Author Topic: Dropping Antibody Levels  (Read 61000 times)

Online Traveler718

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Re: Dropping Antibody Levels
« Reply #200 on: October 20, 2020, 11:02:11 AM »
Where did he take it?

With our local (frum) family doctor, the same one who gave me the test in June. He's also the medical director at a large frum medical facility in Brooklyn, so he's extremely well-connected and knowledgeable. He tested my son on Sept. 8.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #201 on: October 20, 2020, 11:03:21 AM »
With our local (frum) family doctor, the same one who gave me the test in June. He's also the medical director at a large frum medical facility in Brooklyn, so he's extremely well-connected and knowledgeable.
I wonder if Quest/Labcorp offices are giving quantitative results these days. Anyone know?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline 4yourinfo

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: October 20, 2020, 11:06:17 AM »
I took one test in May (idk which but it was the one where 15 is pos) and got 7, then I took the Roche test in July and it was pos. For whatever that's worth.
You may have been exposed - which boosted your antibodies

Offline etech0

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
« Reply #203 on: October 20, 2020, 11:09:53 AM »
You may have been exposed - which boosted your antibodies
Do you mean between the two tests?
I had some symptoms in March but didn't test for the virus
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Offline Joe4007

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: October 20, 2020, 12:00:18 PM »
I wonder if Quest/Labcorp offices are giving quantitative results these days. Anyone know?
Tested with Quest last week and didn't get a quantitative result.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #205 on: October 20, 2020, 12:16:42 PM »
Tested with Quest last week and didn't get a quantitative result.
Bummer, thanks.
Anyone use Labcorp recently?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile

Offline biobook

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: October 20, 2020, 12:54:15 PM »
Looks like clinical trials only :(
https://www.labcorp.com/coronavirus-disease-covid-19/news/labcorp-launches-quantitative-antibody-test-assess-effectiveness-covid-19-vaccines-clinical-trials
And that press release you posted says "... the level of antibodies needed to be considered immune to SARS-CoV-2 is yet to be determined" so even if you had a number, you wouldn't know if it met some threshold for immunity.

The only way to know what level of antibody prevents re-infection is to wait for re-infections to occur, and examine the antibody level at that time.  There have been only 23 (?) confirmed reinfections worldwide.  We discussed one of these last week:

"The Nevada man, considered an essential worker, started feeling ill in late March, with a sore throat, cough, headache, nausea and diarrhea...He went for testing on April 18 and his infection with the coronavirus was confirmed....

"On May 31, he went to an urgent care center, reporting fever, headache, dizziness, cough, nausea and diarrhea. On June 5, he went to see a doctor who found his oxygen levels dangerously low and had him hospitalized. Again, the man tested positive for the virus, even though he still had antibodies to the virus in his bloodstream, Kerwin said."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2020/10/12/covid-reinfection-virus-can-strike-twice-worse-second-time-nevada-man/5965917002/

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: October 20, 2020, 01:15:23 PM »
And that press release you posted says "... the level of antibodies needed to be considered immune to SARS-CoV-2 is yet to be determined" so even if you had a number, you wouldn't know if it met some threshold for immunity.

The only way to know what level of antibody prevents re-infection is to wait for re-infections to occur, and examine the antibody level at that time.  There have been only 23 (?) confirmed reinfections worldwide.  We discussed one of these last week:

"The Nevada man, considered an essential worker, started feeling ill in late March, with a sore throat, cough, headache, nausea and diarrhea...He went for testing on April 18 and his infection with the coronavirus was confirmed....

"On May 31, he went to an urgent care center, reporting fever, headache, dizziness, cough, nausea and diarrhea. On June 5, he went to see a doctor who found his oxygen levels dangerously low and had him hospitalized. Again, the man tested positive for the virus, even though he still had antibodies to the virus in his bloodstream, Kerwin said."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2020/10/12/covid-reinfection-virus-can-strike-twice-worse-second-time-nevada-man/5965917002/
Sure, but it would allow you to track the movement of your own antibodies over time.

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: October 20, 2020, 07:00:21 PM »
Anyone know the relative scale/range for the Roche test that NYC Health and Hospitals administers?

I took their antibody test yesterday and got results within 3 hours. Negative for antibodies (I tested .10, where anything .99 or less is negative).

The result page didn’t say which test it was, it was called “COVID-19 Total Antibody”.

