Topic Wiki

https://ultimaterewardspoints.chase.com/pay-yourself-back

Sapphire Reserve
With the Pay Yourself Back tool, your Ultimate Rewards points are worth 50% more when you redeem them for statement credits against purchases in our current categories: grocery stores, dining (including restaurants, takeout, and eligible delivery services), and home improvement stores such as Home Depot and Lowes. Just choose an eligible purchase you made in the past 90 days, apply points for all or part of the purchase, and you’ll get a statement credit. Take advantage of this promotion through September 30, 2020.

Sapphire Preferred
With the Pay Yourself Back tool, your Ultimate Rewards points are worth 25% more when you redeem them for statement credits against purchases in our current categories: grocery stores, dining (including restaurants, takeout, and eligible delivery services), and home improvement stores such as Home Depot and Lowes. Just choose an eligible purchase you made in the past 90 days, apply points for all or part of the purchase, and you’ll get a statement credit. Take advantage of this promotion through September 30, 2020.

--

Ultimate Rewards points may be redeemed for a statement credit to Pay Yourself Back for purchases made at select merchants within the 90 days before the redemption request date.
Currently, only purchases made with your Chase card with Ultimate Rewards at restaurants and grocery stores (including takeout & eligible delivery services), and home improvement stores will qualify. For information about Chase rewards categories and an example of eligible merchants, please see our FAQs.
Categories, eligible merchants, and purchase transaction eligibility may change from time to time without notice.
Redemptions require a minimum of 1 point.
Each point you redeem for a statement credit towards eligible Pay Yourself Back purchases is worth $0.015, which means that 100 points equals $1.50 in redemption value. Chase has the right to change redemption values at any time.
Statement credits will post to the card account within 3 business days of a request to redeem and will appear on the monthly Chase credit card billing statement within 1-2 billing cycles.
Statement credits will reduce your balance but you are still required to make at least your minimum payment. Chase reserves the right to determine which purchases qualify for a statement credit.
Even though a merchant or some of the items that it sells may appear to fit within a rewards category, the merchant may not have a merchant code in that category. When this occurs, purchases with that merchant won't qualify for rewards offers on purchases in that category

https://www.chase.com/personal/credit-cards/sapphire-reserve-benefits
https://www.chase.com/personal/credit-cards/sapphire-preferred-benefits
\
F&Q https://ultimaterewardspoints.chase.com/faq?topic=4700000

« Last edited by Joel on May 31, 2020, 08:19:03 AM »

Author Topic: Chase added benefits! Redeem points @1.5  (Read 29817 times)

Offline TheDroid

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Chase added benefits! Redeem points @1.5
« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2020, 12:03:13 AM »
I was under the assumption that you can product change as often as you want. I guess you always have to think about the risk of Chase AA.
See this comment and Dan’s response.
https://www.dansdeals.com/credit-cards/chase-ink-preferreds-mega-80000-point-signup-bonus-versatility-apply-card-today/#comment-1431649

Don't forget your account needs to be open at least a year before making any changes, once you hit that mark you can change as much as you piss Chase off.

And I personally hate the usage "Chase AA" as AA is commonly referred to so many other things. They should be unique like PGFHGS. Maybe CCHGS?

Took advantage in May purchased $1500 VGC at s&s got 5% and 3x on gas  paid by redeeming 100k I look at it as 7.5% return +free gas
Plan on doing it one more time in June
How can your redemption be a 7.5% return?

Offline haltkup

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2020, 12:10:17 AM »
And I personally hate the usage "Chase AA" as AA is commonly referred to so many other things. They should be unique like PGFHGS. Maybe CCHGS?
How can your redemption be a 7.5% return?
[/quote]
only $1500 is at 7.5% (1500 *5%with 50% bonus on redemption) I was going to redeem anyway for 1.5 points and getting it in VGC this month had the added bonus of free gas, 5%, and the opportunity to use it anywhere

Offline Geshmak25

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2020, 06:53:21 AM »
Friend was told 550. He was also able to redeem prior purchases almost instantaneously.

I SMed and they also said 550. I replied by asking whether that would still be the case if I upgraded in July and am waiting for a response.
"The annual fee increase from $450.00 to $550.00 for existing Chase Sapphire Reserve customers has been postponed until 2021. Customers who product change​ to Sapphire Reserve credit card will be charged a $550.00 annual fee ."
PUTPAC = PITA

Offline ROYA

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2020, 09:27:40 AM »
I was going to modify my post to say A/A but it doesn't allow me to do that anymore. It stands for Adverse Action. See the link below for a list of acronyms that you can use when having trouble figuring one out.
https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=10531.0
only $1500 is at 7.5% (1500 *5%with 50% bonus on redemption) I was going to redeem anyway for 1.5 points and getting it in VGC this month had the added bonus of free gas, 5%, and the opportunity to use it anywhere
Not sure why that makes it free gas. Points are worth $. You used points for the gas.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 09:34:01 AM by ROYA »

Offline srap

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2020, 10:10:45 AM »
...Not sure why that makes it free gas. Points are worth $. You used points for the gas.
By using S&S/Fuel Rewards reward points for gas which he received by using the Chase card at the store.

