Author Topic: Dropping Antibody Levels  (Read 16095 times)

Online Traveler718

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Dropping Antibody Levels
« Reply #195 on: October 20, 2020, 10:31:07 AM »
When I took the Roche test back in June, it was just pos/neg. My son was tested about a month ago and was now given a quantitative result (#Dan). I believe it was around 130, which they said was considered fairly high. I believe anything over about 80 translated to positive, but may be slightly off on the numbers.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime Plat, DL Dirt, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Avis Chairman, National EE, Hertz PC
« Reply #196 on: October 20, 2020, 10:34:03 AM »
When I took the Roche test back in June, it was just pos/neg. My son was tested about a month ago and was now given a quantitative result (#Dan). I believe it was around 130, which they said was considered fairly high. I believe anything over about 80 translated to positive, but may be slightly off on the numbers.
Where did he take it?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Online skyguy918

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: October 20, 2020, 10:43:09 AM »
When I took that test they didn't give a number, just pos/neg
I believe they switched over from a yes/no to a quantitative test at some point. The results say that 1.00 and up is positive - ie likely that you were exposed to the virus or something like that. But I'm trying to figure out if there's some number that translates to an immunity threshold. Within my family, we ranged from low 40's to nearly 200.

Offline meme

• View Profile
« Reply #198 on: October 20, 2020, 10:45:35 AM »
Did anyone test again a week or two later and yield a higher quantitative result?

Online etech0

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
« Reply #199 on: October 20, 2020, 10:48:06 AM »
I took one test in May (idk which but it was the one where 15 is pos) and got 7, then I took the Roche test in July and it was pos. For whatever that's worth.
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Online Traveler718

• View Profile
« Reply #200 on: October 20, 2020, 11:02:11 AM »
Where did he take it?

With our local (frum) family doctor, the same one who gave me the test in June. He's also the medical director at a large frum medical facility in Brooklyn, so he's extremely well-connected and knowledgeable. He tested my son on Sept. 8.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime Plat, DL Dirt, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Avis Chairman, National EE, Hertz PC
« Reply #201 on: October 20, 2020, 11:03:21 AM »
With our local (frum) family doctor, the same one who gave me the test in June. He's also the medical director at a large frum medical facility in Brooklyn, so he's extremely well-connected and knowledgeable.
I wonder if Quest/Labcorp offices are giving quantitative results these days. Anyone know?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline 4yourinfo

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: October 20, 2020, 11:06:17 AM »
I took one test in May (idk which but it was the one where 15 is pos) and got 7, then I took the Roche test in July and it was pos. For whatever that's worth.
You may have been exposed - which boosted your antibodies

Online etech0

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
« Reply #203 on: October 20, 2020, 11:09:53 AM »
You may have been exposed - which boosted your antibodies
Do you mean between the two tests?
I had some symptoms in March but didn't test for the virus
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Offline Joe4007

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: October 20, 2020, 12:00:18 PM »
I wonder if Quest/Labcorp offices are giving quantitative results these days. Anyone know?
Tested with Quest last week and didn't get a quantitative result.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: October 20, 2020, 12:16:42 PM »
Tested with Quest last week and didn't get a quantitative result.
Bummer, thanks.
Anyone use Labcorp recently?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile

Offline biobook

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: October 20, 2020, 12:54:15 PM »
Looks like clinical trials only :(
https://www.labcorp.com/coronavirus-disease-covid-19/news/labcorp-launches-quantitative-antibody-test-assess-effectiveness-covid-19-vaccines-clinical-trials
And that press release you posted says "... the level of antibodies needed to be considered immune to SARS-CoV-2 is yet to be determined" so even if you had a number, you wouldn't know if it met some threshold for immunity.

The only way to know what level of antibody prevents re-infection is to wait for re-infections to occur, and examine the antibody level at that time.  There have been only 23 (?) confirmed reinfections worldwide.  We discussed one of these last week:

"The Nevada man, considered an essential worker, started feeling ill in late March, with a sore throat, cough, headache, nausea and diarrhea...He went for testing on April 18 and his infection with the coronavirus was confirmed....

"On May 31, he went to an urgent care center, reporting fever, headache, dizziness, cough, nausea and diarrhea. On June 5, he went to see a doctor who found his oxygen levels dangerously low and had him hospitalized. Again, the man tested positive for the virus, even though he still had antibodies to the virus in his bloodstream, Kerwin said."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2020/10/12/covid-reinfection-virus-can-strike-twice-worse-second-time-nevada-man/5965917002/

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: October 20, 2020, 01:15:23 PM »
And that press release you posted says "... the level of antibodies needed to be considered immune to SARS-CoV-2 is yet to be determined" so even if you had a number, you wouldn't know if it met some threshold for immunity.

The only way to know what level of antibody prevents re-infection is to wait for re-infections to occur, and examine the antibody level at that time.  There have been only 23 (?) confirmed reinfections worldwide.  We discussed one of these last week:

"The Nevada man, considered an essential worker, started feeling ill in late March, with a sore throat, cough, headache, nausea and diarrhea...He went for testing on April 18 and his infection with the coronavirus was confirmed....

"On May 31, he went to an urgent care center, reporting fever, headache, dizziness, cough, nausea and diarrhea. On June 5, he went to see a doctor who found his oxygen levels dangerously low and had him hospitalized. Again, the man tested positive for the virus, even though he still had antibodies to the virus in his bloodstream, Kerwin said."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2020/10/12/covid-reinfection-virus-can-strike-twice-worse-second-time-nevada-man/5965917002/
Sure, but it would allow you to track the movement of your own antibodies over time.

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: October 20, 2020, 07:00:21 PM »
Anyone know the relative scale/range for the Roche test that NYC Health and Hospitals administers?

I took their antibody test yesterday and got results within 3 hours. Negative for antibodies (I tested .10, where anything .99 or less is negative).

The result page didnít say which test it was, it was called ďCOVID-19 Total AntibodyĒ.

ETA:

The results included the following two links which imply itís the Roche test. The PDFs in the links donít seem to provide information on how to interpret the test result numbers:

Providers: https://www.fda.gov/media/137603/download
Recipients: https://www.fda.gov/media/137604/download
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 07:06:48 PM by AsherO »