Topic Wiki

Quote from: RavYisroelReisman
It is very crucial that people go with an Ayin Tov. Many of us are nervous. We have been in cabin fever for two months and we are not in our normal spirit of joy. I am so afraid that people are going to come to Shul and see someone else may be standing too close or with a mask that is not properly worn or without a mask. That such people are going to end up being involved in a Machlokes. Chas V’shalom, Machlokes is far more dangerous than any virus in the world. Machlokes between Yidden especially if people are going to have a Machlokes in Shul. Please, when we go back to Shul do it with an Ayin Tov. Bring Beracha to everyone around you. It should be with a great joy and a great Hatzlacha.

meanwhile:

Rabbi Reisman's shul is my shul the Rav was coordinating all the minyanim since Thursday between the main shul, ezras nashim, and simcha hall.
I've seen him at almost every minyan so far and everyone is keeping to all his guidelines. Everyone at every minyan was wearing a mask.
Rabbi Reisman is doing an amazing job!

« Last edited by YitzyS on May 24, 2020, 05:06:38 PM »

Author Topic: So How Was Your Shul This Week?  (Read 63715 times)

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
Re: So How Was Your Shul This Week?
« Reply #120 on: June 01, 2020, 03:50:47 PM »
Feelings don't care about your facts

Online ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #121 on: June 01, 2020, 03:51:13 PM »
Herd immunity doesn't work that way.

I was going to insert your quotes, but then I realized that you modified @aygart's post.

Why don't you educate us (me) as to how herd immunity works.

If 70% of the "herd" has already been exposed and had symptoms and recovered, and said 70% are the only ones going to shul (with the occasional person that didn't have symptoms and might not have been exposed joining with social distancing and a mask), what in the way "herd immunity" works or doesn't work says that this is wrong?
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline EliJelly

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 01, 2020, 03:57:21 PM »
why?
You've been pretty vocal of your opinion. I happen to agree with @ExGingi on this, not the end of the world.

Offline shulemw

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 01, 2020, 03:59:40 PM »
Your Rav took achrayus on everyone's health?
What does that even mean?

My question to you is if you know what means a chassidishe rabbi? then i will continue explaining...

its none that the baal shem tov said that he takes achrayus on one tevilah for everyone always...what does that mean how can he take achrayus?

so first you need to understand what chasiddus is and what a rabbi is...but that will get the thread off topic again...so

Offline Ergel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 01, 2020, 04:01:32 PM »
I was going to insert your quotes, but then I realized that you modified @aygart's post.

Why don't you educate us (me) as to how herd immunity works.

If 70% of the "herd" has already been exposed and had symptoms and recovered, and said 70% are the only ones going to shul (with the occasional person that didn't have symptoms and might not have been exposed joining with social distancing and a mask), what in the way "herd immunity" works or doesn't work says that this is wrong?
Herd immunity means that a certain threshold is reached and the virus dies out because it cannot jump to new hosts and naturally dies out. That happens on a societal level and not a local level. That is because someone from the remaining 30% can pick up the virus from outside of the herd and infect the unprotected.

Now, you may mean, that the risk is low because there are fewer possible people infected and fewer people who are at risk of being infected. But that ain't herd immunity
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #125 on: June 01, 2020, 04:07:15 PM »
Herd immunity means that a certain threshold is reached and the virus dies out because it cannot jump to new hosts and naturally dies out. That happens on a societal level and not a local level. That is because someone from the remaining 30% can pick up the virus from outside of the herd and infect the unprotected.

Now, you may mean, that the risk is low because there are fewer possible people infected and fewer people who are at risk of being infected. But that ain't herd immunity

OK. So let's look at the "societal level". Does that depend on zip code? On county? On State? Or does it depend on the society one intermingles with?
-- Dan

Offline Ergel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 01, 2020, 04:09:57 PM »
OK. So let's look at the "societal level". Does that depend on zip code? On county? On State? Or does it depend on the society one intermingles with?
If you would limit all social interactions to the herd, then it would mean that. If you have interactions with those outside the herd, then it extends to whoever you have interactions with which can transmit the virus
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 01, 2020, 04:23:35 PM »
It depends on the society one mingles with and who they mingle with. A person who goes nowhere but his one shul will not be protected by herd immunity from his shul alone having herd immunity rates. This is because once they can bring it in from the outside and transmit it to those in the shul who are not immune it no longer benfits them that it would not spread numerous levels within the shul.