ETA:

The results included the following two links which imply it’s the Roche test. The PDFs in the links don’t seem to provide information on how to interpret the test result numbers:

Providers: https://www.fda.gov/media/137603/download
Recipients: https://www.fda.gov/media/137604/download
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 07:06:48 PM by AsherO »
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline meme

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: October 20, 2020, 07:20:27 PM »
I took their antibody test yesterday and got results within 3 hours. Negative for antibodies (I tested .10, where anything .99 or less is negative).

The result page didn’t say which test it was, it was called “COVID-19 Total Antibody”.

ETA:

The results included the following two links which imply it’s the Roche test. The PDFs in the links don’t seem to provide information on how to interpret the test result numbers:

Providers: https://www.fda.gov/media/137603/download
Recipients: https://www.fda.gov/media/137604/download
Where did you take this test?

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: October 20, 2020, 07:23:02 PM »
Where did you take this test?

Kings County hospital’s walk-in COVID testing. It’s in tents outside the D building (I think that’s what it’s called).
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline username

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
  • Programs: ┌──────────────────┐ │───> Ữ₴ΣЯИΛΜӘ <─── │ └──────────────────┘
« Reply #212 on: October 20, 2020, 10:58:43 PM »
Labcor  @ walgreens just says postive or negative.
^^^

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: October 20, 2020, 11:03:24 PM »
Labcor  @ walgreens just says postive or negative.
Which test was it?

Offline biobook

• View Profile
« Reply #214 on: October 21, 2020, 01:23:28 AM »
Sure, but it would allow you to track the movement of your own antibodies over time.
So it could be fun, like some people track their weight over time, or blood pressure, or fitbit activity.   But @skyguy918 wondered "if there's some number that translates to an immunity threshold" and we seem to be far from knowing that.  Two reasons: We don't know what level of antibodies allows re-infection (or if cases like that Nevada one are rare flukes).  And we do know that even if antibodies become undetectable, there may well be memory B cells that are able to quickly ramp up antibody production if we're reinfected (at least this is true for some other diseases), as well as T cells that may prevent a second illness. 

I found a couple of clinical trials that are trying to figure out this relationship between antibody level and immunity.

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04540484?id=NCT04540484&draw=2&rank=1
COVID-19 IgG Formation in Physicians at ALGH and Their Household Members
"...To date, there have been no studies confirming that IgG antibody formation confers immunity, but studies are ongoing. Furthermore, data is lacking showing conclusive persistence of (possibly protective) antibodies over time." So they're studying physicians at a particular hospital in Illinois, where there are a lot of covid patients treated.  The doctors' antibody level will be measured every 3 months, and they'll also be able to relate this to any covid (re)infections that develop in the doctors.  That study is expected to take a year.

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04411147?id=NCT04411147&draw=2&rank=1
A Longitudinal Study of COVID-19 Sequelae and Immunity
"Objective: To learn about any long-term medical problems that people who have recovered from COVID-19 might have, and whether they develop an immune response to SARS-CoV-2 that provides protection against reinfection."  They'll assay antibody levels every 6 months, for 3 years.   This one is recruiting 900 participants, and anyone who meets the criteria is welcome to apply.  You get free antibody tests!  I don't know if they reimburse you for transportation costs to the NIH lab in Bethesda MD, but you can use points and get an unusual TR out of it! 

Online ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #215 on: October 21, 2020, 07:12:59 AM »
DW just got her test results from Hadassah Medical in EY. Her IgG number shows about 2x what her most recent test taken in the US showed. (Same scale. Over 15.0 considered positive).
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline username

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
  • Programs: ┌──────────────────┐ │───> Ữ₴ΣЯИΛΜӘ <─── │ └──────────────────┘
« Reply #216 on: October 21, 2020, 09:44:11 AM »
^^^

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #217 on: October 21, 2020, 10:22:43 AM »
So it could be fun, like some people track their weight over time, or blood pressure, or fitbit activity.   But @skyguy918 wondered "if there's some number that translates to an immunity threshold" and we seem to be far from knowing that.  Two reasons: We don't know what level of antibodies allows re-infection (or if cases like that Nevada one are rare flukes).  And we do know that even if antibodies become undetectable, there may well be memory B cells that are able to quickly ramp up antibody production if we're reinfected (at least this is true for some other diseases), as well as T cells that may prevent a second illness. 
Yeah, so I'm not wondering about whether an actual threshold has been scientifically established. The facts on the ground are that some (not the CDC, or most government entities in the US) are assuming that there is some threshold and there are numbers being used as a threshold for each antibody test. Like Israel for example:
https://www.dansdeals.com/more/dans-commentary/news-roundup/israel-travel-news-roundup-flight-sales-open-antibody-tests-accepted-el-al-status-extension-uae-bilateral-agreement-etihad-israel-site-new-era-inshallah/