Offline farmbochur

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2020, 10:25:17 AM »
By using S&S/Fuel Rewards reward points for gas which he received by using the Chase card at the store.
Fuel rewards are also worth $. No such thing as a free lunch
Risk is opportunity

Offline ROYA

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 01, 2020, 10:29:46 AM »
Fuel rewards are also worth $. No such thing as a free lunch
That does count as free IMHO. Just wasn't understanding what he meant.

Offline TheDroid

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 01, 2020, 01:47:16 PM »
I was going to modify my post to say A/A but it doesn't allow me to do that anymore. It stands for Adverse Action. See the link below for a list of acronyms that you can use when having trouble figuring one out.
https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=10531.0Not sure why that makes it free gas. Points are worth $. You used points for the gas.

I know you meant Adverse Action. But I'm trying to say maybe we need something more unique.
AA is just way too common. On my last trip to Asia, AA means AirAsia. On my last cruise, AA means Alcoholics Anonymous. In UK it is their AAA.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #48 on: June 01, 2020, 02:00:16 PM »
I know you meant Adverse Action. But I'm trying to say maybe we need something more unique.
AA is just way too common. On my last trip to Asia, AA means AirAsia. On my last cruise, AA means Alcoholics Anonymous. In UK it is their AAA.
That's why the abbreviation on DDF is A/A.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline CountValentine

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #49 on: June 01, 2020, 02:48:43 PM »
...and in the MS/churning world AA means Adverse Action.
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline normathej

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 02, 2020, 10:32:29 AM »
"The annual fee increase from $450.00 to $550.00 for existing Chase Sapphire Reserve customers has been postponed until 2021. Customers who product change​ to Sapphire Reserve credit card will be charged a $550.00 annual fee ."

What if you apply for a new Sapphire Reserve in July, as opposed to upgrading. Will it still be $550?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #51 on: June 02, 2020, 10:34:15 AM »
Several DDMS commenters being told $450 upon upgrading.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Geshmak25

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 02, 2020, 10:38:57 AM »
Guess it depends on the agent. If the agent says 450 and you are charged 550 will you be able to dispute (even if the upgrade letter says 550)?
PUTPAC = PITA

Offline Malachi

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 02, 2020, 10:39:13 AM »
I was told 550. Once the fee hits I’ll try to report back
Denny Crane

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 02, 2020, 10:50:56 AM »
Guess it depends on the agent. If the agent says 450 and you are charged 550 will you be able to dispute (even if the upgrade letter says 550)?
I would. They keep recordings, so note the time of the call and take your own recording.

Offline Joel

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 76
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, National EE, Hertz PC, Enterprise Platinum, Avis PC
« Reply #55 on: June 02, 2020, 12:32:30 PM »
My father upgraded yesterday he was told $550 lets hope thats not true when the fee posts

Offline farmbochur

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 02, 2020, 01:25:12 PM »
Does it make sense to proactively spend on your CSR to cash out UR at 1.5?

Here's an analysis I threw together.

Key:

Columns B & C examine the profit for someone looking to put spend on their CSR for purposes of cashing out UR at 1.5 CPP.

Column D examines the profit for the next best option for grocery spend. In my situation, that's earning 12 PPD on the Hilton Aspire.

Feel free to adjust the CPP in row 8 to suit your situation. I'm sure many will argue that the CPP should be in the 1.5 - 3.0 based on redemption value for aspirational awards, but I think there are 2 important considerations.

1. Do you earn points faster than you can practically redeem?

2. COVID may severely limit your travel in the near term. If comparing cash today to miles redeemed tomorrow, it makes sense to discount the value of the miles.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 01:49:46 PM by farmbochur »
Risk is opportunity

Offline TheDroid

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 02, 2020, 01:34:51 PM »

I thought the official communication was $450 for 'renewals'.
I don't suggest this as an expectation but rather luck.

Those that might get $450 undetected is who upgraded and their account anniversary falls during July-December. (DP needed)

Offline ROYA

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 02, 2020, 09:35:09 PM »
Is it frowned upon to upgrade and take advantage of the $300 credit and the 1.5% redemption and then downgrade not long after??
I haven't heard of that being an A/A trigger, but anything is possible.
Quote from DDMS article: "But the painful lessons here are obvious. Don’t try to scam the system or you’ll face jail time. And don’t hand over your credit information or credit cards to anyone else for any price."
Would the above be considered scamming the system? Or are we just talking about a calculated risk. The reason I keep bringing it up is because I'm not sure how much sense it makes to pay the annual fee in exchange for the recent enhanced benefits..
Another example would be when people took advantage of the $1,500 credit limit_No annual fee loop hole..

Offline Geshmak25

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 02, 2020, 10:11:55 PM »
The reason I keep bringing it up is because I'm not sure how much sense it makes to pay the annual fee in exchange for the recent enhanced benefits..
So then maybe dont upgrade? Or do it and live with the consequences (which most likely will not end in jail time lol).

Personally, if I were thinking of upgrading/downgrading to avail myself of the 1.5 redemption option I would not use up the $300 travel credit. That feels like its taking too much advantage. But everyone has different feelings on these issues...
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 10:30:38 PM by Geshmak25 »
PUTPAC = PITA