Author Topic: Dropping Antibody Levels  (Read 61315 times)

Offline Shmulie

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
Re: Dropping Antibody Levels
« Reply #400 on: April 16, 2021, 11:56:58 AM »
How long does it take to get results for the LabCorp test

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #401 on: April 16, 2021, 12:11:01 PM »
How long does it take to get results for the LabCorp test
For the quant test? A couple days.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Shmulie

• View Profile
« Reply #402 on: April 19, 2021, 11:16:15 AM »
For the quant test? A couple days.

I got the labcorp test done on Friday afternoon and just got the results
apparently I have >250.00, no idea if that's high or not but I think >80 is considered positive

For reference I tested positive for Covid about a week after purim 2020, so this is after a year

« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 11:21:02 AM by Shmulie »

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #403 on: April 19, 2021, 11:19:38 AM »
I got the labcorp test done on Friday afternoon and just got the results
apparently I have >250.00, no idea if that's high or not but I think >80 is considered positive
Greater than 0.8 is positive.
Greater than 250 is off the charts high.

I had 192.6 in January, some 11 months after I had COVID. I'm pretty sure I'd test at greater than 250 now after bring vaccinated.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Shmulie

• View Profile
« Reply #404 on: April 19, 2021, 11:21:58 AM »
Greater than 0.8 is positive.
Greater than 250 is off the charts high.

I had 192.6 in January, some 11 months after I had COVID. I'm pretty sure I'd test at greater than 250 now after bring vaccinated.

You're right I didn't notice the "."

Offline Lurker

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #405 on: June 23, 2021, 09:08:47 AM »
A relative got Covid in Mar/Apr 2020. Antibodies test in Mar 21 came back at 279. Antibodies test 3.5 months later came back at 376. AFAIK, it's the same test. Has anyone seen this happen before? Any links that would explain how this could happen?
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline Moshe123

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Lost
« Reply #406 on: June 23, 2021, 10:08:15 AM »
A relative got Covid in Mar/Apr 2020. Antibodies test in Mar 21 came back at 279. Antibodies test 3.5 months later came back at 376. AFAIK, it's the same test. Has anyone seen this happen before? Any links that would explain how this could happen?

Exposure?

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #407 on: June 23, 2021, 10:14:46 AM »
Exposure?

It's a possible theory. I'm looking for any data to support it. Or any data at all, really.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: June 23, 2021, 10:39:18 AM »

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #409 on: June 23, 2021, 11:56:36 AM »
Solid theory.

Something @ExGingi has been talking about for a long time now. I'd be very interested to see if anyone is collecting data on this. May bring exposure parties back en vogue (a la chickenpox parties).

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: June 23, 2021, 12:02:31 PM »
Something @ExGingi has been talking about for a long time now. I'd be very interested to see if anyone is collecting data on this. May bring exposure parties back en vogue (a la chickenpox parties).
@biobook

Offline biobook

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: June 23, 2021, 12:33:14 PM »
@biobook
The first thing that comes to mind is that a change in antibody tests from 279 to 376 is not necessarily a significant increase.  What you'd want to know is how much variability is there in antibody levels in general.  For example, if antibodies tend to be higher in the morning than in the afternoon, then you could find a seeming "increase" in antibodies by measuring in the afternoon the first time and then in the morning on the second test, 3 months later.  Doesn't mean antibodies are getting higher, just that you've looked at a different point in the cycling levels. 

I don't know how antibodies normally cycle, but I do remember posting something along these lines a while back, in response to something.  Maybe @TimT can find it?  I vaguely remember a graph showing several individuals and measurements of their antibody levels at different times, and it was not a straight line. 

The second thought that comes to mind is that it does take a while for maximal antibody response to develop after an infection, so if the first test was soon after getting sick, then the second test might simply be showing the natural continuation of that antibody response.  Again, this is a vague memory, but I think I had posted something about this, that it took some time to develop.  Can't remember if it was a few weeks, or a few months.  Maybe @TimT can find that too?

