Topic Wiki

Quote from: RavYisroelReisman
It is very crucial that people go with an Ayin Tov. Many of us are nervous. We have been in cabin fever for two months and we are not in our normal spirit of joy. I am so afraid that people are going to come to Shul and see someone else may be standing too close or with a mask that is not properly worn or without a mask. That such people are going to end up being involved in a Machlokes. Chas V’shalom, Machlokes is far more dangerous than any virus in the world. Machlokes between Yidden especially if people are going to have a Machlokes in Shul. Please, when we go back to Shul do it with an Ayin Tov. Bring Beracha to everyone around you. It should be with a great joy and a great Hatzlacha.

meanwhile:

Rabbi Reisman's shul is my shul the Rav was coordinating all the minyanim since Thursday between the main shul, ezras nashim, and simcha hall.
I've seen him at almost every minyan so far and everyone is keeping to all his guidelines. Everyone at every minyan was wearing a mask.
Rabbi Reisman is doing an amazing job!

« Last edited by YitzyS on May 24, 2020, 05:06:38 PM »

Author Topic: So How Was Your Shul This Week?  (Read 62146 times)

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
Re: So How Was Your Shul This Week?
« Reply #160 on: June 01, 2020, 08:18:29 PM »
So that's what they still believe to be the incubation period. We're way way beyond that.
But what does that show? That if 5 people had it and were out and about on that day and spread it to 2 people each we would now have 10 infected people?
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline EliJelly

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: June 01, 2020, 08:21:54 PM »
But what does that show? That if 5 people had it and were out and about on that day and spread it to 2 people each we would now have 10 infected people?
Given the situation on the ground, each one of those 5 people would spread it to 50 people. Remember that in our circles everybody had the symptoms within the same 2 weeks.

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: June 01, 2020, 08:30:14 PM »
Given the situation on the ground, each one of those 5 people would spread it to 50 people. Remember that in our circles everybody had the symptoms within the same 2 weeks.
That is not what has happened in the past. No it is not true that everyone had symptoms within the same 2 weeks. It has become very clear that it was floating through the community long before then. Probably by close to 2months.

Offline EliJelly

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: June 01, 2020, 08:38:24 PM »
That is not what has happened in the past. No it is not true that everyone had symptoms within the same 2 weeks. It has become very clear that it was floating through the community long before then. Probably by close to 2months.
Speak for your.

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: June 01, 2020, 08:43:57 PM »

Offline avromie7

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: June 01, 2020, 08:53:18 PM »
I believe as things stand, it doesn't have the potential for a serious outbreak anywhere near the level we saw. Given the number of variables that will slow the spread including the fact that people know to quarantine if they were exposed/have symptoms (no one quarantines when they have the flu), many people are immune, less contact with people, at risk people still taking extra precautions, and I'm sure there are others I missed. We also know more about it now and we know what to look out for, and we have testing available to identify an outbreak way earlier instead of attributing it to the flu. I had a colleague who flew to CA before purim, a few days after he came back he wasn't feeling well so he either went to or called a local urgentcare, he asked them if he should be worried it may corona and they laughed at him, if that happened now he would immediately be sent for a COVID test.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline EliJelly

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 01, 2020, 08:54:26 PM »
huh?
For your community. (at least I can't dispute that)

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 01, 2020, 09:22:37 PM »
I believe as things stand, it doesn't have the potential for a serious outbreak anywhere near the level we saw. Given the number of variables that will slow the spread including the fact that people know to quarantine if they were exposed/have symptoms (no one quarantines when they have the flu), many people are immune, less contact with people, at risk people still taking extra precautions, and I'm sure there are others I missed. We also know more about it now and we know what to look out for, and we have testing available to identify an outbreak way earlier instead of attributing it to the flu. I had a colleague who flew to CA before purim, a few days after he came back he wasn't feeling well so he either went to or called a local urgentcare, he asked them if he should be worried it may corona and they laughed at him, if that happened now he would immediately be sent for a COVID test.
This is probably true and will help. Hopefully it will be enough.

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 01, 2020, 09:23:52 PM »
For your community. (at least I can't dispute that)
There were many people who thought they had the flu in February who likely had corona similar to Dan.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #169 on: June 01, 2020, 09:25:03 PM »
There were many people who thought they had the flu in February who likely had corona similar to Dan.
Absolutely. Doctors all said no chance it was Corona, but it was. And that was gifted to me in NYC on 2/17.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Online ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #170 on: June 01, 2020, 09:34:34 PM »
And you can say with confidence that no one davenning near 770 is using the subway? Come on.

I'd be willing to bet money on it.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Online mochjas

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 123
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, AA EX PLAT, Jetblue Mosaic, Qatar Gold, United Silver
« Reply #171 on: June 01, 2020, 09:44:56 PM »
Absolutely. Doctors all said no chance it was Corona, but it was. And that was gifted to me in NYC on 2/17.
KFWE?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 02, 2020, 12:04:50 AM »
I'd be willing to bet money on it.

They aren’t going on Mivtzoyim on Friday?
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline Ergel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: June 02, 2020, 02:31:27 AM »
I'm not going to argue for the sake of argument. I'm not forcing my opinions on you, and will stick to what I find acceptable in my set of circumstances. Do you (or anyone else) have a certain date by which outcomes might prove one way or the other?
No, which is why I'm not for keeping things closed. But there is a huge area between everything closed and back to normal. Going back to shuls with masks and distancing I think is reasonable. Packing shuls to the gills and having kiddushin I think is not. There is room in between those two options as well, obviously. Exactly how you balance those two, I think should be a discussion and not just, well everyone had it so we are safe. I just don't get the cavalier attitude of some people (not saying that it's you). Do I know that there will be a second wave? Of course not. Does anyone know there won't be? I don't see how they could know that.
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline Ergel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: June 02, 2020, 02:35:28 AM »
My back-porch minyan is around 20 at peak. Outside 770 is probably more than 200, but mostly spread out. Right next to the doors (to be able to hear Krias Hatorah) is probably 30-40 with no distancing and maybe a handful of masks.

I think this conversation got off track. I wasn't comparing RBS to the above, RBS has had outdoor minyanim like you are describing for 2 months. And indoor minyanim with guidelines for a couple of weeks. I was comparing that to places in NYC which are "back to normal"
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline Proisrael

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG,Hilton,Club Carlson
« Reply #176 on: June 02, 2020, 02:59:16 AM »
My Shul (Kryaot,Haifa) is finally opening for the first time since Purim. There is a signup and limited to 50 people per minyan (The shul seats 400). You have to sign a govt form that you will adhere to all the rules. You cannot change minyanim and must wear the mask the entire davening.

Online skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 02, 2020, 09:54:51 AM »
My minyan said this morning that we'll be doing plag mincha/maariv because of the curfew. The hits just keep on coming.

Online ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #178 on: June 02, 2020, 10:57:37 AM »
My minyan said this morning that we'll be doing plag mincha/maariv because of the curfew. The hits just keep on coming.

Huh?

Curfew starts at 11pm AFAIK. You can even wait for Rabeinu Tam zman for Maariv and do it before the curfew.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #179 on: June 02, 2020, 11:10:06 AM »

Huh?

Curfew starts at 11pm AFAIK. You can even wait for Rabeinu Tam zman for Maariv and do it before the curfew.
8 PM tonight
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.