Another example: The most vocal KGH doctor throughout the pandemic (as in vocal about the need to take it seriously, the need to shut things down, etc.) holds strongly of antibody immunity, to the point that he doesn't where he (I assume being positive for antibodies) doesn't war a mask most of the time despite his practice probably being one of the primary testing sites for the frum community. When I tested positive and and he was telling me to quarantine my family, I asked about my wife (who had just retaken antibody test at his practice a week earlier) and he said with a recent positive immunity level antibody test she doesn't have to quarantine. I don't know which test he uses or what his threshold is, but I know my family's numbers for the Roche test that NYC Health and Hospitals is currently administering, hence my question. Realistically it's not changing my behavior, but I am curious.

Offline biobook

• View Profile
« Reply #218 on: October 21, 2020, 07:53:08 PM »
Yeah, so I'm not wondering about whether an actual threshold has been scientifically established. The facts on the ground are that some (not the CDC, or most government entities in the US) are assuming that there is some threshold and there are numbers being used as a threshold for each antibody test. Like Israel for example:
https://www.dansdeals.com/more/dans-commentary/news-roundup/israel-travel-news-roundup-flight-sales-open-antibody-tests-accepted-el-al-status-extension-uae-bilateral-agreement-etihad-israel-site-new-era-inshallah/

Another example: The most vocal KGH doctor throughout the pandemic (as in vocal about the need to take it seriously, the need to shut things down, etc.) holds strongly of antibody immunity, to the point that he doesn't where he (I assume being positive for antibodies) doesn't war a mask most of the time despite his practice probably being one of the primary testing sites for the frum community. When I tested positive and and he was telling me to quarantine my family, I asked about my wife (who had just retaken antibody test at his practice a week earlier) and he said with a recent positive immunity level antibody test she doesn't have to quarantine. I don't know which test he uses or what his threshold is, but I know my family's numbers for the Roche test that NYC Health and Hospitals is currently administering, hence my question. Realistically it's not changing my behavior, but I am curious.

Those who study viruses suspect that immunity will be similar to other known coronaviruses, where immunity lasts a year or two.  Some might be reinfected as soon as 2 months (as we've seen one case), while most will probably be immune for 6 months to a year.

The positive antibody test just confirms Yes, you've had covid, either quite recently or a short time ago when you felt sick.  If you want to act based on assumptions, then it makes more sense to base it on time passed since infection, and not on specific antibody numbers, since we don't know how/if those relate to immunity.  I would guess that it was the recency of infection that led the doctor to assume that he and your wife had some immunity.

The Israel Dept of Health refers to numbers used by the companies who developed the test as the threshold for concluding that the test is positive (or borderline).  That's a threshold for measurable antibodies, not a threshold for immunity.

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #219 on: October 21, 2020, 08:58:31 PM »
Those who study viruses suspect that immunity will be similar to other known coronaviruses, where immunity lasts a year or two.  Some might be reinfected as soon as 2 months (as we've seen one case), while most will probably be immune for 6 months to a year.

The positive antibody test just confirms Yes, you've had covid, either quite recently or a short time ago when you felt sick.  If you want to act based on assumptions, then it makes more sense to base it on time passed since infection, and not on specific antibody numbers, since we don't know how/if those relate to immunity.  I would guess that it was the recency of infection that led the doctor to assume that he and your wife had some immunity.

The Israel Dept of Health refers to numbers used by the companies who developed the test as the threshold for concluding that the test is positive (or borderline).  That's a threshold for measurable antibodies, not a threshold for immunity.
Your assumption (bolded) is incorrect. She was COVID positive sometime between Purim and Pesach. She tested positive for antibodies (Mt Sinai) with a result she was told was relatively a high number. When she tested more recently (probably late Sep) with this local doctor, he told her the number was a little over immunity level (ie implying that there had been a drop).

Re Israel, what use is a positive/negative antibody result if it doesn't imply anything about current state of infection or potential immunity? I don't see how it's useful unless you assume some level of immunity.