Topic Wiki

Quote from: RavYisroelReisman
It is very crucial that people go with an Ayin Tov. Many of us are nervous. We have been in cabin fever for two months and we are not in our normal spirit of joy. I am so afraid that people are going to come to Shul and see someone else may be standing too close or with a mask that is not properly worn or without a mask. That such people are going to end up being involved in a Machlokes. Chas V’shalom, Machlokes is far more dangerous than any virus in the world. Machlokes between Yidden especially if people are going to have a Machlokes in Shul. Please, when we go back to Shul do it with an Ayin Tov. Bring Beracha to everyone around you. It should be with a great joy and a great Hatzlacha.

meanwhile:

Rabbi Reisman's shul is my shul the Rav was coordinating all the minyanim since Thursday between the main shul, ezras nashim, and simcha hall.
I've seen him at almost every minyan so far and everyone is keeping to all his guidelines. Everyone at every minyan was wearing a mask.
Rabbi Reisman is doing an amazing job!

« Last edited by YitzyS on May 24, 2020, 05:06:38 PM »

Author Topic: So How Was Your Shul This Week?  (Read 63924 times)

Offline Yehuda57

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
Re: So How Was Your Shul This Week?
« Reply #140 on: June 01, 2020, 05:51:18 PM »
No one that I know. AT THIS TIME.
Anyone allowing a cleaning lady into their house has already had COVID-19 symptoms.

You're making broad generalizations and assumptions which are quite simply false.

Offline avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 01, 2020, 06:23:53 PM »
That’s high and mighty from someone that has been more intellectually dishonest about corona than probably anyone else I’ve spoken to. And you’ll have a difficult time saying the same about me.

Ps. My questions were rhetorical, for the purpose of making a point. Very different than “not looking for answers”. They won’t be answered because they can’t be answered without conceding my point.
This kind of character assasination is despicable.

If you have a point to make you can make it without being condescending and assuming everyone has an agenda.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #142 on: June 01, 2020, 06:28:07 PM »
You're making broad generalizations and assumptions which are quite simply false.

Well, you might be able to make that statement regarding my cleaning lady statement, but how can you claim falsehood about my statement that no-one that I know is taking the subway at this time, unless you are aware of someone specific that I know such as one of your uncles or cousins that is taking the subway at this time.

As for the cleaning lady statement and people who had symptoms, I'm referring to the people that daven where I do, either in my back-porch minyan, or in (or next-to) 770.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline Ergel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 01, 2020, 06:29:38 PM »
Well, you might be able to make that statement regarding my cleaning lady statement, but how can you claim falsehood about my statement that no-one that I know is taking the subway at this time, unless you are aware of someone specific that I know such as one of your uncles or cousins that is taking the subway at this time.

As for the cleaning lady statement and people who had symptoms, I'm referring to the people that daven where I do, either in my back-porch minyan, or in (or next-to) 770.
You investigate every member of every minyan you go to and ensure that he only shops with a mask, doesn't take the subway and doesn't have a cleaning lady unless he has antibodies?
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline Sam Finkelstein

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 01, 2020, 06:31:11 PM »
You investigate every member of every minyan you go to and ensure that he only shops with a mask, doesn't take the subway and doesn't have a cleaning lady unless he has antibodies?
Or maybe he talks to his neighbors  :P
Formula for success: rise early, work hard, strike oil. –J. Paul Getty

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #145 on: June 01, 2020, 06:33:56 PM »

I'm not going to argue for the sake of argument. I'm not forcing my opinions on you, and will stick to what I find acceptable in my set of circumstances. Do you (or anyone else) have a certain date by which outcomes might prove one way or the other?
-- Dan

