Author Topic: Aegean Silver - Best way to reach  (Read 1869 times)

Offline Abe100

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Aegean Silver - Best way to reach
« on: May 31, 2020, 03:52:21 AM »
Looking to obtain Aegean Silver status.

Is there any way to reach it without actually flying? A google search brings up an indirect option with the Amex Platinum UK version.

I have the American version of the Amex business platinum.

Or maybe is there a way to get it by transferring Chase or Amex points to any star alliance member?

Offline El Capitan

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Haha I wish!
Re: Aegean Silver - Best way to reach
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2020, 08:21:21 AM »
Looking to obtain Aegean Silver status.

Is there any way to reach it without actually flying? A google search brings up an indirect option with the Amex Platinum UK version.

I have the American version of the Amex business platinum.

Or maybe is there a way to get it by transferring Chase or Amex points to any star alliance member?
AFAIK no US CC program (besides bonvoy...) transfers to Aegean. That being said if you happen to have a lot of bonvoy points maybe if you transfer something like 65k to Aegean will get it done but that's just my guess.
Still looking for a good MS method :)

Offline Abe100

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2020, 10:08:37 AM »
AFAIK no US CC program (besides bonvoy...) transfers to Aegean. That being said if you happen to have a lot of bonvoy points maybe if you transfer something like 65k to Aegean will get it done but that's just my guess.

I actually have 60k bonvoy to transfer, just want to make sure it will give me status.

Per Aegean rules,  I need 5,308 tier miles with 2 Aegean flights, or 17,308 miles regardless of partner airline. Can any one confirm that transferred miles will qualify as well or has to be flight miles.

Thanks for your help!

Offline bmw

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2020, 11:55:46 AM »
i would assume it means from flyng

Offline Abe100

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2020, 07:08:15 PM »
i would assume it means from flyng

Can anyone confirm this? Do I need miles flown to get silver or will miles transferred in qualify as well?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2020, 07:09:52 PM »
Why do you want Silver?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Abe100

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2020, 09:30:21 PM »
Why do you want Silver?

It allows to combine miles from multiple accounts. I did Ewr-tlv RT on United with my wife and 4 kids, so I have 6k+ miles x 6

If combined it's above 40k miles in 1 account

Offline TheDroid

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2020, 11:16:57 PM »
I actually have 60k bonvoy to transfer, just want to make sure it will give me status.

If you read the t&c (which 99.99% doesn't), you will learn that transfers don't get you tier miles.
As a rule of thumb, no transfer from anything to anything will give you status miles/points. Or no you CANNOT transfer your way to elite status EVER.

It allows to combine miles from multiple accounts. I did Ewr-tlv RT on United with my wife and 4 kids, so I have 6k+ miles x 6

If combined it's above 40k miles in 1 account

One thing you should consider before pooling miles. What is your redemption goals. Not all redemptions are best with Aegean, especially those surcharges.
Another option is do your kids a favor and let them build their mile balance. Unless you are not taking your family on a flight ever again, cashing out miles make sense.

Offline Abe100

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2020, 08:34:55 PM »
If you read the t&c (which 99.99% doesn't), you will learn that transfers don't get you tier miles.
As a rule of thumb, no transfer from anything to anything will give you status miles/points. Or no you CANNOT transfer your way to elite status EVER.

I looked up the T&C and you are right, the word tier miles refer to special status miles earned separately than redeemable miles. I'm not so familiar with millage terms, so I didn't know that... I actually found the T&C very informative.

However, there is a way to earn star alliance silver with a UK CC, see attached link. I was wondering if there is anything similar with the US Amex cards
https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/02/09/how-to-get-free-star-alliance-silver-with-amex-platinum/

Offline Abe100

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2020, 09:17:04 PM »

One thing you should consider before pooling miles. What is your redemption goals. Not all redemptions are best with Aegean, especially those surcharges.
Another option is do your kids a favor and let them build their mile balance. Unless you are not taking your family on a flight ever again, cashing out miles make sense.

I didn't understand your second point, sorry. Why in the world would I let the miles collect dust in those accounts? It's def prone to inflation (devaluation)

I target my CC spending on bank currencies, mostly Chase UR, getting a minimum of 1.5 value, and not having to search for avail awards. In fact, those miles earned were from flights paid with Chase points. It would have been a challenge to find 6 award tickets with points on 1 flight.

When I fly with my wife or alone I will look for business class and then transfer to miles, did it in the past with united.

In any case, it makes much more sense to have them in 1 account so it's more readily redeemable. I did credit to Aegean mostly because they have this "together" feature. I would have had to travel 10 times with the kids in order for them to have a meaningful balance of miles in their accounts.

Offline points 99

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2020, 10:02:12 PM »
Another option would be to credit the flights to Egyptair. They allow crediting family member points into one account, and I think that those points all count towards the primary member's status.

I didn't understand your second point, sorry. Why in the world would I let the miles collect dust in those accounts? It's def prone to inflation (devaluation)

I target my CC spending on bank currencies, mostly Chase UR, getting a minimum of 1.5 value, and not having to search for avail awards. In fact, those miles earned were from flights paid with Chase points. It would have been a challenge to find 6 award tickets with points on 1 flight.

When I fly with my wife or alone I will look for business class and then transfer to miles, did it in the past with united.

In any case, it makes much more sense to have them in 1 account so it's more readily redeemable. I did credit to Aegean mostly because they have this "together" feature. I would have had to travel 10 times with the kids in order for them to have a meaningful balance of miles in their accounts.

Offline Danlover111

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2020, 05:10:32 AM »
i have Aegean silver, would united match it?