Author Topic: 12 Day Midwest Roadtrip - Arizona, Utah, Idaho, and Wyoming  (Read 7667 times)

Offline MahRabuMasecha

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: 12 Day Midwest Roadtrip - Arizona, Utah, Idaho, and Wyoming
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2016, 09:14:29 PM »
I'm following this TR because I'm looking forward to doing a very similar trip in two weeks be"H, though we'll be starting from Vegas (Hoover Dam!) and heading down to Zion, Page, Grand Canyon, Sedona, and then a flight home from Phoenix.
How early do we need to get to the Grand Canyon to make it in time for sunset? We'll be coming from Sedona in the late afternoon and wonder how early we need to arrive to our hotel in Tusayan, outside the park.
Thanks for a great TR. Can't wait to hear about Zion!

Offline ShlockDoc

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2016, 02:04:05 AM »
Sorry that I haven't updated in a while. Had no internet signal for 2 days in Yellowstone. 

Offline ShlockDoc

• View Profile
12 Day Midwest Roadtrip - Arizona, Utah, Idaho, and Wyoming
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2016, 02:05:44 AM »
Day Five

Activity:
Glitter Mountain - my wife found on Pinterest a hidden gem (pardon the expression) of a place where one can bring their own hammer and chisel and can break away gypsum from the mountain.  It's a little bit of an adventure to get to buy a lot of fun.  DW found this hand drawn map online to help find how to get there. 

Activity:
Zion National Park - Another National Treasure. Enough has already been written about how amazing this park is.  I'll just tell you what we did that was kid-friendly.  We really wanted to face our fears and hike up to Angels Landing but the weather looking threatening and we didn't want to get caught up there in a storm.  So we took the shuttle to the last stop, Temple of Sinawava and walked the Riverside Trail. Just as you enter the trail there's a turn to the left to walk along the actual riverbank, that was a lot more fun.  After that we took the shuttle to The Grotto and walked from there to the Emerald Pool Trail. The end of the Lower Trail was really cool, DW and I wanted to continue but the kids got kvetchy so we headed back to the car and left.

On our way out of the park we saw a huge herd of Bison which was a real treat!

The drive to Bryce was absolutely stunning.  Again, my kids didn't even touch their kindles. 

Activity:
Bryce Canyon - Another sight that can not be explained or photographed. Simply breathtaking. We stopped at the visitor center to watch the video and get an intro to what we'll see.  Then we went to Sunrise Point and Inspiration Point. At Inspiration Point there was a short little hike down into the canyon that puts you right up against the formations.  The whole experience is impossible to explain, it's just so amazing.

It was time to start making our way up toward Yellowstone. We decided to spend shabbos in Salt Lake City on the way, but that's a pretty long drive. So we headed out and spent the night in Beaver, UT. It was a Comfort Inn and Suites that I booked with Choice Points. And my Gold status got us the family suite which was roomy and comfortable.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 02:37:41 AM by ShlockDoc »

Offline ShlockDoc

• View Profile
12 Day Midwest Roadtrip - Arizona, Utah, Idaho, and Wyoming
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2016, 02:33:27 AM »
Day Six - Erev Shabbos

We woke up in Beaver, UT and made our way up to Salt Lake City.  We stopped off at Kosher TO Go, a family run business under the hashgacha of the local Chabad. They charge an absolute fortune so we brought our own shabbos food but wanted fresh challah so we ordered from her and picked it up along with a bottle of grape juice on Friday. 

Then we stopped at the Chabad house to get a yarmulke because one of my sons lost his along the way and didn't want to wear a baseball cap all shabbos.  It was a beautiful building but the rabbi wasn't the friendliest in the world. I put $5 in his pushka anyway for the yarmulke.

Activity:
Olympic Park - This was the site that hosted the Winter Olympics in 2002.  There is a lot to see especially if Olympians are training there as they often do, even in the summer.   There are a lot of touristy rides that are super expensive so we skipped them but still and a great time. Standing next to the bobsled track and watching it zoom past you is an awesome experience.  The museum is interesting too, lots of interesting olympics artifacts. Well worth the visit and time.

Food:
The local grocery store chain is Smith's. We went into the one closest to the place we were staying and they had all of the usual kosher stuff you'd find in any grocery store. They did have the cutest little kosher section with mostly useless stuff but it was the thought that counts.  Although if I had known about it, I would have bought the grape juice there instead of paying almost double at Kosher To Go. Oh well, it's nice to support a small, family-owned business.

For shabbos we rented an AirBNB using the plentiful gift cards we had saved up from the Amex offer.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 02:39:49 AM by ShlockDoc »

Offline ShlockDoc

• View Profile
Re: Midwest Roadtrip - Arizona, Utah, Idaho, Wyoming
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2016, 02:45:16 AM »
Gr8 TR

Bringing back memories from my short trip to Sedona and GC.

Where all hotels booked in advance or you did drive up?

All were booked in advance. You really have to in this area in the summer. Everything is sold out.

