Author Topic: What is your favorite Biden gaffe?  (Read 79374 times)

Offline biobook

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: What is your favorite Biden gaffe?
« Reply #280 on: October 28, 2020, 12:29:10 AM »
Pretty sure that's how dementia works (especially in the early stages). Some days are good days and some are less good.
Not sure I follow.  When you hear someone giving a rational, coherent speech, you conclude that they're demented but having a good day?
Also, I can't tell from the video, is he reading from a teleprompter?
I can't tell either, but I would hope so.  Do you see a problem with that?  His aim was to cover a number of points in a 20-30 minute speech, and he was doing this in several towns.  Much easier on the listeners if the speaker prepares a text beforehand rather than rambling for an hour.

Offline justaregularguy

• View Profile
« Reply #281 on: October 28, 2020, 12:32:19 AM »
Not sure I follow.  When you hear someone giving a rational, coherent speech, you conclude that they're demented but having a good day?I can't tell either, but I would hope so.  Do you see a problem with that?  His aim was to cover a number of points in a 20-30 minute speech, and he was doing this in several towns.  Much easier on the listeners if the speaker prepares a text beforehand rather than rambling for an hour.
trump has a teleprompter at every rally. So does pence
nothings impossible- the word itself says Im possible

Offline zh cohen

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: October 28, 2020, 12:43:47 AM »
Not sure I follow.  When you hear someone giving a rational, coherent speech, you conclude that they're demented but having a good day?

No, but if someone who is clearly losing it (and if you doubt that is the case, watch a side by side of Joe from 5 years ago, and now) has a good day half hour I don't assume he "discovered a cure for Alzheimers"

I can't tell either, but I would hope so.  Do you see a problem with that?

I don't have a problem with anyone using a teleprompter (in fact I'd prefer Trump stuck to his more), but you are trying to use this speech as evidence of Joe Biden's cognitive abilities, so the question of whether he is reading off a prompter is very much relevant

Offline Baruch

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 01:38:23 AM by Baruch »

Offline biobook

• View Profile
« Reply #284 on: October 28, 2020, 03:03:01 AM »
No, but if someone who is clearly losing it (and if you doubt that is the case, watch a side by side of Joe from 5 years ago, and now) has a good day half hour I don't assume he "discovered a cure for Alzheimers"

I don't have a problem with anyone using a teleprompter (in fact I'd prefer Trump stuck to his more), but you are trying to use this speech as evidence of Joe Biden's cognitive abilities, so the question of whether he is reading off a prompter is very much relevant
I'm not using this speech to prove that he's cognitively normal, just saying that it doesn't prove that he's not. 
And it's not just this speech.  What's been posted above are clips of a few seconds from much longer speeches, and he seems quite normal to me.  What's clear is that the video-manipulator looked through 60 minutes of a speech to find 25 seconds that could be spliced together to make it seem like he's losing it.  The complete videos don't resemble those clips.

I hear several things in his speech: 
1, he grew up with a stutter, and still has to concentrate on controlling it. 
2, he often starts a sentence, then gets excited and starts a slightly different sentence.  Many people do this in natural conversations... We just don't do it in public where it's recorded. 
3, he's got something of a Scranton accent, and I think that explains him saying Commnity College instead of Community College, as shown in the video.  Some Americans think New Yawkers sound ignorant too. 
4, he sometimes forgets a word, or a name, or uses the wrong word.  Most people notice themselves doing this, especially after they reach their 50s.  It's a natural part of the aging process, not necessarily indicative of dementia.  We age gradually, and, as you say, if we're observed at intervals of 5 years, those gradual changes become obvious.  Our speech slows down, we take longer to remember a word.

As far as I know, physicians don't diagnose dementia based on ability to speak with or without a teleprompter.  But we can ask for their opinion of him.  Here are evaluations from two of them:
    There are no independently verified medical records available that measured and documented the cognitive functioning of Biden. However, his appearance on the campaign trail during the past year suggests that he is currently operating at an exceptionally high level. He is likely to pass the common screening tests for dementia like the mini-mental status exam (MMSE) and MoCA with a perfect score, but these tests would not be predictive because they’re only screening tools used to determine whether a full diagnostic assessment is required.  His stuttering and speech reaction time is typical at his age and are not indicative of cognitive decline. The Framingham Heart Study estimates that in the general population, the risk for Alzheimer’s disease is around 10% at age 82 (Biden’s age at the end of his first term). Since Biden (and Trump) do not have dementia currently the risk is significantly lower.

Biden is a life-long stutterer and he admits that when fatigued, he can struggle with speech fluency. A stutter can be a lifelong articulation disorder that says nothing about cognitive functioning.
https://www.icaa.cc/media/presidential_lifespan_and_healthspan-draft_for_release_1.pdf

Offline LNS

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: October 28, 2020, 09:20:34 AM »
I'm not using this speech to prove that he's cognitively normal, just saying that it doesn't prove that he's not. 
And it's not just this speech.  What's been posted above are clips of a few seconds from much longer speeches, and he seems quite normal to me.  What's clear is that the video-manipulator looked through 60 minutes of a speech to find 25 seconds that could be spliced together to make it seem like he's losing it.  The complete videos don't resemble those clips.

