Author Topic: Violent protests erupt across the country  (Read 185228 times)

Online CountValentine

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
Re: Violent protests erupt across the country
« Reply #1740 on: April 14, 2021, 01:31:28 PM »
You are free to feel differently, but I'd like to know why you disagree.
He did nothing to put himself in a situation where a normal person would have thought they would be killed.

While it may not be politically correct,
This has nothing to do with being political correct.
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #1741 on: April 14, 2021, 01:33:05 PM »
Did they?
I don't know but would bet yes.

Offline Lurker

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #1742 on: April 14, 2021, 01:42:35 PM »
You like many others missed the point. Did the police act different because the person they were stopping was black?
I don't know but would bet yes.

I asked if anything was done that wasn't exactly to protocol, up until the moment the man was shot. You didn't answer that question, but you assume yes, and you assume it was because of his race. How is that ok? I'm with you on pointing out members' biases here, but if you don't acknowledge your own, you won't be effective.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #1743 on: April 14, 2021, 01:47:18 PM »
He did nothing to put himself in a situation where a normal person would have thought they would be killed.

100% has nothing to do with PC. However, if I have an outstanding warrant for armed robbery with an unlicensed handgun, I'm going to assume any future interaction with LE, especially one in which I'm uncooperative and attempt to flee, has a significantly increased chance in ending with my death.

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #1744 on: April 14, 2021, 01:53:13 PM »
I asked if anything was done that wasn't exactly to protocol, up until the moment the man was shot. You didn't answer that question, but you assume yes, and you assume it was because of his race. How is that ok? I'm with you on pointing out members' biases here, but if you don't acknowledge your own, you won't be effective.
I am biased because I believe blacks are treated differently when stopped? What world are you living in?
I live in a mostly all white village. I can't tell you how many times I have seen a black kid sitting on the curb next to his car surrounded by cops. This is SOP.

Your question reads like: What did I do wrong up until the moment I pulled out a knife and stabbed him 36 times?  ::)

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #1745 on: April 14, 2021, 02:00:17 PM »
I am biased because I believe blacks are treated differently when stopped? What world are you living in?
I live in a mostly all white village. I can't tell you how many times I have seen a black kid sitting on the curb next to his car surrounded by cops. This is SOP.

Your question reads like: What did I do wrong up until the moment I pulled out a knife and stabbed him 36 times?  ::)
It was involuntary manslaughter.

You and I agree that Blacks are treated differently by the cops more often than they should be. We agree that this should be involuntary manslaughter. What I'm not getting is why you think it's ok to profile LEO as being racist while complain about LEO profiling Blacks.

And my question doesn't read the way you framed it. It reads exactly as I asked it: other than you profiling LE, what leads you to believe race was a factor?

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #1746 on: April 14, 2021, 02:11:03 PM »
I base him being treated differently on personal experience and having a ton of friends and family in LE.
Do we need to get into studies that say blacks (especially youth) are treaded differently?

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #1747 on: April 14, 2021, 02:19:36 PM »
I base him being treated differently on personal experience and having a ton of friends and family in LE.
Do we need to get into studies that say blacks (especially youth) are treaded differently?

For every study you have showing Blacks being treated differently, someone here will bring one showing either how they aren't, or how it may be justified. For every personal experience you've had with racism, someone here will tell you how 99% of violent crime in their neighborhood is committed by a Black person. Why are your experiences and studies worth more than theirs? I'm all for calling out bias in the name of objectivity, but calling out bias because it isn't the same as yours? C'mon man...

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #1748 on: April 14, 2021, 02:26:07 PM »
For every study you have showing Blacks being treated differently, someone here will bring one showing either how they aren't, or how it may be justified. For every personal experience you've had with racism, someone here will tell you how 99% of violent crime in their neighborhood is committed by a Black person. Why are your experiences and studies worth more than theirs? I'm all for calling out bias in the name of objectivity, but calling out bias because it isn't the same as yours? C'mon man...
This sounds like a covid argument on wearing masks. Have a good day.

