Topic Wiki

Quote from: RavYisroelReisman
It is very crucial that people go with an Ayin Tov. Many of us are nervous. We have been in cabin fever for two months and we are not in our normal spirit of joy. I am so afraid that people are going to come to Shul and see someone else may be standing too close or with a mask that is not properly worn or without a mask. That such people are going to end up being involved in a Machlokes. Chas V’shalom, Machlokes is far more dangerous than any virus in the world. Machlokes between Yidden especially if people are going to have a Machlokes in Shul. Please, when we go back to Shul do it with an Ayin Tov. Bring Beracha to everyone around you. It should be with a great joy and a great Hatzlacha.

meanwhile:

Rabbi Reisman's shul is my shul the Rav was coordinating all the minyanim since Thursday between the main shul, ezras nashim, and simcha hall.
I've seen him at almost every minyan so far and everyone is keeping to all his guidelines. Everyone at every minyan was wearing a mask.
Rabbi Reisman is doing an amazing job!

« Last edited by YitzyS on May 24, 2020, 05:06:38 PM »

Author Topic: So How Was Your Shul This Week?  (Read 63387 times)

Offline S209

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
Re: So How Was Your Shul This Week?
« Reply #260 on: June 21, 2020, 10:39:43 AM »
Just answering a silly remark with a silly quote since shaulyaakov is from the MO community. Of course the piece is not representative of normal MO. And the kiddushim have nothing to do with the women. The women had separate kiddushim in the houses/yards. The Ezras nashim were kept for men in deference to any man who might still be uncomfortable to crowd into the shul, and that is warranted considering that the woman have no obligation to daven with a minyan. I’m sure the few men utilizing the ezras nashim did not attend the kiddushim.
The author of the piece is not MO, he’s Open Orthodox.
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline Naftuli19

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: I wish all...
« Reply #261 on: June 21, 2020, 11:58:38 AM »
The MO community sure has their priorities straighter.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/forward.com/opinion/447323/to-my-fellow-orthodox-jews-dont-open-shuls-until-you-can-open-them-to/%3fgamp
We had a nice crowd + a packed women's section and a nice kiddush by the men.
Sometimes You Will Never Know the True Value of A Moment Until It's Become A Memory...

Offline shaulyaakov

• View Profile
« Reply #262 on: June 21, 2020, 11:59:24 AM »
I think the order of events should be minyan for men, minyan for women as well, and only then Kiddush.

Maybe those shuls could set up a 2nd minyan in the social hall in order to accommodate women rather than use it for Kiddush.

Offline yaakov35

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: June 21, 2020, 12:03:22 PM »
I think the order of events should be minyan for men, minyan for women as well, and only then Kiddush.

Maybe those shuls could set up a 2nd minyan in the social hall in order to accommodate women rather than use it for Kiddush.
If your part of any chareidi community that is not and will not ever be the case. And in most chareidi shuls most women don't even have an interest in going most of the time

Offline mochjas

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 123
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, AA EX PLAT, Jetblue Mosaic, Qatar Gold, United Silver
« Reply #264 on: June 21, 2020, 12:16:24 PM »
It’s amazing how people can’t go without food in Shul. I go to several shuls. One doesn’t give coffee in the morning and people are complaining they want coffee. The other gives coffee and the people want breakfast. Why can’t people just go to shul to pray and eat at home? I don’t get it....

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #265 on: June 21, 2020, 12:23:01 PM »
It’s amazing how people can’t go without food in Shul. I go to several shuls. One doesn’t give coffee in the morning and people are complaining they want coffee. The other gives coffee and the people want breakfast. Why can’t people just go to shul to pray and eat at home? I don’t get it....
The people that complain to me that we don't have a cholent are the people that are coming for the cholent, not for prayer.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline shaulyaakov

• View Profile
« Reply #266 on: June 21, 2020, 12:24:33 PM »
I think one of the great things about the outdoor minyanim is that it's as close to Lishmah as possible.

