Author Topic: Breaking or dealing with a U fare Delta ticket  (Read 1055 times)

Offline PETERP

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Breaking or dealing with a U fare Delta ticket
« on: November 24, 2011, 11:13:19 AM »
 Hi Guys ,
Here is my problem . My wife is holding a RT coach DL paid  u fare class  both ways Exe ATH DEC 16th returning Jan 9th . Work was cancelled and now we want her to stay NYC till either Feb 2nd or Peferably Feb 6th.

I was prepared to pay a reticketing fee, but DL ATH says its a non refundable changeable ticket? Use it or lose it . I dont buy that

I have cancelled this class ticket in the past EXE JFK due to Medical condition and fully refunded it to my Amex card via disputed charge and then DL approved and refunded it totally. That was easier as I was hospitalized .  I could/did not have to prove it .Just a drs note .

I have some leverage since I charged this card on amex , but that $1000 was part of my spend to get the 100K sign up bonus

I can get Drs note from USA for the return flight or pray for a snowstorm or something that give me leverage.

If I changed strategy ,  got her  a DL award ticket once she is in NYC for the dates she wants for the JFK ATH flight, and extend as late as possible for her once yearly trip ATH NYC , could I fight and get reimbursed for the unsed portion of her ticket?

I have heard in the past that a ticket of any fare class is just to guaranty a reserved seat, and as long as you are prepared to travel standby they can not refuse to honor ticket up to one year from issuance.

I would prolly prefer to have her yearly flights originate from NYC from now on cause award availabilty is better in BE or J or whatever you want to call business class. Also taxes EXE JFK are $80 and EXE ATH around $500.

I also have a load of AA miles and could get her back to ATH but I prefer to have her future flights RT originate at JFK

Ideas guys ?

Thanks