Author Topic: "it's just like the flu"  (Read 6811 times)

Offline chevron

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: "it's just like the flu"
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2020, 07:20:38 AM »
I remember a time on ddf when a @chevron was known only for his highly controversial and mildly inappropriate posts.

It's still the case

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2020, 07:22:54 AM »
In the U.S. alone, seasonal flu has already caused 32 million illnesses, 310,000 hospitalizations and 18,000 deaths this 2019-2020 season, according to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), making the mortality rate for this season 0. 5%. The incubation period for the flu I 1-2 days on average, so people know they are sick relatively quickly making it easier to identify and contain outbreaks

That's nothing compared to covid19, 90k+ USA death's

Offline S209

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2020, 09:50:36 AM »
In the U.S. alone, seasonal flu has already caused 32 million illnesses, 310,000 hospitalizations and 18,000 deaths this 2019-2020 season, according to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), making the CFR, not IFR for this season 0. 5%. The incubation period for the flu I 1-2 days on average, so people know they are sick relatively quickly making it easier to identify and contain outbreaks
FTFY but fair on the amount of recorded illnesses and hospitalizations
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2020, 10:57:20 AM »
That's nothing compared to covid19, 90k+ USA death's
Never mind that it took massive mitigation efforts to keep COVID19 numbers that low.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline avromie7

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2020, 11:55:03 AM »
Never mind that it took massive mitigation efforts to keep COVID19 numbers that low.
If we focused on protecting the elderly and at risk population instead of locking everything down and forcing nursing homes to take COVID+ patients the number of deaths would be significantly lower.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2020, 11:58:53 AM »
If we focused on protecting the elderly and at risk population instead of locking everything down and forcing nursing homes to take COVID+ patients the number of deaths would be significantly lower.
Except the "elderly" is 55+.
But yes, Cuomo failed spectacularly with nursing homes.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline keepsmiling123

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UR, SPG, MR, UA
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2020, 12:07:07 PM »

He failed miserably with SNFs and now making the nursing homes his scapegoat for his often conflicting and ill advised policies. Also continuing to hurt them even more financially i.e. testing staff twice a week and saying not being covered by the state, all the responsibility of the facility.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2020, 12:14:32 PM »
He failed miserably with SNFs and now making the nursing homes his scapegoat for his often conflicting and ill advised policies. Also continuing to hurt them even more financially i.e. testing staff twice a week and saying not being covered by the state, all the responsibility of the facility.
https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=116258

Offline avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2020, 12:16:04 PM »
Does it really start at 55 or are people above 55 more likely to have other risk factors?

ETA: Based on ny.gov data, 56% of deaths between 60-69 had hypertension.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 12:19:11 PM by avromie7 »

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2020, 12:29:30 PM »
Does it really start at 55 or are people above 55 more likely to have other risk factors?

ETA: Based on ny.gov data, 56% of deaths between 60-69 had hypertension.
And what percentage of people between 60-69 have hypertension?

And what's your point? It's simply not practical to isolate everyone under 50 from everyone over 55. If that were easy more places would have done so.

Offline avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2020, 12:57:21 PM »
And what percentage of people between 60-69 have hypertension?

And what's your point? It's simply not practical to isolate everyone under 50 from everyone over 55. If that were easy more places would have done so.
My point is everyone at high risk should isolate, it's more practical than locking down everything. Of course we would need to adapt, maybe high risk teachers can teach children who are high risk or have a high risk family. As time goes on this would make it safer for everyone.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2020, 12:58:27 PM »
My point is everyone at high risk should isolate, it's more practical than locking down everything. Of course we would need to adapt, maybe high risk teachers can teach children who are high risk or have a high risk family. As time goes on this would make it safer for everyone.
Countries like the UK and Netherlands tried this and were forced to backtrack. It's a nice thought, but it's not practical in the real world.

Offline avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2020, 01:14:16 PM »
Countries like the UK and Netherlands tried this and were forced to backtrack. It's a nice thought, but it's not practical in the real world.
What was the result? How do their hotspots compare to NYC?

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2020, 03:20:46 PM »
I would guess that if you would really go through your 50 closest acquaintances you would find that 1/3 of them fit into the above.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2020, 03:41:19 PM »
I would guess that if you would really go through your 50 closest acquaintances you would find that 1/3 of them fit into the above.
I don't think that's true, but I can believe it is true to the general public. That being said I don't see how keeping the other 2/3 locked up is helping anyone, it just means that as people whose re more at risk decide to take their chances and not come out they'll be at even greater risk.

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2020, 03:53:21 PM »
I don't think that's true, but I can believe it is true to the general public. That being said I don't see how keeping the other 2/3 locked up is helping anyone, it just means that as people whose re more at risk decide to take their chances and not come out they'll be at even greater risk.

I would geuss (keyword) that for those 10 years older than you it would go to 50%
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2020, 05:52:45 PM »

It's been discussed endlessly, the medical capacity etc.

But vitamin D is critical.

I just read this;

If I boost my immune system, will I have a greater chance at surviving Covid-19, and if so, apart from the immune system what else plays in role in helping me survive?
The immune system and your vitamin D blood level have a very close relationship. Those patients who died from Covid-19 coronavirus were the ones who had a vitamin D blood level of 15 ng/mL or less. Those who survived had vitamin D blood levels of more than 30 ng/mL. If you want an immune system that is tops, a vitamin D blood level of 50 to 80 ng/mL is recommended (the higher end of normal).
In a publication of 2006 Dr. John Cannell and co-workers have reviewed why influenza has seasonal outbreaks.  They found that the innate immune system was very dependent on vitamin D3. Those who did not get enough sunlight in the northern hemisphere during January, February, March and April have an average 25-hydroxy vitamin D level of only 15 to 17 ng/mL.
In contrast, from July to September the same volunteers had vitamin D levels of 24 to 29 ng/mL. The authors stressed that this was the reason why in the late winter/early spring flu seasons come and go every year while in summer they disappear. Vitamin D is essential for the functioning of the innate and adaptive immune system. This is true not only for the flu, but also for Covid-19 coronavirus.
Here is my answer to your question: “If I boost my immune system, will I have a greater chance at surviving Covid-19, and if so, apart from the immune system what else plays a role in helping me survive?” We have known for a long time that a strong immune system is desirable to overcome flus and infections. But now with the Covid-19 coronavirus epidemic it is again clear that people who have compromised immune systems are the ones that will suffer the most and possibly even die. It is the old and the ones who have other chronic diseases (diabetes, autoimmune diseases, kidney diseases, COPD). They often are vitamin D deficient. Vitamin D3 is a powerful tool to strengthen your immune system. The “vitamin D hammer” can prevent viral pneumonia from happening.  This leads to better survival.
Here are some peer-reviewed publications on vitamin D:

https://www.mdpi.com/2072-6643/12/4/988/htm

https://www.clinicaltherapeutics.com/article/S0149-2918(17)30235-7/fulltext

https://www.researchsquare.com/article/rs-21211/v1

Offline S209

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2020, 10:22:23 AM »
In the U.S. alone, seasonal flu has already caused 32 million illnesses, 310,000 hospitalizations and 18,000 deaths this 2019-2020 season, according to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), making the CFR for this season 0.05%. The incubation period for the flu I 1-2 days on average, so people know they are sick relatively quickly making it easier to identify and contain outbreaks
Just reread this, FTFY

ETA: Oh yes- also, the flu season went from October 1 till now, so it’s been around 6 months. Covid deaths started in March (aside from a few in Washington), so around 2 months for those.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 10:33:35 AM by S209 »
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.