I hear several things in his speech: 
1, he grew up with a stutter, and still has to concentrate on controlling it. 
2, he often starts a sentence, then gets excited and starts a slightly different sentence.  Many people do this in natural conversations... We just don't do it in public where it's recorded. 
3, he's got something of a Scranton accent, and I think that explains him saying Commnity College instead of Community College, as shown in the video.  Some Americans think New Yawkers sound ignorant too. 
4, he sometimes forgets a word, or a name, or uses the wrong word.  Most people notice themselves doing this, especially after they reach their 50s.  It's a natural part of the aging process, not necessarily indicative of dementia.  We age gradually, and, as you say, if we're observed at intervals of 5 years, those gradual changes become obvious.  Our speech slows down, we take longer to remember a word.

As far as I know, physicians don't diagnose dementia based on ability to speak with or without a teleprompter.  But we can ask for their opinion of him.  Here are evaluations from two of them:
    There are no independently verified medical records available that measured and documented the cognitive functioning of Biden. However, his appearance on the campaign trail during the past year suggests that he is currently operating at an exceptionally high level. He is likely to pass the common screening tests for dementia like the mini-mental status exam (MMSE) and MoCA with a perfect score, but these tests would not be predictive because they’re only screening tools used to determine whether a full diagnostic assessment is required.  His stuttering and speech reaction time is typical at his age and are not indicative of cognitive decline. The Framingham Heart Study estimates that in the general population, the risk for Alzheimer’s disease is around 10% at age 82 (Biden’s age at the end of his first term). Since Biden (and Trump) do not have dementia currently the risk is significantly lower.

Biden is a life-long stutterer and he admits that when fatigued, he can struggle with speech fluency. A stutter can be a lifelong articulation disorder that says nothing about cognitive functioning.
https://www.icaa.cc/media/presidential_lifespan_and_healthspan-draft_for_release_1.pdf

im happy you have never had someone close to you experiencing what he is
its quite painful to watch and you can call it age or whatever else you want but its real ....either way your right in this case it shouldn't be a big deal its not like he is running for president or something

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #286 on: October 28, 2020, 09:27:11 AM »

im happy you have never had someone close to you experiencing what he is
its quite painful to watch and you can call it age or whatever else you want but its real ....either way your right in this case it shouldn't be a big deal its not like he is running for president or something
If you don't see the same things in Trump you are not looking.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline LNS

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: October 28, 2020, 09:37:37 AM »

trump definitely has his flaws and can have slow moments too but please keep in mind that prior to becoming president he has never read from a script/teleprompter or spoke in front of large crowds for such long periods of time so yes its easier for me to see why he can sometimes lose his bearings in middle of a speech or just ramble. i don't think anyone else at his age or even younger who has never done it would do that great of a job either.

Offline Kobe Bryant

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: October 28, 2020, 09:42:25 AM »
If Trump was anything remotely close to the sad state of mind Biden is in. We wouldn't have to look anywhere. The MSM would push it ad nauseam.
In the meantime feel free to fill us in here

Offline m65

• View Profile
« Reply #289 on: October 28, 2020, 12:02:17 PM »
If Trump was anything remotely close to the sad state of mind Biden is in. We wouldn't have to look anywhere. The MSM would push it ad nauseam.
In the meantime feel free to fill us in here
its interesting that this thread has 20 pages, and the trump gaffe thread has 3

Offline Lurker

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #290 on: October 28, 2020, 12:02:56 PM »

That's because we're pointing out gaffes, not dumba$$ comments and tweets.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline m65

• View Profile
« Reply #291 on: October 28, 2020, 12:34:18 PM »
"dumba$$ comments and tweets" doesnt mean u have alzheimers

Offline Mordyk

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Some of this and some of that.
« Reply #292 on: October 28, 2020, 07:50:44 PM »
This is part of what got him elected.  Vs. Something that biden is developing and making him less of what he was...
#TYH

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #293 on: October 28, 2020, 08:07:57 PM »
"dumba$$ comments and tweets" doesnt mean u have alzheimers

You're right, I didn't follow properly.

This is part of what got him elected.  Vs. Something that biden is developing and making him less of what he was...

Biden has always been a gaffe machine. 47 years and counting. It's always been a part of his appeal: he's just Good Ol' Uncle Joe.

Offline Euclid

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: October 28, 2020, 08:09:19 PM »
That probably also has a lot to do with the demographic of this forum.

Offline Mordyk

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Some of this and some of that.
« Reply #295 on: October 28, 2020, 08:15:13 PM »
You're right, I didn't follow properly.

Biden has always been a gaffe machine. 47 years and counting. It's always been a part of his appeal: Now he's just Good Ol' Senile Uncle Joe.
FTFY
#TYH

Offline m65

• View Profile
« Reply #296 on: October 28, 2020, 08:22:57 PM »
Biden has always been a gaffe machine. 47 years and counting. It's always been a part of his appeal: he's just Good Ol' Uncle Joe.
its great as good old uncle joe, but when he's the one deciding what to do with the "football", i dont know...

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #297 on: October 28, 2020, 08:25:09 PM »
its great as good old uncle joe, but when he's the one deciding what to do with the "football", i dont know...

Don't worry, he isn't the one calling the shots. He doesn't even have to remember who is. He just needs to read what they put in the teleprompter and not go off the cuff.

Offline m65

• View Profile
« Reply #298 on: October 28, 2020, 08:50:44 PM »
Don't worry, he isn't the one calling the shots. He doesn't even have to remember who is. He just needs to read what they put in the teleprompter and not go off the cuff.
not a very comforting answer

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #299 on: October 28, 2020, 08:53:25 PM »
not a very comforting answer

Are you new to 2020? You're expecting comfort? Or answers?