First four results of a simple search.
https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2020/06/03/10-things-we-know-about-race-and-policing-in-the-u-s/
https://www.thedailybeast.com/barr-admits-cops-treat-black-people-differently-but-then-says-its-not-because-of-racism
https://www.prisonpolicy.org/blog/2017/06/08/bodycams/
https://www.cato.org/blog/do-police-treat-all-races-equally
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 02:30:50 PM by CountValentine »

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #1749 on: April 14, 2021, 02:41:38 PM »

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #1750 on: April 14, 2021, 02:57:27 PM »
What does any of that have to do with you looking at this case objectively? All you're saying is that profiling is OK, as long as you're doing it to the people it's currently socially acceptable to profile.
It is factually to say in general blacks get treaded differently when stopped. This is backed up by polls, studies and stats. That is not a bias.
Believing Biden won the election is not a bias.
Believing mask help stop the spread of covid is not a bias.
Believing Jews are targeted more than other minorities is not a bias.
You can't have a discussion if basic facts are ignored.

At no time did I call anyone involved a racist or racism was involved. I said I would bet. My betting track record is pretty good.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #1751 on: April 14, 2021, 03:11:55 PM »
It is factually to say in general blacks get treaded differently when stopped. This is backed up by polls, studies and stats. That is not a bias.
Believing Biden won the election is not a bias.
Believing mask help stop the spread of covid is not a bias.
Believing Jews are targeted more than other minorities is not a bias.
You can't have a discussion if basic facts are ignored.

At no time did I call anyone involved a racist or racism was involved. I said I would bet. My betting track record is pretty good.

You're saying that you would bet racism is involved, despite not knowing anything about this officer other than her race and her job, based on "facts." That's profiling. That's the same thing you fault LE and other members for doing. Pot, meet kettle.

Offline EliJelly

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1752 on: April 14, 2021, 03:14:24 PM »
What does any of that have to do with you looking at this case objectively? All you're saying is that profiling is OK, as long as you're doing it to the people it's currently socially acceptable to profile.
+1k

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #1753 on: April 14, 2021, 03:23:07 PM »
You're saying that you would bet racism is involved, despite not knowing anything about this officer other than her race and her job, based on "facts." That's profiling. That's the same thing you fault LE and other members for doing. Pot, meet kettle.
I said I would bet they treated him differently. I don't know if they did or didn't but based on polls, studies and stats the odds are in my favor. I see pretzels are still selling big time here.

Offline EliJelly

• View Profile
« Reply #1754 on: April 14, 2021, 03:27:03 PM »
I said I would bet they treated him differently. I don't know if they did or didn't but based on polls, studies and stats the odds are in my favor. I see pretzels are still selling big time here.
Pretzels and kool aid combo

Online CountValentine

• View Profile

Offline yuneeq

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #1756 on: April 14, 2021, 06:21:30 PM »

So this is where we differ, I believe

if I have an outstanding warrant for armed robbery with an unlicensed handgun, I'm going to assume any future interaction with LE, especially one in which I'm uncooperative and attempt to flee, has a significantly increased chance in ending with my death.

Contrast that with a recent example of the extreme opposite - Caron Nazario - was very wise not to attempt unbuckling his seat belt when the pig was trigger-itchy. Caron's situational awareness helped him go above and beyond the normal responsibility level and that very possibly kept him alive.

I hope so, it's hard to know these days.
Visibly Jewish

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #1757 on: April 14, 2021, 08:10:47 PM »
So this is where we differ, I believe
It comes down to simple "victim blaming".

A Jew can be attacked just because of the way he/she dresses. No one in their right mind would blame the Jew for dressing a certain way.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 08:22:31 PM by CountValentine »

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #1758 on: April 14, 2021, 08:31:06 PM »

A Jew can be attacked just because of the way he/she dresses. No one in their right mind would blame the Jew for dressing a certain way.

Sorry, are you equating a Black man having a criminal record and not complying with the police to a Jew dressing a certain way? I know you're not, so maybe rephrase that...

Offline EliJelly

• View Profile
« Reply #1759 on: April 14, 2021, 08:36:39 PM »

And who even remembers that a criminal record, an open warrant on illegal firearms, and escaping from officers was a central part of the discussion. ::)