Offline ShlockDoc

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2016, 03:00:06 AM »
I'm following this TR because I'm looking forward to doing a very similar trip in two weeks be"H, though we'll be starting from Vegas (Hoover Dam!) and heading down to Zion, Page, Grand Canyon, Sedona, and then a flight home from Phoenix.
How early do we need to get to the Grand Canyon to make it in time for sunset? We'll be coming from Sedona in the late afternoon and wonder how early we need to arrive to our hotel in Tusayan, outside the park.
Thanks for a great TR. Can't wait to hear about Zion!

You can't drive to the eastern lookup points so you'll need to find parking and take a shuttle. Add some time for that because parking will be difficult. 

Definitely squeeze Bryce into your itinerary.  It's a sight that you will not want to miss.  You can do it in under an hour if you're in a rush. Just stop at a couple of points, walk down a little and move on.

Offline Galitzyaner

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2016, 03:05:31 PM »
Beautiful! Keep it coming!

Offline ari9

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2016, 08:50:12 PM »
loving this TR, thank you!

Offline ShlockDoc

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2016, 04:13:28 PM »
Day Seven - Shabbos

Activity:
Morning Temple Square - So this may be a little controversial, but this is a TR, not a halacha class.   We woke up late, had lunch and then went to Temple Square which was only a block away from our Airbnb apartment.  It really is a fascinating place with a lot to see.  I especially love learning about other religions, their history and beliefs, so this was a real treat.

I prepped my sons about the religious side of the visit and how we view Mormonism and Christianity, etc.  I'm quite open with them about what's out there and I thought this would be a good experience for them too. 

We didn't need payment or ID so didn't need to carry anything.  The museum had an automatic door so we just waited for someone else to go through first. Other than that we were able to walk around freely.  They have a tons of young female missionaries from around the world that hang around and try to talk to you. Some of them were pretty Jesus pushy and some of them were more laid back.  We had some fascinating conversations and learned a ton.  The artwork is gorgeous.

Then we decided to take the tour.  It is offered for free in any of 50 languages.  It was interesting to learn the history of the buildings at first but then got too preachy about halfway through so we got uncomfortable and separated from the tour.

Lastly there was a recital of the Tabernacle Organ. That was one thing I had never heard.  I thought it was going to be amazing but it was just OK. The world famous Mormon Tabernacle Choir was going to practice the next morning but we were heading out so couldn't watch.

Activity:
City Creek Center - An outdoor mall that's fun to walk through.  They have toy stores that the kids liked to play it and all kinds of shops.  Was a fun Shabbos afternoon activity.

That was Shabbos, we watched some Olympics on TV after havdala and then went to sleep. A lot to do tomorrow at Yellowstone!

Offline stbaum

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2016, 04:57:30 PM »
wow you guys really pack it in! what an epic family trip! keep it coming!
My greatest achievement? I am fluent in FRIENDS quotes

Offline thaber

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2017, 11:24:33 AM »
Day Seven - Shabbos

Activity:
Morning Temple Square - So this may be a little controversial, but this is a TR, not a halacha class.   We woke up late, had lunch and then went to Temple Square which was only a block away from our Airbnb apartment.  It really is a fascinating place with a lot to see.  I especially love learning about other religions, their history and beliefs, so this was a real treat.

I prepped my sons about the religious side of the visit and how we view Mormonism and Christianity, etc.  I'm quite open with them about what's out there and I thought this would be a good experience for them too. 

We didn't need payment or ID so didn't need to carry anything.  The museum had an automatic door so we just waited for someone else to go through first. Other than that we were able to walk around freely.  They have a tons of young female missionaries from around the world that hang around and try to talk to you. Some of them were pretty Jesus pushy and some of them were more laid back.  We had some fascinating conversations and learned a ton.  The artwork is gorgeous.

Then we decided to take the tour.  It is offered for free in any of 50 languages.  It was interesting to learn the history of the buildings at first but then got too preachy about halfway through so we got uncomfortable and separated from the tour.

Lastly there was a recital of the Tabernacle Organ. That was one thing I had never heard.  I thought it was going to be amazing but it was just OK. The world famous Mormon Tabernacle Choir was going to practice the next morning but we were heading out so couldn't watch.

Activity:
City Creek Center - An outdoor mall that's fun to walk through.  They have toy stores that the kids liked to play it and all kinds of shops.  Was a fun Shabbos afternoon activity.

That was Shabbos, we watched some Olympics on TV after havdala and then went to sleep. A lot to do tomorrow at Yellowstone!
thanks! any chance of finishing?

Offline Galitzyaner

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2017, 01:22:49 AM »
Looks like a well-planned trip; very nice!

Waiting to read about Yellowstone.

Any update?

Online yitzgar

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2019, 12:14:39 AM »
Day Seven - Shabbos

Activity:

Activity:

Anything on the remainder of the trip?

Offline ShlockDoc

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2019, 07:48:42 AM »
Anything on the remainder of the trip?

I got lazy.

Offline Divora M

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2020, 09:27:33 AM »
Thanks for posting your trip report! I am planning a trip to AZ in July with my four kids and got so many good ideas from your TR. Which hike by the Grand Canyon would you recommend for 4 kids ages 12,9,7 and 4 and keep in mind the heat as well?