Offline avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 01, 2020, 06:35:37 PM »
I don't think herd immunity works that way.
-1 herd immunity means the virus can't spread thru the herd unchecked. The herd can be any community, it doesn't need to include the broader society, and it doesnt mean no one can get it. Just like with the measles, there have always been cases coming from out of the country, but as long as that person can't spread it to too many people it can't spread too far.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #147 on: June 01, 2020, 06:37:20 PM »
I'm referring to the people that daven where I do, either in my back-porch minyan, or in (or next-to) 770.
So you are referring to a group of 20 people? If so then yes you may be okay. Let's just call it quarantining together. That is not how I understood your statement. I presumed that it was something which would apply to the general public. Apparently I was mistaken.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 01, 2020, 06:59:40 PM »
-1 herd immunity means the virus can't spread thru the herd unchecked. The herd can be any community, it doesn't need to include the broader society, and it doesnt mean no one can get it. Just like with the measles, there have always been cases coming from out of the country, but as long as that person can't spread it to too many people it can't spread too far.
That is because the contact with the few coming in from outside will be stopped before reaching epidemic proportions. That is great when you are dealing with a country etc. but when you are dealing with a small group that has contact with the outside then the one person who catches it and spreds it in one fell swoop to half of those not immune is a problem.

Offline EliJelly

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 01, 2020, 07:03:32 PM »
That is because the contact with the few coming in from outside will be stopped before reaching epidemic proportions. That is great when you are dealing with a country etc. but when you are dealing with a small group that has contact with the outside then the one person who catches it and spreds it in one fell swoop to half of those not immune is a problem.
And how do you make sense with facts on the ground? Is there a date to be reached without a spike to prove that there's herd immunity? We're quite a few weeks in.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #150 on: June 01, 2020, 07:06:24 PM »
So you are referring to a group of 20 people? If so then yes you may be okay. Let's just call it quarantining together. That is not how I understood your statement. I presumed that it was something which would apply to the general public. Apparently I was mistaken.

My back-porch minyan is around 20 at peak. Outside 770 is probably more than 200, but mostly spread out. Right next to the doors (to be able to hear Krias Hatorah) is probably 30-40 with no distancing and maybe a handful of masks.
-- Dan

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 01, 2020, 07:09:19 PM »

These "small groups" are much more isolated from the outside than any country is. While אין הקומץ משביע את הארי ואין הבור מתמלא מחוליתו generally applies to לכו והתפרנסו זה מזה, there's quite a lot that is done without interaction with the outside world. Definitely without physical interaction with the outside world.
-- Dan

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 01, 2020, 07:15:14 PM »
And how do you make sense with facts on the ground? Is there a date to be reached without a spike to prove that there's herd immunity? We're quite a few weeks in.
ow many weeks from when it was first introduced did we begin seeing the first spike?

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 01, 2020, 07:17:53 PM »
My back-porch minyan is around 20 at peak. Outside 770 is probably more than 200, but mostly spread out. Right next to the doors (to be able to hear Krias Hatorah) is probably 30-40 with no distancing and maybe a handful of masks.
OUtdoors is in general much better anyhow. But yes, such a small group that remains isolated can be its own herd.

Offline EliJelly

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 01, 2020, 07:29:58 PM »
ow many weeks from when it was first introduced did we begin seeing the first spike?
Accepted quarantine period worldwide is still just two weeks. 

Offline Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #155 on: June 01, 2020, 07:31:31 PM »

Qualifying your statement to "that I know" is so limiting as to deem it worthless for the purposes of this conversation. It's quite obvious no one was discussing your immidiate neighbors.

Offline Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #156 on: June 01, 2020, 07:37:00 PM »

And you can say with confidence that no one davenning near 770 is using the subway? Come on.

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 01, 2020, 07:43:00 PM »
Accepted quarantine period worldwide is still just two weeks. 
Right and therefore?

Offline moko

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: June 01, 2020, 07:44:39 PM »
I really don't get the turning away people thing unless you have less than 20 people in your shul.
The shul I daven it is accommodating everyone who wants with multiple minyanim indoor and outdoors. Making sure there are extra masks and plenty of hand sanitizer in case someone didn't bring rather than turn them away. Spent thousands of dollars purchasing a heavy duty tent (two walls off) to ensure outdoor minyanim even when it's raining.
It's become quite the hotspot in BOS and I'm confident the shul will gain regular mispallim who continue after COVID19.

Offline EliJelly

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: June 01, 2020, 07:50:19 PM »
Right and therefore?
So that's what they still believe to be the incubation period. We're way way beyond that.