Offline Yehuda57

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #128 on: June 01, 2020, 04:28:09 PM »
My question to you is if you know what means a chassidishe rabbi? then i will continue explaining...

its none that the baal shem tov said that he takes achrayus on one tevilah for everyone always...what does that mean how can he take achrayus?

so first you need to understand what chasiddus is and what a rabbi is...but that will get the thread off topic again...so

Which Chassidishe Rebbe/Rov today is taking achruyus in the same manner as the Baal Shem Tov?

Offline yelped

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 01, 2020, 04:28:16 PM »

Lol. Let's start with you.

Where is the mekor for the Bal Shem Tov saying that?

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 01, 2020, 04:28:32 PM »
If you would limit all social interactions to the herd, then it would mean that. If you have interactions with those outside the herd, then it extends to whoever you have interactions with which can transmit the virus

Excellent. Now to what extent do you think people in WB, BP and Crown Heights have interactions "outside the herd" at this time (other than possibly going shopping with a mask, as required)?
-- Dan

Offline yuneeq

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 01, 2020, 04:38:59 PM »
Wow... just like that?!

A few taps with your fingers and they’re done?!?

What exactly is your point? That because chassidish rebbes opened up so we should give up social distancing and take off our masks? Because that’s what I was replying to.
Visibly Jewish

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #132 on: June 01, 2020, 04:39:25 PM »
Excellent. Now to what extent do you think people in WB, BP and Crown Heights have interactions "outside the herd" at this time (other than possibly going shopping with a mask, as required)?
Nobody takes the subway?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 01, 2020, 04:45:35 PM »
I would like your post, but it's hard to like something so sad.

Nothing sad unless you’re not following the convo.

Visibly Jewish

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 01, 2020, 04:45:43 PM »
Some people arent looking for answers.

That’s high and mighty from someone that has been more intellectually dishonest about corona than probably anyone else I’ve spoken to. And you’ll have a difficult time saying the same about me.

Ps. My questions were rhetorical, for the purpose of making a point. Very different than “not looking for answers”. They won’t be answered because they can’t be answered without conceding my point.
Visibly Jewish

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: June 01, 2020, 04:51:11 PM »
Nobody takes the subway?

Not (necessarily?) recommended with all the racial tension and stuff...
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 01, 2020, 04:57:59 PM »
Nobody has a cleaning lady etc?

Offline Yonah

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 01, 2020, 05:00:57 PM »
Late to the party. I am in White Plains.

When Cuomo issued his order two weeks ago, the 7 shuls in southern westchester agreed that each shul will decide when it feels ready to re-open. Originally three said yes, but one backed out after two days and decided to wait too additional weeks like the other four shuls.

Our shul was one of the two that started - limiting minyan to 10 people. We have a signup. I'd love to cap it at the first 10 to apply, but can't do that for various reasons, including some chiyuvim who primarily daven at other shuls.

The first couple of days, the Rav invited 10 people, since the signup started we unfortunately have had to turn people away. Were very makpid about our ten person limit, as well as social distancing and masks.
General rules:
- Everyone wears a mask at all times - even Bal tefila/bal koreh
- Everyone needs to keep at least 8+ feet of distance from each other
- Everone brings their own tallis/siddur/chumash (We have an eiruv for shabbos)
- Aliyas are conactless. If you get an aliya, the Bal Koreh backs away from the Bimah, oleh approaches, but doesn't touch the torah, makes his bracha, goes back to his spot, and Bal Koreh returns.

For the most part it has been going good. For Mincha/Ma'ariv, we often split into multiple minyanim. (Understand we are a small kehila, weekday minyanim before corona had an average of about 20 people)

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 01, 2020, 05:27:42 PM »
Nobody takes the subway?

No one that I know. AT THIS TIME.
-- Dan

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 01, 2020, 05:28:43 PM »
Nobody has a cleaning lady etc?

Anyone allowing a cleaning lady into their house has already had COVID-19 symptoms.
-- Dan