Topic Wiki

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1h351zWfi0LVVljbRN_wFgzliszUVaWWpJlpPqqNXCIk/edit

PM @S209 with any suggestions on how to improve this survey. Please forward to as many people as you can.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The Mayo has two tests, COR2G (to be discontinued 6/10) and VCOV2 (its successor).
The bikur cholim test was the OLD COR2G test (it will say this on the results)
for COR2G test:
Less than 1.01 is negative
between 1.01 and 1.20 is indecisive
more than 1.2 is positive

« Last edited by junion on May 31, 2020, 07:54:25 PM »

Poll

Did you have antibodies?

Symptomatic, previously confirmed COVID positive, positive for antibodies
23 (13.4%)
Asymptomatic, previously confirmed COVID positive, positive for antibodies
1 (0.6%)
Symptomatic but no previous positive test, positive for antibodies
56 (32.6%)
No symptoms or previous positive test, positive for antibodies
11 (6.4%)
Symptomatic, previously confirmed COVID positive, negative for antibodies
2 (1.2%)
Asymptomatic, previously confirmed COVID positive, negative for antibodies
0 (0%)
Symptomatic but no previous positive test, negative for antibodies
24 (14%)
No symptoms or previous positive test, negative for antibodies
55 (32%)

Total Members Voted: 166

Author Topic: Did you test for antibodies? POLL  (Read 53713 times)

Offline Yard sale

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Did you test for antibodies? POLL
« Reply #240 on: May 25, 2020, 10:22:58 PM »
I don't see where that link refers to sensitivity or specificity rates. I also had symptoms (but negative test at the time), and the Bikur Cholim/Mayo Clinic COR2G test was negative for antibodies. Can't find anything online re sensitivity (i.e. false negative rate), only anecdotal reports of unreasonably high false-negatives in Lakewood and Mayo Clinic's announcement that they are switching to the new test with an EUA.

I believe this is it

Online Euclid

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: May 25, 2020, 10:56:57 PM »
It would make sense that we’d start seeing more negatives now because at first it was only people testing with the assumption that they had the virus. Now people like my brother who don’t think they’ve had it are testing because it’s a requirement for reentering Yeshiva and many shuls.
In other words, this testing cohort is more representative of the general population?

Offline S209

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #242 on: May 25, 2020, 10:58:35 PM »
In other words, this testing cohort was more representative of the general population?
Perhaps. Though if a significant percentage of people tested early, that would make the numbers higher than what the numbers are showing now. The question is how many tested early and how many are testing now.
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline ckey

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: May 25, 2020, 11:19:45 PM »

I believe this is it

That's probably what they meant, though I don't see that at the link provided.

Also, that is a rate comparing their test to a previous positive or negative PCR test result.  That isn't an indication of the accuracy of this test for numerous reasons. (Edit) Actually, that's just a comparison from PCR to IgM (antibody indicating current infection) which is not the IgG (antibody indicating prior infection) test being discussed at all.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 11:23:27 PM by ckey »

Offline rcarentals

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz 1# Plat, Sabre, Travel Agent
« Reply #244 on: May 26, 2020, 01:57:16 AM »
Bikur Cholim's test from last Sunday was with the old test, as per my results sheet.

+1 - mine shows as "COR2G".
I got a negative, but pretty confident it's accurate.
Do not boast for tomorrow, Because you do not know what the day will bear.(Mishlei C27.V1)

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: May 26, 2020, 02:14:18 AM »
I don't see where that link refers to sensitivity or specificity rates. I also had symptoms (but negative test at the time), and the Bikur Cholim/Mayo Clinic COR2G test was negative for antibodies. Can't find anything online re sensitivity (i.e. false negative rate), only anecdotal reports of unreasonably high false-negatives in Lakewood and Mayo Clinic's announcement that they are switching to the new test with an EUA.

http://www.epitopediagnostics.com/covid-19-elisa

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1386653220301360?via%3Dihub

We found a sensitivity of 86.4 %, 100 %, 86.4 %, and 77.3 % and a specificity of 96,2 %, 88,7 %, 100 %, and 100 % for the Euroimmun assay, the EDI assay, the Mikrogen assay, and the Viramed assay, respectively.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline bingit

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: May 26, 2020, 02:40:11 AM »
Me & wife took Bikur Cholim test in Lakewood, I got my results last week & by wife it says they did not get results yet, did anyone else that did Bikkur cholim test not get results?

