Topic Wiki

Quote from: RavYisroelReisman
It is very crucial that people go with an Ayin Tov. Many of us are nervous. We have been in cabin fever for two months and we are not in our normal spirit of joy. I am so afraid that people are going to come to Shul and see someone else may be standing too close or with a mask that is not properly worn or without a mask. That such people are going to end up being involved in a Machlokes. Chas V’shalom, Machlokes is far more dangerous than any virus in the world. Machlokes between Yidden especially if people are going to have a Machlokes in Shul. Please, when we go back to Shul do it with an Ayin Tov. Bring Beracha to everyone around you. It should be with a great joy and a great Hatzlacha.

meanwhile:

Rabbi Reisman's shul is my shul the Rav was coordinating all the minyanim since Thursday between the main shul, ezras nashim, and simcha hall.
I've seen him at almost every minyan so far and everyone is keeping to all his guidelines. Everyone at every minyan was wearing a mask.
Rabbi Reisman is doing an amazing job!

« Last edited by YitzyS on May 24, 2020, 05:06:38 PM »

Author Topic: So How Was Your Shul This Week?  (Read 62251 times)

Offline moko

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: So How Was Your Shul This Week?
« Reply #340 on: August 02, 2020, 04:54:00 PM »
Why isn’t there a dislike button?
YouTube style 👍👎

Offline Lurker

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #341 on: August 02, 2020, 04:54:24 PM »
I really find it interesting that march/april/may all the shuls in florida, California, Cleveland or wherever it maybe were all closed when those states were barely hit at all by covid. Now that florida and California have 10k cases a day each, the shuls were able to figure out how to open safely with masks and SD. Bunch of hypocrites, sad.

1) CA and FL were both hit pretty solidly in March, but shut down completely for at least 3-4 weeks, which helped cut the spread.
2) it is unquestionably less fatal to contract Covid now than in March or April, leading people to be more comfortable with the risk.
3) many shuls are not fully open, and many shuls are not open safely.
4) people here are getting the virus and people here are dying. Shuls being open doesn't mean everything is cool.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #342 on: August 02, 2020, 04:55:45 PM »
And you think that was because they didn't wear masks in shul? Or maybe that thousands of frum people already had it by purim time and just gave it to everyone. 2 weeks after pesach there wasn't any less risk then now. If closing was a preventative measure, then nothing has changed yet.
Life is about iteration and learning. You seem to lack that understanding and any semblance of nuance or risk tolerance.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #343 on: August 02, 2020, 04:58:10 PM »
And you think that was because they didn't wear masks in shul? Or maybe that thousands of frum people already had it by purim time and just gave it to everyone. 2 weeks after pesach there wasn't any less risk then now. If closing was a preventative measure, then nothing has changed yet.

It most definitely could have been avoided if masks and SD were implemented in all shuls and weddings right after Chanukah.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #344 on: August 02, 2020, 06:09:36 PM »
I really find it interesting that march/april/may all the shuls in florida, California, Cleveland or wherever it maybe were all closed when those states were barely hit at all by covid. Now that florida and California have 10k cases a day each, the shuls were able to figure out how to open safely with masks and SD. Bunch of hypocrites, sad.
Anyone who adjusts for new info is a hypocrite? If you feel that way it explains a lot.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline yaakov35

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: August 02, 2020, 06:20:16 PM »
Anyone who adjusts for new info is a hypocrite? If you feel that way it explains a lot.
What new info? I haven't heard any developments, have you?