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: June 23, 2021, 12:33:37 PM »

Can exposure parties for people with antibodies lead to new mutations? There are known/extant mutations that evade antibodies, fortunately they haven't been significantly more transmissible. A variant that's as transmissible as Delta combined with mutations that evade antibodies would be catastrophic, even in vaccinated societies.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline etech0

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
« Reply #413 on: June 23, 2021, 12:39:07 PM »
I did not have (enough to be considered positive) antibodies at 2 months, but did at 4. Anecdotal, yes.
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #414 on: June 23, 2021, 12:44:02 PM »

The first point is interesting. I have to find out more about the timing. The second point is actually why I'm so curious. In this particular case, the first test was about one year post infection, so well after the time frame I thought it took to build up a full antibody response, and the second test was 15 months post infection. While I wouldn't be surprised if the levels stayed the same, but I'd expect any change to show a decrease, not an increase, that long post infection.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #415 on: June 23, 2021, 12:48:37 PM »
Can exposure parties for people with antibodies lead to new mutations? There are known/extant mutations that evade antibodies, fortunately they haven't been significantly more transmissible. A variant that's as transmissible as Delta combined with mutations that evade antibodies would be catastrophic, even in vaccinated societies.

IINM, variants evading antibodies is far from an exact science. I believe the only data we may have is that some variants are more likely to evade antibodies from other strains, but I haven't seen any numbers to show how common it is. There are probably a number of risks for exposure parties, but it may be an alternative for people with antibodies  who are wary of the vaccines, if the risks are found to be low enough.

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: June 23, 2021, 01:07:57 PM »
The first thing that comes to mind is that a change in antibody tests from 279 to 376 is not necessarily a significant increase.  What you'd want to know is how much variability is there in antibody levels in general.  For example, if antibodies tend to be higher in the morning than in the afternoon, then you could find a seeming "increase" in antibodies by measuring in the afternoon the first time and then in the morning on the second test, 3 months later.  Doesn't mean antibodies are getting higher, just that you've looked at a different point in the cycling levels. 

I don't know how antibodies normally cycle, but I do remember posting something along these lines a while back, in response to something.  Maybe @TimT can find it?  I vaguely remember a graph showing several individuals and measurements of their antibody levels at different times, and it was not a straight line. 

The second thought that comes to mind is that it does take a while for maximal antibody response to develop after an infection, so if the first test was soon after getting sick, then the second test might simply be showing the natural continuation of that antibody response.  Again, this is a vague memory, but I think I had posted something about this, that it took some time to develop.  Can't remember if it was a few weeks, or a few months.  Maybe @TimT can find that too?
Referring to this one ?
Here's a partial answer. Quebec researchers measured antibody levels in recovered covid patient who donated convalescent plasma repeatedly. Each line on the graph is another person.  Although antibodies decreased in general over this time period, you can see it fluctuates, and sometimes one measurement is actually higher than the previous one in that person.

https://ashpublications.org/blood/article/doi/10.1182/blood.2020008367/463996/Waning-of-SARS-CoV-2-RBD-antibodies-in
The authors ask whether the repeated donations might actually be responsible for the decline in antibodies. When @Dan suggested this a month ago, I answered that I thought it unlikely based on theoretical issues. The authors apparently did consider it possible, but also concluded that it's unlikely, based on their results here. Their reasoning was that if donating antibodies depleted the supply, then antibody levels should drop more rapidly in those who donated more times, but there was no such correlation.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: June 23, 2021, 01:17:31 PM »
IINM, variants evading antibodies is far from an exact science. I believe the only data we may have is that some variants are more likely to evade antibodies from other strains, but I haven't seen any numbers to show how common it is. There are probably a number of risks for exposure parties, but it may be an alternative for people with antibodies  who are wary of the vaccines, if the risks are found to be low enough.

Perhaps not an exact science, but certainly a scientific fact.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #418 on: June 23, 2021, 01:19:18 PM »
Perhaps not an exact science, but certainly a scientific fact.

Definitely a fact that it happens. I'd like to see data that shows how likely it is to happen.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: June 23, 2021, 01:23:52 PM »
Definitely a fact that it happens. I'd like to see data that shows how likely it is to happen.

Not sure how that can be ascertained. Do you mean comparing patient outcomes with/without mutations when all other conditions are equal?

Hard to do, because when these mutations are in the present strain, they present in everyone infected in that particular population. Also, you'd have to sequence all test subjects in the population, which is costly.