No Kiddush, no AC, BYO chair, and barely any talking before or after. If you're coming, it's to daven and that's it.

Obviously, not sustainable over the long term, but a nice reset on Tefillah B'Tzibur.

Offline yesitsme

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: June 21, 2020, 12:25:39 PM »
I think one of the great things about the outdoor minyanim is that it's as close to Lishmah as possible.

No Kiddush, no AC, BYO chair, and barely any talking before or after. If you're coming, it's to daven and that's it.

Obviously, not sustainable over the long term, but a nice reset on Tefillah B'Tzibur.
no AC?
["-"]

Offline shaulyaakov

• View Profile
« Reply #268 on: June 21, 2020, 12:26:24 PM »

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #269 on: June 21, 2020, 12:32:40 PM »
no AC?

Which is why we moved indoors this past Shabbos. We were lucky to have a vacant house available for that.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline YitzyS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: June 21, 2020, 01:18:28 PM »
While we're on the topic, I think that Reform should be commended for their strict adherence to the restrictions. Many of their members have been avoiding crowded shuls since after Yom Kippur!

Offline EliJelly

• View Profile
« Reply #271 on: June 21, 2020, 01:43:49 PM »
Seeing this kiddush thing time and again makes me wonder where has this become the new normal? The shuls I know only have kiddushim when there's a Baal simcha giving kiddush. Really? The shul serving cholent every week? And how is the morning seuda look like on a full stomach?

Offline Lurker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #272 on: June 21, 2020, 01:45:33 PM »
Seeing this kiddush thing time and again makes me wonder where has this become the new normal? The shuls I know only have kiddushim when there's a Baal simcha giving kiddush. Really? The shul serving cholent every week? And how is the morning seuda look like on a full stomach?

Lol! Lubavitchers wondering what a morning seuda is.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline yzj

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: June 21, 2020, 01:46:09 PM »
Many of the larger shuls in Lakewood only have a kiddush when there is a Simcha. That is,  pretty much every week.

Offline EliJelly

• View Profile
« Reply #274 on: June 21, 2020, 01:48:40 PM »
Many of the larger shuls in Lakewood only have a kiddush when there is a Simcha. That is,  pretty much every week.
And the whole shul sits down to make kiddush or only those really close with the baal simcha?

Offline EliJelly

• View Profile
« Reply #275 on: June 21, 2020, 01:50:51 PM »
Lol! Lubavitchers wondering what a morning seuda is.
Maybe because Lubavitch shuls usually have guests to serve? OOT shuls in particular.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #276 on: June 21, 2020, 01:57:45 PM »
Maybe because Lubavitch shuls usually have guests to serve? OOT shuls in particular.
Nope. Just not a thing.
But we also eat mezonos and learn Chasidus before davening.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Lurker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #277 on: June 21, 2020, 01:59:28 PM »

I was commenting more on the morning aspect of that. Generally, the only time kiddush is made before 12 in Lubavitch is on Simchas Torah, or kiddush clubs. Historically, most families wouldn't hear kiddush until late in the afternoon, or from someone other than the man of the house.

There's a story about one of the Raichiks from LA. I believe the story is he was in Montreal right after his bar mitzvah and ate by someone's house. He expressed dismay that this person could not really be a Lubavitcher, because he makes kiddush for his family on shabbos day. This Raichik boy had grown up with his mother making kiddush, because his father spent the day in shul davening, only making kiddush before shkiah.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline stooges44

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 269
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: June 21, 2020, 02:02:22 PM »
While we're on the topic, I think that Reform should be commended for their strict adherence to the restrictions. Many of their members have been avoiding crowded shuls since after Yom Kippur!

::) ::) ::)
If it's not free shipping it's not worth it.

Offline Mikes@Micro

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: June 21, 2020, 02:06:48 PM »
Seudah on a full stomach is a problem.... Important Video from Amudim

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Quote or engagement  equals full throated endorsement and vote!
H/t PinchosL