Offline bingit

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: May 26, 2020, 02:41:21 AM »
I was positive (was sick for 10 days after Purim) my number was 2.50 does anyone know what that means with the Mayo test?

Offline Yard sale

• View Profile
« Reply #248 on: May 26, 2020, 03:17:21 AM »
Relatively high level of antibodies

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #249 on: May 26, 2020, 03:18:43 AM »
Relatively high level of antibodies
Honestly I’m confused by the different numbers. What do the numbers on the various tests mean? Do you know?
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline Yard sale

• View Profile
« Reply #250 on: May 26, 2020, 09:02:30 AM »
Honestly I’m confused by the different numbers. What do the numbers on the various tests mean? Do you know?
Not really. All I know is that ELISA (the Mayo test method used) measures the standard deviation of the sample and expresses it as a number (sample/control) where above 1.2 is considered conclusive. As you go higher there is a higher presence of antibodies detected. 2.5 would be two and a half standard deviations. I’m not familiar with the upper range. I know quite a few positives were in the upper ones.I’ll leave the rest to those who are more familiar.

Offline etech0

• View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
« Reply #251 on: May 26, 2020, 09:10:01 AM »
Not really. All I know is that ELISA (the Mayo test method used) measures the standard deviation of the sample and expresses it as a number (sample/control) where above 1.2 is considered conclusive. As you go higher there is a higher presence of antibodies detected. 2.5 would be two and a half standard deviations. I’m not familiar with the upper range. I know quite a few positives were in the upper ones.I’ll leave the rest to those who are more familiar.
I have a relative who got >4.4
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Offline JuryDuty

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: May 26, 2020, 06:09:18 PM »
4 people in my family tested with bikur cholim - mayo.

1. Symptoms: loss of smell. Results: "pending"
2. No symptoms, inconclusive.
3. No symptoms, negative.
4. No symptoms, positive (1.86).
Jury Duty: Nothing to do there but chill and write a TR. Kinda like the beach but missing the view and ocean breeze.

Offline JuryDuty

• View Profile
« Reply #253 on: May 26, 2020, 07:44:51 PM »
Per their website Mayo is using a test without even an EUA and claimed specifity of around 85%
https://www.mayocliniclabs.com/test-catalog/Performance/609035

http://www.epitopediagnostics.com/covid-19-elisa

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1386653220301360?via%3Dihub

Dan posted these pages demonstrating that mayo clinic is only 88 percent accurate. Anyone can help interpret these pages?@biobook?
Jury Duty: Nothing to do there but chill and write a TR. Kinda like the beach but missing the view and ocean breeze.

Offline ari3

• View Profile
« Reply #254 on: May 26, 2020, 08:47:43 PM »
Me & wife took Bikur Cholim test in Lakewood, I got my results last week & by wife it says they did not get results yet, did anyone else that did Bikkur cholim test not get results?
same here. emailed them twice and was told to keep checking periodicaly

Offline biobook

• View Profile
« Reply #255 on: May 26, 2020, 10:58:23 PM »

Dan posted these pages demonstrating that mayo clinic is only 88 percent accurate. Anyone can help interpret these pages?@biobook?
I really don't know anything about this yet, but I'm willing to try to figure it out.  I'm not sure what you're asking, so I'll answer one question that I see above, and if you have others, let me know and I'll try to look into that tomorrow.  But if someone really understands it, please chime in.

What does the number on the positive antibody test mean?

From what I can understand, it should be considered meaningless. 

The EDI IgG says "This kit is intended for the qualitative detection of human anti-COVID-19 antibody..." and the Mayo test says "This test provides qualitative detection of serum IgG-class antibodies against severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2)" https://www.mayocliniclabs.com/test-catalog/Overview/609035

Qualitative, not quantitative.  Although the test spits out a number, it should only be understood as a yes/no answer.  Like a pregnancy test, where the line turns blue if you're pregnant. The intensity of the blue color may differ in different cases, but darker blue doesn't mean that you're further along in pregnancy, or that you have twins instead of a singleton.  It just means Yes!  Mazel tov!

