again the printer might cost alot, vs a cheap printer and expensive ink. It's a two way deal.

For Example I have this exact printer that I bought from Costco, https://www.amazon.com/Brother-MFCL2750DW-Monochrome-Wireless-Replenishment/dp/B0763X6TCW.

It's a solid good printer but you pay more like $250 vs a $45 printer, and toner is very cheap.
 Actually got four toners for free from one of the companies that I purchased tonor in the past from, they wanted me to try out their new product.
    Or for those who are really cheap they sell the powdered ink that you can buy and refill the cartridges yourself. (I'm caught doing that I'll be kicked out head first from home! 😜, But I still want to try that one day and see if it really works.)
I would buy that printer when it goes on sale. Or another of similar quality. I don't need color.

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
Just had a thought.

The cheap printer I bought comes with two free months of an HP ink subscription. I'm considering doing that, and hopefully finding a new printer in the next two months.

Did anyone use that service before? Does anyone know how much it costs after you go above the allotted page amount? Is it easy to cancel?

Also, does anyone know how quick they send ink? Ordered from Quill but got a notification this morning that it is delayed and wont come for two weeks.

Offline etech0

• View Profile
I would buy that printer when it goes on sale. Or another of similar quality. I don't need color.
Brother has a lot of versions of that style printer, depending on what features you need you may be fine with a cheaper one (eg: copying, feeder, duplex copying and scanning...)
We have a very similar one and very happy with it. The only thing I don't like is that you can't print a stack of envelopes, you need to feed them in one at a time.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MRAU8OE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Was about $200 two years ago.

Offline myi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 356
    • View Profile
  • Programs: 2Many2List!
Brother has a lot of versions of that style printer, depending on what features you need you may be fine with a cheaper one (eg: copying, feeder, duplex copying and scanning...)
We have a very similar one and very happy with it. The only thing I don't like is that you can't print a stack of envelopes, you need to feed them in one at a time.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MRAU8OE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Lol, were talking about the same copy machine just one model apart!

Btw did you every try sticking it inside the tray and adjusting the tray to the envelopes rather than Manuel feeding them?
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline etech0

• View Profile
Lol, were talking about the same copy machine just one model apart!

Btw did you every try sticking it inside the tray and adjusting the tray to the envelopes rather than Manuel feeding them?
:D
Yes, it wouldn't take them, and when I looked online for help lots of people said it doesn't work.

Offline Yisroel Tech

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
If you don't need Duplex for Scan and Copy (Duplex only for printing) you can go even cheaper. With this one https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0763ZCH7K/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&linkCode=ll1&tag=dbtrer6urvt6u5rey5s-20&linkId=1c30ef2b1439bc4d2f71df9b90a77176&language=en_US

Offline Yehudaa

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 111
    • View Profile
If you don't need Duplex for Scan and Copy (Duplex only for printing) you can go even cheaper. With this one https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0763ZCH7K/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&linkCode=ll1&tag=dbtrer6urvt6u5rey5s-20&linkId=1c30ef2b1439bc4d2f71df9b90a77176&language=en_US

I'm a big fan of those printers. Just buying another one now, though I think I'm going to get a DCPL2550 instead of an MFC because it seems a but cheaper and I don't use fax anyway.

They print faster than any other printer that I've seen in that proce range, and non-OEM toner is super cheap.

Offline Yisroel Tech

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
I'm a big fan of those printers. Just buying another one now, though I think I'm going to get a DCPL2550 instead of an MFC because it seems a but cheaper and I don't use fax anyway.

They print faster than any other printer that I've seen in that proce range, and non-OEM toner is super cheap.
What I'm afraid of the DCPL2550 (since I haven't used it yet), if it's also that easy to reset toner counter.

Offline Yehudaa

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 111
    • View Profile
What I'm afraid of the DCPL2550 (since I haven't used it yet), if it's also that easy to reset toner counter.

I would kinda assume that if it can be done on the MFC then it can be done on the DCP. My (very limited) understanding is that they're largely the same minus fax and a 2 page/min difference. Is that a bad assumption?