Offline yaakov35

• View Profile
« Reply #346 on: August 02, 2020, 06:24:45 PM »
Life is about iteration and learning. You seem to lack that understanding and any semblance of nuance or risk tolerance.
But what changed? There's still no vaccine or an end in sight, only difference is people are just less scared now. Is it any safer now to be indoors and SD then it was 3 months ago? 4 months ago when people did they were crazy now its OK. And there have been 0 developments in regards to indoor activities and to the contrary they've only come out that its worse. Glatter said he knows the facts and that its murder to daven with an outdoor minyan, did covid change? No. And I'm sorry if you can't see the difference between someone saying a few months ago that davening with a minyan isn't smart vs saying its murder. The kind of things people were saying about it then does not change with the times.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #347 on: August 02, 2020, 06:26:30 PM »
But what changed? There's still no vaccine or an end in sight, only difference is people are just less scared now. Is it any safer now to be indoors and SD then it was 3 months ago? 4 months ago when people did they were crazy now its OK. And there have been 0 developments in regards to indoor activities and to the contrary they've only come out that its worse. Glatter said he knows the facts and that its murder to daven with an outdoor minyan, did covid change? No. And I'm sorry if you can't see the difference between someone saying a few months ago that davening with a minyan isn't smart vs saying its murder. The kind of things people were saying about it then does not change with the times.
Are you asking what changed other than people no longer dropping dead by the dozen?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #348 on: August 02, 2020, 06:44:09 PM »
Are you asking what changed other than people no longer dropping dead by the dozen?

Which has what correlation to masks? Shul closing? Etc?
-- Dan

Offline yaakov35

• View Profile
« Reply #349 on: August 02, 2020, 06:47:38 PM »
That happened for a few weeks. And that was only in local communities. I was asking about outside ny/nj where people were not dying like crazy. Scientifically I want to know what changed in all these communities that now they can "safely" have minyanim but then they couldn't.

Offline EliJelly

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: August 02, 2020, 06:50:34 PM »
Extreme measures have an expiration date.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: August 02, 2020, 07:02:51 PM »
That happened for a few weeks. And that was only in local communities. I was asking about outside ny/nj where people were not dying like crazy. Scientifically I want to know what changed in all these communities that now they can "safely" have minyanim but then they couldn't.
And everyone expected it to quickly spread like that to other communities.
That's why other communities went to the extreme and have been easing back slowly, with medical and rabbinical guidance. This isn't rocket science, it's common sense.

Offline Sam Finkelstein

• View Profile
« Reply #352 on: August 02, 2020, 07:04:10 PM »
Another major factor was that masks were not known to be effective.
Formula for success: rise early, work hard, strike oil. –J. Paul Getty

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: August 02, 2020, 07:11:35 PM »

Offline yesitsme

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: August 02, 2020, 07:47:12 PM »
Another major factor was that masks were not known to be effective.
Because there wasn't any available
["-"]

Offline Sam Finkelstein

• View Profile
« Reply #355 on: August 02, 2020, 07:49:13 PM »
However you look at it, calling any OOT Shul which was closed in April yet open now hypocritical ignores the fact that despite little change in cases/fatalities, a lot has changed regarding our ability to more effectively and precisely slow the spread.
Formula for success: rise early, work hard, strike oil. –J. Paul Getty

Offline shaulyaakov

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: August 03, 2020, 06:36:31 AM »
However you look at it, calling any OOT Shul which was closed in April yet open now hypocritical ignores the fact that despite little change in cases/fatalities, a lot has changed regarding our ability to more effectively and precisely slow the spread.
The spread is not being slowed! The only thing being slowed is the rate, as compared to April. We're worse off now than we were in May.

Offline avromie7

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: August 03, 2020, 09:35:18 AM »
The spread is not being slowed! The only thing being slowed is the rate.
How do you reconcile these 2 sentences?
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #358 on: August 03, 2020, 10:02:17 AM »
How do you reconcile these 2 sentences?

This is all a heavenly decree, hence נמנע הנמנעות.
-- Dan

Offline yaakov35

• View Profile
« Reply #359 on: August 03, 2020, 10:13:28 AM »
The spread is not being slowed! The only thing being slowed is the rate, as compared to April. We're worse off now than we were in May.
Precisely my point. So I find it interesting that these places are easing up now. Doesn't seem to make any sense.