So you're wondering (as am I) why there's a number in the first place?  I think that the test really is meant to measure the quantitative amount of antibody present, but for whatever reason, they don't think it's giving a reliable result.  It may have to do with the test procedure (maybe the number changes if it sits around a few minutes longer before it's read) or it might have to do with the antibodies in the blood (perhaps the amount naturally varies over the course of the day).  (I'm making these up.)  I'm sure that they're working on developing a reliable quantitative test, but for now, they seem to be saying to just consider the result positive, and ignore the number.  Or some tests may not even give you a number, and just say Positive. 

Here's a worthwhile discussion of the value of the antibody tests at this time.
https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/05/21/857961304/getting-an-antibody-test-for-the-coronavirus-heres-what-it-wont-tell-you

Offline JuryDuty

• View Profile
« Reply #256 on: May 26, 2020, 11:02:17 PM »
I was asking if you could look at the 3 links Dan posted and interpret them for the laymen. He copied those links to demonstrate that mayo clinic is only 88% accurate.

Offline etech0

• View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
« Reply #257 on: May 26, 2020, 11:05:05 PM »
I really don't know anything about this yet, but I'm willing to try to figure it out.  I'm not sure what you're asking, so I'll answer one question that I see above, and if you have others, let me know and I'll try to look into that tomorrow.  But if someone really understands it, please chime in.

What does the number on the positive antibody test mean?

From what I can understand, it should be considered meaningless. 

The EDI IgG says "This kit is intended for the qualitative detection of human anti-COVID-19 antibody..." and the Mayo test says "This test provides qualitative detection of serum IgG-class antibodies against severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2)" https://www.mayocliniclabs.com/test-catalog/Overview/609035

Qualitative, not quantitative.  Although the test spits out a number, it should only be understood as a yes/no answer.  Like a pregnancy test, where the line turns blue if you're pregnant. The intensity of the blue color may differ in different cases, but darker blue doesn't mean that you're further along in pregnancy, or that you have twins instead of a singleton.  It just means Yes!  Mazel tov!

So you're wondering (as am I) why there's a number in the first place?  I think that the test really is meant to measure the quantitative amount of antibody present, but for whatever reason, they don't think it's giving a reliable result.  It may have to do with the test procedure (maybe the number changes if it sits around a few minutes longer before it's read) or it might have to do with the antibodies in the blood (perhaps the amount naturally varies over the course of the day).  (I'm making these up.)  I'm sure that they're working on developing a reliable quantitative test, but for now, they seem to be saying to just consider the result positive, and ignore the number.  Or some tests may not even give you a number, and just say Positive. 

Here's a worthwhile discussion of the value of the antibody tests at this time.
https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/05/21/857961304/getting-an-antibody-test-for-the-coronavirus-heres-what-it-wont-tell-you
Interesting, thanks!

What are your thoughts re: a situation like this:
For those who got a negative result, did you look at the paperwork to check if you have some antibodies, but not 'enough' to be considered positive?
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #258 on: May 26, 2020, 11:05:46 PM »
I was asking if you could look at the 3 links Dan posted and interpret them for the laymen. He copied those links to demonstrate that mayo clinic is only 88% accurate.
Not quite.
https://www.dansdeals.com/more/dans-commentary/news-roundup/covid-19-news-roundup-5-25-20-super-spreaders-second-wave-immunity-passports-el-al-turkey-worldwide-restrictions-roundup-amare-stoudemire/

I said "88% specificity for COVID-19."
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: May 26, 2020, 11:49:26 PM »
Not quite.
https://www.dansdeals.com/more/dans-commentary/news-roundup/covid-19-news-roundup-5-25-20-super-spreaders-second-wave-immunity-passports-el-al-turkey-worldwide-restrictions-roundup-amare-stoudemire/

I said "88% specificity for COVID-19."

Which means that in 12% of the cases the person might have antibodies to something else? A different Coronavirus?
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)